PDA

View Full Version : brooks like modern saddle?

vqdriver
09-15-2014, 12:06 PM
the brooks swallow seems to agree with me the best and i'd like to find a similar fitting 'modern' saddle. any swallow users find similar fit on a newer saddle?

R2D2
09-15-2014, 12:08 PM
I prefer the Swift.
But the Aliante fits the bill for a modern saddle I think.

AngryScientist
09-15-2014, 12:51 PM
maybe hold out for wide availability of the new c17 cambium. swallow like fit but more modern material?

pjmsj21
09-15-2014, 01:39 PM
the brooks swallow seems to agree with me the best and i'd like to find a similar fitting 'modern' saddle. any swallow users find similar fit on a newer saddle?

I am not sure what you mean by "newer saddle" does this mean something other than leather, does this mean more contemporary appearance?

I ride a Rivet Independence (http://rivetcycleworks.com/) in the ti version and have become a pretty big fan. To me it looks a bit more contemporary than the B-17 and actually fits me better than the B-17.

Like yourself, I was looking something more contemporary and after trying a Specialized saddle went back to the Independence. The Independence along with Rapha bibs is a really good combination for me.

Stephen2014
09-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Them Gilles Berthoud saddles, I don't know if they are good to ride though.

muchness
09-15-2014, 04:12 PM
The Fizik Kurve line is quite Brooks-like in construction, with synthetic fabric/CF weave swapped for the leather, and cast alloy for the frame and rails.

Don't know if that's any kinda answer you're looking for.

vqdriver
09-15-2014, 04:24 PM
by 'modern' i mean not leather on steel. it looks the business and is comfy, but is clearly out of place on a cf bike or any attempt at a lightweight build. so really, i'm looking for a similar shape as a swallow but with (now) typical plastic shell on some alloy rails. doesn't have to be uber anything. so far, the closest i've come is a specialized phenom. it's not crazy awesome, but it's also not crazy expensive or crazy heavy.
just seeing what other swallow users are using.

cat6
09-15-2014, 04:50 PM
just seeing what other swallow users are using.

swallows.

djg21
09-15-2014, 05:18 PM
The Fizik Kurve line is quite Brooks-like in construction, with synthetic fabric/CF weave swapped for the leather, and cast alloy for the frame and rails.

Don't know if that's any kinda answer you're looking for.

Fizik and Brooks are both subsidiaries of Selle Royal and share technology. The Fizik Kurve line make use of Brooks' saddle suspension ("mobius"). I ride the Kurve Chameleon, which is the Arione shape, and really like it. The model apparently is being redesigned to use carbon rails. I prefer alloy.

http://www.wired.com/2011/11/fizik-kurve-saddle-like-a-brooks-from-the-future/

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fizik-releases-new-saddles-and-shoes

vqdriver
09-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Thanks. I'll look into the kurves

R3awak3n
09-15-2014, 07:35 PM
maybe hold out for wide availability of the new c17 cambium. swallow like fit but more modern material?

I was going to say this too. And they are coming out with one in all black as well so pretty modern looking. They need to make one with TI rails to make it under 400gm

vqdriver
09-15-2014, 08:16 PM
just ordered up a kurve chameleon. we'll see how that goes.
thanks all

stackie
09-15-2014, 10:01 PM
I've got a swallow on my Indy fab corvid. I like the look. Might just try it out?

Jon

don compton
09-15-2014, 10:17 PM
I finally sold all my B-17s and Rivet pearls. I couldn't handle the pressure on my crotch. The Cambium is flat along the length of the saddle near the center of the saddle. It feels like a B-17 after it has been broken but not like my B-17s after a long time. After awhile, my B-17s developed a ridge in the center that made riding painful.
I have been using the Romin saddles on my IF bikes, but I am using the C-17 on my Roadeo, Tournesol, and my Hampsten STBI.

Stephen2014
09-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Them ridges can be sorted out, soak in water then reshape with a towel or t shirt stuffed in the underside as it dries to firmness.

benjamine74
09-17-2014, 03:36 AM
I have a swallow on my 'good' bike. On my training bike I have a smp evolution. Both are equally comfortable, in different ways though. The smp did take some getting used to, and careful setup and tinkering. As for the looks of smp, I'm used to that too, it looks fine to me.
That said I'm keen to try a c15 cambium.