PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Bracket Spacer: What else works?

Lewis Moon
09-16-2014, 08:13 AM
I picked up a nice MTB crankset to use on the Kelly Knobby X but it appears that I'll need a spacer (2.5mm?) on the drive side of the Gigapipe BB for proper chain line. The BB has English threads. I have heard that this is the same diameter for some other application that needs a spacer or two, possibly from a freewheel or freehub(?). I tried one of the spacers from my Campy freehub but the ID is too large. Are there any readily available spacers out there that I could source from my LBS? I ordered a spacer last week but the seller has seen fit to sit on it for five days:mad:. The bike is sitting in the garage 9/10ths built and I want to ride it.

Also, the gigapipe needs crank bolts. Are they the same as the Octalink?

buldogge
09-16-2014, 08:42 AM
Your LBS doesn't have BB spacers???

Same spacers as Shimano free hub spacers…the kind that go behind the cassette to use different # of gears…not sure there is a 2.5mm though…1mm, 1.85mm, 3.0mm for sure.

The shop doesn't have any GXP spacers?…those would be perfect…2.5mm.

-Mark in St. Louis

I picked up a nice MTB crankset to use on the Kelly Knobby X but it appears that I'll need a spacer (2.5mm?) on the drive side of the Gigapipe BB for proper chain line. The BB has English threads. I have heard that this is the same diameter for some other application that needs a spacer or two, possibly from a freewheel or freehub(?). I tried one of the spacers from my Campy freehub but the ID is too large. Are there any readily available spacers out there that I could source from my LBS? I ordered a spacer last week but the seller has seen fit to sit on it for five days:mad:. The bike is sitting in the garage 9/10ths built and I want to ride it.

Also, the gigapipe needs crank bolts. Are they the same as the Octalink?

Lewis Moon
09-16-2014, 08:52 AM
Your LBS doesn't have BB spacers???

Same spacers as Shimano free hub spacers…the kind that go behind the cassette to use different # of gears…not sure there is a 2.5mm though…1mm, 1.85mm, 3.0mm for sure.

The shop doesn't have any GXP spacers?…those would be perfect…2.5mm.

-Mark in St. Louis

To be absolutely honest I haven't tried. Ever since I asked for Campy specific cables and they argued, telling me Shimano "should" work, I've steered clear of letting them do/sell anything technical. I'll give them a try.

David Kirk
09-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Most every SRAM BB comes the black alloy spacers and it would seem most shops would have a coffee can full of them. I have a bunch in my 'junk' drawer.........if you can't find one locally let me know and I'll throw one in an envelope to you.

dave

ultraman6970
09-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Ultra never seen a single lbs that doesnt have those spacers moving around for free.

btw, jagwire shimano cables work fine with campagnolo 10 and 11... just dremel the heads to fit, 30 to 45 seconds operation. Never managed to snap a cable in the heads like happens with shimano cables with some levers.

Lewis Moon
09-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Well, three bike shops down and nothing. Two of the shops sponsor road and mountain teams too. At one of the shops (the Big L) I had to argue with the shop guy just to have him entertain the idea that I might know what I was talking about. For the life of me, I don't know why I go back to that place. I must have said "GXP" and "English bottom bracket" seven or eight times before he even thought about anything other than BB30.

Two more on my way home. I'm not hopeful.

...and people wonder why the LBS is going the way of the dinosaur.

Peter, can you come out of retirement? Phoenix is sunny....

PS: do Shim/SRAM freehub spacers come in the Aluminum flavor? The Big L guy said no. I distrust his general knowledge.

Idris Icabod
09-16-2014, 02:08 PM
It is surprising no one has them. Every BB I have bought includes 3 x 2.5 mm spacers depending on a 68 mm versus 73 mm bottom bracket width. Seems like every bike I have has a 73 mm BB so I must have a dozen here, surely a bike shop keeps a few left over from installs.

Lewis Moon
09-16-2014, 02:10 PM
It is surprising no one has them. Every BB I have bought includes 3 x 2.5 mm spacers depending on a 68 mm versus 73 mm bottom bracket width. Seems like every bike I have has a 73 mm BB so I must have a dozen here, surely a bike shop keeps a few left over from installs.

You know, they probably do....I think no one wants to even look.

Idris Icabod
09-16-2014, 02:14 PM
I'm in Tucson and some shops are like that but I'd bet most would have them and give you one for free. I guess I won't go bike shopping in Phx. How far are you from Airpark bikes? I bought a frame on a buddy deal from Steve and he took me into the loft to have a browse at his inventory, hold smokes! I'm guessing that guy has everything, in multiples.

shovelhd
09-16-2014, 02:22 PM
They are specific to GXP. BB's when used with MTB cranks. I should have some if needed.

Lewis Moon
09-16-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm in Tucson and some shops are like that but I'd bet most would have them and give you one for free. I guess I won't go bike shopping in Phx. How far are you from Airpark bikes? I bought a frame on a buddy deal from Steve and he took me into the loft to have a browse at his inventory, hold smokes! I'm guessing that guy has everything, in multiples.

Heh....Airpark is only about 20 miles closer than a few shops in Tucson. :cool:

ultraman6970
09-16-2014, 03:31 PM
That's weird, I bet they trash them or something. Hope somebody can give you one.

I'm not sure if a cassette spacer will be wide enough to fit, you have to measure it, if the ID fits the cup you can use it i guess.

Well, three bike shops down and nothing. Two of the shops sponsor road and mountain teams too. At one of the shops (the Big L) I had to argue with the shop guy just to have him entertain the idea that I might know what I was talking about. For the life of me, I don't know why I go back to that place. I must have said "GXP" and "English bottom bracket" seven or eight times before he even thought about anything other than BB30.

PS: do Shim/SRAM freehub spacers come in the Aluminum flavor? The Big L guy said no. I distrust his general knowledge.

oldpotatoe
09-16-2014, 03:58 PM

No, sorry. All shimano MTB BBs come with aluminum spacers, some of which you don't use unless you have a 73 shell and e clamp fder, then you don't use any.

Shimano cogset spacers are aluminum.

Lewis Moon
09-16-2014, 06:52 PM
I finally found one at the shop I raced for in the '80s. Domanic's seems to have fallen on hard times but they seem to still be head and shoulders above the rest on service. I made sxure to buy some other gear to make it worth their while.
Thanks all who offered to send one. You guys rock.

cp43
09-17-2014, 09:21 AM
Glad to hear you got this resolved.

FWIW, you can get these spacers from Compass Cycles. I stumbled across them while browsing their site, I have no affiliation with them.

http://www.compasscycle.com/bb_spacer.html

Chris

12snap
09-17-2014, 11:09 AM
Here's another source for the spacers for future reference. Scroll down towards the bottom.

http://enduroforkseals.com/id411.html