PDA

View Full Version : Tubular repair on the road-new product name

oldpotatoe
09-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Couple of months ago somebody mentioned a new product that can be used to repair a tubie on the road, a thing you shoved in the hole, sealed. Any remember the name? I preordered, supposed to be here in August(?).

Grazie

FlashUNC
09-15-2014, 03:41 PM
PatchNRide?

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/09/15/ib14-patchnride-gets-official-flat-tires-will-never-be-the-same/

ultraman6970
09-15-2014, 04:25 PM
12 bucks a patch?? It is a little bit steep... but for people that has like 200 bucks tubies moving around this thing is ok. Honestly I would buy this but if each patch was cheaper. No opening the case no more and mess with the stitching or dimounting the tubular from the rim.

I like the idea tho.

rwsaunders
09-15-2014, 07:14 PM
They were trying to crowd source $5K and they raised $58K to date. That might indicate that there is interest in the market.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/patchnride-bicycle-flat-tire-repair

thirdgenbird
09-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Far too expensive to use on a clincher, but I might order one for tubular use.

Option A
Carry spare tire
Rip flatted tire off rim
Mount spare tire on
Inflate
Ride a not fully glued tire
Open tire
Patch tube
Sew tire
Remove spare
Reglue tire to rim

Option B
Carry pathnride
Insert patch
Inflate

Cicli
09-15-2014, 08:15 PM
The issue I have is that it looks like you end up with a much bigger hole in the casing. I mean, most of the flats I have experienced are caused by real fine wires from tubeless tires. These make a very small hole in the casing and once the leak is fixed they are really hard to find. I could not imagine having to make the hole large enough to push a patch through. No thanks.

teleguy57
09-15-2014, 09:49 PM
Far too expensive to use on a clincher, but I might order one for tubular use.

Option A
Carry spare tire
Rip flatted tire off rim
Mount spare tire on
Inflate
Ride a not fully glued tire
Open tire
Patch tube
Sew tire
Remove spare
Reglue tire to rim

Option B
Carry pathnride
Insert patch
Inflate

Option C
carry small bottle of Stan's and valve core removal too
use them
ride home

Option D (tried it,not sure I like it)
Insert Stan's preventatively
Be oblivious to small punctures that self-seal

Oh, and Option E for all not sealed/sealable punctures on good casings -- send to Tire Alert for tube/basetape replacement.

thirdgenbird
09-15-2014, 10:46 PM
Option b looks like it will seal a hole much larger than c and d. Option e? Looks to be $30.

ultraman6970
09-16-2014, 05:56 AM
+1, was asking myself the same question. But w/o testing is hard to say how big is the puncture. Always you can send them an email after they go out public with the product and ask to test pack or something. But from the pictures and videos doesnt look like it is a large hole.

The issue I have is that it looks like you end up with a much bigger hole in the casing. I mean, most of the flats I have experienced are caused by real fine wires from tubeless tires. These make a very small hole in the casing and once the leak is fixed they are really hard to find. I could not imagine having to make the hole large enough to push a patch through. No thanks.

oldpotatoe
09-16-2014, 06:30 AM
PatchNRide?

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/09/15/ib14-patchnride-gets-official-flat-tires-will-never-be-the-same/

That's it, thanks...

oldpotatoe
09-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Couple of months ago somebody mentioned a new product that can be used to repair a tubie on the road, a thing you shoved in the hole, sealed. Any remember the name? I preordered, supposed to be here in August(?).

Grazie

Update...December delivery..I think it's a good idea..so I carry this when I can't have 2 flats(have had 2 flats in one ride 3 times in 29 years of tubular riding) instead of 2 tires..those days when a rescue isn't possible or I'm time limited.

BUT December...

jbrainin
09-16-2014, 08:47 AM
December beats hell out of never.