PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mrs William needs a new vehicle....

William
03-10-2006, 07:30 AM
So I'm thinking it's time to add another vehicle to the William family collection. Mrs William wants a four wheel drive for snow driving, cruising around the property, taking any parking spot she wants at the grocery store, and have the ability to go where ever the heck she pleases. For the forumites who own the Maximog (and I know you're out there) , please give me your opinions and experience with this vehicle.

Thanks,

William ;)

www.maximog.com

http://www.maximog.com/images/sublevel/34_view_big.jpg

Bruce K
03-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Looks like it might be a little tough in parking garages.

As for finding a space in the lot, just straddle one of those little "rice rockets" the local hotrodders are running around in. It should fit right under that mutha! :banana:

BK

Smiley
03-10-2006, 07:52 AM
FORD ESCAPE , it will fit your behind inside nicely sir :)

Bruce K
03-10-2006, 08:21 AM
If you are truly serious William, we just got an Acura MDX.

It is a great vehicle. Decent mileage, seats for 7, excellent storage with the 3rd seat down (2 bikes vertically inside with seatposts removed), and more bells, whistles, and toys than you could imagine.

BK

big D
03-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Essentially the same vehicle as the Acura MDX but a little cheaper.

Essentially the same engine. I thnk they built in Canada. very reliable and decent size.

coylifut
03-10-2006, 08:53 AM

Essentially the same engine. I thnk they built in Canada. very reliable and decent size.

Hoda Pilot? The only whay Willaim is going to fit in a Honda Pilot is to cut his legs off.

93legendti
03-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Volvo XC90--best car I have owned since my 1983 Supra.

gary135r
03-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Does that thing come with a machine gun?

pale scotsman
03-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Here's a classic on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-UNIMOG-406-DOKA-1974-UNIMOG-406-DOKA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6315QQitemZ4618434 090QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Keith A
03-10-2006, 09:22 AM
I would certainly look at Subaru's. They have been doing the all-wheel drive thing for a long time and have this available on all of their vehicles which range from sedans to small/mid-sized SUV types.

Bruce K
03-10-2006, 09:53 AM
I have a Volvo XC wagon (my 3rd Volvo wagon). While I like it, I like the MDX MUCH better. It has a smaller turning circle, actually less body roll, and more usable space. The XC90 is an SUV body on the same platform as the wagon and had no attraction for me..

The Pilot is basically the same but the Acura is trimmed out a little nicer and seems to be a little trimmer dimensionally.

Before we got the MDX, we looked at almost every SUV out there. Dodge, Ford, VW, Nissan, Toyota, Infinity, Lexus, Honda. We liked the MDX the best.

Your problem, William, is not what Mrs. William will like, but what will you actually fit in. :rolleyes: ;) :D

BK

Headwinds
03-10-2006, 09:56 AM
I think that THING would look better in yellow! BTW, I am assuming it's also HYBRID, no?

I mean, it takes GAS and DIESEL and JET FUEL....

fiamme red
03-10-2006, 10:03 AM
When you need to park this baby, you can just flatten any cars in your way.

http://www.avonhill.com/thumbnails/military/M113_Lynx.jpeg

Ozz
03-10-2006, 10:52 AM

I have a Pilot and have liked it. It is essentially the same platform as the MDX. It has less "bling" (i.e. wood trim, accessories, etc), but has a bit more interior room and runs on regular gas (about 10-15 less bhp). One thing it has that my wife likes is that the shifter is on the steering column rather than between the front seats. This allows Honda to put a nice storage area between the seats, which holds her purse nicely.

We looked at both when shopping, along with the Volvo XC70 and Nissan Murano. The Pilot gave us the most bang for buck as far as room and such. None of these vehicles should be confused for anything to be taken seriously off-road. Dirt road and ski resort driving is about all I would commit them to.

Don't worry about fitting inside...our Pilot is the only car I have owned where I didn't have to run the seat all the back on the rails. I'm 6'2", and there is another 2 or 3 inches I can move the seat back. It it is also plenty wide. If I recall correctly, it is somewhere between 5 and 8 inches wider than the Jeep Grand Cherokee we had previously.

BTW - The DVD player is a lifesaver on long trips....wireless headphones and all. We get our music, the kids get their "Dora the Explorer".

Dr. Doofus
03-10-2006, 11:02 AM
doof has a *vintage* 1988 S-10 4wd, 150,00 miles, that he will trade to William for:

1 Serotta CDA frameset:

57 cm c-t-c
56.5 cm c-t-c tt
16.5 cm ht
8cm bb drop
73 sta
73.5 hta
OS tubing
special kelly bedford crit machine pixie dust

deal?

pdxmech13
03-10-2006, 03:14 PM
I want that same bike. :beer:

slowgoing
03-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Pilot or MDX. Plenty of room, plenty of power, low emissions. The only thing I didn't like was the brakes (mediocre braking distances), so I upgraded to drilled Brembos at the Acura dealership, and they work as well as those on an X5. Even with the upgrade, the thing still cost a lot less than anything else I was considering.

christian
03-10-2006, 04:23 PM
That thing is lame. Get a Hägglunds BV206. Plenty of room for bikes in the back.

-Christian

Kevin
03-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Take a look at the new Audi Q7. Great vehicle.

Kevin

Too Tall
03-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Tree hugger. I KNOW you are just angling for a motorcycle and that's a shuck to soften her up?

So? How many gallons to the mile you s'ppose?

Kevin
03-11-2006, 06:29 AM
For the forumites who own the Maximog (and I know you're out there) , please give me your opinions and experience with this vehicle.

Thanks,

William ;)

I just found out that the Maximog designer lives about 45 minutes from my house and according to mutual associates he owns a Serotta. Perhaps I can get him to bring the Maximog to the next forum event. I can just picture Ben holding a Meivici and asking if anyone wants to take it for a ride, while the Maximog is also available to take off roading.

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
03-11-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm surprised at you! You would actually embarass Ben by leaving him standing there all alone like that?

For shame, FOR SHAME! :mad: :no:

OR . . . is this just your ploy to get the Meivici all to yourself for the day? ;)

But, thinking more about this, that Maxi-ugly car thing looks like it could handle some pretty deep mud and water, and there IS that large swamp just down the road from the factory, behind the Saratoga Spring Water bottling plant . . .

BBD

William
03-11-2006, 08:30 AM
I just found out that the Maximog designer lives about 45 minutes from my house and according to mutual associates he owns a Serotta. Perhaps I can get him to bring the Maximog to the next forum event. I can just picture Ben holding a Meivici and asking if anyone wants to take it for a ride, while the Maximog is also available to take off roading.

Kevin

I say we get Ben to build a stable of Meivici Cross bikes which we can then load onto a fleet of Maximogs and cruise into the hinterlands behind the factory and have the official REMOTE SEROTTA OPEN HOUSE M&M CROSS EVENT. Maximogs and Meivici Cross bikes to test all weekend long. The Campin, Moggin, and Crossin weekend.

"ALL IN FAVOR SAY.........I (eye)!!!"

William (aka: Mogman) ;)

ti_boi
03-11-2006, 01:52 PM
I have a Volvo XC wagon (my 3rd Volvo wagon). While I like it, I like the MDX MUCH better. It has a smaller turning circle, actually less body roll, and more usable space.

BK

Our XC is great for power and handling....I liked the seats in the V70 we had prior to the XC much better...they were firmer with better lumbar support.

I just got a new 325Xi Sedan (BMW)....actually it is an 05....but it is 'new' to me...I love it. Great all around handling and performance. Practical 4 door car, with leg room and GREAT Seats! The heated sport seats are SU-BLIME!

Uber Alles.

beungood
03-11-2006, 03:13 PM
They put a gas motor in the Maximog? They should have thrown in a Duramax Diesel and Allison Transmission. More Horsepower and better mileage and durability! I vote for the Mog anyway. :fight: