PDA

View Full Version : Vermont 50 - Anyone else going this year?

jh_on_the_cape
09-22-2014, 10:12 AM
I am signed up Singlespeed for the VT50 next weekend. Anyone else here going? I am camping the night before, and coming solo this year. This is my 9th time doing it, and I am by far the least prepared. I have done lots of stuff this summer, but not much mountain biking.
This will be a ride, not a race, for me.
Let me know if you are going and would not mind some company at the pasta dinner Saturday night. Happy trails!

merlinmurph
09-22-2014, 11:14 AM
Wow, SS on that ride? I bow to you.

For those unfamiliar, this is a fantastic ride - highly recommend it. The last time I did the VT50 was in 2003 when we got flooded. I remember the winner still took less than 5 hours, where I took over 9 hours......

Have a great ride,
Murph

eippo1
09-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Yah, some running friends convinced me to sign up. I'm impressed with single speed.

I'm gonna so get crushed by it as I have only had time for 3 workouts/ week after doing d2r2. And then there's the fact that my rear brake needs to be bled, I have to reroute my dropper post, and my tubless tires aren't currently holding air...

jh_on_the_cape
09-22-2014, 12:36 PM
I have done it SS a few times before. Those were my best times. The key is to walk/run some of the steeper tech climbs. I passed lots of people doing that and it loosens up your legs and gives your butt a rest.

I did that 2003 race and finished. It was on my first wedding anniversary which is why my wife refuses to come any more. I did $$ of damage to my bike and now understand why so many people DNS.

Sounds like you need to drop your bike at the shop and pay the piper!

I have not ridden much at all, but have done the VT50 in similar shape. The key is to just ride it. Stop at all the aid stations (except the first one) for like 5 minutes each and just relax and chat with folks. It will add an hour to my time but leaves me happy and satisfied with a hard day in the saddle, rather than struggled and frustrated with my lack of training.

PM a phone number if you have room at the table.

Yah, some running friends convinced me to sign up. I'm impressed with single speed.

I'm gonna so get crushed by it as I have only had time for 3 workouts/ week after doing d2r2. And then there's the fact that my rear brake needs to be bled, I have to reroute my dropper post, and my tubless tires aren't currently holding air...

eippo1
09-24-2014, 01:56 PM
I work part time at a shop, but certainly not as a mechanic. Went there a couple nights ago to properly seat the tubes with a compressor and all good. One of the mechanics bled the rear brake for me, but it's still way soft and I think I'm done with Avid brakes. I may throw on an XT rear just for the race.
Looking forward to having some fun on the ride.

I'll PM you my # if you're around in the morning, but I'll be signed up with the novice group. Heading to Quechee after registering, so won't be there for the dinner else I'd totally invite you to join our table.

eippo1
09-25-2014, 08:43 AM
Well nevermind on the VT50 this year. Had a full lateral file cabinet come down on my leg yesterday. Nothing broken, but air cast and crutches. :mad:

jh_on_the_cape
09-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Well nevermind on the VT50 this year. Had a full lateral file cabinet come down on my leg yesterday. Nothing broken, but air cast and crutches. :mad:

That sucks! Hopefully your cast holds air better than your tires. Is it a tubeless cast? Are you running Stan's in it? 29er cast? 26er? or is it one of those new 27.5 casts?

eippo1
09-25-2014, 09:27 AM
That sucks! Hopefully your cast holds air better than your tires. Is it a tubeless cast? Are you running Stan's in it? 29er cast? 26er? or is it one of those new 27.5 casts?

Actually it's a lie. They called it an air cast, but there's no air at all. Just some foam, hard plastic and velcro straps. I have no idea where to put the sealant :p

jh_on_the_cape
09-18-2016, 04:31 PM
anyone else going to 2016 VT50?
should be fun!

christian
09-18-2016, 04:56 PM
I was signed up, but broke my fib so out.

jh_on_the_cape
09-18-2016, 05:09 PM

ouch! bummer. it would have been fun...

superbowlpats
09-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Hats off to anyone who can ride a 50 mile mtn bike race. I did the Freetown 25 today in Mass (there is also a 50 and 11). f'ng brutal race, rocks, rocks and more rocks. considering i ride my mtn bike about 2 times a year I should know better and done the 11 :crap:

did do a sweet over the bars face plant. nothing broken, just a cut nose and a mouthful of pine needles :o

Thank god its CX season!

mod6
09-18-2016, 09:11 PM
Yes, will be up along with most of my teammates. Going to hit B-street on the way up Friday to get re acclimated to riding rock terrain as it be been a while.

mod6
09-18-2016, 09:16 PM
Freetown and the VT are different beast. Lot's of climbing on gravel/jeep roads with some fun single track at VT50. Freetown is a 25 mile boulder garden. I bounce my way around there for 50 last year. Hands, arms and feet were shot for a week. Way more beat up than the VT50

Hats off to anyone who can ride a 50 mile mtn bike race. I did the Freetown 25 today in Mass (there is also a 50 and 11). f'ng brutal race, rocks, rocks and more rocks. considering i ride my mtn bike about 2 times a year I should know better and done the 11 :crap:

did do a sweet over the bars face plant. nothing broken, just a cut nose and a mouthful of pine needles :o

Thank god its CX season!

MrDangerPants
09-18-2016, 09:20 PM
anyone else going to 2016 VT50?
should be fun!

Yup. Really looking forward to it. Staying with friends in Etna, NH. Will be riding this (http://mrdangerpants.tumblr.com/image/144470216042).

Come on up anyway and drink beer!

jh_on_the_cape
09-19-2016, 05:46 AM
Looks fast braaaap.
I will be on an orange Santa Cruz and most likely wearing an orange shirt. If you see me we can do the secret handshake.

Yup. Really looking forward to it. Staying with friends in Etna, NH. Will be riding this (http://mrdangerpants.tumblr.com/image/144470216042).

Come on up anyway and drink beer!

MrDangerPants
09-19-2016, 06:17 AM
Looks fast braaaap.

If only I were.... :)

I will be on an orange Santa Cruz and most likely wearing an orange shirt. If you see me we can do the secret handshake.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm registered in the Sport class/MasterI (Wave 4).

jh_on_the_cape
09-19-2016, 06:48 AM
Sport veteran wave 3 here.

If only I were.... :)

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm registered in the Sport class/MasterI (Wave 4).

cheshirecycle
09-26-2018, 11:23 AM
is anyone selling there spot? I want in!

MrDangerPants
09-27-2018, 06:59 AM
is anyone selling there spot? I want in!

Sorry, not selling my spot but really excited for the ride this year! Considerably cooler and more seasonal than last year. Forecast is 65 and sunny pretty much all weekend (versus 90+ degrees on race day last year). Woohoo!

jh_on_the_cape
08-29-2019, 08:29 AM
One month to 2019 VT50. Who is in? I am running the 50k this year. My first time that distance and I am super excited about it.
Fingers crossed for happy weather!

MattTuck
08-30-2019, 08:42 AM
One month to 2019 VT50. Who is in? I am running the 50k this year. My first time that distance and I am super excited about it.
Fingers crossed for happy weather!

A lot of locals ride it, but not me. Good luck though. 50K on a mountain bike sounds hard, cannot imagine running it!

jh_on_the_cape
08-30-2019, 09:15 AM
A lot of locals ride it, but not me. Good luck though. 50K on a mountain bike sounds hard, cannot imagine running it!

Bike ride and real run are 50 miles. I am doing the lite version at 50km. It's only as hard as you make it. If you take your time, it's just a long fun day. But if you race it...