PDA

View Full Version : anyone else find that dt rims are soft?

vqdriver
09-12-2014, 11:26 AM
seems like the rr1.1 are made of some really soft aluminum. so much so that even a plastic tire iron can leave an impression??? is anyone else finding this to be true or am i imagining things?

gdw
09-12-2014, 12:00 PM
No firsthand experience but I've heard more than a few complaints about their mtb rims being soft and not up to regular trail use.

skijoring
09-12-2014, 12:03 PM
seems like the rr1.1 are made of some really soft aluminum. so much so that even a plastic tire iron can leave an impression??? is anyone else finding this to be true or am i imagining things?

I have found the opposite; they are a lot stiffer/more dent resistant than Mavic Open Pros, or anything from Velocity.

scooter
09-12-2014, 12:56 PM
I have found the opposite; they are a lot stiffer/more dent resistant than Mavic Open Pros, or anything from Velocity.

My experience echoes this to a tee. My DT RR 1.1 rims have been more dent resistant to the Mavic and the Velocity rims I have.

oldpotatoe
09-12-2014, 12:58 PM
My experience echoes this to a tee. My DT RR 1.1 rims have been more dent resistant to the Mavic and the Velocity rims I have.

Gotta say the same. Built many of the 3 mentioned brands and DT the first choice by far.

bshell
09-12-2014, 01:06 PM
I thought the DT stuff sucked for durability. I rebuilt w/ open pro ceramic and used them on my CX for @5 years now.

oldpotatoe
09-12-2014, 02:11 PM
I thought the DT stuff sucked for durability. I rebuilt w/ open pro ceramic and used them on my CX for @5 years now.

Where didja read that? DT, IME, the roundest, flattest I have ever built. OpenPro are ok but noisy eyelets and wedge put me off. Aussie Velocity really good, USA made, not so much.

bshell
09-12-2014, 04:25 PM
owned it

oldpotatoe
09-12-2014, 06:17 PM
owned it

What was unreliable about the ones you owned?
?

vqdriver
09-12-2014, 06:25 PM
hmmm. running my fingers along the rim, there's definitely a depression(s) on the rim, on the side closest to the hub, not towards the tires. i wonder if these are from a tire iron from when i tried to install some challenge tires. i recall that was a real bear. looking at my mtb wheelset with dt 4.2d rims, i can see a handful of dimples here and there, also on the sides closest to the rim. the tire beads seem fine and the braking surface on the rr1.1 feels fine as well.
all this is on the "dome" side of the rim where the spokes come out.