PDA

View Full Version : DA 10-speed chain & quick link questions.

keno
03-08-2006, 01:16 PM
1. I have a Wipperman 10SO chain on my DA 10-speed setup. It is described as a 6.05mm width. I've had no luck finding the replacement connex link online, although I know it exists as I ordered one through an LBS for an outrageous price. I saw the correct item in the thick catalog (is it United that is the main wholesaler of virtually all bike parts traffic?) in the LBS. What would be the drive train performance with a 6.1 connex link?

2. I want to try a connex link on my Shimano chain. How do I measure it in order to determine which link to get? (Shimano has more than one 10-speed DA chain width.)

keno

Dave
03-08-2006, 03:21 PM
With the chain broken apart, measure the width across the inner plates, right around the hole where the pin goes through. Measuring in the exposed area between the outer plates may give a different reading. Campy chains are actually a bit wider right at the ends, where the pin goes through.

I'd very much like to know how this measures, compared to Campy. A campy 10 measures .155 inch and the new ultra narrow measures .145 inch.

The standard connex link, for the campy 10 version, is exactly the same width as a campy 10 chain, too wide for the new ultra model.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=10+Speed+Shimano+Connex+Link&vendorCode=WIPPERMN&major=1&minor=11

keno
03-08-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't understand the measurement insofar as the chain widths I've seen refer to 6.0mm, more or less.

keno

FierteTi52
03-08-2006, 04:00 PM
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=10+Speed+Shimano+Connex+Link&vendorCode=WIPPERMN&major=1&minor=11

I wanted to buy this connex link you posted the link to, and the Excell salesman indicated it was for the Wipperman 10spd chain. He would not promise the link would work properly with a Shimano 7800 D/A chain. Can anyone let me know if it will work?
Jeff

gone
03-08-2006, 04:10 PM
I wanted to buy this connex link you posted the link to, and the Excell salesman indicated it was for the Wipperman 10spd chain. He would not promise the link would work properly with a Shimano 7800 D/A chain. Can anyone let me know if it will work?
Jeff
Yes, it will. I'm using it on two bikes and have about 1000 miles of flawless shifting on both.

Dave
03-08-2006, 04:11 PM
across the the pins, usually, is in the 6.0mm (.236 inch) range. That's not important, its the inside width where you want a nice fit around the inner plates.

ctric
05-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Follow up question: Anyone had experience running a Campy Ultra narrow chain (5.9mm) with a Connex Shimano link (6.1mm)?

Dave
05-02-2006, 08:57 AM
I've got an ultra narrow campy chain and the wipperman 10S connex link. This link is a lot narrower on the inside (where it counts) than the campy version, but it's only about .007 inch narrower, whereas the chain is .010 inch narrower, so the fit isn't quite as tight, but it should work just fine.