PDA

View Full Version : Praxisworks BB question

Onno
09-21-2014, 02:16 PM
I managed to fix the noisy drivetrain on my new used Parlee with a new DuraAce chain. Yay!

But now the bike has developed a serious, and rapidly worsening, BB creak. The bike has a Praxisworks BB30 press in bottom bracket. I've worked on lots of bottom brackets on my previous bikes, but this is my first press fit. The instructions for the BB say that the left side is pressed in, and the right (drive) side is screwed in. Is it OK for me to try tightening the threaded side? I've already tried simply tightening the cranks, but that made no difference. If it's making lots of noise, does that mean that the bearings are shot? This would be surprising, since I think they have about 1500 miles on them.

Any advice welcome! I suspect I'll have to take into the shop, though I just hate doing that.

nicrump
09-21-2014, 03:02 PM
praxis has great tech videos on their site. you should check em out. will probably answer all your questions.

oldpotatoe
09-22-2014, 07:25 AM
I managed to fix the noisy drivetrain on my new used Parlee with a new DuraAce chain. Yay!

But now the bike has developed a serious, and rapidly worsening, BB creak. The bike has a Praxisworks BB30 press in bottom bracket. I've worked on lots of bottom brackets on my previous bikes, but this is my first press fit. The instructions for the BB say that the left side is pressed in, and the right (drive) side is screwed in. Is it OK for me to try tightening the threaded side? I've already tried simply tightening the cranks, but that made no difference. If it's making lots of noise, does that mean that the bearings are shot? This would be surprising, since I think they have about 1500 miles on them.

Any advice welcome! I suspect I'll have to take into the shop, though I just hate doing that.

Lotsa grease in the BB shell, around the spindle, around any threads??

Onno
09-22-2014, 07:28 AM
I found excellent videos on installation and removal, but nothing on the problem of sudden-onset-bottom-bracket-noise. Indeed, their promotional material insists that Praxis bottom brackets solve this problem for press-fit bbs. I'm guessing that it was either installed incorrectly, or that one of the bearings is shot.