PDA

View Full Version : Can I switch Dura Ace and FSA cranks???

Dave B
03-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Seeign how they use similiar BB are you able to switch a Shimano Dura Ace/Ultegra/105 crankset with an FSA? While keeping the bb in place?

Are the attached spindles same length.

Sorry this is for the mega-exo crank and newer shimano cranksets.

Jeremy
03-09-2006, 12:38 PM
The FSA bb uses a rigid inner spacer that must be used to align the bearings and cups properly so that when the crank arm is tightened it does not side load the bearings and cause them to sieze. The Dura-Ace crank uses a preload bolt to position the cranks against the bearings with the correct preload, and then uses pinch bolts to keep the system in place. FYI, the Dura-Ace crank and bb is slightly lighter than the FSA K-Force Mega-Exo (even the compact). 785g vs 805g with all the necessary hardware. FSA lists a lighter weight for their cranks, but I have weighed 5 sets and all of them have weighed between 805g and 810g.

Jeremy

Bruce K
03-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Isn't the question really 9 speed or 10?

FSA cranks with Octalink work on Octalink 9 speed BB's, don't they?

BK

Dave B
03-09-2006, 12:52 PM
My desire is simply to switch out a normal dura ace crank to a compact one. I know they now make them in ultegra level, but I had a SLK mega exo once that I really liked. I know they make them in compact so I was wonderign if it would be an easy switch. I remember the little blue crush washer as I think they called it for the FSA.

I bet the shimano compact is cheaper anyway. Plus the switch would be wicked simple. :beer:

gone
03-09-2006, 12:58 PM
My desire is simply to switch out a normal dura ace crank to a compact one. I know they now make them in ultegra level, but I had a SLK mega exo once that I really liked. I know they make them in compact so I was wonderign if it would be an easy switch. I remember the little blue crush washer as I think they called it for the FSA.

I bet the shimano compact is cheaper anyway. Plus the switch would be wicked simple. :beer:

You're not completely clear on what you mean by FSA to Dura Ace. 9 speed? 10 speed? Octalink BB or Isis? So I'll make some assumptions:

9 speed drive train, Octalink BB. In that case, the answer is "yes" you can switch them but it's not so simple as just switching the crank arms. You'll need to lower your front derailleur when switching to the compact crank and you'll also need to shorten your chain a few links assuming you're running 53x39 on the Dura Ace and 50x34 or 50x36 on the compact. To simplify the process assuming you want to make this switch reasonably often, you could keep two chains of the appropriate lengths.

Dave B
03-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Sorry, I need to clarify

Shimano 10spd crankset with external bb to a FSA mega-exo external bb

Knew about the derailure lowering, but appreciate the comments tremendously!

Too Tall
03-09-2006, 01:24 PM
No.

Sandy
03-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Jeremy and Too Tall both said no. The experts have spoken. Time to go to another thread.

Sandy

Spicoli
03-10-2006, 05:31 AM
Seeign how they use similiar BB are you able to switch a Shimano Dura Ace/Ultegra/105 crankset with an FSA? While keeping the bb in place?

Are the attached spindles same length.

Sorry this is for the mega-exo crank and newer shimano cranksets.
Sorry but I am a little slower than most and I dont know if this helps but I HAVE been using an ultegra 6600(newest incarnation) Ital. BB with a set of FSA Slk cranks with no problems for quite a while? Yes external BB(Shimano) and two piece crank(FSA BB spindle attached to drive side).

Did I read this correctly?