PDA

View Full Version : Merlin

jpw
03-10-2006, 05:16 AM
When did Merlin go back to 'normal' head tube/ set designs?

Tom Kellogg
03-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Merlin went back to attractive head tubes about a few months before Vegas last year. The only model left with an internal headset is the all carbon one. Helps?

jpw
03-10-2006, 07:26 AM
Tom, thank you.

Is is known what influenced their decision to make the change as this aspect of frame design has always been a popular chestnut for discussion?

Previously I've always discounted Merlin as a 'possible' due to their head tubes. I still prefer the Wright style dropout design though, but they're getting there.

Tom Kellogg
03-10-2006, 09:25 AM
My best guess is that those of us who really disliked the internal headset look finally were listened to when it became clear that it was really hurting sales. That era is now over.

As far as the drops go, they are designed entirely from a functional point of view. Because of the length (or lack thereof) they are the lightest and stiffest Ti drops out there. There just isn't anything there that doesn't need to be there, but that beefy chain stay tab is just the ticket to keep the chain stay and rear axle locked in alignment. Not too pretty, but boy, they do work. The longer, more delicate ones do look nicer, but they do flex more. Hope this helps.

Fixed
03-10-2006, 09:31 AM
bro i.m.h.o. one of the best parts is t.k.'s name on the chain stay .cheers :beer:

Climb01742
03-10-2006, 09:31 AM
while we're talking merlins...stock merlins' headtubes seem on the short side to me. how does a company decide what height to make a headtube? merci.

Tom Kellogg
03-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Climb:

The answer, as always is "it depends." On the Works frames which are really, purely race frames, the head tubes are fully minimal with only 5mm head tube extension above the amount required to fabricate the frame. The "Classic" (Extralight and Cyrene) road frames have somewhat taller head tubes and the frames designed specifically to have either a more upright position or for women who on average need less saddle to bar drop have taller head tubes still.

I hope that makes sense. When I was designing the frames, it made sense to me, but then I am old and gray and loosing all my senses, so what do I know?

Sandy
03-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Climb:

The answer, as always is "it depends." On the Works frames which are really, purely race frames, the head tubes are fully minimal with only 5mm head tube extension above the amount required to fabricate the frame. The "Classic" (Extralight and Cyrene) road frames have somewhat taller head tubes and the frames designed specifically to have either a more upright position or for women who on average need less saddle to bar drop have taller head tubes still.

I hope that makes sense. When I was designing the frames, it made sense to me, but then I am old and gray and loosing all my senses, so what do I know?

A WHOLE lot more than the young ones, with no gray hair, and all their senses. It is called experience.

Very old, no hair, and no senses at all,

Senile Sandy

Tom Kellogg
03-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Sandy:

Here is your weekend buddy, ready to relax.

Tom Kellogg
03-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Sandy. PM your E-mail address so I can send you the photo.