PDA

View Full Version : So if I go with a compact crank . . .

jwb96
03-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Looking for some input on what crank I might go with. To be used with an otherwise DA 9-speed set up. Obviously some are advertising they don't need a compact-specific front derailleur. Then there's the issue of the bottom bracket. Some are available with Shimano Octalink, others ISIS, and others the new-style outboard bearings. Although I read somewhere recently (but can't remember where) an off-hand, unsubstantiated comment that the outboard bearing design, although stiffer, is less durable. Anything to that? Running all-Shimano up to this point, I have no experience with other bb's. Is there any advantage of using ISIS over Shimano?

Anyway, general experiences with compact cranks would be welcome - it seems there are plenty of choices out there.

Thanks,
Jim

nobrakes
03-08-2006, 09:38 PM
I've been using Campy Record Compact since last summer. It seemed like a mistake, at first, but now I love it. 34X50 and 11-23 cassette is very close to highs and lows of previous 12-25 and 39X53. I like 11-21 on less hilly and less than 100 mile rides. 34X23 is more than low enough for any long, hilly day. 11-25 would be good for Alpe Huez type riding, imho.

Louis
03-08-2006, 09:55 PM
JWB,

I don't have a compact double, but have given it some thought. I suggest that you think long and hard not just about the total range that a given crank-cassette combo will give you, but also about where you spend most of your time on typical rides.

For example, I live in a hilly area with twisty roads (and am not that great a climber) so I often use a triple. With my wide range cassette I can do 98% of my ride in the 42. I can approach the range my triple gives me my going to a compact double, but with a 34-50 in front I'll be a mile away from the ~42 "sweet spot" and I'll be constantly shifting from the 34 to the 50 and back. I've concluded that for the bulk of my riding a compact double is worse for me than a standard double with a bigger large cog in back. Given the choice between lots of shifting in front and lots of shifting in back I'll choose the back shifts any time.

Louis

Tailwinds
03-08-2006, 10:00 PM
I agree with Louis. My compact is GREAT for long climbing rides here in CO, but it's a PITA on rolling rides.

dave thompson
03-08-2006, 10:07 PM
I agree with Louis too. I used a compact double for awhile but went back to the Dura Ace triple and am very happy. Our terrain here in Eastern Washington varies quite a bit and with a triple I'm much more able to find the 'sweet spot' for the short intense climbs or the longer mountain climbs.

jwprolo
03-08-2006, 10:41 PM
I love my compact. My two favorite aspects are: I can do base miles in Santa Cruz (there is no such thing as flat anywhere from my house) with a 12-26. Leaving the chain in the 50 front is perfect for any crit (11-23). As others said, there is sometimes a missing gear, where you will constantly be switching between big and small ring and won't be happy. I solved this by either using a different cassette, or by putting a 36/52 on the front.

As far as the mechanical aspect--I use FSA ISIS cranks. Unlike many others, I have not had bb issues, but have heard of many bbs blowing up in no time. (I have heard blame placed on small ball bearings due to oversized spindle but not oversized shells. Something had to give.) I spent a little bit of extra time with my front d. adjustment and have crisp shifting with virtually no dropped chains. I use DA 9 shifters, Chorus fr d. (not the compact, the normal one), and a kmc chain. I did find better shifting results with DA levers than with Ultegra levers.

jwb96
03-09-2006, 06:32 AM
JWB,

I don't have a compact double, but have given it some thought. I suggest that you think long and hard not just about the total range that a given crank-cassette combo will give you, but also about where you spend most of your time on typical rides.

For example, I live in a hilly area with twisty roads (and am not that great a climber) so I often use a triple. With my wide range cassette I can do 98% of my ride in the 42. I can approach the range my triple gives me my going to a compact double, but with a 34-50 in front I'll be a mile away from the ~42 "sweet spot" and I'll be constantly shifting from the 34 to the 50 and back. I've concluded that for the bulk of my riding a compact double is worse for me than a standard double with a bigger large cog in back. Given the choice between lots of shifting in front and lots of shifting in back I'll choose the back shifts any time.

Louis
Here's my logic for considering a compact, and I thought this made sense: I'm a spinner and currently use a 39/53 and 12-23. I spend almost no time in the 53 because I can cruise at 20mph in the 39. I live in a rolling area, but no real hills or mountains. When I did a charity ride last year over the Kangamangus Highway, I did borrow someone's 12-25 and had no issues. So I'd be going to a compact to better (?) use probably a tighter rear cassette, like an 11-21, going to a 23 or 25 if I did go into the hills again. I am taking a close look at gear charts to make sure this makes sense though, and trying to decide the best mix of 36 or 34 for the small ring.

Or, I could just go down to a 52 or smaller on my regular double.

Bruce K
03-09-2006, 07:05 AM
I went to compacts with my D-A 9 speeds and the only thing I changed was the crankset. I even used the Octalink BB. Both bikes shifted reasonably well without re-doing the front derailleur.

Given how (relatively) inexpensive the front derailleurs are (IRD or other non-Shimano brand), it probably makes sense to swap it thses days.

When I moved the 9 speed stuff to the cross bike, I changed the front derailleur for use with the 46-36.

The 10 speed set-up has the Mega-Exo FSA compacts and a compact front derailleur.

I am considering changing the 34 to a 36 to try and get a little more use out of the inner ring.

BK

OldDog
03-09-2006, 08:53 AM
I received a Nashbar cat in the mail this week, they have the Ritchey compact Pro on sale for $99.00 and all silver.

I have one bike set up with a compact and 13/26 and another with 39/53 and a 13-29 (campy) I prefer the normal crank with a 29 in back as a bail out gear.
With 9/10 speeds you have enough cogs to spare two for granny's without going triple route. I do have a third set up with a 53/30/30 racing T and a 13/28 in back, it shifts well and the 30/28 is there if needed, this is more of a dirt roader.