PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Shifting, no one gets it!

Bruce
03-08-2006, 03:42 PM
No one gets electronic shifting yet! Maybe not even Shimano and Campy.

The WHOLE point of electronic shifting is MULTIPLE shift points! I want shift points on my speed bars, I want them on the top of the bars, I want them for my wife on the back of the tandem.

The other thing electronic shifting provides is an automatic transmission based on cadence, speed, heart rate, incline and program. Think about it, ever see someone grind up a hill in too high a gear? An automatic transmission could find the optimum gear. You just pedal as hard or fast as you can, it does the rest.

Electronics will never replace cable shifting, it works great now. Electronics with go where cables can't, multiple shift points and automatic transmissions. It is just a matter of time.

David Kirk
03-08-2006, 03:45 PM
No one gets electronic shifting yet! Maybe not even Shimano and Campy.

The WHOLE point of electronic shifting is MULTIPLE shift points! I want shift points on my speed bars, I want them on the top of the bars, I want them for my wife on the back of the tandem.

The other thing electronic shifting provides is an automatic transmission based on cadence, speed, heart rate, incline and program. Think about it, ever see someone grind up a hill in too high a gear? An automatic transmission could find the optimum gear. You just pedal as hard or fast as you can, it does the rest.

Electronics will never replace cable shifting, it works great now. Electronics with go where cables can't, multiple shift points and automatic transmissions. It is just a matter of time.

Werd to that.......... I can shift form the tops, the hoods and the drops without moving my hand at all.

Dave

Bruce
03-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Werd to that.......... I can shift form the tops, the hoods and the drops without moving my hand at all.

Dave
But you can't shift from very top of the bar, speed bars, aero bars, or from the back of a tandem (actually my wife already figured out how to get me to shift and my kidneys are not the better for it!)

I find the need to shift in the speed bars are the time. It's a pain and keeps me from being in them for long stretches. Aero bars are the same way. Tri guys just put the shifters there, but I don't use aeros for the entire ride, so I want to shift from the hoods as well, but cable shifting requires me to pick one.

David Kirk
03-08-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm using the Mavic Mektronic wireless and you can shift from anywhere you want to stick a shifter.

I don't use aero bars but if I did there would be a shifter there too.

The Mavic set up has "shifters" on the bar top, on the top of the brake lver and on the underside of the lever so you can shift from anywhere.

Dave

Onno
03-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Is that there will likely be far fewer moving parts. How many complaints have we heard on this forum about shifters that lose their crisp feel, that stop working or work poorly. Quick, light, effortless shifts are an ideal, and electronic shifting seems a likely way of getting to a system that can deliver this indefinitely (or until the batteries wear out). This has to be the central design reason, apart from the built-in desire to keep new product rolling out.

I'm with Mr. Kirk on this one, and I look forward to riding a bike with this system on it some day.

Onno

Lincoln
03-08-2006, 04:54 PM
The WHOLE point of electronic shifting is MULTIPLE shift points! I want shift points on my speed bars, I want them on the top of the bars,
Agreed, good point.
I want them for my wife on the back of the tandem.
You are kidding, right?

No thanks, I want to decide myself. I don't like automatics in cars (I get especially annoyed by the manumatics that let you "shift"--unless they think you need to be overridden) and I would like it even less on a bike where I am the engine!

slowgoing
03-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Is that there will likely be far fewer moving parts. How many complaints have we heard on this forum about shifters that lose their crisp feel, that stop working or work poorly. Quick, light, effortless shifts are an ideal, and electronic shifting seems a likely way of getting to a system that can deliver this indefinitely (or until the batteries wear out). This has to be the central design reason, apart from the built-in desire to keep new product rolling out.

I'm with Mr. Kirk on this one, and I look forward to riding a bike with this system on it some day.

Onno

Well, while fewer parts may mean greater reliability in general, it may also be compensated for by electrical failures. I don't have any of those now.

Louis
03-08-2006, 05:05 PM
How about a system with electrodes wired into your brain, so you just have to think about it and the bike will shift?

Now that would be cool!

(BTW, my road bikes have DT shifters)

Bruce
03-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Bruce
I want them for my wife on the back of the tandem.
You are kidding, right?

Not really. She knows when to shift more than I do. Brakes are a different issue, but the worst case in shifting is we are in too low a gear.

Lincoln
03-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Not really. She knows when to shift more than I do. Brakes are a different issue, but the worst case in shifting is we are in too low a gear.

I wasn't questioning her knowledge, just the advisability of having two people with access to the shifters :). I would be glad to let my wife shift, or to do it myself, just not both!

Frankwurst
03-08-2006, 06:02 PM
I'm looking forward to spring and getting a chance to ride my new build with DT non indexed shifters. They worked flawlessly for me in the 70's and for some strange reason I think they'll work that way now. :beer:

CarbonCycles
03-08-2006, 06:21 PM
An automatic transmission could find the optimum gear.

If you want to place any creedance on how automatic transmissions in cars behave, I'll have to pass on the e-tard shifters.

Dr. Doofus
03-08-2006, 07:28 PM
when they make that stuff wireless, with neural implants, then doof is all over that

think 19...its in the 19...of course, if you're like the doof and when you change cassettes you don't remember what the cogs are, it would be a mess....

classic1
03-08-2006, 07:34 PM
How about a system with electrodes wired into your brain, so you just have to think about it and the bike will shift?

Now that would be cool!

(BTW, my road bikes have DT shifters)

Call it 'Firefox'. Will you have to think your gearchanges in Russian?

Fixed
03-08-2006, 07:36 PM
bro the price of a group just went up a grand ... hey anybody got a battery and a tube oh and a co2 bro hey can i use your floor pump? ...
guys always ask if they can use my floor pump i say sure it's at home i rode here bro. cheers :beer:

Grant McLean
03-08-2006, 08:18 PM
...guys always ask if they can use my floor pump i say sure it's at home i rode here bro. cheers :beer:

post of the day!

-g