PDA

View Full Version : New California "3-Foot" Law

Cornfed
09-17-2014, 04:43 PM
New law went into effect yesterday that requires drivers give cyclists a 3-foot buffer when passing.

Good news coverage: http://ktla.com/2014/09/16/california-drivers-must-now-give-3-feet-buffer-when-passing-bicyclists/

and a very good press release from the CHP: https://local.nixle.com/alert/5267954/?sub_id=855952

The last bullet is my favorite: "Give and Get Respect."

msl819
09-17-2014, 05:14 PM
We have the same law down in Louisiana, not that the motorist are aware of it. It is good to know that it is there in the event it is needed. Hopefully California motorist are more understanding than our. We do had plenty of lightly traveled roads so we just seek to avoid cars as much as possible.

johnniecakes
09-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Pennsylvania has a 4 foot law, to bad nobody knows or cares. I have not noticed any difference since it was passed into law over a year ago.

p nut
09-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Echoing what others said, same law in Utah. Neither awareness or enforcement exist

oldpotatoe
09-17-2014, 05:38 PM
New law went into effect yesterday that requires drivers give cyclists a 3-foot buffer when passing.

Good news coverage: http://ktla.com/2014/09/16/california-drivers-must-now-give-3-feet-buffer-when-passing-bicyclists/

and a very good press release from the CHP: https://local.nixle.com/alert/5267954/?sub_id=855952

The last bullet is my favorite: "Give and Get Respect."

I like that but CO has had this for a while. Some give ya room, most don't. Unenforceable.

false_Aest
09-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Helps that more than a few cops and firefighters are friends with a few LBSs here.

It's been pretty well publicized here. Hopefully I'll get a little more room but it'll be hard specially during rush-hour.

54ny77
09-17-2014, 06:19 PM
yeah, good luck with that.

(having just ridden on the insanity that is pch a couple weeks ago....)

I would bet 99.9% of the populace doesn't know or, perhaps more relevant, doesn't care.

Pal of mine almost got killed the other weekend, motorist deliberately tailgated within inches of rear wheel, followed him off the road into a private gated community (cyclist turned off the road in effort to get away) and brandished a potentially dangerous weapon threatening serious bodily harm. He clearly had anger management issues... Somehow, I don't see him thinking, "Gee honey, now that they passed this law, I ought to give this nice cyclist 3 feet of clearance...before I sandwich him between my van and that parked car."

Shin Getter
09-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Has anyone read the comments on KTLA or any of the local news Facebook pages?

There are some angry, ignorant, uneducated, and some plain downright stupid responses from drivers.

donevwil
09-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Drivers who care about human life or don't live their lives distracted already give me 3' or more. The others are probably more likely to run me off the road now that they feel victimized by this well intended, but unenforceable law. Our understaffed police force doesn't even stop drivers using cell phones, why would they stop someone passing me < 3' to wield that hefty $35 fine?

Cornfed
09-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Maybe this would help ...

http://fly6.com/

Although I almost wish it looked more like a camera, for this purpose.

beeatnik
09-17-2014, 07:15 PM
yeah, good luck with that.

(having just ridden on the insanity that is pch a couple weeks ago....)

I would bet 99.9% of the populace doesn't know or, perhaps more relevant, doesn't care.

Pal of mine almost got killed the other weekend, motorist deliberately tailgated within inches of rear wheel, followed him off the road into a private gated community (cyclist turned off the road in effort to get away) and brandished a potentially dangerous weapon threatening serious bodily harm. He clearly had anger management issues... Somehow, I don't see him thinking, "Gee honey, now that they passed this law, I ought to give this nice cyclist 3 feet of clearance...before I sandwich him between my van and that parked car."

When you lived here were you ever ticketed? If you weren't that may explain your, um skepticism.

I'm not naive about the power dynamic between drivers and cyclists. I'm also not naive in expecting police agencies to want to devote services to protecting cyclists. However, I am aware of many municipalities being mired in budget crises and I'm also aware of the impact of ticket revenues for city governments. So, call me a cynic but another reason to ticket drivers may be a blessing in disguise for cyclists.

donevwil
09-17-2014, 07:20 PM

There are some angry, ignorant, uneducated, and some plain downright stupid responses from drivers.

You're not kidding. Comments questioning how to yield > 3' to cyclists riding (illegally) two or more abreast, or that cyclists should stick to sidewalks and bike paths. I won't even go into the comments from the professional anonymous internet tough guys/gals.

All most non-cyclists know about this law is from it's title, "3 foot law" or "3 foot buffer for cyclists". It would have been a service to all cyclist if it had simply been called the "Pass-when-safe law".

When you lived here were you ever ticketed? If you weren't that may explain your, um skepticism.

I'm not naive about the power dynamic between drivers and cyclists. I'm also not naive in expecting police agencies to want to devote services to protecting cyclists. However, I am aware of many municipalities being mired in budget crises and I'm also aware of the impact of ticket revenues for city governments. So, call me a cynic but another reason to ticket drivers may be a blessing in disguise for cyclists.

I agree, but $35? That's more of a joke or insult than a penalty, deterrent or potential revenue source. Even with the added ticket processing fees it's a joke.

staggerwing
09-17-2014, 07:59 PM
I agree, but $35? That's more of a joke or insult than a penalty, deterrent or potential revenue source. Even with the added ticket processing fees it's a joke.

Imagine some would be fine with a $35 ticket for the opportunity to "teach" a cyclist a lesson.

The only thing I've noticed to improve cyclist/motorist distance with average drivers are a really bright rear flasher and loud clothing.

ultraman6970
09-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Many states have that law but there is one thing IMO...

If the rider is like that woman that was riding in the middle of the road waiting for the cars to give her the 3 feet of room, it could be irritating for the drivers and understandable.

beeatnik
09-17-2014, 08:26 PM

In the City of Los Angeles, that $35 ticket becomes $120-$140 due to "court costs." Then you have the issue of a point on your license and increased insurance rates which already average $100+/monthly for a driver with a good record. That alone should be a deterrent.

And let's not forget that many police agencies use "traffic stops," as a form of proactive policing. They stop you for a minor violation and find warrants or other violations that lead to vehicles being impounded.

In any case, all the local news outlets are giving the new law very positive coverage. One station had a reporter ride alongside an LAPD bike cop for a few blocks on Sunset Blvd, interviewing him about the new requirements and penalties.

tumbler
09-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Regardless of the enforcement issues and the pathetic fine, I still think this is a good thing. It reminds motorists that we are legitimate road users and gives police a specific violation to cite if they decide to crack down on this. Some departments and individual officers (http://www.plattyjo.com/whos-sfpdbiketheft-meet-the-man-behind-the-twitter-handle-officer-friedman/) are actually supportive to cyclists. If this gives them another tool for helping us, there's no harm in that.

I also think that there are drivers who will adapt their behavior, regardless of police enforcement, if this law gets enough exposure. I'm reminded of the move over laws (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Move_over_law) that were passed to protect police who are stopped on the roadway. I've never seen or heard of anyone getting a ticket for not moving over, but I noticed a definite change in behavior after that was passed in my home state. Some people are genuine assholes and hate cyclists on their roads, but others have simply never ridden a bike in traffic and never gave safe passing a second thought. Hopefully this will remind some of those people to move over a little more as they pass.

BumbleBeeDave
09-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Useless law passed by politicians who want to look like they've "solved" a problem.

The only proof anyone has actually violated this law is a run over cyclist. All it means is that you get a traffic ticket for killing a cyclist.

Anybody that thinks this law really helps is incredibly naive. :crap:

BBD

pbarry
09-17-2014, 08:58 PM
The 3 ft. Law in CO seems to be working, in place for over a year. The guys I work with pay attention in our fleet trucks, usually giving 4-5 feet, and most other motorists seem to be doing the same. Promotion and enforcement are key, as with most legislation.

Edit: Just read BBD's post above. Yes, call me naive, a label that connotes youthfulness. ;) I was a Boston and NYC messenger before that was a cool thing to do, and have more stories of bike/car conflict than would be included in a poorly written novel. The new legislation being written may not have a lot of teeth, but it's a start. Baby steps and all the rest. :beer:

beeatnik
09-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Useless law passed by politicians who want to look like they've "solved" a problem.

The only proof anyone has actually violated this law is a run over cyclist. All it means is that you get a traffic ticket for killing a cyclist.

Anybody that thinks this law really helps is incredibly naive. :crap:

BBD

Respectfully, you don't know California traffic enforcement.

And this law didnt happen because of politicians, it was pushed through by major cycling activist groups.

https://calbike.org/california-bicycle-coalition-launches-i-give-3-feet-media-awareness-outreach-campaign/

http://bikinginla.com/2014/09/10/morning-links-aaa-promotes-3-foot-law-they-previously-fought-brown-legalizes-triple-bike-racks-on-buses/

David Kirk
09-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Any time I hear about a 3 foot law I want to take the law makers who begrudgingly voted in favor, and those who voted against it, and have them stand on the shoulder of the road.......or better yet have them stand with their 5 year old on the shoulder, and then I'll drive by at 70 mph and miss them by 3 feet. Laws would change in a hurry if this happened.

The idea that someone is allowed legally to come as close as 3 feet to me as they pass by with a speed difference of 50 mph is really a joke. That is the length of my arm.

Some might say better than nothing and I suppose it might be but it also gives cover to those who buzz us on the road and miss us by 3 feet to say the law is on their side.

dave

Cornfed
09-17-2014, 09:16 PM
I agree with tumbler that this is primarily an awareness and education campaign, and call me naive or optimistic or just desperate, but it's better than doing nothing.

I just hope the new law will be publicized and soon supplemented with signage like the following ...

beeatnik
09-17-2014, 09:20 PM
^finally, some common sense.

dgauthier
09-18-2014, 09:37 AM
The 3 foot law wouldn't have saved the Napster CEO who was hit from behind by a police cruiser. To obey the 3 foot law one needs to be looking at the road.

I suggest a distracted driving fine of $1000 for the first offense, followed by either loss of driving privileges or use of cell phone for 5 years for the second offense, driver gets to choose which.

Bruce K
09-18-2014, 10:32 AM
When I was in FL this past summer I had a very pleasant chat with a police officer who explained their 3 foot law and told me to call if I got buzzed by anyone.

He also reminded me to put a foot down at all stop signs or I should expect to get ticketed.

Maybe I was being naive but based on the tone I believed him on both.

BK

Steve in SLO
09-18-2014, 10:36 AM
The Friendly Cat's Paw....bound to be helpful:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=55&zenid=UvYaJdHFF3yKz-J--KhOH2

merlinmurph
09-18-2014, 11:21 AM
He also reminded me to put a foot down at all stop signs or I should expect to get ticketed.BK

Did you explain to him that all that is legally required is to stop and that you can stop on a bike without putting a foot down?

Tony T
09-18-2014, 11:28 AM
Did you explain to him that all that is legally required is to stop and that you can stop on a bike without putting a foot down?

Yes, that's a great way to get law enforcement on the side of cyclists :)

fiamme red
09-18-2014, 11:32 AM
the friendly cat's paw....bound to be helpful:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cpath=6&products_id=55&zenid=uvyajdhff3ykz-j--khoh2
Simply attach the clamp side to your bicycle and extend the telescoping cat's paw. This extends to exactly 2ft 11 and 7/8ths inches. If a motorist passes too close, the spring-loaded cat's paw will gently brush the paint of the vehicle and emit a high pitched squealing sound as the (user replaceable!) friendship-blades run across the paint!

The motorist will know immediately they are too close, and give you a friendly wave. Whew! Accident avoided.
:)

Drmojo
09-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Looked into it--imaginary product
Love the idea tho!:banana:

p nut
09-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Any time I hear about a 3 foot law I want to take the law makers who begrudgingly voted in favor, and those who voted against it, and have them stand on the shoulder of the road.......or better yet have them stand with their 5 year old on the shoulder, and then I'll drive by at 70 mph and miss them by 3 feet. Laws would change in a hurry if this happened.

The idea that someone is allowed legally to come as close as 3 feet to me as they pass by with a speed difference of 50 mph is really a joke. That is the length of my arm.

Some might say better than nothing and I suppose it might be but it also gives cover to those who buzz us on the road and miss us by 3 feet to say the law is on their side.

dave

I'm guessing the reason for the 3' is because anything more than that, you're now risking the driver veering into oncoming traffic. But I do agree 100% with you that getting passed by any car at 3' is still unnerving.

Bruce K
09-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Murph

Maybe you can but I have yet to perfect a track stand. :crap:

I'm not sure a Massachusetts (rolling) stop would have covered it. :rolleyes:

BK

RonW87
09-18-2014, 02:24 PM
I think adoption of the 3-foot law is a positive development (still waiting here in Ontario). But I have a question. Generally, if a line up of cars is stopped at a red light, cyclists will ride up the right side of the stopped cars, using the same lane that the cars are in, to a spot next to the front car. When the light turns green and the cars pass the cyclist at the same distance the cyclist just passed those cars, that would now be an infraction, correct? (Even though it wasn't an infraction for the cyclist?)

rilz
09-18-2014, 03:14 PM
I think adoption of the 3-foot law is a positive development (still waiting here in Ontario). But I have a question. Generally, if a line up of cars is stopped at a red light, cyclists will ride up the right side of the stopped cars, using the same lane that the cars are in, to a spot next to the front car. When the light turns green and the cars pass the cyclist at the same distance the cyclist just passed those cars, that would now be an infraction, correct? (Even though it wasn't an infraction for the cyclist?)

In california it is actually illegal to pass on the right like that as a cyclist. I was hit a few years ago while doing this and found partially at fault because of it.

rilz
09-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Also, this just happened in a stretch I ride frequently:

http://fox40.com/2014/09/18/portion-of-freeport-boulevard-closed-after-cyclist-is-struck-killed/

Cornfed
09-20-2014, 12:13 AM
This video is pretty funny ...

http://www.octa.net/Share-the-Ride/Bike/3-Feet-For-Safety-Act/

And nice to see the promotional materials, as well. Looks like they're getting out in front on this.

oldpotatoe
09-20-2014, 07:01 AM
The 3 ft. Law in CO seems to be working, in place for over a year. The guys I work with pay attention in our fleet trucks, usually giving 4-5 feet, and most other motorists seem to be doing the same. Promotion and enforcement are key, as with most legislation.

Edit: Just read BBD's post above. Yes, call me naive, a label that connotes youthfulness. ;) I was a Boston and NYC messenger before that was a cool thing to do, and have more stories of bike/car conflict than would be included in a poorly written novel. The new legislation being written may not have a lot of teeth, but it's a start. Baby steps and all the rest. :beer:

I agree, better than not having it..but geeezzz, I got dusted off by a RTD bus the other day..I was in the bike lane, he was too..on 30th.

witcombusa
09-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Unenforceable laws are meaningless. This one is right up there with cellphone/text management.

So you call in the infraction after you're hit? :confused:

Jeff N.
09-20-2014, 12:29 PM

All spoken like true non-cyclists. The thing is, most cyclists are drivers too! And when I drive, I give cyclists all the room I can (of course). Jeff N.

cnighbor1
09-20-2014, 12:54 PM
New California "3-Foot" Law
Like many laws doesn't mean much till it goes to court or police issue a ticket based on the law.
Has an architect I can judge distances very accurate. I been trying to see if I am good at 3 foot passing and find h'mm I know what 3' is but when passing cyclists I start to think is this really 3' so add a 1' or two. I don't rate my passing skills for cyclists very high. And I am trying to be correct
So what are other Serotta's cyclists doing when driving passing cyclists, Great, Good, OK or Poor

Charles

2wheelwill
09-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Agree the 3 ft law won't change things overnight but one positive development is that police going through the training academy will now be educated on bike safety. Some cops are as ignorant towards cyclist as motorists. The 3ft law may now also be incorporated into the state driver's license exam - reaching those new drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornfed
09-20-2014, 01:34 PM
Regarding enforcement, agencies in my area have stated that they will first target areas where incidents have occurred in the past -- similar to speed traps.

There's a narrow road in my area where a number of accidents and one fatality have occurred. I'll be looking for officers there. And if I don't see any, I'll request them. Our PD is good about responding to citizen's requests.

Tony T
09-20-2014, 01:45 PM
The best story I have is when I was forced to the side and to a stop by a bus that had a 3-foot PSA on the back of the bus!

Dead Man
09-20-2014, 02:26 PM
If you have a citizen traffic citation law or program in place, this 3-foot rule could be super enforceable. In Oregon, you can file citizen traffic citations, like citizen arrests... you certify that you saw an infraction, can identify the driver, and then it's up to the judge to decide who he believes. Most judges side with most citation issuers, because it's generally assumed people don't waste hours of their life to cause other people to get traffic tickets unless it really happened. Preponderance of evidence, and all that.

Dead Man
09-20-2014, 02:29 PM
I got brushed by a dude's mirror whilst I was raging along at max effort going about 35 on a 45 yesterday. I guess he decided passing me in the lane against oncoming traffic was cool, and that my life wasn't worth slowing to 35 for 3-5 seconds. ····ing prick.

I would have citizen's-citationed his ass in a heartbeat, but I was way too busy trying not to crash to get his license plate or get a good look at the driver.

Sometimes I wish I had an industrial strength cabled suction-cup shooter on my handlebars... Not getting away this time, jackass!

Cornfed
09-29-2014, 03:58 PM
The California Traffic Devices Control Committee recently approved a new sign that will soon go up along roadways.

Additional promotional materials available from the California Bicycle Coalition: https://calbike.org/3footeducation/

Progress.