PDA

View Full Version : Advice on sunglasses for commuting

shekie777
09-12-2014, 10:45 AM
I have a pair of Oakley sunglasses with transition lenses that work well for mid-morning to late afternoon road rides, but not so much for early morning ( solar glare) and early evening (approaching dusk) commuting.

In the morning I head southeast for some of my commute on a bike path and there are times I'm literally blinded by the low sun, so it I think I need a darker lens to cut down on the glare. In the evening now that it's getting into mid-September, the Oakleys aren't sufficiently bright enough in shade on the bike path, so I think I need a lighter or clear lens for the trip home.

Any suggestions for an alternative sunglass (probably with multiple lenses) that will work better than the transition/photochromatic type? I would like to keep the purchase under $150 and would really like to spend closer to $100, but still want a quality set for my aging/failing vision.

Bradford
09-12-2014, 10:53 AM
I bring two pairs of glasses on my commute, one clear and one for sun. In the mornings I leave the house in the dark and switch to the dark if the sun comes out.

It takes me about 30 seconds to swap, which isn't a big deal on a 90 minute commute when I'm not riding with anybody. I would think switching lenses in the middle of a ride would take too long and put too much wear and tear on the frames.

I also use XX2i glasses on my commute. Great glasses, and full price they are only about $50. I wait until there sales (about 3 times a year) and pick them up for under $30.

berserk87
09-12-2014, 10:53 AM
I have had good luck with the Smith VO2 series. They have a VO2 Max version for larger mugs like mine. There is no "frame" around the lenses, so there are no obstructions around the lens when looking out.

They come with 3 lenses - one clear, one amber, and one darker/mirrored. I ride the amber lenses most often as they are versatile. It's easy to change lenses.

You can score a set of these in your price range if you look around. Some e-tailers have odd frame colors on clearance here and there.

josephr
09-12-2014, 10:54 AM
I really like my Tifosi....you can get nice sets with interchangeable lenses for the $50-%60 range too. Morning glare is a pain-in-booty - I'd recommend something with a mirrored coating.
Joe

Ken Robb
09-12-2014, 11:52 AM
You might try Cocoons or similar glasses. I wear progressive prescription lenses and I hated paying another $500+ for a pair of prescription sunglasses. While at the opticians to pick up my clear glasses I noticed a display of non-prescription sunglasses designed to be worn over one's prescription glasses. Unlike clip-ons these fit close to the face and wrap around to prevent light fron getting in the sides. Since they come in 4 sizes I know they could fit a person not wearing clear glasses under them. They look and fit a lot better than the plastic horrors that were introduced years ago. At $35 +/- they may be worth a try.