PDA

View Full Version : Who actually races their Serotta?

Rover-Rich
03-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Just wondering how many of our esteemed forumites actually race their Serottas?

Reason I ask is based on my experience on test riding a Nove. I found that there was a higher likelihood of me causing the pedal strike while pedalling through corners-- I did it several times while goofing around on the bike. I do realize that a number of folks ride other bikes for crits etcs. Are most folks racing Serottas in road venues primarily? Inquiring minds want to know. :beer:

William
03-09-2006, 08:56 AM
When I was racing heavily before my children were born I was racing road and crits on the Skunkbirds twin. I found crits much more to my liking and never had a problem sticking a pedal, even running 180's. I was a little leery at first, but once you break it in it's just another tool like anything else.

William

Rover-Rich
03-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Wait a sec here, this is a Serotta forum with awesome studly riders and only one member has raced their Serotta? I know that fixed uses his C-dale as a crit bike, but what do you others use? Is it that Ben's frames are too pricey and dear to folks hearts that they do not want to take a chance destroying them in a crash? I'm curious...

KevinK
03-09-2006, 02:04 PM
My Serotta Classique Ti is my race bike for everything but TTs.

Kevin

Keith A
03-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Wait a sec here, this is a Serotta forum with awesome studly riders and only one member has raced their Serotta? The problem is cost of replacement. For me I would much rather crash out my easily replaced OCLV than my CSi or Legend. I ride my Serotta's most of the time and enjoy them immensely, but racing and crashing go hand and hand, so I would rather race something that is disposable.

William
03-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Wait a sec here, this is a Serotta forum with awesome studly riders and only one member has raced their Serotta? I know that fixed uses his C-dale as a crit bike, but what do you others use? Is it that Ben's frames are too pricey and dear to folks hearts that they do not want to take a chance destroying them in a crash? I'm curious...

I know I posted this once before in the "Big Frame thread"

William

e-RICHIE
03-09-2006, 03:21 PM

William

where are the other racers atmo?

Fixed
03-09-2006, 03:34 PM
bro I had legend ti a bike shop loaned me one year it was great for crits i.m.h.o. cheers

William
03-09-2006, 03:35 PM

There are three guys in front of me just out of the picture, and the blur just coming around the far corner is the first guy in the chase group. The picture was taken by one of my former team mates now living in England.

William

93legendti
03-09-2006, 03:49 PM
How many people here actually own Serottas? Of those, how many race?

e-RICHIE
03-09-2006, 03:56 PM
There are three guys in front of me just out of the picture, and the blur just coming around the far corner is the first guy in the chase group. The picture was taken by one of my former team mates now living in England.

William

so - is that what they calling "bridging"?
i never saw it so clearly as this. cool iirc.

manet
03-09-2006, 03:59 PM

... or shot out the back

manet
03-09-2006, 04:01 PM

itsflantastic
03-09-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm racing a Serotta Atlanta this year. It's my crit/circuit bike. It's about a pound heavier than everyone elses bike but I don't really mind. It rides terrific. I may switch over to a stiffer lighter race bike as I get more into it, but for now, this does the trick!

William
03-09-2006, 04:17 PM

Really very simple. Myself and three other guys are off the front. I had already taken my pull and cycled to the back of our group. It's a tight cornered course and not hard to open gaps when you get off the front.

I only have two shots from this race. The one you see, and one of the whole peloton at the start.

Bust my chops all you like. :)

William

mike p
03-09-2006, 04:18 PM
I have a JB painted CRL with 10 speed ultegra that I raced about half my races on last year. Raced the other half on a C-Dale Cadd-7. The serotta is a great race bike. I don't race thinking about crashing. I know it happens but I'm not going to stop riding a more expensive bike because I may be involved in a crash. Would E-Richey want you to only ride his bikes on easy sunday rides?

Mike

bcm119
03-09-2006, 04:25 PM
I race my cIII and I am more afraid of breaking my bones than my bike. If I had something like a CAAD8, I would probably use that to race, but I only have one road bike. I've decided that I don't think its "cheaper" to spend another $2k on a race-only bike. I would rather spend that money repairing my CIII... or more likely, not spend it at all. Steel frames are pretty tough.

ada@prorider.or
03-09-2006, 04:52 PM

William

why is he last in the bunch??????????????????????

Too Tall
03-09-2006, 04:56 PM
I race a Ti Legend. Super stable and best for RRs. What is the BB drop on that bike? I'm sure the reason you are hitting pedals has less to do with bike design than how you are riding. Not a jab at your style my man just saying you can ride crit corners and not stick pedals.

e-RICHIE
03-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Really very simple. Myself and three other guys are off the front. I had already taken my pull and cycled to the back of our group. It's a tight cornered course and not hard to open gaps when you get off the front.

I only have two shots from this race. The one you see, and one of the whole peloton at the start.

Bust my chops all you like. :)

William

what race was this?
mebbe i was there.

William
03-09-2006, 05:53 PM
what race was this?
mebbe i was there.

Portland Mayors Cup. 94 or 95. Doubt you were there. Won it the year before.

William

e-RICHIE
03-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Portland Mayors Cup. 94 or 95. Doubt you were there. Won it the year before.

William

portland where?
what cat?

Argos
03-09-2006, 06:52 PM
If I ever get my arse back in shape, I plan on using my Serotta. Maybe not for a Crit, as I'm known for hitting things, but for a circuit.... That's what it's for! I can't wait.

Fixed
03-09-2006, 06:58 PM
bro argos come on down for our circuit sat.8 mile loop on a 5'bike trail I can't wait to get on that with a 100 bros all trying to be in the same spot at the same time . bro you have a great serotta just beautiful .i.m.h.o. cheers
bro t.b. did it again amazing i.m.h.o.

theprep
03-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I will be racing my CIII (or maybe my Strong) Sunday at Central Park. Still haven't decided. Got only 2 team mates committed to going with me. Still workin on some others though.

Cheers,
Joe

Dr. Doofus
03-09-2006, 07:37 PM
greenville this weekend, argos

greenville

doof races his serotta fork

its pretty good

Sandy
03-09-2006, 07:49 PM

He probably beat them up before the race. :)

gasman
03-09-2006, 08:27 PM
portland where?

Portland, Oregon-it's raining !!

I will never bust Williams chops-he is too big for me and I'm too slow. ;)

BTW- I have raced my Calfee Tetra Pro 4 of the 5 races I have done. I am afraid of crashing and more afraid of broken bones.Yes, I'm a weenie and will not sprint for 10th place.

e-RICHIE
03-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Portland, Oregon-it's raining !!

I will never bust Williams chops...

dude-issimo
we have a portland 10 miles up the road,
one in maine, and one in oregon. since he
lives in little rhodey i thought it was a fair
question biwfd yo.

Fixed
03-09-2006, 08:37 PM
bro there points down to 15th place here cheers :beer:

Bill Bove
03-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Heck, I still race (well actually chase) on my 12 year old Serotta Al frame. I still haven't found anything I like better at two or three times the price. I'm getting a BH Global Concept to demo tomorrow, we'll see...

TriJim
03-09-2006, 08:55 PM
IM Arizona and a couple local tris last summer. I'll be moving to Stuttgart in a couple weeks so had to cancel Columbia and EagleMan for this summer.

scienceguy08
03-09-2006, 09:15 PM
I always beat that three-year-old on his trike. Most of the time, at least :beer:

gasman
03-09-2006, 11:57 PM
dude-issimo
question biwfd yo.

Legit question yes.I lived in New Haven for 4 years.
I just knew he had lived in Oregon and knew he raced in Portland
so I spoke for him. Not that I needed to do so; I'm just happy to live here.

vaxn8r
03-10-2006, 01:17 AM
dude-issimo
question biwfd yo.
Don't forget the one in Tennessee...

William
03-10-2006, 04:23 AM
why is he last in the bunch??????????????????????

Oh, I tried out another guys wheels at the start. But MAN the things were like boat anchors, unbelievable drag on those things. They were carbon and REALLY, REALLY expensive. The name escapes me but it started with the letter "A" and ended with an "A". Had to pit and change to another set and then chase my way back on.....then blow the peloton apart with three other guys....

:p ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :D

William

03-10-2006, 04:25 AM
I race my Nove in crits,rr and hilly tri's (IMLP,mooseman,timberman). I have a guru crono for TT's and flatter tri's (IMFla).

As for pedal strikes-I have hit my pedals sure it a regular occurance No. i run 172.5 and da pedals. I wouln't worry about the strikes think about foot position as you come into the corner and as you pedal out of it.

K

William
03-10-2006, 04:27 AM
Legit question yes.I lived in New Haven for 4 years.
I just knew he had lived in Oregon and knew he raced in Portland
so I spoke for him. Not that I needed to do so; I'm just happy to live here.

Don't mind at all. :beer:

He probably beat them up before the race.

And then gave them to Rhea Basset to toy with, slobber on, and generally eat at her leisure. ;)

William (formerly from Portland, Ory-gun)

Climb01742
03-10-2006, 04:35 AM
William (formerly from Portland, Ory-gun)

as a fellow former resident, best suggestion i ever heard for pronouncing oregon correctly is to say it as fast as you can...people tend to mangle it most when they say it slowly. signed, climb (formerly wet.)

William
03-10-2006, 04:38 AM
as a fellow former resident, best suggestion i ever heard for pronouncing oregon correctly is to say it as fast as you can...people tend to mangle it most when they say it slowly. signed, climb (formerly wet.)

Few things wrankle an Oregonian more then hearing someone say, Or-E-gone.......accept maybe Californians. :D

William

Fixed
03-10-2006, 06:34 AM
I race my Nove in crits,rr and hilly tri's (IMLP,mooseman,timberman). I have a guru crono for TT's and flatter tri's (IMFla).

As for pedal strikes-I have hit my pedals sure it a regular occurance No. i run 172.5 and da pedals. I wouln't worry about the strikes think about foot position as you come into the corner and as you pedal out of it.

K
bro keep one pedal up at the right time bro's go down that way i.m.h.o. cheers

03-10-2006, 09:04 AM
bro keep one pedal up at the right time bro's go down that way i.m.h.o. cheers

i don't follow I don't have a ton of racing experience but I can't see how that hooking pedals is a concern, bars-hands-leaning on each other maybe knees banging but pedals?

enlighten me.
K

Fixed
03-10-2006, 09:19 AM
bro some of the other bro 's who write better might be able to help but i have seen bro's go down when the rear end of the bike goes up in the air in a cornnor after hitting a pedal . bro not that i know anything .cheers :beer:

03-10-2006, 10:06 AM
I figured it was much like when racing Motorcycles and you drag some hard part no a peg but something that is not hinged. it sort of upsets the lean angle but totally recoverable.

I understand what you are saying I thought that the pedal strike was going to take someone else out.

thanks
for the tip
you know what they say Ti-carbon-steel-alum side up ----rubber side down.

Fixed
03-10-2006, 10:14 AM
bro here is a dream race bike i.m.h.o. cheers

gasman
03-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Few things wrankle an Oregonian more then hearing someone say, Or-E-gone.......accept maybe Californians. :D

William

Exactly !

Since I lived in Cal from '60 till '72 I had to apply for special permission to marry a Native Oregonian. :D

Talk about thread hijack !!!

beungood
03-11-2006, 03:21 PM
<<Oh, I tried out another guys wheels at the start. But MAN the things were like boat anchors, unbelievable drag on those things. They were carbon and REALLY, REALLY expensive. The name escapes me but it started with the letter "A" and ended with an "A". >>>

Ouch.

Fixed
03-11-2006, 04:43 PM
bro I raced my purple lugged steel bike with the steel fork and d.t. shifters today and got 8 th place but here is the cool part guys would come up to me that I didn't even know and say hey bro i know that purple bike . i.m.h.o there is something good about being different... I find it funny bros know my bike but don't know me .cheers :beer: