PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to SRAM CX1

Lovetoclimb
09-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Thinking a 10s set-up using Wolftooth chainring, Shimano SLX derailleur, and a wide range cassette would allow me to still use Campy ergos, Paul Canti brakes, and have many if not all of the CX1 (less the hydro brakes which I don't want) benefits. Anyone used something similar? CX1 has some absurd prices on it being new and all.

eBAUMANN
09-15-2014, 10:06 PM
If you don't mind SRAM...10spd "cx1" has been around as long as the type II clutch RD. I used red shifters with an x9 rd all last year, wolftooth ring, works great!

spartanKid
09-15-2014, 10:44 PM
Thinking a 10s set-up using Wolftooth chainring, Shimano SLX derailleur, and a wide range cassette would allow me to still use Campy ergos, Paul Canti brakes, and have many if not all of the CX1 (less the hydro brakes which I don't want) benefits. Anyone used something similar? CX1 has some absurd prices on it being new and all.

Not to ask a dumb question, but will the Campy Ergos pull the correct amounts of cable to use that SLX 10spd RD?

Shimano 9 spd MTB RD and 10 spd road levers are compatible, and Campy 11spd levers and Shimano 10 spd RD work together...but I have no idea about shimano 10 spd MTB and Campy. Is there a problem solvers pulley you can use?

Lovetoclimb
09-15-2014, 10:57 PM
Not to ask a dumb question, but will the Campy Ergos pull the correct amounts of cable to use that SLX 10spd RD?

Shimano 9 spd MTB RD and 10 spd road levers are compatible, and Campy 11spd levers and Shimano 10 spd RD work together...but I have no idea about shimano 10 spd MTB and Campy. Is there a problem solvers pulley you can use?

That is one of my main questions as well. I found this article (http://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-campagnolo-ergopower-compatibility)suggesting some sort of "alternative" cable clamping position to sort it all out . . .

Assuming my current Campy Athena 11 rear shift lever would work with an SLX rear derailleur, I would not have to buy 10s shifters which is even better!

thirdgenbird
09-16-2014, 12:05 AM
That is one of my main questions as well. I found this article (http://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-campagnolo-ergopower-compatibility)suggesting some sort of "alternative" cable clamping position to sort it all out . . .

Assuming my current Campy Athena 11 rear shift lever would work with an SLX rear derailleur, I would not have to buy 10s shifters which is even better!

That article is referring to 10sod road derailleurs. 10spd mtb is a different beast. What you are suggesting won't work unless you use a 9spd mtb RD which won't have a clutch.

I've done a little research, and it looks like a campy 8 ergo, a 10spd Shimano mtb rd, and a shortened 10spd Shimano cassette might be close enough. No promises. The campy 8 shifter will pull .1mm more cable per shift than a dynasis shifter so the error range is about the same as the proven 11spd ergo on shim 9.

spartanKid
09-16-2014, 12:17 AM
That article is referring to 10sod road derailleurs. 10spd mtb is a different beast. What you are suggesting won't work unless you use a 9spd mtb RD which won't have a clutch.

I've done a little research, and it looks like a campy 8 ergo, a 10spd Shimano mtb rd, and a shortened 10spd Shimano cassette might be close enough. No promises. The campy 8 shifter will pull .1mm more cable per shift than a dynasis shifter so the error range is about the same as the proven 11spd ergo on shim 9.

The article mentions pairing a 9 spd shimano MTB RD with an 11 spd Campy lever and a 10 spd cassette, as it sounds like OP has campy 11 levers

thirdgenbird
09-16-2014, 12:25 AM
The article mentions pairing a 9 spd shimano MTB RD with an 11 spd Campy lever and a 10 spd cassette, as it sounds like OP has campy 11 levers

Yes, as long as it is 9 speed mtb.. That is what I said... I thought he was talking 10spd due to the cx1 comparison (no clutch on 9spd) if that is true, then it will not work. The RD ratio of shimsno dynasis/mtb 10 is completely different than road or 9spd mtb.

Lovetoclimb
09-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks thirdgenbird for the insight. It sounds like I am SOL to have a true CX-1 budget version unless I want to use SRAM shifters and derailleurs which I do not.

Perhaps a 1x11 with the Shimano Road RD and cassette and the Wolftooth chainring will work, but I would face gearing limitations and likely some chain slack issues without the clutch RD I am guessing.

spartanKid
09-16-2014, 01:50 PM
You can take apart the shimano road RD and put the spring in a higher tension position. This is a common modification done by many who run shimano 1xN

Lovetoclimb
09-16-2014, 01:50 PM
On the above note, what chainkeeper would people recommend? I have heard the Paul is not great at it's one job but I certainly like the idea of one that rests over top of the chain as it does.

eBAUMANN
09-16-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks thirdgenbird for the insight. It sounds like I am SOL to have a true CX-1 budget version unless I want to use SRAM shifters and derailleurs which I do not.

Perhaps a 1x11 with the Shimano Road RD and cassette and the Wolftooth chainring will work, but I would face gearing limitations and likely some chain slack issues without the clutch RD I am guessing.

my girlfriends rides/races a clutch/catcher-less 1x10 setup with a wolf tooth and 6700 stuff...seems to work ok for her (no dropped chains in 30+ races) but she isn't a super aggressive rider.

i rode a 1x11 with a force rd and wolf tooth for a few weeks through some pretty rough trails and never dropped a chain either.

a clutch is the IDEAL setup, but not completely necessary. i like to think of it as a small insurance policy for when it counts (racing).

eBAUMANN
09-16-2014, 01:53 PM
On the above note, what chainkeeper would people recommend? I have heard the Paul is not great at it's one job but I certainly like the idea of one that rests over top of the chain as it does.

i rode a paul for 2 years without issue, my cousin now has that bike and continues to use that catcher without any issues that I've heard about (and he RIPS down trails).

that said, k edge has a pretty good system and i think some of the DH/MTB catchers that kinda look like fd's would also be solid options.

myette10
09-16-2014, 02:00 PM
an old FD with the limit screws set to the right spot works great and is usually as far away as the parts bin.

No new RD, no new chain ring. No new anything actually...