PDA

View Full Version : Stella Azzurra question....

Loro_tomas
03-08-2006, 03:51 PM
I want to move my handlebar a bit lower. Do not run any spacers so I need a new stem. I have a -6 degrees stem now and want to try a -10 degree. Out of the ones I've checked the Viceversa seems the nicer to me. Is there any reason not to go for the Mag version over the Alu one other than price? I was told that mag in a stem is not a very good idea by a bike mechanic here. I've all ready search the archives about the topic with no luck. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Loro.

Headwinds
03-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey Loro,

I have been using Stella products, including their Mag stems for about 3+ years and have had ZERO problems! I think the company is great in honoring the warranty, etc. The only issue I have had with their products was a couple of years ago, when I used one of their super thin carbon handlebars and it cracked. But they replaced it, no questions asked!

Magnesium is a bit harder to care for that alloy when it comes to bike parts. One caution you should take with (anything) Mag is to make sure that the material is not exposed to the elements by cracks or chips on the paint. I am aware that in humid enviroments, such as were I live (So. Florida), Mag can just about disintegrate if it gets in contact with sea spray.... but I am going on my fourth year with a mag stem and it has been great. I spoke about this with some of the riders and mechanics from the Navigators Cycling Team when they came to town for a race a while back. They said they had no problems with Mag, other than corrosion. But they stressed that they also abused these stems while travelling.

I think Stella Azzurra has discontined their Mag stems and they now have the carbon stems and allow stems only, check they web site.... The only reason I do not like their alloy stems is because the have a silver plate. I wish they would had given us the choice of black or silver, a la Campy.

I have a couple of those mag stems in 12 cm, and I was also able to get a few black stem caps, especially made by Stella for their alloy stems, if you are interested in any of this, please PM me.

Fixed
03-08-2006, 09:14 PM
bro i thought this was about beer cheers :beer:

Loro_tomas
03-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Great post!!!!!

bro i thought this was about beer cheers :beer: