PDA

View Full Version : What's better for rough roads: Ti frame w/25 tires or Steel frame w/28 tires

SlackMan
09-17-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm hoping to get some helpful advice on this question. Suppose there are two frames with identical geometry except that the titanium one only fits 700x25 tires and the steel one fits 700x28 tires. The roads I ride are pretty rough chip and seal. Which frame would give the more forgiving ride? I would ride the 28 tires at lower pressure than the 25s.

Would anything change about the answer if instead of a Ti frame, it were a Ti/carbon mix frame?

I am comparing Serotta Fiertes in Ti or Ti-carbon to a steel frame with similar geo. My understanding is that they Fiertes will likely only fit 25 wide tires, but the steel frame I am considering will fit 28s.

Thanks for any thoughts.

joosttx
09-17-2014, 09:38 PM
I would argue that tire pressure is more important than the parameters that you present. iOW, the parameters you present make no diff. You'll be fine with either one. You cannot go wrong with your decision.

vav
09-17-2014, 09:41 PM
I am comparing Serotta Fiertes in Ti or Ti-carbon to a steel frame with similar geo. My understanding is that they Fiertes will likely only fit 25 wide tires, but the steel frame I am considering will fit 28s.

Thanks for any thoughts.

FWIW I had a Fierte all steel and a Fierte IT (Ti-carbon) and 28s worked fine. On the IT the fork was a Serotta O2. Can't remember the steel one.
Plus lots of variation amongst 28 tires concerning true size

Ken Robb
09-17-2014, 09:44 PM
ATMO bigger tires at lower pressures will trump any variation in frame materials. Adding suspension will of course contribute a cushier ride too. My Strada Bianca with YBB rear end and 700x30 tires is close to a magic carpet. :)

tumbler
09-17-2014, 09:46 PM
Easy... Ti frame and 28c. Just built mine up and it's :banana:

ceolwulf
09-17-2014, 09:46 PM
Some steel frames will be more comfortable than the Ti Fierte and some less.

Some 25mm tires will be more comfortable than some 28mm.

bicycletricycle
09-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Bigger tires equal lower pressure equal more comfort

MattTuck
09-17-2014, 10:01 PM
I agree with above. 28 tires, regardless of frame material.

now, there are other reasons to get a Ti frame... but for rough roads, I think I'd always opt for the bigger tire clearance.

saab2000
09-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Tires likely win. What's the steel frame? Fork?

My Serotta with 22/23mm tubulars is awful hard to beat.

dekindy
09-17-2014, 10:25 PM
The only way to know is to ride the bikes and compare them.

Between those two choices I can think of many other variables that I would consider and ride would not be one of them; assumption that both will be fantastic riding bikes.

I have a Serotta Legend SE ST with carbon stays and a Serotta F3 fork and a Waterford RS-22 made of S3 tubing and a Reynolds carbon fork. Neither were made custom for me. The guys at the LBS say my Legend with Shimano road tubeless wheels and Hutchinson road tubeless tires is the smoothest riding bike there is. I have Velocity Deep V's with Vittoria Open Pave CG on the Waterford and it is a fine riding bike also. I am afraid to put the Shimano wheel/Hutchinson tire combination on the Waterford for fear that it will ride better than my Legend!

enr1co
09-17-2014, 11:01 PM
Ti with 27's at 90-95 psi definitely helps with comfort over bumpy stuff.
I imagine a good steel frame with 27's or 28's would make for a comfortable ride also.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/IMG_2271.JPG

cnighbor1
09-17-2014, 11:01 PM
I suggest you read latest's issue bicycle Quarterly and race / ride acroos Oregon. Mostly gravel roads of all types
Jan Heine goes with lower pressure 85psi and supple tires 32c up
but 28c can work

marciero
09-18-2014, 06:04 AM
I suggest you read latest's issue bicycle Quarterly and race / ride acroos Oregon. Mostly gravel roads of all types
Jan Heine goes with lower pressure 85psi and supple tires 32c up
but 28c can work

35psi and 42 plus???

guido
09-18-2014, 06:35 AM
Higher volume of air lets you run with lower pressure. Lower pressure means a more resilient ride because the tire can flex to absorb the bumps and surface irregularities.

SlackMan
09-18-2014, 06:38 AM
Looks like the building consensus is for wider tires over different frame material. That is what my intuition was, but it's nice to get confirmation. Thanks all.

KidWok
09-18-2014, 12:59 PM
I spend most of my time these days on a Gunnar Crosshairs with 32mm Pasela TG's around 40f/50r PSI. If you're considering steel, seriously look at a Gunnar with Waterford fork. The fork is absolutely magic on rough roads.

Tai

classtimesailer
09-18-2014, 01:05 PM
FWIIW, I have three road bikes. Their maximum size tire clearances are: 23, 25, and 35. I wish each of them would fit one size larger tire. But when I acquired each one, they had all the clearance that I wanted.

KidWok
09-18-2014, 01:12 PM
FWIIW, I have three road bikes. Their maximum size tire clearances are: 23, 25, and 35. I wish each of them would fit one size larger tire. But when I acquired each one, they had all the clearance that I wanted.

Agree wholeheartedly...bumped up to 25's long before they became the norm. Like 28's even better. Now on 32's.

staggerwing
09-18-2014, 01:40 PM
I spend most of my time these days on a Gunnar Crosshairs with 32mm Pasela TG's around 40f/50r PSI. If you're considering steel, seriously look at a Gunnar with Waterford fork. The fork is absolutely magic on rough roads.

Tai

Have one of these too in a 55, and it is as represented. However, I'm bigger, and experienced brake shudder with cantis and a steerer tube mounted hanger. A Specialized fork crown mount cable hanger cured that issue. If doing over, would simply go with linear pulls.

pjmsj21
09-18-2014, 01:42 PM
I have a Gunnar Sport as well that I run Conti 4000's, a Serotta Concours (ti) with Schwalbe tubeless 25's and a Serotta Fierte IT with 4000s's.

While they are all pretty close in ride, I have to say that the Gunnar might have the best ride quality of the three. However it also has 43cm chainstays and the Waterford steel for which give it about 5cm longer wheelbase. It might not climb and handle as well as the Concours but it is a comfy bike, as is the intent of Richard's design.

I think you can really fine tune much of any material differences between bikes with tires. I am now a big fan of tubeless. With the Concours I can play with tire pressure much more than a tubed clincher. 70/75 psi in a 25mm tire is really really nice.

Tai

donevwil
09-18-2014, 02:01 PM

Yep, I'm in the same boat. How exactly does this happen (asked rhetorically) ?

Just received a bike that fits Grand Bois Cypres 32s and fenders, just what I asked for. Will probably fit 35s w/o fenders. Then Compass comes out with a 38 and I don't have a bike to run them, arrrgh.

RonW87
09-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Looks like the building consensus is for wider tires over different frame material. That is what my intuition was, but it's nice to get confirmation. Thanks all.

Wouldn't chainstay length trump frame material anyway?

SlackMan
09-18-2014, 04:06 PM

I don't know, does it? I've never had a titanium frame and don't know anyone with one to try, so all of my impressions of it are just from reading reviews or impressions by others.

tv_vt
09-18-2014, 09:28 PM
I really can't see how Ti and Steel would feel that different. Ti/carbon would, but straight ti vs straight steel? Think they both would be totally fine.

etu
09-18-2014, 09:49 PM
i would venture to guess that how "supple" you feel on a particular day will have more of an influence on the ride than either the frame material or the 5-10psi difference.

SlackMan
09-19-2014, 07:30 AM
i would venture to guess that how "supple" you feel on a particular day will have more of an influence on the ride than either the frame material or the 5-10psi difference.

Having experimented with two steel frames and various psi levels in 700x25 and 700x28 tires, I am going to "guess" no on this. There are clearly tangible differences felt in how much my arms and hands hurt at the end of a ride over some of the rough pavement I ride on.

rpm
09-19-2014, 09:45 AM
You might want to check whether the Serotta can take Conti 4000 all-season 28's. They aren't wider than 25's, but somewhat deeper, so they give a nicer ride than many 25's. If you do decide on the steel bike, I see that Michelin has a new version of the Pro Endurance that actually measures 29, and I bet that's a good tire.

I have two Strongs, one in ti and one in steel. The ti one takes 25 max and the steel one takes 32's. This summer, I seem to have spent more time on the steel one. I'm really enjoying the plushness and security of the 32 Grand Bois tires.

RonW87
09-22-2014, 01:36 PM
I don't know, does it? I've never had a titanium frame and don't know anyone with one to try, so all of my impressions of it are just from reading reviews or impressions by others.

I think framebuilders generally say design trumps material. In other words, an alu frame with long chainstays will ride smoother than a steel or Ti frame with short chainstays, all else being equal.

Ron

cnighbor1
09-22-2014, 08:17 PM
However if carrying any Beer go for very low air pressure and ride slow!!

SlackMan
09-22-2014, 08:24 PM
However if carrying any Beer go for very low air pressure and ride slow!!

Aw come on. Taking a "beer shower" from opening a shaken-up beer is fun and refreshing. :banana:

velomonkey
09-22-2014, 08:49 PM
Ti with 27's at 90-95 psi definitely helps with comfort over bumpy stuff.
I imagine a good steel frame with 27's or 28's would make for a comfortable ride also.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/IMG_2271.JPG

Hey, those are my old wheels!!!!!

martl
09-23-2014, 11:17 AM

In a series of springs, the softest spring dominates, such are the laws of Physics since Sir Isaac. So the tire always wins.

(Good thing Sir Isaac didn't know bicycles, as, as i found out by listening to experts, these things obviously defy physics on so many aspects it isn't even funny)

csm
09-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Can you imagine how a ti frame with 28s would ride?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

happycampyer
09-23-2014, 10:39 PM
Can you imagine how a ti frame with 28s would ride?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDcan't imagine...

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-tDDCnfs/0/L/i-tDDCnfs-L.jpg

or 32s for that matter...

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-HG2rBS6/0/L/i-HG2rBS6-L.jpg

enr1co
09-23-2014, 11:15 PM
Hey, those are my old wheels!!!!!

Oui, merci VeloMonkey! They made for a great ride that day- no flats and stayed true over 18 sections of pave' and some not so smooth Northern France rural roads!

On my first day of riding around east Flanders, I did experience two rear, drive side spokes that broke near the head No fault of the wheel build- Im thinking that there may have been some undue pressure on those two spokes from my being a noob at packing my break-away bike in its case.

Fortunately, was near a great bike shop in Oudenaarde named Asfra Flanders. Super helpful folks there and they quickly replaced the spokes had me back on the road in a little over an hour.