PDA

View Full Version : Natalie Marino: 1920-2014

Elefantino
09-18-2014, 07:26 AM
My mom died last night.

She had been diagnosed as terminal with a recurrence of cancer back in February. She was given a few months. Strong woman that she was, she lasted seven. The last month was the hardest, particularly the last week. She had been bed-ridden since Sunday night, mostly unresponsive. My wife and son were with me at her bedside, at home, when she passed. She was 94.

I've written about my mom on this forum before. She was diagnosed with stage III ovarian in 1999 (at age 79) and went into the hospital the night before the opening stage of the Tour. She stayed there for three weeks post-op. Each afternoon we'd wait for the highlights on ESPN and on Sunday the CBS shows. My passion for cycling soon infected the rest of the oncology ward and the nurses and even some other patients would ask me how "the cancer guy" was doing. My mom got stronger every day and was released the day before Paris. We watched the Sunday broadcast on CBS together, at home, both of us crying with joy.

Cut to two years later. My dad was diagnosed with the throat cancer that would eventually kill him and I thought it'd be a good idea to raise money in his name for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. I also told the foundation of my mom's story of how Armstrong had become an inspiration. They were so captivated that they flew her out and she spoke, briefly, at one of the events. (And it's where she met her "new friends, Davis and Connie.") When my dad died she thought it would be a good idea for donations to be made in his name to the LAF. They had lots of friends. LOTS of friends. We got lots and lots of donation cards in the mail. She proudly wore her Livestrong bracelet and the picture of her with LA occupied a place of honor in her home (until Oprah, when she took it down, calling him "that jerk").

She went with me to the Tour of California a few years back, to the time trial in Palo Alto, meeting Flux (Justin Spinelli), Dave Z and others. She loved it. She always loved new things, new adventures. She went parasailing and swimming with the dolphins in Key Largo ... when she was 85.

She wore a different pin on her back right shoulder every day. She said she met the nicest people that way, and friends at church would always make her turn around to see which one she had on that Sunday. We counted the pins yesterday: She had more than 100. We plan to have them on a tray at the memorial and every woman in attendance gets one, to be worn on her own back right shoulder. I hope we have enough. Such was my mom's wealth in friends that we may not.

I write this both to honor her (as ineffectively as I can) and to thank this forum for being a much-needed distraction the last few months and days. We had given up our lives in Florida last year to move back to California to be with family and my mom lived with us. I had hoped for more time together. I cherish the time that we did have.

FlashUNC
09-18-2014, 07:33 AM
It sounds like a life truly well-lived.

My condolences on your loss.

AngryScientist
09-18-2014, 07:40 AM
your words paint a beautiful picture of a woman who lived a rich, full life. so cool that you were able to share some of your passions with her. i'm sure she's watching you and smiling from that velodrome in the sky. cheers.

roguedog
09-18-2014, 07:43 AM
Sounds like a great woman/person. Here's to a life well lived.

Thoughts to you and yours, E.

tumbler
09-18-2014, 08:15 AM
She wore a different pin on her back right shoulder every day. She said she met the nicest people that way, and friends at church would always make her turn around to see which one she had on that Sunday. We counted the pins yesterday: She had more than 100. We plan to have them on a tray at the memorial and every woman in attendance gets one, to be worn on her own back right shoulder. I hope we have enough. Such was my mom's wealth in friends that we may not.

What a beautiful post to honor your mom. She sounds like an incredible woman who touched a lot of people.

jimcav
09-18-2014, 09:03 AM
I would give anything to have been able to spend the last few months of my dad's life with/near him. I think you got to finish a lifetime of memories as well as could be hoped given those circumstances
may your dreams of her be frequent and wonderful

jim

gavingould
09-18-2014, 09:09 AM
sorry for your loss.

great, well-written tribute. the pin thing is fantastic.

bking
09-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Very sorry to hear of the loss of your mother; very happy to hear of the life she lived. you've obviously been richly blessed.

I lost my father to cancer a few years ago, it was hard. But, mothers are on a whole different level.

Again, condolences, and congratulations on a lifetime of wonderful memories. They can eventually take away the pain of the loss.

Tony
09-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Sounds like you and your mom were very close.

My condolences on your loss Elefantino

tiretrax
09-18-2014, 09:32 AM
She sounds like a remarkable woman. My condolences to your family. May she rest in peace.

guido
09-18-2014, 09:34 AM
You paint a beautiful picture of her. Loosing a parent is really hard. Sorry for your loss.

veggieburger
09-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Praying that the Lord may grant you and your family comfort in the weeks and months ahead. Lovely tribute, my condolences!

OtayBW
09-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Very sorry for your loss.............

DonH
09-18-2014, 10:19 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss.
Thats a lovely, well written tribute.

Steve in SLO
09-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Great story, great mom and great son.
Thanks for sharing during what is a tough time.

cdn_bacon
09-18-2014, 10:29 AM
My thoughts are with you.

soulspinner
09-18-2014, 10:39 AM
God bless big guy. Beautiful tribute.......

cd_davis
09-18-2014, 11:30 AM
My condolences on your loss Elefantino. A really cool Mother, bet you that your Dad and Mother already have reserved seats at the finish line of the Tour de Heaven.

cfox
09-18-2014, 12:15 PM
94? Your Mom kicked life's ass. Sounds like she was pretty awesome and lived a full life.

Keith A
09-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Thanks for sharing with us and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Loosing a parent is such a difficult thing to go through and their departure does leave a void that hasn't gone away for me.

I think you hit on the key for us all with your last statements..."I had hoped for more time together. I cherish the time that we did have."

BTW, your mom and my eldest daughter have the same first name :)

jlwdm
09-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Sorry for your loss.

I just flew into Seattle for my mother's 93rd birthday. I read your post on the bus heading to her house. She has been in good health, and still drives. The driving always scares me.

I call her at least five days a week, but we are overdue for a road trip. She does not get a lot of exercise so we go on road trips. Last year she flew to Dallas and we drove through OK, KS, NE, IA, MO, AR, TN, MS, LA and TX. In the evening we worked on her iPad skills. It was great to have a solid, block of time for just the two of us. She also learned a lot about my work since I was on Bluetooth a lot.

A few years ago my wife and I took her to Paris, but the walking was difficult.

It is wonderful to spend time with your parents as things can change quickly.

Jeff

Brian Cdn
09-18-2014, 01:14 PM
What a beautiful and touching tribute to your mother.

Condolences to you and your family.

enr1co
09-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

weaponsgrade
09-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Sorry for your loss. It sounds like she lived a long and wonderful life.

gasman
09-18-2014, 01:53 PM
What a wonderful tribute you wrote. She sounds like she was a special, special person. I'm sorry for you loss.

bikingshearer
09-18-2014, 01:58 PM
My thoughts echo everyone else's. I am so sorry she's gone, and I am so pleased for you for the time you had with her. I feel that way about both my parents.

For me, the sadness of losing my parents is more than made up for by the memories I have of them. May it be so for you, too.

Elefantino
09-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I think this is a perfect example of an answer to this question (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=155465).

She was indeed larger than life and her spirit is larger still. Shortly after she passed, it began raining here. I prefer to think of them as tears of joy.

firerescuefin
09-18-2014, 05:21 PM
Your mom's legacy sounds solid. A life well lived....someone who made the world a better place...(as overplayed as that saying can sound).

Since my dad passed this year, the entire legacy thing has really been rattling around in my brain daily as I go about being a husband, father, and professional.

Kudos to your mom. She'll be missed because of how she lived.

Saint Vitus
09-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Thank you for sharing your words of your mother's life and of her loss, it seems that she was fortunate in many ways but having a good son would be top of the list.

1centaur
09-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Good mother, good son, nature and nurture. Well done.

And BTW, what % of mothers and sons in the history of earth have had such a long and good relationship? A tiny fraction of 1%.