PDA

View Full Version : Given that most Campy-philes aren't on board with 2015 stuff...

Nags&Ducs
09-13-2014, 10:37 PM
If you fall into this category (not a fanboy of 2015), of which I admit to disliking as well, and you will need a set or two of a gruppo in the next year, are you stocking up on a 2014 gruppo?

I dislike the cranks. The rear derailleur body has some changes but it's too minor for me to care. Anyone know if there are significant improvements in performance in the 2015 offerings? Should I be overlooking the fugliness of the cranks because they are "better"???

I've been wanting to change out the Chorus 10 on my S&S travel bike to C11 at some point. Might have to do it now before the '14s are no longer available. I guess I'll be shopping around at the usual places. I may need to pick up two sets of the '14 C11!

d_douglas
09-14-2014, 01:20 AM
Still waiting for Campy Hydraulic brakes :)

soulspinner
09-14-2014, 05:46 AM
Im thinking 2014 campy 11 as well. Of course when I saw the current shifter tops I said the same thing, then I put my mitts on em....

oldpotatoe
09-14-2014, 06:04 AM
If you fall into this category (not a fanboy of 2015), of which I admit to disliking as well, and you will need a set or two of a gruppo in the next year, are you stocking up on a 2014 gruppo?

I dislike the cranks. The rear derailleur body has some changes but it's too minor for me to care. Anyone know if there are significant improvements in performance in the 2015 offerings? Should I be overlooking the fugliness of the cranks because they are "better"???

I've been wanting to change out the Chorus 10 on my S&S travel bike to C11 at some point. Might have to do it now before the '14s are no longer available. I guess I'll be shopping around at the usual places. I may need to pick up two sets of the '14 C11!

Just talked to a guy back from Interbike and he said the action of the 2015 Campagnolo stuff, SR/Record/Chorus was 'amazing'..an improvement over the 2014 stuff, which is already really good. He mentioned the fder about 5 times..If ya don't like the crank(and I do)..just use a 2014 crank and the rest 2015..mix and match. Chorus appears the best value, again.

Black Dog
09-14-2014, 07:08 AM
Just talked to a guy back from Interbike and he said the action of the 2015 Campagnolo stuff, SR/Record/Chorus was 'amazing'..an improvement over the 2014 stuff, which is already really good. He mentioned the fder about 5 times..If ya don't like the crank(and I do)..just use a 2014 crank and the rest 2015..mix and match. Chorus appears the best value, again.

Fronts shifting is really a "bells and whistles" thing if you have a reliable set up with current 11 speed; 3 clicks and up to the big ring. I know you do not get excited about it either.

My question is wether or not the rear shifting has improved in a significant way over the current generation which is already very impressive?

AngryScientist
09-14-2014, 07:12 AM
there is always something better. i personally really like the looks of the new stuff and will be buying a chorus set as soon as i can for a new bike being built for me right now. that said, the current stuff is excellent. the UK regular places have it on sale for short money right now, and it's not a bad time at all to stock up on the current gear.

oldpotatoe
09-14-2014, 07:49 AM
Fronts shifting is really a "bells and whistles" thing if you have a reliable set up with current 11 speed; 3 clicks and up to the big ring. I know you do not get excited about it either.

My question is wether or not the rear shifting has improved in a significant way over the current generation which is already very impressive?

Front is less lever throw and less effort for the fder.

mdeeds71
09-14-2014, 08:29 AM

I'll take that chorus from the S&S plus shipping...or I mean a few at Volksfest!:beer::beer::beer::beer:

pdmtong
09-14-2014, 08:48 AM
We all have our preferences. I personally don't see a need to stock up on old
Anyone hoarde 2008 record 10? Here we are again with 2014 bits. Time marches on. Aesthetically the crank and FD is a campy/carbon version of 9000
Does the look suck? Not to me. If the crank does not appeal to you then do like spud suggests. Just stash a few crank sets unless you are a whole group must match person

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-14-2014, 08:55 AM

thirdgenbird
09-14-2014, 09:22 AM
I'm ok with the crankset. The hate they receive make me prefer them.

irideti
09-14-2014, 09:34 AM
I traded 1st year Super Record 11s for Sram because I dislike its soft click and finicky shifting thanks to weak springs and bad cable routing. Few friends also experienced with similar problems so I know it wasn't just me.
I rode Campy exclusively for over 10 years before switching to Sram.

I test rode 2015 Super Record on trainer during Interbike and found the new shifting is much more positive and precise. A Campy rep spent 10min going over all the improvements which make me believe Campy is listening to customers very well. I think I might go back to Campy for pure mechanical heavan.

Personally I like the look of new 4-arm crank and everything else. Oh new wider Bora wheels are so sexy.

wasfast
09-14-2014, 09:53 AM
You don't have to use 100% of the components. I still think in terms of mini groups (RD, FD, Shifters) VS full groupo (RD, RD, Shifters, Crank, brakes etc). The mini group really defines the functional difference between the big 3 brands IMO. Cranks and brakes are somewhat independent.

I have a Quarq PM that gets swapped between bikes as needed anyway. That could also apply for SRM, Stages etc.

rain dogs
09-14-2014, 09:58 AM
You sure that "Given that most Campy-philes aren't on board with 2015 stuff..." isn't actually "Given that fewer Campy-philes aren't on board with 2015?"

Certainly, people reacted negatively to the first crank prototype pics, myself included. But since then, most people I know think the new cranks look great, myself included.

and that's just the cranks... everything else looks to be at least as good or better. 2015 Campy line is superb.

oldpotatoe
09-14-2014, 10:01 AM
I traded 1st year Super Record 11s for Sram because I dislike its soft click and finicky shifting thanks to weak springs and bad cable routing. Few friends also experienced with similar problems so I know it wasn't just me.
I rode Campy exclusively for over 10 years before switching to Sram.

I test rode 2015 Super Record on trainer during Interbike and found the new shifting is much more positive and precise. A Campy rep spent 10min going over all the improvements which make me believe Campy is listening to customers very well. I think I might go back to Campy for pure mechanical heavan.

Personally I like the look of new 4-arm crank and everything else. Oh new wider Bora wheels are so sexy.

The light shift feel of 2009 11s was corrected before 2010 shifters were introduced, running change.

dgauthier
09-14-2014, 10:17 AM
You sure that "Given that most Campy-philes aren't on board with 2015 stuff..." isn't actually "Given that fewer Campy-philes aren't on board with 2015?"

Certainly, people reacted negatively to the first crank prototype pics, myself included. But since then, most people I know think the new cranks look great, myself included.

and that's just the cranks... everything else looks to be at least as good or better. 2015 Campy line is superb.

+1. The new stuff looks *fine*, and my tastes run toward the traditional. If I were in the market for a new group set, I wouldn't hesitate to go 100% 2015 Chorus.

bontie
09-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Just a note on the mixing and matching 2015 levers and derailleurs are not compatible with pre '15 11 speed shifters and derailleurs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
09-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Just a note on the mixing and matching 2015 levers and derailleurs are not compatible with pre '15 11 speed shifters and derailleurs

That said, I hope somebody tries it before we really know.

Lovetoclimb
09-14-2014, 10:55 AM
I am definitely not as into it aesthetically, but will be swapping out my older mixed year (2011-2013) gruppo for the newest gen Chorus so Lundbeck Cycles can put the bike in his NAHBS booth. Hoping to have a "team" set-up of 4-5 bikes with newest Campy gruppos, all set up to our personal touches, gearing preferences, budgets, etc. Should be pretty neat.

bluesea
09-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Front is less lever throw and less effort for the fder.

That to me is the most substantial upgrade. Are the 2015 shifters compatible with 2014?

irideti
09-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Yes but 2015 is even more positive.

bontie
09-14-2014, 11:47 AM
That said, I hope somebody tries it before we really know.

According to velotech uk, the uk service centre this is true. They have tested it, and posted it over on the weightweenies forum.

thirdgenbird
09-14-2014, 11:49 AM
That to me is the most substantial upgrade. Are the 2015 shifters compatible with 2014?

According to a trial done on weight weenies, no. Apparently you can swap out the index discs though.

Nags&Ducs
09-14-2014, 02:34 PM
I'll take that chorus from the S&S plus shipping...or I mean a few at Volksfest!:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Haha! Mark, I already have the C10 group slated for my other S&S bike,which currently has alloy C10. Alloy C10 will eventually be needed for lugged steel frames. :beer::beer:

oldpotatoe
09-14-2014, 03:06 PM
According to a trial done on weight weenies, no. Apparently you can swap out the index discs though.

10-4...it sounds like the basic design of the innards is about the same then, same reliability. I wonder if the 2015 discs will be available as a small part.

Dr Luxurious
09-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Stocking up on 2014??!?

Hell, Ive been stocking up on 1998 9sp!
Seriously!

choke
09-14-2014, 03:29 PM
If someone gave me a 2015 group it would be in the classifieds the next day as a WTT....I don't do carbon parts period*. Unless things change dramatically, I've probably long ago purchased my last brand new Campy group and will continue to try to stock up on alloy 10sp bits.

*I know Athena is available in alloy but the Powershift is a dealbreaker.

thirdgenbird
09-14-2014, 03:34 PM
If someone gave me a 2015 group it would be in the classifieds the next day as a WTT....I don't do carbon parts period*. Unless things change dramatically, I've probably long ago purchased my last brand new Campy group and will continue to try to stock up on alloy 10sp bits.

*I know Athena is available in alloy but the Powershift is a dealbreaker.

Buy chorus ergos (pre-15) and swap out the brake blades for Athena.

choke
09-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Buy chorus ergos (pre-15) and swap out the brake blades for Athena.I did that on the only 11sp bike I have (which I purchased used with Chorus). There are a couple of downsides to that approach: a) it's costly to source the alloy blades and b) I seem to be in the minority but I prefer the older hood shape.

saab2000
09-14-2014, 03:52 PM
FWIW, Powershift works very well. I have it on one bike and really like it. I could see putting it on more bikes. I'm still on 10-speed and have three bikes with Centaur new-shape shifters. I might like the PS ones the most.

As for the complaining about the 2015.....

Camagnolo is not a reenactment manufacturer. They make stuff for Pro Tour level racing and the result is a new crank. Every generation, folks whine. Their stuff works and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Ralph
09-14-2014, 04:57 PM
FWIW, Powershift works very well. I have it on one bike and really like it. I could see putting it on more bikes. I'm still on 10-speed and have three bikes with Centaur new-shape shifters. I might like the PS ones the most.

As for the complaining about the 2015.....

Camagnolo is not a reenactment manufacturer. They make stuff for Pro Tour level racing and the result is a new crank. Every generation, folks whine. Their stuff works and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I think the same. I've got 2010 Centaur Carbon Ultra Shift on one bike, and 2011 Power Shift (double or triple version) on another. I think the PS shifts better. Crisper on rear, and really slams the FD shift. I run a standard 39-52 crank with a 13-26 usually, and never dump gears. So dump feature not missed. Sometimes run a triple for mountain trips, have used both with triple, and both work well. After reading all the negative vibe against PS, I figured it was no good. I was wrong. It's just a little different.

saab2000
09-14-2014, 05:08 PM
I don't really dump the gears either. I've only ever shifted one or two at a time. The Powershift action seems like the action Shimano would create if they used the Campagnolo shifters. It's a sort of trigger release of the derailleur on the upshift (big cog to small cog) and it has a Shimano-like feel on the downshift (smaller cog to bigger cog). I don't find this bad but on the downshift it has a bit less tactile feel than I might like and feels a bit mushy. But it's not a deal breaker. Both directions work better from the drops than the 'normal' Campagnolo shift feel.

I like it and wouldn't be sorry if it was all like that. It takes about 1/2 mile to get used to the difference and after than it's thoughtless. The shape is the same.

As to the 13-26? It's the best cassette they make. I'm a huge fan. I only have it on one bike and it covers 99.8% of the terrain I see. The 12-25 misses the 18 in the middle, and yeah, as you get older the power band narrows making the 18 a very useful gear on some of the slopes.

It's a rare day that I can actually use a 12-tooth cog with the standard 39/53 chainrings. It's an even rarer day where I ride most of my rides that I can use the 11. I avoid those.

sg8357
09-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Still no EPS d/t shifters.

Really want hydro disk + d/t shifters, just to confuse the fast kids.

Asudef
09-14-2014, 11:56 PM
If I go 2015 Campy, I'll just pair it with the Comp One/Ultra cranks unless someone bursts my bubble and says they're not compatible.

Wakatel_Luum
09-15-2014, 12:13 AM
I like the 2015 gear, my only issue is it's not backward compatible...

Doesn't matter anyway, I'm still riding this...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/14/472c4d8add8c077f1c530113c4198ad3.jpg

Nags&Ducs
09-15-2014, 12:56 AM
I like the 2015 gear, my only issue is it's not backward compatible...

Doesn't matter anyway, I'm still riding this...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/14/472c4d8add8c077f1c530113c4198ad3.jpg

Beautiful condition of the alloy C10! As I might've mentioned I've been hoarding alloy gruppos. Got 4 gruppos (1 Chorus, 1 Centaur, and 2 Daytonas) waiting in the wings for my future steel purchases. Hey, if you ever want to sell your C10 alloy to a worthy cause, I'm your huckleberry!!! :)

Wakatel_Luum
09-15-2014, 01:13 AM
Will keep you in mind...

c-record
09-15-2014, 09:58 AM
+1. The new stuff looks *fine*, and my tastes run toward the traditional. If I were in the market for a new group set, I wouldn't hesitate to go 100% 2015 Chorus.

I agree on Chorus except I get hung on on the brakes being bushing rather than bearing. I know this is how it's been for a while but it's too bad. I think the Chorus graphics wins over the Record and SR red on many bikes.

Just running Chorus with upgraded brakes is an option but then you lose the nice black/white and get the contemporary red unfortunately.

pjmsj21
09-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Does anyone know if the 2015 brakes provide more vertical room than the 2014 versions? It seems that a number of folks on the board had clearance issues that hopefully Campy would have addressed.

muchness
09-15-2014, 04:31 PM
I rode the Campy bikes on the trainer at Interbike. I played with the Shimano bikes in the stands upstairs.

The front shifting on 2015 SR is not as light as 9000 or 6800.

I'm sure it could have been dialed in better, but the front shifting was not up to par with my 2013 Chorus. The rear shifting is the same as the last generation.

The Chorus EPS feels way more substantial and solid than 6870, I vastly prefer Campy's button feel.

jerrym
09-22-2014, 10:21 PM
I like the new design just fine. Except for a diversion in the late 1980's (Dura Ace) I have been riding Campy since one of my first racing bikes in 1960 (the old Gran Sport wouldn't even shift from the small cog to the next one up - you had to go up 2 and then back down). So I don't expect it to stay looking the same, and if it did Campy would be gone.

When will be be available in the US?

oldpotatoe
09-23-2014, 06:58 AM
I like the new design just fine. Except for a diversion in the late 1980's (Dura Ace) I have been riding Campy since one of my first racing bikes in 1960 (the old Gran Sport wouldn't even shift from the small cog to the next one up - you had to go up 2 and then back down). So I don't expect it to stay looking the same, and if it did Campy would be gone.

When will be be available in the US?

Next month or next..will go to the limited OEM in Europe first, thence to the US distributors.

El Chaba
09-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Stocking up on 2014??!?

Hell, Ive been stocking up on 1998 9sp!
Seriously!

All things considered, in my estimation the 9 speed era Record and Chorus parts were the best that Campy has ever made. Since then it has been a series of trades of quality for "features'....

bobswire
09-23-2014, 09:00 AM
All things considered, in my estimation the 9 speed era Record and Chorus parts were the best that Campy has ever made. Since then it has been a series of trades of quality for "features'....

CF has been the bane of bikes and bike parts in function and aesthetics whether that be Campy, Shimano or Sram, IMO.