PDA

View Full Version : Birzman floor pump

DerekB
09-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Just picked up a Birzman floor pump at my lbs. The chuck is fantastic. Sort of like an air hose coupling, plus a little twist at the end to really make a solid connection.
I got the Zacoo Maha IV (what a name), the only model the shop had in stock. It is a bit lightweight with a plastic base, but the plastic seems very solid.
I plan to try to get the chuck for my other pumps as it becomes available.

charliedid
09-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Yep

I have been using one for the past year. Works a treat...

mvrider
09-16-2014, 08:37 PM
I like mine too. I previously had some trouble with tearing tubes at the base of the valve, and the release motion of the Birzman feels like it would put little stress on this joint. I got one with an aluminum base, but it's still very light.

Some have reported issues with removable cores, which I don't use, so I can't comment.

The canted-back angle is a bit of a gimmick.

There are only two niggles that I've noticed:
1. The pressure gauge goes to 220 psi, so at normal road pressures, you lose some resolution.
2. The shaft is a little short, making the handle a little close to the outer cylinder in the down position. I pinched my thumb the first time using it.

Note that the head has been redesigned for 2015:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/09/02/eb14-birzman-reinvents-the-pump-head-again-with-the-new-snap-it-apogee/

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Birzman-Snap-It-apogee-new-pumps-tools-7-600x400.jpg

jlwdm
09-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Didn't anyone tell you that a good floor pump costs $450 these days.

Jeff

dekindy
09-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Looks good but cannot determine the differences between the models.

mvrider
09-16-2014, 11:50 PM
The names are weird, which don't help, but here's my categorization:

Tiny Tanker - compact travel pump, like the Lezyne Travel Drives
MTB - that's obvious
Maha II, III, IV - distinguished by handle and base materials

cd_davis
09-17-2014, 06:52 AM
How do these pumps compare to the Classic Silca? I've owned one for 24 years and have only replaced the leather piece once, maybe twice. Gauge reads accurately.