PDA

View Full Version : Bucket List O.T. (kinda)

bobswire
09-20-2014, 10:05 AM
I'm of a mind like Jerry Seinfeld, I had a bucket list to do before I turned 60, now that I'll be going on to 70 and that list not getting any shorter I changed the"B" on my Bucket list to "F" and now I'm done with it. :)

MadRocketSci
09-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Saw that on Bill Maher....interesting to see how a good comedian like seinfeld can make politicians and their lame attempts at common folk humor squirm.

oliver1850
09-20-2014, 08:16 PM
My bucket list:

Meet bobswire and hear all his Fillmore stories: compare with my neighbor's - he claims to have been there for most every show back in the heyday.

rounder
09-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Same here. I would like to hear more Filmore stories. I went to lots of concerts. but never made it to a Filmore show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcJo_q6nBvs

Louis
09-20-2014, 11:15 PM
In a related matter, until what age do you think you'll be riding at least 100 miles a week? 75 yrs? 85yrs? Up until the very end?

I would think that initially, shortly after retirement, (assuming you don't wait way, way too long, which I don't plan on doing) you're still not incredibly ancient and you have more time, so I figure it shouldn't be a problem at all, and you could easily become an even better rider than earlier in your life. But eventually, as the aches and pains add up and your body just doesn't recover as quickly as it used to, it will become a bigger challenge.

I'm hoping that even if I can only do 10 miles a go, on flat ground, that cycling remains a fun part of my life until the medical-industrial complex puts me away for good.

bobswire
09-21-2014, 10:26 AM
In a related matter, until what age do you think you'll be riding at least 100 miles a week? 75 yrs? 85yrs? Up until the very end?

I would think that initially, shortly after retirement, (assuming you don't wait way, way too long, which I don't plan on doing) you're still not incredibly ancient and you have more time, so I figure it shouldn't be a problem at all, and you could easily become an even better rider than earlier in your life. But eventually, as the aches and pains add up and your body just doesn't recover as quickly as it used to, it will become a bigger challenge.

I'm hoping that even if I can only do 10 miles a go, on flat ground, that cycling remains a fun part of my life until the medical-industrial complex puts me away for good.

I'll be hitting 70 next year yet feel I'm a better (as in efficient) rider now than I was 20 years ago, I'm better climber in that I find a pace I'm comfortable with and settle into a rhythm that gets me to the top without my heart ringing in my ears as it did years ago. Kinda like the turtle and the hare. I'm still very agile and make it a habit to run up stairs. I haven't lost that much speed on a bike but then again I never raced,so I never found my limits. Downhills, no fear. You are right in that strenuous rides I need more time to recover, two or three a week at most.
I think living in San Francisco/Bay Area with all our hills and terrain is an advantage in helping keep one fit year round.