PDA

View Full Version : OT: space heater recommendation?

Climb01742
09-20-2014, 01:05 PM
We live in an older home without heating zones, meaning to get parts of the house warm we need to fire up the furnace and get all the radiators hissing, steaming and hot. But for tweener fall days like today, or cool but not cold winter days, that's overkill and slow.

I've found a good small space heater for our smaller rooms but I'd like to find a living room size space heater. Has anyone found a good heater for a space about 15' by 15'? There are so many types of space heaters, my head is spinning from the search. Any help greatly appreciated.

gasman
09-20-2014, 02:40 PM
We have a couple of the oil-filled radiant heaters that we use just for this indication. I think they are made by DeLohngi but several companies make them. No problems after many years and they look similar to old style steam radiators.

93legendti
09-20-2014, 02:54 PM
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/4e60d32e116f58bbb1696ab44aada516_zpse3da5081.jpg

We have 2 of these, bought when a furnace went out in the dead of winter. Works great in a big bedroom...iirc, it was less than $80- bought 6 years ago at Home Depot

Richard
09-20-2014, 03:00 PM
2nd the Vornado. I have a similar one, but it has a thermostat on it. Put it in a room, set the temperature, takes care of itself. Mine is about 10 years old and still running quietly.

kramnnim
09-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Aren't the electric ones all limited to 5500 BTU or something?

rnhood
09-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Yes but 5500 BTU will likely take the chill off a 15 X 15 room especially if its relatively closed in. A larger unit will require a 230V circuit. Most living rooms don't provide this circuit in the living room.

1centaur
09-20-2014, 04:57 PM
One note on the oil filled radiators: while they provide a mellow heat, they tend to be 1500W appliances, the limit of residential outlets. After getting hot plugs and some scorching at the outlet (we replaced a plug along the way) I read Amazon reviews and found quite a few people reporting the exact same problem (or fires). Our electrician said a heavy duty outlet would not help because the issue would remain in the wiring of the house. I went with an 1100W forced air heater and haven't looked back.

That's a bathroom and we run it at night so my early morning shower does not force me out into a frigid room, so I can't comment on the 15x15 ability.

carpediemracing
09-20-2014, 05:24 PM
One note on the oil filled radiators: while they provide a mellow heat, they tend to be 1500W appliances, the limit of residential outlets. After getting hot plugs and some scorching at the outlet (we replaced a plug along the way) I read Amazon reviews and found quite a few people reporting the exact same problem (or fires). Our electrician said a heavy duty outlet would not help because the issue would remain in the wiring of the house. I went with an 1100W forced air heater and haven't looked back.

+1 on the electrical limits of a normal house. The heater elements on all normal electricity based heaters will be limited to 1500w. The rest of it is packaging, mass (for heat energy), and distribution.

To get actual substantial heat you realistically want to have a combustion type heater (burning something, propane, kerosene, wood, etc).

Having tried a few different electric heaters I learned that they didn't do very much in the rooms I needed the heat. This was in a terribly (actually un-) insulated house with plaster walls, 1940 era. Ultimately I had the house better insulated and the oil bill dropped by about 2/3 or so (blown in insulation, new windows, new roof, more insulation in the attic).

On the other hand we have a not-best window pellet stove, rated for a smaller space, but it heated our 1500SF house fine when we didn't have power for a week a couple years ago. We ran the fan and the igniter off of a 1600w generator. House was consistently 40? deg F warmer than outside. This is a different house and it's reasonably well insulated, good windows, etc (1984 era).

Dale Alan
09-20-2014, 05:51 PM
I use an EdenPure 1500 watt,amazing little rig. Very efficient for an electric heater.

oliver1850
09-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Electric only?

What about a wall mount ventless gas unit? May not be the best thing for a small tight space but great cost/BTU.

fungusamungus33
09-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Direct vent LP "fireplace" is a great option... Vent-less leads to condensation and moisture issues...

We like ours so much that we plan to add one or more to my girlfriend's business...

veloduffer
09-21-2014, 09:56 PM
+1 on Vornado

Circulates the heat so it isn't just a hotspot like some heaters. Plus, it is cool to the touch, so it's safe for kids and pets.