PDA

View Full Version : BB standards, or lack of standards...

thwart
09-19-2014, 08:19 AM
I thought this vid was interesting in that it's somewhat critical of the new BB standards, in spite of its venue, VeloNews… where, like most mainstream cycling media, it seems that anything new and pushed by major manufacturers must be good.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/09/video/ask-a-mechanic-different-bottom-bracket-standards_346436

parris
09-19-2014, 08:44 AM
Thanks for sharing. The mechanic hit on a big issue of loose tolerance in manufacturing.

bobswire
09-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Kudos, like you I'm surprised by his candor from this site.

I liked this statement (what with being a carpenter and all).:)
There is no need to have to use a hammer to remove or install anything on carbon frame.
He should have said "there should be no need".

disclosure:
I only buy frames that use threaded BB (especially the superior Italian threaded).

parris
09-19-2014, 08:53 AM
^ last season I was checking out a nice looking cross bike but didn't due to the bb "standard" it used. I can't stand the noises that I've heard on a number of new and in many cases expensive bikes these days.

oldpotatoe
09-19-2014, 08:57 AM
kudos, like you i'm surprised by his candor from this site.

I liked this statement (what with being a carpenter and all).:)
there is no need to have to use a hammer to remove or install anything on carbon frame.
He should have said "there should be no need".

disclosure:
I only buy frames that use threaded bb (especially the superior italian threaded).

huzza!!

bobswire
09-19-2014, 08:59 AM
huzza!!

I owe it all to you! huzza back at ya!

MattTuck
09-19-2014, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure the new standards were "designed with the best of intentions," unless you count lowering manufacturing costs as the best intention.

As I understand it, the new standards were designed for the sole benefit of manufacturers.

His comments on poor tolerances is an indictment of that motivation. If the industry is going to use something, they should atleast get the tolerances correct.

berserk87
09-19-2014, 01:37 PM
I went into cycling hibernation for a few years after 2004 due to injuries and family activities. I came back to the bike a couple of years ago and bottom bracket standards were a mind-scrambler to figure out. What a bummer.

Before I took my hiatus it was not as complicated - most were square-tapered, and there were some Octalink and Isis units coming into vogue.

I am still riding 9 speed Dura Ace. My TT bike has DA cranks with an Octalink BB. My road bike has Zipp CF cranks with an Isis unit. Both are threaded.

Threaded is all I know, firsthand. I don't want to get into fooling with pressed in units. Heck, I don't even have a frame that would accommodate pressed-fit.

I sound like a lot older fart than I really am. I am more of a late-middle-aged fart.

herb5998
09-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Yes, good video and great points. Just makes me glad that I have a threaded BB that has not caused any issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk