PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit water bottle cages?

Aaron O
09-20-2014, 04:25 PM
I purchased some supposedly new Elite ciussi inox cages from eBay...I own several pairs for comparison. The ones I was sent have a slightly different logo, cheaper feeling plastic buttons and shoddier construction. Has anyone else heard of this? I am 99% certain that these are knockoffs, but I just can't believe there is enough margin to have bothered.

rippledabs
09-20-2014, 04:52 PM
I think knocking off bottle cage is pretty common.

I ordered probably half a dozen of the 'bontraggger xxx' cages off ebay. (@ $5 vs $40 msrp)

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-20-2014, 04:57 PM

Aaron O
09-20-2014, 05:00 PM
I'm sure you gents are right...I didn't think elite would have sold enough of them to make it attractive to a counterfeiter counting on economy of scale for profit.

So elite hasn't changed these and I'm unaware...I guess they are fake.

jr59
09-20-2014, 05:08 PM
Seems to me that they will fake anything. They can't have that much in them as knock offs, so it's a high % of profit on any # they sell.

bicimechanic
09-20-2014, 06:31 PM
I used to stock Elite cages in the shop. The last batch I ordered seemed cheaper, different finish and decal. Printed on the hang card was Made in China. I still had a few cages from the last order that were Italian made. These all came from a US distributor. Apparently Elite moved manufacturing to China. I'm assuming the same for stainless. And it's not mentioned in catalog descriptions etc.

Dead Man
09-20-2014, 07:11 PM
Pretty crazy how you can get crap shipped over from China... item AND shipping.... for LESS than the cost of shipping alone from places stateside.

Aaron O
09-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Hmmmmm - maybe they're real, but quality changed?

Ken Robb
09-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Hmmmmm - maybe they're real, but quality changed?

They are real. Real crap! :banana:

Keith A
09-20-2014, 11:14 PM
This is very disappointing. Always liked these cages.

Aaron O
09-20-2014, 11:26 PM
Seriously - I'll have to try and stock up on old ones. If these are the updated versions, I shan't be buying them again. I almost wish it had been counterfeit.

When did production change?

CunegoFan
09-21-2014, 02:10 AM
They are real. Real crap! :banana:

They're real and they're unspectacular.

abalone
09-21-2014, 08:36 AM
The old elite cages were kinda overrated to begin with. Bottles routinely get ejected riding over rough surfaces like cobblestones and such.

Aaron O
09-21-2014, 08:48 AM
The old elite cages were kinda overrated to begin with. Bottles routinely get ejected riding over rough surfaces like cobblestones and such.
I didn't have that happen, but they did mar the bottles. I typically use large bottles, so they get held pretty firmly.

Ahneida Ride
09-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Pretty crazy how you can get crap shipped over from China... item AND shipping.... for LESS than the cost of shipping alone from places stateside.

Not surprised at all.

I suspect the competition is sourcing leather handlebar tape from China
at 1/8 my production cost in the USA.

( and is retailed at the price of HB)

The end consumer will judge if the quality is comparable.

campy man
09-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Just bought a pair a few months ago and was disapointed the medallion seemed really cheap compared to years ago. The older models the medallion seemed like a real coin.

Been using the same model for a very long time and never had a water bottle jump out the cage. Some of the roads in my area need some repair but nothing like Roubaix type cobbles.

Ken Robb
09-21-2014, 03:29 PM
I have a well-used pair that must be at least 15 years old and never lost a bottle. Can't we bend the arms a bit to get them as tight as we want?

Aaron O
09-21-2014, 03:36 PM
I have a well-used pair that must be at least 15 years old and never lost a bottle. Can't we bend the arms a bit to get them as tight as we want?

I do.