PDA

View Full Version : Bicycles are like Racquetball Raquets

Sandy
03-09-2006, 08:34 AM
When I started to play racquetball many moons ago (no longer play), I used the racquet of the day, a wooden one. Not too long after that, came the plastic racquet. I had a few of them, all costing about $10 or so . One of them was an orange colored plastic racquet called the Bandido. A superb player, who was both Marlyand state singles and doubles champion, played with the identical racquet. When other racquets evolved, I still saw him playing with that $10 Bandido. I doubt that he uses the racquet today.

Racquetball raquets have evolved. Today one can buy aluminum, carbon, graphite, tungsten, and titanium racquets. You can find racquets priced from $10 up to $200-$300. Racquets vary in weight, shape and design of frames, grips, string beds, stiffness,...New technologies abound.

So I think back to the former Maryland state champion with his cheap Bandido racquet. Could he still be state champion? Does the racquet make much of a difference, or is it just his athletic and mental abilities, training, nutrition,...,? Do the newer more expensive racquets give him more pleasure in playing the game? What shape, design, materials, strings,.., should he pick? For what price? He, as each player, must make those decisions. Just as each cyclist must.

Ektelon Sandy

e-RICHIE
03-09-2006, 09:09 AM
<snipped>Racquetball raquets have evolved.<cut>

do you still play with the same balls atmo?

ergott
03-09-2006, 09:17 AM
When I started to play racquetball many moons ago (no longer play), I used the racquet of the day, a wooden one. Not too long after that, came the plastic racquet. I had a few of them, all costing about $10 or so . One of them was an orange colored plastic racquet called the Bandido. A superb player, who was both Marlyand state singles and doubles champion, played with the identical racquet. When other racquets evolved, I still saw him playing with that $10 Bandido. I doubt that he uses the racquet today.

Racquetball raquets have evolved. Today one can buy aluminum, carbon, graphite, tungsten, and titanium racquets. You can find racquets priced from $10 up to $200-$300. Racquets vary in weight, shape and design of frames, grips, string beds, stiffness,...New technologies abound.

So I think back to the former Maryland state champion with his cheap Bandido racquet. Could he still be state champion? Does the racquet make much of a difference, or is it just his athletic and mental abilities, training, nutrition,...,? Do the newer more expensive racquets give him more pleasure in playing the game? What shape, design, materials, strings,.., should he pick? For what price? He, as each player, must make those decisions. Just as each cyclist must.

Ektelon Sandy

Like most sports, if the player is truely gifted, they will win. However, most gifted athletes do appreciate any advances that make their game a little better.

Blastinbob
03-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Ah the Leach Bandido, now you are bringing back some fond memories. I still play on occasion. While the modern equipment is more "user friendly" (bigger sweet spot & stiffer) I think a great player would win no matter what equipment they used.

Rollout Bob

Sandy
03-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Over 50% of my points were rollouts. Is that good??

Rollout Sandy

PS- I din't score many points.

Sandy
03-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Like most sports, if the player is truely gifted, they will win. However, most gifted athletes do appreciate any advances that make their game a little better.

I agree totally.

Sandy

Sandy
03-09-2006, 10:01 AM

Actually, no. I lost one and now I am very careful. I don't want to lose the other one. :)

Single Sandy

PS- You are bad!! :) :)

roman meal
03-09-2006, 10:22 AM

Today you can not only get blue balls, but nice turquoise ones as well:

catulle
03-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Everything was pretty orderly and quiet in the hood, and then the hand-built show came to an end.

e-RICHIE
03-09-2006, 11:33 AM
don't hijack sandy-issimo's thread atmo -

it's not about the balls,
it's about the racket.

CNY rider
03-09-2006, 11:40 AM
And when did you acquire your taste for tuna sandwiches?
((Still one of my favorite threads of all time ;) )

Sandy
03-09-2006, 02:29 PM
don't hijack sandy-issimo's thread atmo -

it's not about the balls,
it's about the racket.

The racquet propels the ball.

The cyclist propels the bicycle.

Some racquets and some cyclists are good. Some are not.
Same for balls and bicycles.

Sandy

e-RICHIE
03-09-2006, 02:33 PM
The racquet propels the ball.
The cyclist propels the bicycle.

Some racquets and some cyclists are good. Some are not.
Same for balls and bicycles.

that's a freeekin' koan if i ever read one.
nine more and we'll have a minion atmo.

Sandy
03-09-2006, 02:40 PM
that's a freeekin' koan if i ever read one.
nine more and we'll have a minion atmo.

If we have a minion, we can pray for both of us.

Rabbi Sandy

catulle
03-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Koan...

catulle
03-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Minion...

e-RICHIE
03-09-2006, 03:26 PM
If we have a minion, we can pray for both of us.
Rabbi Sandy

how very roy e. munson imho

e-RICHIE
03-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Koan...
Minion...

isthmus be our lucky day iirc

PeterW
03-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Racquetball?!

Squash!

Sandy
03-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Racquetball?!

Squash!

Are you trying to squash racquetball?? :rolleyes: :)

Squash Sandy

e-RICHIE
03-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Are you trying to squash racquetball?? :rolleyes: :)
Squash Sandy

save that street talk for the craig's list personals atmo

rnhood
03-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Racquetball is a great sport. Its too bad that its not more popular. I started playing in 1973 and, like Sandy have watched it evolve - from the outside courts to the inside courts - from short wooden racquets to the high-zoot extended length twice strung, etc., variety of today.

I liked Tennis as well but, I never felt as comfortable with it. Chasing the balls and all. With racquetball, the ball can't go anywhere. So, its more of a lazy man's fast paced sport. I guess thats why I like it.

e-RICHIE
03-09-2006, 08:50 PM
snipped: Chasing the balls and all. With racquetball, the ball can't go anywhere<cut>

save that street talk for the craig's list personals atmo