PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Look 695 2014 versus 2013?

victorhooi
09-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Hi,

Previously, I was riding a Specialized Tarmac S-Works, with SRAM Red (10-speed) and Reynolds wheels. This was recently stolen =(, and I'm looking at replacing it.

I've been looking at some of the Look frames, and I was thinking of going down that route. The Look 795 is too new, and probably out of my price-range. However, the Look 695 seems within reach.

In 2014, Look released a Aerolight version of the 695 that has integrated front brakes in the fork, and integrated rear brakes near the bottom bracket, allegedly for the aero advantages:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/06/news/look-launches-695-aerolight-with-integrated-brake-system_292225

They also changed the weave of the carbon from 3K to 1.5 K (not quite sure of the impact of that). Apart from that, I can't seem to spot too many differences between that one, and the earlier Look 695 frames.

Currently, I am tossing up between buying a new Look 695 2014 Aerolight frameset that happens to be on special (works out to be around $4500 for just the frameset) - I will then be building that bike up.

Alternately, I've seen Look 2013/2012 framesets for around the $3000 - $3500 mark, or complete bikes (with somewhat low-end wheels/groupset) for around $4500. The disadvantage then is that I don't get a shiny new "2014" frameset (don't really care that much), but I don't get the integrated aero brakes (possibly care more about) or the 1.5K carbon (possibly also care about).

What are people's thoughts on this? Does anybody else have any hands-on experience they could lend on the Look 695's over the years?

Regards,
Victor

NB: I originally posted this on a different website, however, I'm now posting it here, since there seem to be quite a few Look owners here. Mods - please let me know if that's not allowed.