PDA

View Full Version : Is Giordana still making Bib Knickers?

MattTuck
09-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Went to order some for the upcoming autumn (after a cold ride today), and can't seem to fine SilverLine (preferred) or FormaRed level bib knickers in size Large or XL.

The assos and rapha bib knickers seem to be a little too spendy, and many other makers seem to be ~$100 range which gives me pause about build quality and/or chamois/materials.

rwsaunders
09-12-2014, 10:47 PM
I've purchased from these folks before...they usually have decent prices on discounted models.

http://www.classiccycling.com/silverline-bib-shorts-c-610_513_750_752.html

http://www.classiccycling.com/giordana-silverline-winter-bib-knickers-2012-p-2449.html?cPath=610_513_763

Louis
09-12-2014, 10:52 PM
Random comment:

I have some knickers and use them every now and then, but unless your shorts/bibs are made of super-thin material (and therefore inappropriate for somewhat cool weather) it's just as easy and almost as good to use what you already have + some knee warmers. That way all you need are the knee warmers, not an entirely new piece. Plus, there's no need to wash the warmers after every ride. Mine go for ages, sometimes a whole season without being washed.

MattTuck
09-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Thanks for that link. It appears that the silverline knickers were last made in 2012... but they have the formared from 2014. Cool, appreciate that link.

Louis, I have leg warmers I can use on my current shorts, or go to tights that I wear over my shorts, but honestly, I want something that is going to give me the warmth of the tights to avoid the shrunken turtle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DoARSlv-HU&feature=player_detailpage#t=95) and have a chamois that is more connected (as I feel that tights over shorts has too much sliding around). I'm not opposed to getting regular bib shorts that are made from a more thermal material. But I need that extra warmth... the knee coverage of knickers is incidental.

choke
09-12-2014, 11:05 PM
Here you go... http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/bib-knickers-giordana-silverline-bib-knickers/giorzbbk208

Louis
09-12-2014, 11:21 PM
Matt, if it's that cold, I use tights, not knickers.

I figure if it's warm enough to have about 6" of exposed skin below the knickers, then how much insulation do I need above that? Not a huge amount, so my regular shorts + knee warmers seem to be fine. YMMV

CNY rider
09-13-2014, 06:32 AM
Louis maybe it's a climate thing.
Here in upstate NY my knickers see as much or more use than any other cycling kit I own. They get used every month outside of December-February and July.
Bibs or shorts with warmers just are not even close in terms of comfort.
It's in the mid 40's here now, damp. Guess what I will be wearing on my ride today?

CNY rider
09-13-2014, 06:34 AM
And back to the original question: I hate Assos prices but their knickers are outstanding.

oldpotatoe
09-13-2014, 06:35 AM
Matt, if it's that cold, I use tights, not knickers.

I figure if it's warm enough to have about 6" of exposed skin below the knickers, then how much insulation do I need above that? Not a huge amount, so my regular shorts + knee warmers seem to be fine. YMMV

If it's really cold, I use bib knickers and tights..if just 'cold', bib knickers. Want to keep these old knees as warm as possible.

Matt-H
09-13-2014, 10:02 AM
...my knickers see as much or more use than any other cycling kit I own.

Yup. And I much prefer them over a shorts/knee warmer combo.

teleguy57
09-13-2014, 10:27 AM
+10 on knicks vs shorts/knee warmers. Once the temps go below 60 no need to think about adjusting temps.

Anyone using the Castelli Nanoflex knicks? Thinking about a set of those (or something else you'd recommend) for the colder/wetter end of the knickers temp range.

FastforaSlowGuy
09-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Knickers for me, and thanks for the Giordana link. Need a new set. I'm not a huge fan of knee warmers.

rwsaunders
09-13-2014, 11:11 AM
I have both lighter and heavier weight bib knickers which I rotate depending on the weather conditions and I prefer them over knee warmers as well. Today was a good example where I pulled out the wool knickers which was fortunate, as I got caught out in a downpour for half of the 40 mile ride.

The knees stayed warm and my arse didn't mind the diaper effect thanks to the wool. On colder and drier days, the heavier weight piece of kit might get the nod. My experience with knee warmers has been that they require constant adjustment, although I used to like to use them in combination with some hot embro. Ymmv of course.

Louis
09-13-2014, 09:25 PM
To each his own.

Today at the start of my ride it was 64* and sunny, no significant wind. At the end the sun had nearly set and it was 56*. I wore my basic knee warmers (ie not wool), bib shorts, a sleeveless under-jersey thingy and a regular jersey. No problems at all.

Yes, I could have used a pair of my knickers, but that would just about double the number of bottoms I'd need to have, and being the frugal type, the more efficient solution of knee-warmers seems simpler.

Interestingly enough the first rider I saw was going the other way and had arm-warmers, but bare knees, while I had knee-warmers, but bare (and comfortable) arms...

pcxmbfj
09-14-2014, 05:48 AM
Everyone has a different comfort zone.

I like knickers myself and it seems they are just less available.

Bob Ross
09-14-2014, 03:23 PM
I have some knickers and use them every now and then, but unless your shorts/bibs are made of super-thin material (and therefore inappropriate for somewhat cool weather) it's just as easy and almost as good to use what you already have + some knee warmers. That way all you need are the knee warmers, not an entirely new piece. Plus, there's no need to wash the warmers after every ride. Mine go for ages, sometimes a whole season without being washed.

If manufacturers made bib knickers in a variety of weights, not just fuzzy warm Roubaix-type winter-weight, I would probably never own a single pair of knee warmers.

"Almost as good" doesn't cut it for me, especially when the "good" relates to comfort. I don't find knee warmers particularly comfortable; in fact, I find them pretty darn uncomfortable. The only thing more uncomfortable than the sticky-backed elastic that some manufacturers put on the inside of their shorts leg bottoms is the sticky-backed elastic that some manufacturers put on the inside of their knee warmer leg tops. A few miles of that crap rubbing against my mid-thigh puts me in a foul mood.

To the OP: As recently as last November (2013) Giordana was still making bib knickers, but I haven't looked since.

Louis
09-14-2014, 03:48 PM
The only thing more uncomfortable than the sticky-backed elastic that some manufacturers put on the inside of their shorts leg bottoms is the sticky-backed elastic that some manufacturers put on the inside of their knee warmer leg tops. A few miles of that crap rubbing against my mid-thigh puts me in a foul mood.

In that case, do what works for you.

I don't have problems with either type of elastic and don't feel either one - you might be a tad more sensitive:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-pQownBdDYRsUIFH1f3C2z8UZ9pFjC48qMR5wwuqtRjU1Ll91-IhhCzk1

Netdewt
09-14-2014, 04:35 PM
The Castelli Nanoflex stuff seems well regarded. I just haven't figured out a use for knickers. We have fall for about 3 days here.

93legendti
09-14-2014, 08:24 PM
Performance Bib Knickers are nice. Before I worked there I bought 3 for a crazy price of around $90 total..really nice doubled up with my heavier wool tights when it's 20 degrees or so.