PDA

View Full Version : OT - iPod deals & suggestions?

jwb96
03-09-2006, 12:56 PM
I'm going to buy an iPod for my girlfriend but am trying to decide between the Nano at only 4gb or a 30gb video, with only about $40 separating the two. I actually haven't held these in my hand yet and doing so may answer my question, but she wants it for the gym and so will probably get an armband to go with it. Clearly the Nano is meant for this, but is the video model so much bigger that it would be awkward in an armband?

And anyone know a place to get a deal on these? MacMall has free engraving, case & FM transmitter, so looking for anything that can beat that.

Thanks,
Jim

Grant McLean
03-09-2006, 01:40 PM
oh geeze...don't get me started. ;-)

It seems that most 'active' users like the Nano because it's a flash
memory chip, not a tiny hard drive like the full size iPods. Nano has
no moving parts inside, so go ahead and drop it.

How much music do you have, or plan to carry with you? If she's
not a power user, or super techie, there is a downside of having more
music on your computer than fits on your iPod: you'll have to figure
out how you want to manage what you take with you. That's playlists.
If everything in your iTunes library is under 4 gig's, you are good to go.

-g

jckid
03-09-2006, 01:42 PM
I have the 30G video iPod and am quite happy with it. I haven't used it with an armband, but I think it would work fine. If she doesn't really need or want the video feature though, the Nano would probably be a little better since it's smaller and lighter. If you live near a Costco, you might check there. My local Costco carries both the Nano and 30G (although only in the white color) for a small discount--I think they're 5-10% off.

92degrees
03-09-2006, 01:43 PM
i bought a 4gb nano for rowing this winter and it's worked out very well. i would not want to exercise attached to one of the 30gb video models.

christian
03-09-2006, 02:05 PM
I have a 4GB Nano and my wife has a 4G 20GB (roughly the same size as the video). For exercising the Nano is clearly the one.

- Christian

sc53
03-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Nano for gym use, definitely. The 30 gig is just too big and bulky esp for a girl (like me)! It would do fine on Barry Bonds's arm though. There are lots of discount places to buy Pods. I think I remember samedaymusic.com and there are others. Go to www.head-fi.org and search the "portable audio" forum and you will learn of other discount sites.

aminadab
03-09-2006, 02:15 PM
You might also want to hold off on buying a video ipod now; they're most likely going to be refreshed soon. It's possible that the new models will have a much bigger screen and other features. It doesn't sound like she's really into watching tv on it, so I suggest the nano. But if she does think that she'll want to watch stuff on it, I'd check macrumors.com before you buy.

weiwentg
03-09-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm going to buy an iPod for my girlfriend but am trying to decide between the Nano at only 4gb or a 30gb video, with only about $40 separating the two. I actually haven't held these in my hand yet and doing so may answer my question, but she wants it for the gym and so will probably get an armband to go with it. Clearly the Nano is meant for this, but is the video model so much bigger that it would be awkward in an armband?

And anyone know a place to get a deal on these? MacMall has free engraving, case & FM transmitter, so looking for anything that can beat that.

Thanks,
Jim

generally, the only deals you can get on Apple products are refurbished ones (check Apple's online store), or through a student discount.

Spinner
03-09-2006, 04:13 PM
i have the 4 gb nano and it is a great product. i too debated buying the video unit, however I came to the conclusion that if i'm going to watch a video, it is most likely going to occur on my home tv or on my laptop when i travel.

the nano is an incredible product.

DollarBill
03-09-2006, 04:19 PM
I would not look for a discount. Buy it from an Apple store or Apple on-line directly. My grandson bought one from a retailer and Apple will not warranty it directly. You need to go back to the store where it was purchased. That takes a long time and you may be without it for a while.

Just my 2cents.

Bill

terry b
03-09-2006, 10:29 PM
I have a 4GB Nano and a 60GB gen 5 video. For the use you're describing, the Nano would be far superior. Unfortunately, it only holds about 29 hours of music. ( :) ) I started with the Nano as a music source for a trip to China and decided I did not want to take a chance on the battery life being adequate for a 14 hour plane ride (it wasn't.) So I added the 60GB. Frankly, it's a big, heavy device. Great for tucking in the back of seat pocket, not so great on an armband.

Both of mine came from Apple. They're price controlled, and the only "deals" I found were small dollar amounts and generally not in stock. I hunted for days before finally caving in.

One more thing - make sure you buy a case for it that has a built in screen. Everyone I know who has used theirs without one now has a seriously scratched screen and case. For the money, the surfaces are not very durable.

My verdict - for traveling, fantastic.

oldguy00
03-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Not sure if they are still being sold, but I have a 6gb ipod mini and it works great. 6gb will hold upwards of 1500 songs, enough for most people.

TimB
03-10-2006, 06:24 AM
SanDisk has a 4GB player:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1874119&CatId=0

billrick
03-10-2006, 06:27 AM
I'd suggest both a 30g Video and a Shuffle for the gym. I use a Shuffle for the gym and running - it is cheap, tiny, indestructable, and holds approx. 5 hours of music in the smallest size. I like to create playlists for working out anyway, to make sure I don't have some slow cruddy song pop up in the middle of a hard set. No display screen, but I'm not usually looking at that anyway during a workout.

And then you would still have the big jumbo video I-pod for porting around most of your collection. Plus, with two i-pods, you don't have to share!

quattro
03-10-2006, 07:20 AM
I have the 30gb video and use it with an arm band case made by Marware for this particular unit. I use it at the gym every day either while running on the tread mill, riding a stationary bike or doing weight work, it is totally fine. There is absolutely no issue with it being heavy or to large to fit on your upper arm. This device is much thinner than prior models. If you are looking to carry more than 4gb of songs this is the one, it also holds pictures and video, I don't know if the Nano holds pictures, but even if it does the screen is much smaller. I have not used the video function yet, but will be looking into downloading content from my camcorder (anyone know what software to use for this?). I bought mine at Best Buy and also purchased the extended warranty, which I highly recommend wherever you make your purchase, these devices can be finikey(sp), good luck!

JanG
03-10-2006, 07:56 AM
One thing to consider: if you get the free engraving and you need a subsequent warranty replacement, the Apple Store can't do it for you on the spot. Both of my kids have iPods and originally wanted the engraving. However, the guy at our local Apple store discouraged it. Turns out he had good reason. We've been 2/2 for warranty replacements (painless, BTW) in the last 18 mos.

victoryfactory
03-10-2006, 09:15 AM
I like the 2gig from SanDisc
It holds about 25 albums, that's enough for me.
It's the size of your thumb and uses a AAA battery instead of a
proprietary battery which requires carrying a charger which weighs more
than the player.

VF

PS: Please don't listen to your Ipod while riding

TriJim
03-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I have not used the video function yet, but will be looking into downloading content from my camcorder (anyone know what software to use for this?)
Cucusoft's iPod Video Converter Suite is easy to use for converting most DVDs and other video files (including TV shows from a Media Center PC) to iPod/iTunes compatible format. Good luck.

Grant McLean
03-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Cucusoft's iPod Video Converter Suite is easy to use for converting most DVDs and other video files (including TV shows from a Media Center PC) to iPod/iTunes compatible format. Good luck.

If you have a Mac, there's a free shareware program called "handbrake" that
does the same.

-g

jwb96
03-11-2006, 05:22 AM
She got the 4g Nano last night and likes it quite a bit. Now it's off to get a USB 2.0 PCI card for my Mac so I don't have to pollute the iPod by using it with a PC! (USB 1.1 is SO slow!)

Grant McLean
03-11-2006, 06:58 AM
She got the 4g Nano last night and likes it quite a bit. Now it's off to get a USB 2.0 PCI card for my Mac so I don't have to pollute the iPod by using it with a PC! (USB 1.1 is SO slow!)

Get a USB charger brick too.
Your computer needs to be on for the port to charge,
which can sometimes a pain.

-g

SoCalSteve
03-11-2006, 10:36 AM

All new PC's come with USB 2.0.

I have a new Dell XPS PC and an iPod 4gig Nano. The combination is EXTREMELY fast.

Steve