PDA

View Full Version : Racing Limiters

kgrooney
03-09-2006, 07:05 AM
I have a question for you all;

When first entering this sport, what, if any, limiatations did you experience from either initially racing or continuing to do so? For instance, when I first started, I didn't have the resources I have now and the cost of travel, entry fees and equipment was prohibitive. Now that I have the resources, time is limited.

Thanks

stevep
03-09-2006, 07:18 AM
ah, the irony of life.
when you had the legs you did not have the money...
now that you have the money you do not have the legs

Fixed
03-09-2006, 07:29 AM
bro and some of us have trouble with both i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:
bro I only do races that are near. I've been trianing for my club race this weekend and now they want to work it and I might not be able to race all the events I had hoped to . that's the way it goes bro

Dr. Doofus
03-09-2006, 07:40 AM
in 1982 as a junior:

money
equipment (a trek touring bike!)
transportation -- parents didn't dig going to races
knowledge: no one in Normal, IL had any clue. everybody rode tons in the little ring and then did sprints.

in college (1984-88):

money
genetics: I was a distance swimmer, and not a particularly good one by college standards. no sprint. you can't win if you don't sprint, and you also can't win if you can't sprint, unless you're ultra smart or ultra strong. doof, I, was and am niether.

after college, grad school (1989-1992; 1996-1998):

bike bum heaven.
injuries (youthful enthusiasm and lack of training knowledge)

old guy (2005-):

money
being old

time and money are the limiters for everybody, unless you're lucky or so good that you're being taken care of.

BD will get a laugh out of this, but doof thinks the power meter is a great solution for limited time. doof is almost as strong as he was when he held a much better cat license, because the powermeter has shown him what he can handle -- like training twice a day, like seeing when he's recovered from the day before and can go hard again even though he feels tired...that kind of stuff matters when you have limited time....

anyway

Too Tall
03-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Guidance how to train for racing. Get a coach!

lnomalley
03-09-2006, 09:25 AM
get some buddies together.. from all categories, get a charity sponsor as a tax write off and offer to put on an event and give all your winnings to the charity.. get together some local business and write a sponsorship package that offers them a tax shelter anda tie in with the charity and a good demographic. find equipment manufactureres for the same.
put together about 40k in t he budget... reimburse yourselves and hire a real designer to make amazing looking kit. buy kit at a discount because of the charity thing. work less, race more.
problem solved.