PDA

View Full Version : What makes the PaceLine so much different?

Shortsocks
09-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Hey guys/gals.

So I'm about to hit 1000 posts...for me that's a lot but for other people that's nothing and I have been thinking about what makes this place so great?
Seriously, I check this General Discussion section of this site every morning before I check the news or work emails. My wife will often ask me what's so funny when I chuckle in bed. It's THIS DAMN PLACE. :)

I've belonged to a lot of forums in the past and present but I never have gotten this high on post counts before. What is it?

Comparing this to other cycling forums for example is place isn't big, yet it isn't small. It seems extremely well informed and on top of that very well balanced politically and socio economically. Other cycling related forums are cold, brash, competitive, backhanded, "snobby".....but this place seems to lack all the negative traits that make others suck.

Everyone seems to help others out. Winter comes around I'll shoot over warm gloves, or we pitch over jerseys to people in need going through a divorce or just plain hard times. Good deeds always come back around and every member I've ever met has been a really warm experience.

So what is it? Because this place has been and continues to be awesome.:banana:

parris
09-14-2014, 11:28 AM
I may be VERY wrong but I think that it comes down to simple respect for the members here. The mods do a great job of keeping things from going off the rails as do many of the people here. There's also a sense of ownership that I think we all share and don't want to mess up.

texbike
09-14-2014, 11:36 AM
IMO it's a function of a largely educated membership with varied backgrounds that are here for the comradery that comes from a common interest. I think that the membership realizes what we have here and actively polices the conduct (in cooperation with the moderators) to preserve a mostly congenial yet lively area for discussion on various topics.

I've been here for close to 10 years now and originally joined for info about a Serotta. I've learned and gained so much more than I could have imagined at that time. I love this place!

Texbike

SlackMan
09-14-2014, 11:44 AM
I'll echo the comments made by others above, and add that I think a nice summary word for the group here is 'mature.' I don't mean that as some use it to mean 'old.' Rather, the group here seems to have had enough life experiences to have a better idea of what matters and was doesn't matter in life. At some other forums, it seems like there is always some immature jerk(s) trying to make himself feel better or superior by belittling others. And of course, said jerk is often totally uninformed.

Like others, I really like this place!

Ken Robb
09-14-2014, 12:12 PM
I have visited and been visited by forumites. I have loaned and borrowed bicycles. I have led and been led on rides. Every experience has been wonderful.

ultraman6970
09-14-2014, 12:13 PM
What makes the PaceLine so much different???

That Ultra is here! :D

8aaron8
09-14-2014, 01:25 PM
:banana:Has to be the dancing banana's:banana:

berserk87
09-14-2014, 01:43 PM
I like that folks treat each other with respect, for the most part. There are differences of opinions, but I haven't seen a high degree of personal attacks or insults - very little, in fact. I don't have patience for flame wars on internet forums. I come to learn, help others learn from my experiences, and have fun. If I wanted insults, I would spend Thanksgiving with my in-laws.

The classifieds section handles itself quite well too.

There are some other forums that I have visited, with great info and some nice folks, but they are also loaded with folks that get off on insulting others or trying to make them look stupid. I can't stand that. Some of the folks doing it are knowledgeable about cycling gear and such, which is a shame. Maybe they think that such knowledge give them license to treat others poorly.

phcollard
09-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Here's what makes it great to me :
- Most of the folks here know what they are talking about.
- Everybody is willing to help each other.
- Conversations are friendly - but if they happen to derail the mods do a great job.
- Some folks have a great sense of humor.
- You can make good friends from all over the world - and sometimes actually meet them and ride with them.
- Did I mention the classifieds?
- Oh yeah and that's the only forum I know which unofficial symbol is a dancing banana.

:banana:

2LeftCleats
09-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Have to agree with everything said.

Lots of thoughtful people with in-depth knowledge.

Since corporations are now people, do you suppose a forum can be too? And if that's the case maybe the forum can run as a third party. Paceline groupthink could better handle the problems of this country than either current party.

Bruce K
09-14-2014, 05:07 PM
We mods appreciate the comments/feedback

PLEASE let's stay away from politics

BK

marciero
09-14-2014, 05:10 PM
I concur with all the comments-Knowledge, intelligence, respect, maturity. I'm relatively new here, but within a couple of weeks started to get the vibe of the place. There is a decorum. The absence of vulgarity, poor taste, offensive remarks, etc. is refreshing. People can disagree on potentially contentious social or other OT issues but always seem to do so respectfully. People generally act (or post) like grownups. There is a lot of wit. People write well and I enjoy reading the posts.

AngryScientist
09-14-2014, 05:42 PM
it's the handsome staff of moderators. without a doubt.

and the dancing banana. without both of them - we are nothing.

dgauthier
09-14-2014, 05:48 PM
It's the Serotta connection.

This board used to be for Serotta owners, who tended to be mature, well educated and affluent. I would imagine this board is still dominated by Serotta customers, and so the atmosphere is similar to what you would find chatting with established, respectable upscale professionals at a nice dinner party.

shovelhd
09-14-2014, 05:50 PM
It's a nice mix of recreational riders, Fondo riders, and racers. Everyone is a bit of a gear freak. Works for me.

Ken Robb
09-14-2014, 05:53 PM
It's a nice mix of recreational riders, Fondo riders, and racers. Everyone is a bit of a gear freak. Works for me.

Not to mention old geezers who can barely ride at all. :beer:

firerescuefin
09-14-2014, 05:56 PM

This board used to be for Serotta owners, who tended to be mature, well educated and affluent. I would imagine this board is still dominated by Serotta customers, and so the atmosphere is similar to what you would find chatting with established, respectable upscale professionals at a nice dinner party.

Respectfully disagree....kind of.

I think perhaps they set the stage and expectations, but most here now don't own Serottas or have been Serotta owners. I'd add that the demographics are a little wider than you believe.

I'd say the people that stick here are pretty legit. To the person, each I have met/ridden with/shared a meal with, has strongly resembled their online persona. I have yet to have a bad in person experience.

shovelhd
09-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Speaking of which, nice to meet you today eBaumann. The kit and bike aren't as loud in person as in the pics. Looks really nice. He had a tough start to his race. Worked hard to hold position but faded a bit in the end. Nice work.

pbarry
09-14-2014, 06:11 PM
Respectfully disagree....kind of.

I think perhaps they set the stage and expectations, but most here now don't own Serottas or have been Serotta owners. I'd add that the demographics are a little wider than you believe.

I'd say the people that stick here are pretty legit. To the person, each I have met/ridden with/shared a meal with, has strongly resembled their online persona. I have yet to have a bad in person experience.

Speaking of which, nice to meet you today eBaumann. The kit and bike aren't as loud in person as in the pics. Looks really nice. He had a tough start to his race. Worked hard to hold position but faded a bit in the end. Nice work.

Faint praise is another Paceline attribute: Keeps us humble. :beer:

tiretrax
09-14-2014, 06:25 PM
I think it's that we share a common bond - love of bicycles and cycling and, for the most part, respect each other's opinions even when we disagree. These days, there are few places that occurs. Oh, and you can meet folks and ride with them and have a great time.

I came here looking for information on riding in Colorado, and I met up with Bruce K and Pete McKeon when we were all at the Copper Triangle the same week. Bought a cap from Shortsocks and picked it up in person. Had a 3 hour conversation when I had hoped to be out of the Starbucks in 5 minutes. Picked out JMoore from a crowd of cyclists when he was riding his Bedford. Enjoyed a couple of nice rides and conversation with him. Met and rode with Mike748 on a charity ride a few years ago. Great people that are a pleasure to be with and share our love of the sport/equipment is what makes this place great. Whether they share my viewpoint or experiences is immaterial. Just people getting together to share something they love.

roguedog
09-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Great people here. Knowledgeable without having the need to prove it. Feels safe to ask "stupid" questions without being blasted and even worse, not even having your question answered.

Good folks round these parts. Have received lots of help from forum members and have learned tons from all of you.

msl819
09-14-2014, 06:54 PM
I came here years ago looking for info on a Serotta. I have stayed because of all that I have learned about so much more. I agree the people here are overwhelmingly great. I have bought and sold, asked qustions that I am sure were dumb but never was I treated like they were. I wish I lived where I could meet more members in person. I have participated on many forums. This is the only one I frequent now.

Netdewt
09-14-2014, 07:58 PM
I love this place.

I don't own a Serotta, or any custom. But I wish I did. Actually I want all the bikes, and it's your fault, The Paceline.

josephr
09-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Faint praise is another Paceline attribute: Keeps us humble. :beer:

'cept for Ultraman, no humbleness there but of course, its not braggin if its true. :banana:

BMS
09-14-2014, 09:02 PM
A friend of mine (a fellow member) told me about the forum so I checked it out. I'm hooked now. I'll echo all the great comments above and also re-emphasize one in particular: OWNERSHIP. The people on this forum all seem to share ownership of this forum and feel responsible for its success. I've bought multiple items from the marketplace. All purchases have been flawless and all sellers were very polite. It's truly a great place.

MattTuck
09-14-2014, 09:05 PM
This question deserves more than a trite answer, but I'd say it is a combination of:

People who are generally curious and want to learn (I think the custom bike crowd is a bit iconoclastic and anti-establishment to begin with, so there is a real attitude of learning and discovery that is engrained in the DNA of this place)
People who want to pay it forward and pass on their wisdom/experiences.
People with enough maturity/self-control that disagreements stay generally good natured and based on the facts. And rarely does a long-term member resort to ad hominem attacks.

eBAUMANN
09-14-2014, 09:05 PM

Haha yea I lined up behind a very fast friend hoping for a lead out into the holeshot...said friend missed his clip-in about 3-4 times and turned into a road block instead, lucky me :) Then the rest of the race proceeded to remind me how much better I do on technical courses...not in good enough shape for the hammerfests!

But yes, it was great to meet you and thanks for the "faint praise," it was a very accurate account of my day haha.

As far as the Paceline dynamic is concerned - I think we are just lucky enough to have an awesome group of people here who are just genuinely respectful of each other...which is pretty rare on the internet these days.

metalheart
09-14-2014, 11:21 PM
civility and :banana:

pjmsj21
09-15-2014, 12:41 PM

Although I am biased in owning two Serotta's I would agree with a good part of this sentiment. I started reading the Serotta forum because they had good stuff in the classifieds and later purchased a new Serotta because of the board's influence. While not all of the forum member owned Serotta's back in the day, there was a level of maturity and experience that positively impacted the quality of the posts. In short there was very little fluff.

I do get a sense that the makeup of the forum membership has changed since changing names and to some extent, the posts sometimes lean more towards less meaningful information. But it still is a great place.

I would also say that the moderators are great and keep the discussions civil. Along with the moderators, there are a few individual members that are pillars of the forum and really make HUGE contributions of knowledge. They include Old Potatoe (Peter) and Dave Kirk. With very few exceptions, I take their comments as the bible and this forum would certainly not be what it is without their contribution.

David Kirk
09-15-2014, 01:24 PM
I agree - this is a different, and to me, a better place than any others out there. I can come up with a long list of reason for this and it's hard to say how important each of them are but I feel confident in saying that they all add up so something different and special.

I enjoy myself here and it all so often reminds me why I love this sport and the equipment it brings with it.

dave

Brian Cdn
09-15-2014, 03:51 PM
The difference is, that PL is sophisticated and cool.

Highpowernut
09-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Its the sum of the whole.
I learn a lot here.

Thanks to all that help, even if it's just cuz I read more than I post.

rustychisel
09-16-2014, 11:52 PM
it's the vibe of the thing

soulspinner
09-17-2014, 05:51 AM
I agree - this is a different, and to me, a better place than any others out there. I can come up with a long list of reason for this and it's hard to say how important each of them are but I feel confident in saying that they all add up so something different and special.

I enjoy myself here and it all so often reminds me why I love this sport and the equipment it brings with it.

dave

I don't know you and do not own nor have I owned one of your frames but I will say you are one of the reasons this place is so great. To have you take the time to help us on the forum with your level of expertise is fantastic. Someday when there is no tuition and no surgical bills Im gonna own one of your fillet brazed bikes. A big THANK YOU.

BumbleBeeDave
09-17-2014, 05:57 AM
Great people here. Knowledgeable without having the need to prove it. Feels safe to ask "stupid" questions without being blasted and even worse, not even having your question answered.

Good folks round these parts. Have received lots of help from forum members and have learned tons from all of you.

. . . ridiculed for asking any well-meant question should let the mods know. I hear those guys are a bunch of real SOB's . . . :rolleyes:

We want this to be the neighborhood tavern that is open 24/7/365 where you can always wander in and find somebody to sit down and have a good conversation with about cycling or whatever is OT. It may get a bit boisterous at times, but you still feel like you can bring your family and they will not be (too) offended. :)

BBD

cd_davis
09-17-2014, 06:48 AM
Like Cheers....

cfox
09-17-2014, 07:30 AM
It's a good forum. I like that the mods don't try to reinvent the forum via randomly locking threads. Bits are cheap; there is plenty of room for beginner questions or sock threads and, frankly, they usually quickly run their course. No need for heavy-handed modding to filter out "unworthy" threads.

christian
09-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Lack of capricious moderation.
Reasonably mature audience.
Nice traffic volume.
Fairly large population of long-time members who continue to set the tone for the forum culture.

But really I'm just here for the classifieds. :)

mktng
09-17-2014, 07:51 AM
Haven't read through all the posts yet. But for me.

-Knowledgeable people
-Fair people
-Enough traffic to have something new to read in the discussions or oogle at in the marketplace... Every half hr.

Fishbike
09-17-2014, 09:44 AM
A few random thoughts:

Universal passion for bikes old and new.

Knowledge, helpfulness, kindness, generosity, intellect, maturity and humor.

No I-am-so-abstruse-I am-cool attitude.

Pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Great conversations about the world through the prism of a love for bikes.

Classifieds!!!!!!!!

Incentives to ride more.

Confirmation that I am not the only one with a bike problem.

Focus on custom bikes and builders.

MadRocketSci
09-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Fairly large population of long-time members who continue to set the tone for the forum culture.

But really I'm just here for the classifieds. :)

For those who have been reading for a long time, I think the much of the tone was set by Douglas Brooks, and though he no longer posts much (if ever), the forum has managed to keep that spirit alive.

The dude wrote good. :banana:

dgauthier
09-17-2014, 10:59 AM
For those who have been reading for a long time, I think the much of the tone was set by Douglas Brooks, and though he no longer posts much (if ever), the forum has managed to keep that spirit alive.

The dude wrote good. :banana:

Was that the gentleman with the *huge* bike collection (in the hundreds) who had a thing for old French frames by Singer and Rene Herse?

vav
09-17-2014, 11:06 AM
A great example is the RI ramble hosted by Williams. Went last year and when I mentioned it to my wife she was really surprised that anybody could just open the doors and host an event for people that he has never met before *. At the ramble and before and after, any forumite that I have come across to meet in person, it's been a pleasure. ( even bbdave :eek: :p )

* and just in case you are the party crasher type, I wouldn't recommend crashing William's ;)

Climb01742
09-17-2014, 11:07 AM
two things stand out for me:

the vast majority of people here seem to sincerely want to help. whether it's sharing knowledge or a part they have, folks come here focused on helping others rather than aggrandizing themselves. the heart of this community is inspiring.

and there are no dominant personalities, cliques or doctrines here. openness and equality rule the day and discourse here 99% of the time. we're a bar without bouncers.

bluesea
09-17-2014, 11:44 AM
This place isn't full of itself, nor does it have a bunch of jaded too long term members waiting to pounce on less experienced members.

MadRocketSci
09-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Was that the gentleman with the *huge* bike collection (in the hundreds) who had a thing for old French frames by Singer and Rene Herse?

There were others with huge collections as well (DNovo comes to mind), but Professor Brooks had (has) a large number of bikes stored in his upstate NY home, which I understand he has generously lent to people for the Tour of Finger Lakes, which he also organized and hosted homemade Indian dinners for. He did have a penchant for French frames but also more modern frames, I believe he was one of the early (to me) admirers of Pegoretti. They even look alike - there's a picture of the two of them together floating around.

Ken Robb
09-17-2014, 12:08 PM
DBRK may have had 50 really cool bikes in his collection and I borrowed a few of them. He was certainly one of the early guiding lights back in the Serotta Forum days. I think it's a bit ironic that he quit being a regular here when we had a few acrimonious threads that were really NOT LIKE US at all. I was concerned that we might be heading toward the snarky one-up-manship atmospheres so common elsewhere. Happily the disruptive influences were discouraged by the moderators and other participants and toned down their comments or left the space.

Now if we can get DBRK back on a regular basis we will all benefit. The truth is that he is a professor of religion at Rochester U. and a world famous teacher of yoga teachers who gives seminars around the world so he has a pretty full schedule. On top of that he just got married so maybe we will be lucky to get a Xmas card this year. :)

Mr. Squirrel
09-17-2014, 12:08 PM
all of you have such wonderful taste, especially in wheels. you make me so giddy i just have to scamper all over the road! nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

William
09-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Honestly,

its you that makes this such a great place. Many fine people have shared and contributed over the years. People in the industry as well as enthusiasts, collectors, and racers alike. There have been numerous individuals who have helped set the bar high, some have gone, and some are still here. The legacy helps, but the people shape it. Well done and kudos to all of you for making this such a fine place to hang out!:cool:

William

PS: Though apparently we still have a rodent in the house.:p;)

cnighbor1
09-17-2014, 11:05 PM
What makes the PaceLine so much different?
simple I Charles f. Nighbor, Architect is a member and contributor
Charles
PS And it covers a wide range of subjects and a lot not bicycle related

jtakeda
09-17-2014, 11:23 PM
I think what makes this place great is the willingness to share information and the depth of knowledge, really in all aspects of life.

There are very capable folks who are willing to take 10 minutes out of their day to help someone who hasn't had as much experience.

Being able to get a qualified teacher is half the battle and this place makes it very easy to find that person.

Thanks all.

Javaman
09-18-2014, 12:05 AM
Been said before but I'll say again; lots of generous folks here, knowledge and cycling stuff wise. I have been a recipent of that generosity many times!
Thank you all!

professerr
09-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Lack of shilling of any kind, at least that I can discern. There’s nothing worse than otherwise knowledgeable industry guys and their pals who intersperse their legit expertise with endless praise for each other or, even worse, stuff from businesses they have ties to, while squelching any negative stuff.

Here, there’s a diverse enough mix of participants and mods that the marketplace of ideas pretty quickly sorts out the legitimate praise from the bs, as well as the opposite: posts with an ax to grind against some company are quickly put into perspective by other posts. Heck, even Rapha gets a fair shake here ;-)

aaronka
09-21-2014, 09:39 PM
Respectful discussions and intent to add to versus take away from appreciation/enjoyment for the sport.

Crazy deep knowledge. Like a fast answer to any arcane bike question that can be thought of.

rounder
09-21-2014, 10:44 PM
DBRK may have had 50 really cool bikes in his collection and I borrowed a few of them. He was certainly one of the early guiding lights back in the Serotta Forum days. I think it's a bit ironic that he quit being a regular here when we had a few acrimonious threads that were really NOT LIKE US at all. I was concerned that we might be heading toward the snarky one-up-manship atmospheres so common elsewhere. Happily the disruptive influences were discouraged by the moderators and other participants and toned down their comments or left the space.

Now if we can get DBRK back on a regular basis we will all benefit. The truth is that he is a professor of religion at Rochester U. and a world famous teacher of yoga teachers who gives seminars around the world so he has a pretty full schedule. On top of that he just got married so maybe we will be lucky to get a Xmas card this year. :)

I never wanted to own one of DBRK's bikes, but loved how he appreciated and talked about them. Like that he still posts here occasionally.

When I first came here, it was to learn how to build a Serotta frame that I had just bought off ebay (I already had one that I had been riding for 15 years). Later, after learning about the guys who had dedicated their lives to building custom bikes, I bought two K. Bedford bikes. The bikes are awesome. For me, the whole process since I got here has been a learning experience. No regrets.

I try to contribute here some with what I know, but receive a lot more than I give. Thanks all!

GeorgeTSquirrel
09-21-2014, 11:54 PM
I actually post here less than other forums... but I hold this forum in much higher regard. This is where I come for answers and respectful discussion. I go to other forums to waste time and answer the typical noob questions that get asked over and over again at the larger forums. I first started lurking here due to better group knowledge of Campy components compared to other forums.

Don49
09-21-2014, 11:55 PM
all of you have such wonderful taste, especially in wheels. you make me so giddy i just have to scamper all over the road! nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrelIt's the whole interspecies thing that keeps me here, so lacking on other forums.

fiamme red
09-22-2014, 09:35 AM
It's the whole interspecies thing that keeps me here, so lacking on other forums.I miss the penguin (Your_Friend!).

Ahneida Ride
09-22-2014, 06:05 PM
This place isn't full of itself, nor does it have a bunch of jaded too long term members waiting to pounce on less experienced members.

That would be pouncing on me, cause I'm just about the least knowledgeable
rider out there ;)

Ahneida Ride
09-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Honestly,

its you that makes this such a great place.

William

Bingo. Uncle William gots this right.

It sure ain't the mods.

SpokeValley
09-22-2014, 06:32 PM
This is one of my first check-ins in the morning.

Always fun, informative, and usually funny.

I love this place. :banana:

buckfifty
09-23-2014, 01:04 PM
The majority of the people here are nice and generous with providing information and opinions without being condescending. Other forums have too much needless bickering and it's not as inviting