PDA

View Full Version : OT: iPhone 6 and 6+

Pages : [1] 2

p nut
09-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Wow, can't believe there isn't a thread on this already. Any of you getting the new iPhone? My current phone is tired and will be upgrading. Not sure if I'm going to get the 6 or 6+. 6 is smaller and still big enough, but the battery life on the 6+ is so much better. I'll have to think of ways to carry it on the bike. May need a framepack. :p

http://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/09/09/5f18fb33-c54e-49ad-b077-06b75c21ea0e/resize/770x578/d954136137bcc25e343b2c93b5011c05/apple-iphone-6-plus-4.jpg

ceolwulf
09-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Ordered my 6 yesterday. Don't think any of my jersey pockets would fit a 6+ ;) Am still on a 4S so it was high time.

Nags&Ducs
09-11-2014, 12:49 PM
I am definitely getting one soon. Likely by November. Was always thinking I'd get the 6+ but after seeing how huge that is, i may have to reconsider. Will the 6+ fit in the front pocket of jeans? That will be the deciding factor for me.

Netdewt
No thanks. I'm sticking with 5, or going to a dumb phone. Way too big. Ridiculous.

Mike Lopez
...when transistor radios morphed into ghetto blasters... ;)

p nut
09-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Ordered my 6 yesterday. Don't think any of my jersey pockets would fit a 6+ ;) Am still on a 4S so it was high time.

How did you order it already? It says on their site pre-order starts 9/12?

Netdewt
09-11-2014, 12:52 PM
https://forums.oneplus.net/attachments/big-cell-phone-jpg.89245/

oldpotatoe
09-11-2014, 12:55 PM
No thanks. I'm sticking with 5, or going to a dumb phone. Way too big. Ridiculous.

iPhone 5 for me just fine thanks, capability and size wise. No urge for latest iPad either.

p nut
09-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Netdewt - My main complaint about the 5 is the anemic battery life. I get half a day (this was from the first month of ownership. Replaced twice with same results). Could be resolved with an external battery pack, but....

Another thought--even if you're not liking the new phone, you should get one anyway (unless you plan on dropping the service within the next 2 years). Your monthly payment includes a subsidy for a new phone (I'm not talking about the financing thing they've got going now with all smart phones). If you keep your old phone and keep paying the monthly service fee, you're giving money away. Buy a new phone, sell it for $5-600, then continue to use your old phone.

Netdewt
09-11-2014, 01:00 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QXXxaCgyFWQ/T-Bl2OpLGNI/AAAAAAAAG8E/IaSH-hWfZUg/s1600/zack%2Bmorris%2Bcell%2Bphone%2Bhuge%2Bbig.jpg

sitzmark
09-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Definitely no 6+.

Might do the 6 after having a chance to wrap my hand around it. The 5 is already awkward to operate some icons/functions one-handed. No desire to have a phablet. Having been at this portable phone/data/media thing for 25 years, we're now moving back into the era of pain-in-the-ass-sized devices. Been there and done that, starting with Microtac and iPaq tethered together in the 90's. Making phones more cumbersome is not my idea of progress.

p nut
09-11-2014, 01:02 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QXXxaCgyFWQ/T-Bl2OpLGNI/AAAAAAAAG8E/IaSH-hWfZUg/s1600/zack%2Bmorris%2Bcell%2Bphone%2Bhuge%2Bbig.jpg

Ok, we get it. You can keep your mer-man sized phones. :banana:

http://static.squarespace.com/static/5031788c24ac2660dcea339c/t/52fd62b7e4b095b64096eb01/1392337591686/110606-zoolander-cell-phone.jpg?format=750w

Netdewt
09-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Netdewt - My main complaint about the 5 is the anemic battery life. I get half a day (this was from the first month of ownership. Replaced twice with same results). Could be resolved with an external battery pack, but....

I'd wait to see what people say about the new battery, I don't have a whole lot of faith with such a huge screen. I always get a full day on my 5 unless I ride with Strava on for more than 3 hours (which rarely happens for me).

When I am due for an upgrade in Feb, it'll probably be to a 5S.

Also, I find this relevant.

http://ismashphone.typepad.com/.a/6a00e55225079e88340120a613bbd3970b-pi

p nut
09-11-2014, 01:07 PM
I'd wait to see what people say about the new battery, I don't have a whole lot of faith with such a huge screen..

My iPad with a 10" screen gets at least 10 hours of straight use. I charge it maybe once or twice a week? Bigger phone size means bigger battery size, which could mean better battery life despite the bigger screen.

But I'm with you--my 5 was supposed to have been better than my 4, and that wasn't the case (for me). Unfortunately, I'm going to be the guinea pig for everyone else waiting to get one.

tuxbailey
09-11-2014, 01:10 PM
My renewal date is late October and I will be getting the 6. 6+ is just too big. Currently on 5. The fingerprint scanner is a must have for me.

My renewal cycle go with new generation as I usually get the old one unlocked and sell for more than I paid for with the contract price.

The Android phone might have more features but they usually can't hold the resell value as well.

ceolwulf
09-11-2014, 01:11 PM
How did you order it already? It says on their site pre-order starts 9/12?

Just reserved one at my local Rogers shop.

jmoore
09-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Motorola X is the answer

biker72
09-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Got rid of my iPhone for a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Netdewt
09-11-2014, 01:20 PM
So much for thoughtful design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4c2mh15Yk

I'll stop now.

FlashUNC
09-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Motorola X is the answer

Couldn't be happier with mine, and crushed they decided to change the form factor with the new phone. The first gen's size is perfect in my view.

MadRocketSci
09-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Ok, we get it. You can keep your mer-man sized phones. :banana:

Yeah if Hansel and Steve Jobs didn't think big phones were cool, then I don't either...<looks down at my 4.7" galaxy nexus>....oh snap, nevermind.

tuxbailey
09-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Yeah if Hansel and Steve Jobs didn't think big phones were cool, then I don't either...<looks down at my 4.7" galaxy nexus>....oh snap, nevermind.

Is 4.7" the happy medium? 5.5 is so big that it is not much smaller than the 7" Google Tablet....

MattTuck
09-11-2014, 01:47 PM

Another thought--even if you're not liking the new phone, you should get one anyway (unless you plan on dropping the service within the next 2 years). Your monthly payment includes a subsidy for a new phone (I'm not talking about the financing thing they've got going now with all smart phones). If you keep your old phone and keep paying the monthly service fee, you're giving money away. Buy a new phone, sell it for $5-600, then continue to use your old phone.

My iPad with a 10" screen gets at least 10 hours of straight use. I charge it maybe once or twice a week? Bigger phone size means bigger battery size, which could mean better battery life despite the bigger screen.

But I'm with you--my 5 was supposed to have been better than my 4, and that wasn't the case (for me). Unfortunately, I'm going to be the guinea pig for everyone else waiting to get one.

Slate piece on the battery life issue. (http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/09/09/apple_battery_benchmarks_are_always_misleading.htm l) I've never had a mac product, except for a 2nd or 3rd generation iPod. I honestly don't see what the hype is about. They've done an incredibly good job marketing and creating appealing products, but I really don't see anything in this new phone that makes me say, "wow, Apple is so far ahead of everyone else." if anything, it is just the opposite. An admission that they were wrong on screen size. If they feel like they had been right, they'd include a version of the 6 in the original form factor.

Rueda Tropical
09-11-2014, 01:49 PM
So much for thoughtful design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4c2mh15Yk

I'll stop now.

People have different size hands. 5 is about the comfortable limit for my wife. To small for my hand.

I also need a bigger screen if Im using a smartphone for any of the smart stuff. My eyes ain't what they used to be. So 6+ for me. Its the digital equivalent of this:

Don49
09-11-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm still using a flip-phone, but the family had an intervention so now I'm somewhat reluctantly shopping for an iPhone, probably get the 6 (not plus).

My iPod Touch (2nd gen) and Garmin Nuvi (old) but need replacing so I figure the iPhone 6 can replace both for about the same price.

I just hope someone will shoot me in the head if I start stumbling around with a smartphone held to my face.

bcroslin
09-11-2014, 01:50 PM
6+ was to shut up the android fan boys and to make Wall Street happy. I think if Jobs were still alive there would be no 6+.

ceolwulf
09-11-2014, 01:55 PM
6+ was to shut up the android fan boys

Never happen!

Likes2ridefar
09-11-2014, 01:57 PM
6+ was to shut up the android fan boys and to make Wall Street happy. I think if Jobs were still alive there would be no 6+.

and for the millions of customers they've lost since they prefer a larger screen.

Netdewt
09-11-2014, 01:58 PM
People have different size hands. 5 is about the comfortable limit for my wife. To small for my hand.

I also need a bigger screen if Im using a smartphone for any of the smart stuff. My eyes ain't what they used to be. So 6+ for me. Its the digital equivalent of this:

Fine, then they need the 6 to be normal sized and the 6+ can be huge. I'm just mad they are forcing the "faithful" to go big. Honestly, I'd keep the iPhone 4 size if I could, with newer internals.

I HATE this trend. I want my phone to be usable as a PHONE, and be very portable and pocketable. I know I am indeed a retrogrouch, but I use Apple stuff and I work with computers. Does this make sense? NO. But I am pissed. I am holding back swear words. Same feelings as the new Campy cranks, really.

thirdgenbird
09-11-2014, 01:59 PM

iPhone 5 for me just fine thanks, capability and size wise. No urge for latest iPad either.

A waterproof NFC capable 5s would be ideal.

I have HUGE hands. I can easily palm my full size ipad, but I still want a small phone.

Netdewt
09-11-2014, 02:04 PM
and for the millions of customers they've lost since they prefer a larger screen.

They'll lose more to this, if I am any indication. Apple users such as myself like usability and thoughtful design, not snazz.

Likes2ridefar
09-11-2014, 02:12 PM
They'll loose more to this, if I am any indication. Apple users such as myself like usability and thoughtful design, not snazz.

You aren't. At least I don't think so. Why else would every other brand's flagship phone be basically the same size as what Apple just put out? Would they be making them this size if they weren't in high demand?

Netdewt
09-11-2014, 02:14 PM
I guess people may feel like the don't have a choice.

I'll just do like I did with Facebook, and quit.

CaliFly
09-11-2014, 02:16 PM

Here's the thing...it still won't compete with the Android offerings nor make Wall Street happy. I agree with the fact that Steve-o would never release this.

This is one of those instances where Apple "caved".

Rueda Tropical
09-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Fine, then they need the 6 to be normal sized and the 6+ can be huge. I'm just mad they are forcing the "faithful" to go big. Honestly, I'd keep the iPhone 4 size if I could, with newer internals.

I HATE this trend. I want my phone to be usable as a PHONE, and be very portable and pocketable. I know I am indeed a retrogrouch, but I use Apple stuff and I work with computers. Does this make sense? NO. But I am pissed. I am holding back swear words. Same feelings as the new Campy cranks, really.

I would be surprised if they dont have one model the size of the 5 going forward. For a lot of users that is a perfect size. Probably would have more users then the 6+.

One size does not fit all. I'm think 3 sizes would not be unreasonable.

93legendti
09-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Apple was losing market share to companies who put out 4.7-5" phones. Samsung keeps gaining market share and puts out bigger and bigger phones.

A 5" screen (or bigger) solves all my needs, whether it be a dashboard mounted gps, hands free phone, or device suitable for searching the web and answering upteen emails.

No phone is for everyone, that's how/why there are so many phone companies.

Gazelle has oodles of 4s and 5s's. For those who like 4" phones, they will be able to buy them cheap from reputable sellers. For those who like Apple and need a bigger screen, here it is. So, win win.

brockd15
09-11-2014, 02:28 PM
I'm not an iPhone user, but I went from a Galaxy S2 (4.3") to a Note 3 (5.7") on my last upgrade. I waffled for a while thinking the Note might be too big, but it's not. It took about 30 seconds to get used to, then most other phones (and especially the iPhone) felt too small. It fits in pockets just fine (jeans, shorts, jerseys, jackets, etc.).

And it depends on what you do with it. If you use it like a traditional phone and not so much for data, then maybe the bigger size would matter (I don't think so though). I use mine for internet access at least as much as a phone, probably more, and when using it as a phone it's normally in the car with a headset. If I'm not using a headset, still no issues.

My wife is 5'2" with small hands and also has the Note 3. We're sold on the bigger size and don't have any plans to downsize.

sitzmark
09-11-2014, 02:44 PM
One size does not fit all. I'm think 3 sizes would not be unreasonable.

Four is my approach. iPhone for 24/7 easy to pocket phone/data/media review functionality. iPad mini for when I'm willing to temporarily carry something bigger with more ability to generate data - usually when I have my briefcase or folio with me anyway. A super slim MacBook Air 11 for when I actually need to work on the road, and a Mac Mini Server to run household media and computing tasks.

Phablets aren't big enough to justify carrying the added bulk and are too big at the same time. (IMO)

I had a 3 platform approach when I was windows-based: windows mobile (CE) phone, super slim Sony Vaio laptop, and desktop server. What Apple did was make it easy to keep apps and data synced across all platforms, which was a challenge with MS until recently. Android doesn't do desktop (with a few exceptions).

Bradford
09-11-2014, 02:52 PM
I'll be getting a 6 as soon as I can. I've had the iphone 4 for 3 1/5 years, so one way or another I need some more power.

I am looking forward to the bigger screen because I'm getting too old for the small print. I don't need the plus because I have an ipad mini for those applications.

I'm just glad the price didn't go to high on these.

tuxbailey
09-11-2014, 03:01 PM
For many, the smart phone is much more than voice usage. I use waze for commute to avoid traffic. Also good for browsing forums like this one via Tapatalk and just reading news, etc.

A little bigger is welcome, hence 4.7" is good for me. As I mentioned in previous post, I request carrier unlock and then sell it for more than I pay for 2 years ago so essentially a free upgrade every 2 years.

rzthomas
09-11-2014, 04:18 PM
I'm into the 6+. I use my phone more as a minicomputer than as a phone anyway. I do make calls, but generally use headphones for calling instead of holding the handset to my head.

My concern is that the 6+ won't fit in my pants or jersey pocket. I suppose I'll just have to check it out in person.

Tony T
09-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Too bad Steve Jobs is no longer with us.
He would have never allowed the 6+ to see the light of day.
He would have thought of a better solution (i.e. flexible screens to that the phone could be folded like a flip phone).

Remember low cost netbooks? Steve never produced one because he felt they were inferior. His solution was the MacBook Air:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--acBWMmAC--/18mna149dczmojpg.jpg

Apple is a great company that produces excellent products, however, they are no longer a leader, both the 6 and 6+, as well as the WATCH are being produced in order to follow the competition.

thirdgenbird
09-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Four is my approach. iPhone for 24/7 easy to pocket phone/data/media review functionality. iPad mini for when I'm willing to temporarily carry something bigger with more ability to generate data - usually when I have my briefcase or folio with me anyway. A super slim MacBook Air 11 for when I actually need to work on the road, and a Mac Mini Server to run household media and computing tasks.

Phablets aren't big enough to justify carrying the added bulk and are too big at the same time. (IMO)

I had a 3 platform approach when I was windows-based: windows mobile (CE) phone, super slim Sony Vaio laptop, and desktop server. What Apple did was make it easy to keep apps and data synced across all platforms, which was a challenge with MS until recently. Android doesn't do desktop (with a few exceptions).

I'm on three.

5s for 24/7 access and review.
Full size ipad for email, true data consumption, email, and web surfing
Old laptop for home server

I guess I'm four. I've got a work issued dell laptop for professional use.

Nags&Ducs
09-11-2014, 04:53 PM
You aren't. At least I don't think so. Why else would every other brand's flagship phone be basically the same size as what Apple just put out? Would they be making them this size if they weren't in high demand?

I agree with L2RF.

They'll lose more to this, if I am any indication. Apple users such as myself like usability and thoughtful design, not snazz.

Plus, Apple gave you more options, not less. You don't want the big screen, cool! You have the option of the 6, or even the 5S while supplies last.

slidey
09-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Thinking aloud, doesn't the 6+ come awfully close to cannibalising the iPad market? The iWatch seems like it will serve as a hook to the low-price market, now that the iPod touch is obsolete.

And yeah, I'm not taken by the 6+...maybe the 6 at some point.

sevencyclist
09-11-2014, 05:23 PM
I am waiting to touch the iphone 6 and iphone 6+ before deciding what works best for me. I am glad the 5s will still be available. Choices is king. Everyone can select what works for them. I don't feel the need to bash any particular brand or size to feel great about my choice of phone. Same goes for bikes for that matter.

I need my phone to fit in the back pocket of jeans for play and front pocket of khakis for work. Need the phone connection to work well, and good email and text interface. I will waterproof the phone with LifeProof case to make it cycling, drop, sweat compatible.

Since I had the smartphone, the need for watch had disappeared, and I have no reason to wear the nice watch that my wife gave me for engagement except as token of remembrance.

Cornfed
09-11-2014, 05:51 PM
I was set on the 6 until I tried both using this template:

http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/download/iphone-6-and-6-plus-scale-cutout.pdf

Make sure your printer doesn't scale to fit and print on card stock and you'll get a pretty good idea of what works for you.

The eyes aren't getting any stronger, so bigger is better for me.

jimoots
09-11-2014, 06:34 PM
A few comments.

Firstly to those decrying the super-sizing of phones, and complaining that it's back to the future. Consider what phones did in 1995. They made phonecalls. In 2003, Motorola Razr... phonecalls, text messages and a teeny, tiny bit of WAP.

Since the days of teeny tiny flip phones, smartphones have become a productivity device. Something much more than making calls or sending messages with. The size is a requirement of the usage case, and to some extent battery requirements.

If you don't see the point in having a bigger phone then you probably should go grab a $50 burner and be done with it. You're wasting your money with a smartphone.

Second point.

To those who are saying that the 4.7 / 5.5 iPhone 6 is a backflip, or Apple caving, or being late to the party, or whatever... you're totally not looking at the product lifecycle for iPhones.

The iPhone chassis lifecycle is 24 months, with a refresh 12 months in.

2 years ago, 4.7 inch phones were essentially what 5.5 inch phablets are now. Tools that weirdo kook dudes use.

The masses are not going to take up the iPhone 6+ with haste. But there's a niche in there and I guess Apple want that weirdo kook power-user market.

Thirdly.

For years now, people have pointed the finger at Apple for bringing nothing new to the table, for taking what others have brought to market and adding their own little twist or flair.

How is that new? iPod, iPhone, iPad... none were 'new' ideas. But they were a whole lot better than anything else on the market at the time, because the user experience was so frickin' polished.

Samsung et al are getting better at the user experience, but still a long way behind Apple.

Apple will continue to lose people who want to be on the bleeding edge of innovation, but for those who are happy to wait a minute and get something that is really nice to use, Apple have a lot to offer.

Fourthly.

This is more of just a comment, but I am up for an upgrade at the minute and will be pre-ordering an iPhone 6. I'm a bit nervous about the increase in size but am happy to take a leap of faith... if I don't like it I'll sell it and buy a 5S, pocket the savings.

I do think there is a market for a third (foldable?) size, with the screen real estate of a 5S. I think battery tech at the minute would be the biggest hinderance to really getting the size down far enough to make a foldable make sense.

93legendti
09-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Apple just sent me this email:

"Your iCloud storage has been upgraded to 20 GB.

We recently announced new, more affordable iCloud storage plans. As a thank you for being a current iCloud storage plan subscriber, we’ve increased your storage plan and you will be receiving a refund based on the reduced plan price.
Your plan has been upgraded from 15 GB of total storage at $20.00 a year to 20 GB at just $10.99 a year. You will receive a prorated refund of $7.90, which is based on the price reduction and the remaining months on your subscription..."

Nice.

jimoots
09-11-2014, 07:27 PM
^^^ Yeah mine went from like $42 a year to $15. Not bad!

shovelhd
09-11-2014, 07:52 PM
I will preorder a 6 tomorrow through my carrier. I have no use for the 6+. My 5 does what I need except that slo-mo is a game changer as a race official. I worked with another official who had a 5S and it does an amazing job. I want that technology in my pocket on race day when I'm working.

93legendti
09-11-2014, 07:58 PM
^^^ Yeah mine went from like $42 a year to $15. Not bad!

Wow.

My wife and daughter have 5s's and want the 6. I've had all 3 Samsung Notes, so if I go back to Apple, I'd get the 6+. My Note 2 and 3 fit just fine in my jersey pockets.

sitzmark
09-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Firstly to those decrying the super-sizing of phones, and complaining that it's back to the future. Consider what phones did in 1995. They made phonecalls. In 2003, Motorola Razr... phonecalls, text messages and a teeny, tiny bit of WAP.

In '95 a CDMA flip-phone or candy bar with a serial cable connected to an iPaq PDA provided the same web access that exists today - just less bandwidth. Data access counted as radio minutes used rather than bytes transferred. By 2003 I was using the Samsung SPH-i700, which was about the size of phablets today (but thicker). Know from experience what it's like to carry a device this size 24/7 and don't want to go there again. http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608030669176179760&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

If you don't see the point in having a bigger phone then you probably should go grab a $50 burner and be done with it. You're wasting your money with a smartphone.
Disagree. My data usage averages 3-5GB/month with a iP5 and I'm quite happy with the form factor for that usage. Really just looking for more power, features like NFC and inductive charging. Both of which are a challenge with limited real estate.

To those who are saying that the 4.7 / 5.5 iPhone 6 is a backflip, or Apple caving, or being late to the party, or whatever... you're totally not looking at the product lifecycle for iPhones.

The iPhone chassis lifecycle is 24 months, with a refresh 12 months in.

As someone else noted ... it's time for a technology intervention. The answer to more content in the days of Walkman was not a dual slot cassette device or Walkman CD multi-changer. The iPod solved the issue. A expanded virtual display (ala heads-up), wearable displays, or some other visual technology is the next step forward ... not bigger physical displays.

Tony T
09-11-2014, 09:06 PM
As someone else noted ... it's time for a technology intervention. The answer to more content in the days of Walkman was not a dual slot cassette device or Walkman CD multi-changer. The iPod solved the issue. A expanded virtual display (ala heads-up), wearable displays, or some other visual technology is the next step forward ... not bigger physical displays.

Bigger Devices are being produced because "that's what the customer wants"
And Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."

There will be 'something new' someday, something that we didn't know we wanted (but it won't be a bigger phone).

kophinos
09-11-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm pre-ordering the 6. Anyone want to buy a 64gb iP5? :cool:

jimoots
09-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Bigger Devices are being produced because "that's what the customer wants"
And Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."

There will be 'something new' someday, something that we didn't know we wanted (but it won't be a bigger phone).

I feel like the phone mfg's think smart watches are the thing that we didn't know we wanted/

93legendti
09-11-2014, 10:09 PM
There are plenty of small, basic smart phones being produced with 3-3.5" screens. Radio Shack sells them, as do Target and Best Buy and they are no contract phones. No one is forced to buy a phone they don't like. Heck, the 4" Samsung Rugby Pro is a great phone for the money-water proof and shock proof. Att still carries them.

I like a bigger phone and in Israel I carry 2 phones, one for usa calls and one for local calls. Works for me.

Don't like a bigger iPhone? Don't buy it.

csm
09-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Probably going from HTC to the 6. I think the 6+ is too big.
Rumor has it the next gen iPad will be bigger so perhaps that it's response to the 6+ possibly cannibalizing sales?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ti Designs
09-11-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm still using a flip-phone, but the family had an intervention so now I'm somewhat reluctantly shopping for an iPhone.

The way most people use their mobile devices fits the definition of addiction, I think the intervention went the wrong way...

Tony T
09-11-2014, 10:40 PM
I feel like the phone mfg's think smart watches are the thing that we didn't know we wanted/

The WATCH is too small, needs to be more like this:

http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/09/10/10c3d03b-d15f-4149-a869-1cba5220bfbc/thumbnail/670x503/614e7901d746961f5cc462dd57d49114/apple-wristpad-colbert.png

kophinos
09-12-2014, 02:33 AM
I just bought my 6 through ATT, because the apple site is still down (for me) as of now...

jpw
09-12-2014, 03:37 AM
I like a bigger phone and in Israel I carry 2 phones, one for usa calls and one for local calls. Works for me.

ever thought about getting a dual sim handset?

holliscx
09-12-2014, 04:27 AM
Many people are missing the point of the 6 Plus which is not to be a phone per se but rather a mini tablet. Those wishing to purchase a more traditional smartphone can buy the 6. Also I wouldn't bet against an iPhone Mini one day. Slightly OT but form/function to price the gold standard of Apple products for me personally is the iPod Shuffle which doesn't even compete against full-size iPods.

Llewellyn
09-12-2014, 05:13 AM
I'm sticking with my 5 year old Nokia mobile that makes and receives phone calls and texts. And when that finally dies I'll probably get something similar. And to paraphrase Glen Frey (or was it Don Henley?), it'll be a cold day in hell before I ever buy anything from Apple.

Frankly, I don't understand why people think they need to be connected to the internet every waking minute of the day.

holliscx
09-12-2014, 05:33 AM
Frankly, I don't understand why people think they need to be connected to the internet every waking minute of the day.

Food for thought I bet your grandparents couldn't fathom why anyone would ever need to carry a phone in his pocket.

jpw
09-12-2014, 05:41 AM
I'm sticking with my 5 year old Nokia mobile that makes and receives phone calls and texts. And when that finally dies I'll probably get something similar. And to paraphrase Glen Frey (or was it Don Henley?), it'll be a cold day in hell before I ever buy anything from Apple.

'mobile' is the next stage of personal computing. the desktop was a passing phase. it sounds as though your Nokia is not a computer. apples and oranges.

bcgav
09-12-2014, 05:41 AM
I just preordered an iPhone 6 64GB Space Grey through ATT. My wife and I alternate upgrade eligibility each year. I'll use the 6 and she'll get my one year old 5S to replace her 4S, her battery life is seriously degraded. Already locked in a price to sell it to Gazelle.

Tony T
09-12-2014, 06:03 AM
Slightly OT but form/function to price the gold standard of Apple products for me personally is the iPod Shuffle which doesn't even compete against full-size iPods.

There's always rumors that the shuffle and mac-mini will be discontinued.
(at the last rumor, I bought an extra shuffle :))

Tony T
09-12-2014, 06:06 AM
Food for thought I bet your grandparents couldn't fathom why anyone would ever need to carry a phone in his pocket.

Totally untrue. It was something of SciFi and the comics (Dick Tracy… ask your grandparents who that is), but communication was always a need, which is why there used to be phone booths on every corner (again, ask your grandparents what that was :))

What's unusual here (to me) is that the phones/tablets are getting larger, not smaller.
I have a MacBook Air 11", and can't see why anyone would want the larger 13"
I like the iPad mini (don't have one), but don't see the need for the larger iPad.

I don't see the need for a larger screen iPhone, unless it's being used for Excel and Word.
For those getting the 6+, could you post what Apps you use that will make better use of the larger screen?

holliscx
09-12-2014, 06:17 AM
It's not like there are more, or better Apps on the iPhone 6+

Untrue. Many apps on 6 Plus will run a landscape mode like iPads which can display additional content.

93legendti
09-12-2014, 06:18 AM
ever thought about getting a dual sim handset?
I looked at them, but the specs aren't as good and I like a backup phone...from experience...:crap:

p nut
09-12-2014, 06:36 AM
Ordered the 6+ 64gb. Hopefully the size will work out.

Rueda Tropical
09-12-2014, 06:51 AM
What's unusual here (to me) is that the phones/tablets are getting larger, not smaller.
I like the iPad mini (don't have one), but don't see the need for the larger iPad.

I don't see the need for a larger screen iPhone, unless it's being used for Excel and Word.
For those getting the 6+, could you post what Apps you use that will make better use of the larger screen?

When the function of your phone changes to your main network and computing device the design brief is no longer for a phone. Its for everything you connect to the cloud to do. The name phone is really an anachronism from its ancient function. Most of my voice communication is through SKYPE, Google Hang Outs and other internet audio/video com apps rather then the phone network.

Screen size and whether you need a phone, tablet or laptop or some combination of the above depends on what you need to do with it. If you are a content creator rather then a consumer 13" is the smallest screen size I'd want to use for real work.

I'll take the biggest screen and the most computing power I can get so I can have just a "phone" as my touchpoint to the cloud and my work teams rather then having to lug a laptop everywhere.

rzthomas
09-12-2014, 07:15 AM
To add on the previous comment: mobile computing is the future of commerce. For many people, a smartphone is the only way they do their banking and online shopping. I have a MBP, iMac, and an iPhone 5 and I find myself using the phone more for many of my general fiscal checkups (looking at balances, transferring funds, etc.) It's easier.

Going back to the old phrase "the best camera is the one you have with you," which could be updated to be "the best computer is the one you have in your pocket."

thirdgenbird
09-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Outside of work, I've used a laptop/desktop twice on over two years. I do everything via phone/tablet.

93legendti
09-12-2014, 07:36 AM
Yup. I can take a pic of my biz check and deposit the $ in our personal acct. Takes 1-2 minutes instead of 35-40 minutes to drive to the bank. I can even deposit checks while overseas.

Saves gas. Consider it green...;)

If you use a smartphone for calls only, get a flip. Mine is a GPS (works better than my tom tom ever did) iPod, camera, personal banker, 24/7 stay in contact with tenants, video cam, contact with soldiers in the field, portable scanner, portable calendar with alerts, voice recorder, memo pad, resource for research, resource for board games, etc.

If you don't understand, get a flip.

Likes2ridefar
09-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Totally untrue. It was something of SciFi and the comics (Dick Tracy… ask your grandparents who that is), but communication was always a need, which is why there used to be phone booths on every corner (again, ask your grandparents what that was :))

regarding better use...Everything? just like watching a movie on a 60" tv is more enjoyable than a 30" tv if you are 8' away. IMO it's similar on a phone.

I had the 11" and found it rather annoying for anything but basic web browsing. But I need to have multiple windows open and it's inefficient to shuffle back and forth all the time. When home I plug my 13" macbook pro into a 27" screen and it's sooooo much nicer to use.

i find it easier to type on the larger phone...i have a s5 samsung. i got it for using waze/gps for my commute and other than that just use it for text and email. i make a phone call about once a month, if that.

93legendti
09-12-2014, 07:47 AM

Email, maps, Waze if my wife insists, ap memo lite, web banking, md scan lite, Dropbox, Polaris office, hp all in one remote, amortization, skype, google voice, chrome, messaging, whatsapp, calendar....

oldpotatoe
09-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Yup. I can take a pic of my biz check and deposit the $ in our personal acct. Takes 1-2 minutes instead of 35-40 minutes to drive to the bank. I can even deposit checks while overseas.

If you use a smartphone for calls only, get a flip. Mine is a GPS (works better than my tom tom ever did) iPod, camera, personal banker, 24/7 stay in contact with tenants, video cam, contact with soldiers in the field, portable scanner, portable calendar with alerts, voice recorder, memo pad, resource for research, resource for board games, etc.

Don't understand that...what do you do?

93legendti
09-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Was in my car trying to set up an appointment. Clerk at the city didn't have the paper work. I told her "one second, I will pull over and scan and email you my paid receipt."
One minute later, back on the road.

Heck, at home scanning and emailing with my phone is cheaper, faster and more conducive to record keeping than faxing. Try that with a small flip phone. YMMV.

Tony T
09-12-2014, 10:45 AM
If by scan, you mean took a picture, that's been done with fill-phones since they started coming with cameras.

rzthomas
09-12-2014, 10:59 AM
If by scan, you mean took a picture, that's been done with fill-phones since they started coming with cameras.

I don't think that's what he means. OCR technology has improved so much that you can take a photo of something with a phone and have it converted to text either phone or server-side. That's scanning ––·not picture taking.

Tony T
09-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Sure, but if all he needed to do was send a clerk a proof of a paid receipt, emailing a picture does it.

Re: OCR, I do it with my scanner, but didn't realize that there was an iPhone App that allowed doing this w/o a scanner — cool App, do you have any recommendations?

Edit: Found a few in the App store, looks good.

p nut
09-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Email, maps, Waze if my wife insists, ap memo lite, web banking, md scan lite, Dropbox, Polaris office, hp all in one remote, amortization, skype, google voice, chrome, messaging, whatsapp, calendar....

Yeah, I was going to say, virtually every app. Like when I got the iPad a few years ago, I didn't think essentially an overgrown iPhone/iPod was going to be a big deal. But found it made all the apps that much more enjoyable. My kids watch videos on my 5 occasionally, so it'll be much nicer on a bigger screen.

I just hope the 6+'s battery life lasts at least all day.

Elefantino
09-12-2014, 12:48 PM
NFC is a big plus with the new models, but as long as my 5S is compatible with the Watch (I'm soooo glad I didn't buy that Garmin!) then I'm good until the rumored 7 or 8 in all glass comes out.

Likes2ridefar
09-12-2014, 12:54 PM
NFC is a big plus with the new models, but as long as my 5S is compatible with the Watch (I'm soooo glad I didn't buy that Garmin!) then I'm good until the rumored 7 or 8 in all glass comes out.

my phone has NFC...the one before it did too.

anyways, that is not the point. I go out every day in Manhattan (noted since it's like...a big city and should have tech before most) for lunch and various shopping and I've yet to see an opportunity to use it. Am I missing something?

thirdgenbird
09-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Yah, I am excited for NFC but I don't feel rushed to buy it till I can leave my wallet at home.

mike p
09-12-2014, 01:01 PM
I can understand most of that, I just don't want anything larger than my current iPhone 5. Is it wrong to want new iphone tech that'll actually fit in my pocket? Your tude seems to be if you dont like the new larger size your a caveman, go get yourself an old flip phone preferably with large push buttons that you can understand.
I've already got an iPad which is usually in my backpack when I need something larger.

Mike

Likes2ridefar
09-12-2014, 01:06 PM
I can understand most of that, I just don't want anything larger than my current iPhone 5. Is it wrong to want new iphone tech that'll actually fit in my pocket? Your tude seems to be if you dont like the new larger size your a caveman, go get yourself an old flip phone preferably with large push buttons that you can understand.
I've already got an iPad which is usually in my backpack when I need something larger.

Mike

Ive yet to find a pocket my galaxy s5 does not fit in and that even includes skinny jeans which i'm currently too fat to fit in. and before that i had an s4 which is very similar size...thats when i could fit in the skinny jeans...ah, the days when i was a racer!

mike p
09-12-2014, 01:26 PM
I've seen but never owned an s5, so I can't say I have actual experience, but I'm pretty damn sure an s5 wouldn't fit into my Levi's and allow me to function :-)

Mike

Ive yet to find a pocket my galaxy s5 does not fit in and that even includes skinny jeans which i'm currently too fat to fit in. and before that i had an s4 which is very similar size...thats when i could fit in the skinny jeans...ah, the days when i was a racer!

bluesea
09-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Hoping they update the 5s at the the same level as the 6.

thirdgenbird
09-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Hoping they update the 5s at the the same level as the 6.

Me too. As a said, I want something in the same form factor as my 5s with NFC and water resistance.

shovelhd
09-12-2014, 01:45 PM
The My Sprint site was up and down all day but I finally got through and pre-ordered my upgrade. Ships next week.

Tony Edwards
09-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Me too. As a said, I want something in the same form factor as my 5s with NFC and water resistance.

I would be very surprised to see that happen. If they intended to make such a phone I'm sure they would have announced it this week. As far as I recall there is no precedent for their introducing an entirely new model outside of the usually annual iPhone announcements. I don't disagree that this would be a compelling package, though. I really wish Apple would make its phones water resistant, since that technology is now ready for prime time.

thirdgenbird
09-12-2014, 02:43 PM
They have broke precedent with the last two releases. They just as well do it again.

I'm not say that package will get released, but I could see an updated 5 sized device getting released next time.

EDS
09-12-2014, 03:14 PM
I am looking forward to replacing my iphone 4 with an iphone 6. I am sure I will hate the extra size when it is my pocket but will love it when using it.

When I got the iphone 4 I was coming off several years of blackberry devices. One of the features I never thought I would use is ibooks. Just so easy to grab my iphone and read on it while on the subway, waiting for appointments, traveling, etc. It has allowed me to do a lot more pleasure reading then I did previously due to the accessibility. Will be nice with the iphone 6 when the books are only 2000 pages long as opposed to 3000.

Anarchist
09-12-2014, 03:15 PM
I do not want a phone as large as the iPhone 6. I have been using a Blackberry Z10 which I feel is pushing the limit of how large I would want any phone to be, I certainly don't want larger.

Our It department have finally given the go ahead to iOS devices so I ordered a 5s.

It is a perfect size, it has as much power as I need and is a more advanced robust product than any of the competition. Also, Apple Pay is US only and I see it being a fair while before it gets introduced to Canada. The use case is not as compelling in Canada as the US as all credit cards in Canada are chipped and PIN authorized.

So I get a couple of years from the 5s and by then I expect we will see the A8 or A9 chip in the smaller 5s form factor which would be perfect.

jimoots
09-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Also, Apple Pay is US only and I see it being a fair while before it gets introduced to Canada. The use case is not as compelling in Canada as the US as all credit cards in Canada are chipped and PIN authorized.

Don't you guys have PayWave/PayPass yet? Australia is always a bit behind US/Euro for banking trends... We've had PW/PP for a couple of years, chip and PIN got introduced 4-5 years ago and we completely scrapped signature for purchases a few months ago.

If you don't have PW/PP, basically you hover your card over the card terminal, it senses your card and no pin required under $100. Over $100 you can insert your card and PIN, or wave your card and then be prompted for a PIN. Almost all cards this tech here in Australia, its been around for a few years.

Apple NFC is the same tech as is already in the PW/PP cards and terminals that are already out in the wild around the world.

So in countries that have already gone down the PW/PP path, Phone NFC for banking is going to get real traction now that the iPhone has NFC capabilities. The infrastructure is already there and consumers are already using it, albeit with other mechanisms (i.e. cards, NFC stickers on their phones)

I must admit that I haven't investigated the Apple Pay stuff as yet. 12 months ago I would be fiending over the doco, but I'm (thankfully, oh so thankfully) no longer employed in banking IT.

It will be interesting to see if it is a wholly Apple controlled wallet, or if banks will be able to exploit the technology to innovate their own apps.

Either way, I really see this taking off. All the tech guys in banks and third party devs that I have spoken to over the years have been either doing bits and pieces for Android, or not-so-patiently waiting for Apple NFC.

Netdewt
09-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Don't you guys have PayWave/PayPass yet? Australia is always a bit behind US/Euro for banking trends... We've had PW/PP for a couple of years, chip and PIN got introduced 4-5 years ago and we completely scrapped signature for purchases a few months ago.

If you don't have PW/PP, basically you hover your card over the card terminal, it senses your card and no pin required under $100. Over $100 you can insert your card and PIN, or wave your card and then be prompted for a PIN. Almost all cards this tech here in Australia, its been around for a few years.

Of course not. All my cards are still magnetic strip and signature. We're so on top of things.

Llewellyn
09-12-2014, 05:15 PM

Using cheques to pay for things is even more archaic than me using a mobile to make phone calls.

Don't they have EFT's in the US? Over here cheques are almost extinct.

thirdgenbird
09-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Of course not. All my cards are still magnetic strip and signature. We're so on top of things.

I've got a chip and pin card but I'm probably in the minority here in the US.

Edit: just got off the phone with my dad. He said he ordered a 6. I assumed he would say the plus due to age and eyesight but he said "no, if I wanted widescreen, I will go to the drive in."

Llewellyn
09-12-2014, 05:50 PM

The only trouble I have with PW/PP or sticking the card in the slot is that I'm never sure of which method the shop uses. And IME it's the other way round when it comes to who leads who in banking trends.

buddybikes
09-12-2014, 05:55 PM
I use this green paper stuff and people seem to look at me funny.

malbecman
09-12-2014, 06:00 PM
Looks like the Plus already has a wait time of 1 month plus due to a "record number of orders".

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/09/12/us-apple-iphone-idINKBN0H71TW20140912

Anarchist
09-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Apple NFC is the same tech as is already in the PW/PP cards and terminals that are already out in the wild around the world.

So in countries that have already gone down the PW/PP path, Phone NFC for banking is going to get real traction now that the iPhone has NFC capabilities. The infrastructure is already there and consumers are already using it, albeit with other mechanisms (i.e. cards, NFC stickers on their phones)

I must admit that I haven't investigated the Apple Pay stuff as yet. 12 months ago I would be fiending over the doco, but I'm (thankfully, oh so thankfully) no longer employed in banking IT.

It will be interesting to see if it is a wholly Apple controlled wallet, or if banks will be able to exploit the technology to innovate their own apps.

Either way, I really see this taking off. All the tech guys in banks and third party devs that I have spoken to over the years have been either doing bits and pieces for Android, or not-so-patiently waiting for Apple NFC.

Yes, we have PW/PP.

I saw a report today that says Apple earns .15% on every transaction. That adds up to a huge pile of money pretty quickly.

bcgav
09-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Now that Apple has entered the mobile payment market in the US with the iPhone 6, 6 Plus and Apple Watch in early '15, it could create the tipping point to get a majority of merchants on-board. The added security and privacy of transactions is very appealing with the TJ Maxx, Target, and Home Depot breaches.

jlwdm
09-12-2014, 09:19 PM

I don't see an issue with fitting either of these phones in my pocket. I may have an issue though because I carry my phone, my wallet, my change and my pen in my front left pocket.

Jeff

Tony T
09-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Here's a good comparison of devices by size: http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Phone-Size-Comparison-Sep-2014.jpg
from: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/a-panoramic-visual-guide-to-plus-sized-iphones-and-other-smart-handsets/

jimoots
09-13-2014, 05:16 AM
The only trouble I have with PW/PP or sticking the card in the slot is that I'm never sure of which method the shop uses. And IME it's the other way round when it comes to who leads who in banking trends.

US (and Euro to some extend) lead payments and banking innovation, simply due to scale and competition.

I don't mean to be a jerk it's just I worked in that industry specifically in digital innovation for quite a long time. Everything we do here in Australia in terms of banking has been done somewhere else a few years prior.

But man, I'm glad I'm out of that game! Ha. My current employer is much cooler than a bank!

tele
09-13-2014, 07:34 AM
Leaning toward upgrading from the 5 to the 6.

Question for the masses: My son is nearing the age for a phone, so if I keep the existing iphone 5 with Verizon, will that work with any pay as you go plans? I know its a cdma phone but not sure about sim cards etc...

sitzmark
09-13-2014, 07:58 AM

Question for the masses: My son is nearing the age for a phone, so if I keep the existing iphone 5 with Verizon, will that work with any pay as you go plans? I know its a cdma phone but not sure about sim cards etc...

The VZW iP5s are factory unlocked. It will operate on GSM with a sim card. This is a great "travel option" for using VZ iP5 for international travel because CDMA turned out to be more of a liability than the world standard it once appeared to be destined for. (... or the CDMA proponents once hoped) So with the 5, VZW finally made it easy for customers to travel internationally by switching sim cards rather than renting and taking delivery of a separate phone.

Wouldn't it be less expensive for your son to be on your share plan? For talk definitely. Problem with iPhone is a data plan is required. The convoluted data share plans have to be researched, however. My VZW phones are still grandfathered under the unlimited data plans and $9.99/mo to share voice plan. Every time I've done the math to consider putting all under the voice/data combined plan it is more expensive for less data.

I'm not familiar with PayGo programs, but my guess is that PayGo providers offer sim cards for their service. So pop the VZW sim out of the side and pop the new one in. I think you may need a sim card tray along with specific cards also.

p nut
09-13-2014, 08:37 AM

Look into the TMobile prepaid plans. When I was pricing it out for my folks (who don't use phones much), it was the cheapest. Unlimited talk/data/text.

thirdgenbird
09-13-2014, 10:15 AM
I don't see an issue with fitting either of these phones in my pocket. I may have an issue though because I carry my phone, my wallet, my change and my pen in my front left pocket.

Jeff

It's not about "fit" it's about comfort. The 5s is the largest thing I want in my pocket. My prior galaxy was too big and I hated it. I carry a very slim money clip in my back pocket, my phone in one front pocket, and a single car key in my other. Change? Never. Pen? Not with a smart phone.

Look into the TMobile prepaid plans. When I was pricing it out for my folks (who don't use phones much), it was the cheapest. Unlimited talk/data/text.

If you hand a kid an iphone, unlimited text/data means something. Pretty sure my college aged sister in law has tmobile prepaid and likes it.

93legendti
09-13-2014, 12:21 PM

We went from 3 lines with Att at $185/month to T-Mobile, 3 lines and 2 data lines, at $127/month. Free roaming re data overseas at 3g speeds.

Don49
09-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Pretty sure my college aged sister in law has tmobile prepaid and likes it.I use Tmobile prepaid and like it. Here's a site if anyone wants to research prepaid plans: http://www.prepaidphonenews.com

jlwdm
09-13-2014, 03:30 PM
... I carry a very slim money clip in my back pocket, my phone in one front pocket, and a single car key in my other. Change? Never. Pen? Not with a smart phone.

Nothing in back pockets. Have to put change somewhere. Use a smart phone constantly, but have to sign documents and have clients sign documents. A pen is a necessity.

Jeff

thirdgenbird
09-13-2014, 03:52 PM
Nothing in back pockets. Have to put change somewhere. Use a smart phone constantly, but have to sign documents and have clients sign documents. A pen is a necessity.

Jeff

Thankfully the pen isn't necessary for my profession. Seriously, I don't carry change. I rarely have cash.

SoCalSteve
09-13-2014, 04:36 PM

Interesting, because the larger screen version sold out much quicker than the smaller...guess you misjudged the Apple user.

I myself pre ordered the smaller version. The larger just seems too unwieldy for normal day to day use.

Tony T
09-13-2014, 04:51 PM
You're assuming that Apple had the same number of units for both the 6 and 6+

93legendti
09-13-2014, 04:53 PM
"This is our biggest Phone, preorder launch day ever," said Glenn Lurie, CEO of AT&T Mobility, in a statement.

This follows a comment that Apple had set its own record for launch-day preordersovernight.

http://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-iphone-6-represents-our-biggest-pre-order-launch-ever/#ftag=YHF65cbda0

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-iphone-6-preorders-set-a-record-overnight/

thirdgenbird
09-13-2014, 05:03 PM
You're assuming that Apple had the same number of units for both the 6 and 6+

This.

It might be the largest launch ever, but only 10% of production may be the plus. I haven't seen any numbers.

shovelhd
09-13-2014, 05:22 PM
All I know is that when I was finally able to get through on the Sprint mobile site, the 6+ had a four week wait and the grey 6/16 that I was after was a week. This was around 3pm on Friday.

saab2000
09-13-2014, 05:33 PM
I'm on the "S" cycle. We'll see in a year when/if the 6S comes out. For now I'm totally happy with my 5S.

cetuximab
09-13-2014, 09:26 PM

The prepaid plans work ok. They are cheaper. I had a prepaid plan for a year. It was $20 cheaper than a contract plan with 4x the data.

And there was no line tax on top. I have a contract plan and pay $19 on top of the rest of the bill.

Verizon will not let you activate a 5 or newer in the prepaid plan.

DukeHorn
09-14-2014, 01:40 AM
This.

It might be the largest launch ever, but only 10% of production may be the plus. I haven't seen any numbers.

Or it might not. What we can speculate is that the analysts at Apple misjudged the popularity of the 6 plus over the 6 during this launch phase (or the manufacturing of the 6 plus was hindered in some fashion).

moodster
09-14-2014, 01:58 AM
My 6+ shipped today? We will see on size. I was wanting a larger screen but hopefully this is not to large.

Tony T
09-14-2014, 07:45 AM
My 6+ shipped today? We will see on size. I was wanting a larger screen but hopefully this is not to large.

How big is the iPhone 6 Plus? Find out with our handy paper template (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/how-big-is-the-iphone-6-plus-find-out-with-our-handy-paper-template/)

moodster
09-14-2014, 09:14 AM
I saw that also but it didn't give me a true feel pocket wise etc.

p nut
09-14-2014, 09:57 AM

Just checked and mine is prepping for shipment. I am also wondering about the girth of this thing. Hopefully will be something I'll get used to. But if battery life isn't up to par (at least full day's use), then I might trade down.

moodster
09-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Yep me too. Holding on to my 5 for a while.

p nut
09-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Just ordered a Spigen case. Been an Otterbox user for a long time, but they're not that slim. In hopes of keeping the 6+ as slender as possible while offering some protection, I got the Neo Hybrid. Price is about a 1/3 of the Otterbox as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LLGLR18/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p _dp_1

thirdgenbird
09-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Looks nice p nut. An otterbox case for a 6 plus has almost got to be huge. A 5 in an otterbox if far too big.

moodster
09-14-2014, 12:06 PM
I grabbed the spigen also. Thx for heads up.

93legendti
09-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Just ordered a 6 for my daughter and 6+ for my wife. TMobile is offering $350 for my daughter's 16gb 5s...

4Rings6Stars
09-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Just ordered a 6 for my daughter and 6+ for my wife. TMobile is offering $350 for my daughter's 16gb 5s...

Yikes, wonder what I could get for my mint 32gb 5s...

I typically just toss it in the drawer as a spare when I upgrade, but if I'm getting >$350 for it I might have to rethink.

Netdewt
09-14-2014, 10:48 PM
They are paying top dollar to get people into the huge clunker before they have second thoughts. ;)

Hey look, someone who wrote an article agrees with me:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley/2014/09/12/wait-where-is-the-normal-sized-iphone-6/

p nut
09-14-2014, 10:55 PM
They are paying top dollar to get people into the huge clunker before they have second thoughts. ;)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley/2014/09/12/wait-where-is-the-normal-sized-iphone-6/

To be fair, he also thought the Amazon phone was going to be a "game changer." :p

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley/2014/07/02/why-the-amazon-fire-phone-could-be-a-smartphone-game-changer/

93legendti
09-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Yikes, wonder what I could get for my mint 32gb 5s...

I typically just toss it in the drawer as a spare when I upgrade, but if I'm getting >$350 for it I might have to rethink.

Same price at TMobile store ...I asked, cuz that's what my wife has...going to list hers for $550 on ebay...

oldpotatoe
09-15-2014, 06:26 AM
To be fair, he also thought the Amazon phone was going to be a "game changer." :p

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley/2014/07/02/why-the-amazon-fire-phone-could-be-a-smartphone-game-changer/

The 'game' was changed when Apple first made their..

ipod
iphone
ipad

all the others have been chasing ever since.

Tony T
09-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Interestingly, the iPods got smaller while the iPhone got larger ;)
(But if there is a market for a 4" iPhone, Apple can easily produce it)

Netdewt
09-15-2014, 08:34 AM

Haha! Point taken.

bruin11
09-15-2014, 09:01 AM

This is not necessarily true anymore. When your contract ends you can change to a byod plan where you are no longer paying the subsidy and not tied to a contract. That way you continue to use your existing phone for less.

jimoots
09-15-2014, 11:02 PM

I get what you're saying, but I mean, 4.7 inches isn't massive. It's only fractionally larger than the iPhone 5. If you can be bothered, check the comparison print offs cited earlier and you'll see what I mean.

After all the fuss that has been made, most people will be likely to get it and expect that it was going to be bigger.

As for the article, was a bit more like an angry white guy rant. It's Apple's most succesful iPhone pre-order yet... I think Tony underestimated the demand for large iPhones... or overestimated the resistance to a marginally bigger phone.

jtakeda
09-15-2014, 11:05 PM
I'm curious to see what the new iPhone will look like in a case.

I find the cases to be the thing that bulks the phone up to an unmanageable size.

p nut
09-16-2014, 10:53 AM
This is not necessarily true anymore. When your contract ends you can change to a byod plan where you are no longer paying the subsidy and not tied to a contract. That way you continue to use your existing phone for less.

Hm, never heard this before. Is this with all carriers? So you are saying that the typical $30-40 subsidy/month can be done away with if I am out of contract? If that's true, I might as well buy the phone outright.

Netdewt
09-16-2014, 11:48 AM
I get what you're saying, but I mean, 4.7 inches isn't massive. It's only fractionally larger than the iPhone 5. If you can be bothered, check the comparison print offs cited earlier and you'll see what I mean.

After all the fuss that has been made, most people will be likely to get it and expect that it was going to be bigger.

As for the article, was a bit more like an angry white guy rant. It's Apple's most succesful iPhone pre-order yet... I think Tony underestimated the demand for large iPhones... or overestimated the resistance to a marginally bigger phone.

I've done the cutouts. The "small" 6 is not as bad as I thought from pictures, but I still much prefer the iPhone 5 size, and I wouldn't mind if it got smaller. I have no need or desire for my telephone, text, and email device to be more cumbersome than it already is.

The massive 6 is simply ridiculous. I honestly do not understand why someone would want to carry that in their pocket everyday. I would need a man purse.

I really don't care about the "popularity" of it, or how marginal the change is. I still think it's stupid.

jpw
09-16-2014, 11:57 AM
i read that NFC on the 6 will only work with Apple Pay. no other contactless systems will.

jimoots
09-16-2014, 04:02 PM
I've done the cutouts. The "small" 6 is not as bad as I thought from pictures, but I still much prefer the iPhone 5 size, and I wouldn't mind if it got smaller. I have no need or desire for my telephone, text, and email device to be more cumbersome than it already is.

The massive 6 is simply ridiculous. I honestly do not understand why someone would want to carry that in their pocket everyday. I would need a man purse.

I really don't care about the "popularity" of it, or how marginal the change is. I still think it's stupid.

Yeah and I mean that's cool, you're entitled to your opinion.

It's just the dude's article that you cited seemed to strongly suggest offering 4.7 inches as the smallest size was a massive mistake, and I don't think that is really justified given the response, y'know?

gone
09-16-2014, 05:38 PM
I'm curious to see what the new iPhone will look like in a case.

I find the cases to be the thing that bulks the phone up to an unmanageable size.
That's one of the things that always tickles me about smart phones in general (and I include the iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, LG G3, etc in this list) is how much effort the respective companies spend on a really beautiful industrial design plus making them pretty robust (have you ever actually tried to scratch gorilla glass?) and the first thing everyone does is put them in some ugly as hell case.

No offense to anyone that uses cases (and I don't), but I bet Jony Ive breaks out in pustules every time he sees his beautiful phone in an otter box.

cetuximab
09-16-2014, 07:03 PM

My wife had a google phone. You can use it with any carrier except verizon . We went with straight talk. 45 bucks a month, unlimited data, unlimited minutes, unlimited text.

Verizon prepaid is a separate branch of company. It is harder to convert from a contract plan to a prepaid plan than going with a different carrier. The prepaid plan only do 3G speed data and will not work with a iPhone five or newer phone.

r_mutt
09-16-2014, 07:12 PM
That's one of the things that always tickles me about smart phones in general (and I include the iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, LG G3, etc in this list) is how much effort the respective companies spend on a really beautiful industrial design plus making them pretty robust (have you ever actually tried to scratch gorilla glass?) and the first thing everyone does is put them in some ugly as hell case.

No offense to anyone that uses cases (and I don't), but I bet Jony Ive breaks out in pustules every time he sees his beautiful phone in an otter box.

then they should make the damn thing less prone to breakage. i broke my IPhone 5 a week after i bought it and twice total in just over 2 years. it's simply too fragile. i hope the 6 will be more durable. the IPhone 3 was very durable. i dropped that numerous times and nothing ever happened.

I think it's a scam to make a phone that fragile. They are banking on everyone spending an extra 20-50 dollars more on an Apple branded IPhone case- or the extra $200 for a new screen. it's a scam!!!

jlwdm
09-16-2014, 07:31 PM
No case for me; no problems.

Jeff

r_mutt
09-16-2014, 07:41 PM
No case for me; no problems.

Jeff

that is not the norm- otherwise cases wouldn't exist. no one willingly wants a ugly case on their phone. the second time it broke, there was a case on it.

93legendti
09-16-2014, 07:43 PM
that is not the norm- otherwise cases wouldn't exist.

2 types of people...those that have broken a phone and those who will...my buddy owns a phone fix store...bread and butter are case-less phones coming in for a fix.

gone
09-16-2014, 08:30 PM
2 types of people...those that have broken a phone and those who will...my buddy owns a phone fix store...bread and butter are case-less phones coming in for a fix.
Well, I'm probably seriously jinxing myself by saying this but I've never used a case on a cell phone since before the Motorola Startac (remember those?) in the early 90's. My phones look as good when I stop using them (I generally sell them) as they do on the day I got them.

But then I have several pairs of sunglasses that are more than 30 years old that I still use on a regular basis.

If I were careless with my things or prone to dropping my phone, putting it in the laundry, etc., I'd probably have a case. But I'm not.

93legendti
09-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Apparently, it's a thin clunker...

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/when-apple-unveiled-the-iphone-6-last-week-it-97685451544.html

Steelman
09-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Wow, can't believe there isn't a thread on this already. Any of you getting the new iPhone? My current phone is tired and will be upgrading....

Well, since we are overweight Apple stock, (have held it a few years, and against the Canadian Dollar, probably would not buy shares today), would suggest everyone run out right now and get the new phone, watch, and whatever else they have.

Mobile devices have taken over the world. Understandable, if you are a realtor, or similar, but for everyday people, is it really necessary to be tethered all the time?

When we are overseas, I have a simple Nokia that lets me talk or text. More of a requirement in a third-world country, but most people in North America would be better off without them.

Steelman
09-16-2014, 11:14 PM
The way most people use their mobile devices fits the definition of addiction, I think the intervention went the wrong way...

This.

Ever notice in the shopping mall? Many folks cannot take their hand of their phone. The constantly clutch it, even when not in use. It has become their best friend, their constant companion.

Ever notice, kids dont play much outside anymore? It shows, they are getting bigger. This might be the first generation where kids dont learn to swim or ride a bike. I blame it on misplaced technology.

dave thompson
09-16-2014, 11:17 PM
For any of you who are going to upgrade to the 6 or 6+, I'm looking to buy a Verizon 5S, I want one. Email me with the particulars, I'm a serious buyer.

93legendti
09-17-2014, 06:17 AM
For any of you who are going to upgrade to the 6 or 6+, I'm looking to buy a Verizon 5S, I want one. Email me with the particulars, I'm a serious buyer.

Sorry, ours are TMobile...:(

Nooch
09-17-2014, 07:35 AM

Dave, if you get more than one offer, please send them my way -- I too would be interested in picking up a 5s if someone is upgrading, Verizon as well. Heck, I might even consider a 5C..

p nut
09-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Dave, if you get more than one offer, please send them my way -- I too would be interested in picking up a 5s if someone is upgrading, Verizon as well. Heck, I might even consider a 5C..

I'm sure there will be a flood of them this Friday on various online classifieds. I'll be selling my 5 (AT&T) as soon as the new phone is registered (not looking forward to dealing with the site crashing, elongated activation time, etc.)...

bluesea
09-17-2014, 11:32 AM
This.

Ever notice in the shopping mall? Many folks cannot take their hand of their phone. The constantly clutch it, even when not in use. It has become their best friend, their constant companion.

I carry mine sometimes because I don't like heavy things in my pockets.

Matsumae
09-17-2014, 12:09 PM

in the summer I wear boardshorts a lot, the one pocket they have isn't big enough for my phone, lol. rather than putting it in and out of my backpack constantly I just carry it in my hand so I can respond to texts.

thirdgenbird
09-17-2014, 12:15 PM
in the summer I wear boardshorts a lot, the one pocket they have isn't big enough for my phone, lol. rather than putting it in and out of my backpack constantly I just carry it in my hand so I can respond to texts.

Forget that. I would wear different shorts, get a smaller phone, or people would just have to wait.

p nut
09-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Maybe there is a market for that now. Works for water bottles. Nathan Quick Draw.

pdmtong
09-19-2014, 11:11 AM
Drove past the local store this morning
The line is down the street around the corner and halfway up the block
1000+ people
Some people here since Tuesday afternoon
Tim Cook showed up at 8am to greet everyone
Multiple news vans
Loud cheers each time someone gets their new phone

thirdgenbird
09-19-2014, 11:15 AM
1000+ people
Tim Cook showed up at 8am to greet everyone
Multiple news vans
Loud cheers each time someone gets their new phone

I worry about our society

Likes2ridefar
09-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Huge line in Chelsea nyc too. Almost all I saw this am were Chinese. Lots of old ladies!

1centaur
09-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Almost all I saw this am were Chinese.

Just wait until the iPhone 8.

Netdewt
09-19-2014, 11:25 AM

Oh yeeeeeah.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/1/27/1264620454378/Apple-iPad-picture-modifi-001.jpg

p nut
09-19-2014, 11:46 AM
I was fortunate enough to get the preorder in and not have to wait in line (not that I would have either way). Just got the phone this morning.

6 Plus is gigantic. No two ways about it. I will admit that it was a big shock at first (and still is). One-handed operation is difficult (I usually wear a size L gloves). Definitely notice the extra girth and heft in my pocket (yes, it is pocketable in my business slacks, and I don't wear skinny jeans, so no issues there, either). Not a big surprise, as the specs had been released for some time now, but it's a bit different when you're actually holding/operating the actual device.

At this point, I still think the good outweighs the bad. The big screen is nice. I don't have to hold it up so close to my face anymore. I think I actually may enjoy watching movies on it now. Browsing the web and navigating through apps is much better as well. I don't have to zoom in to hit the tiny links/buttons anymore. I am testing the battery life and seems to be doing much better than the 5.

It's big, though. Did I mention that already? I'll keep it for a couple of weeks at least to get used to it. If size still gets to me, I'll sell and get a 6 minus. :p
Side note: After playing around with it since this morning, I picked up my (now deactivated) iPhone 5. The thing is tiiiiny! How did I ever subject my eyes to a screen that small???

thirdgenbird
09-19-2014, 11:58 AM

And 9.

Did they avoid the 4?

p nut
09-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Almost all I saw this am were Chinese...

How many fat people? Diabetics?

Netdewt
09-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Side note: After playing around with it since this morning, I picked up my (now deactivated) iPhone 5. The thing is tiiiiny! How did I ever subject my eyes to a screen that small???

It's true, we do become used to whatever we use. I notice this with computer speed. I am on a 2013 Mac Pro at work now, and everything else I have seems pretty slow in comparison.

Likes2ridefar
09-19-2014, 12:30 PM
How many fat people? Diabetics?

at least one but less than 10,000.

LJohnny
09-19-2014, 12:43 PM
I was fortunate enough to get the preorder in and not have to wait in line (not that I would have either way). Just got the phone this morning.

6 Plus is gigantic. No two ways about it. I will admit that it was a big shock at first (and still is). One-handed operation is difficult (I usually wear a size L gloves). Definitely notice the extra girth and heft in my pocket (yes, it is pocketable in my business slacks, and I don't wear skinny jeans, so no issues there, either). Not a big surprise, as the specs had been released for some time now, but it's a bit different when you're actually holding/operating the actual device.

It's big, though. Did I mention that already? I'll keep it for a couple of weeks at least to get used to it. If size still gets to me, I'll sell and get a 6 minus.
Can you fit it in your jersey's back pocket w/o issues? I am on the same. But i am still waiting for it.

I checked the note2 and 3 and based on that figured it should fit fine...

Likes2ridefar
09-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Can you fit it in your jersey's back pocket w/o issues? I am on the same. But i am still waiting for it.

i had a note 2 for a little while and found it not so great in the back pocket. it caused a lot of sag in the pocket due to the weight. it did fit fine though.

jpw
09-19-2014, 12:52 PM

At this point, I still think the good outweighs the bad. The big screen is nice. I don't have to hold it up so close to my face anymore. I think I actually may enjoy watching movies on it now. Browsing the web and navigating through apps is much better as well. I don't have to zoom in to hit the tiny links/buttons anymore. I am testing the battery life and seems to be doing much better than the 5.

It's big, though. Did I mention that already? I'll keep it for a couple of weeks at least to get used to it. If size still gets to me, I'll sell and get a 6 minus. :p

do you find the reachability function helpful?

MadRocketSci
09-19-2014, 12:52 PM

The words "sometimes I don't understand human behavior" are running through my brain, though I can't put my finger on the movie or show it comes from (and it's not Star Trek classic or TNG). Unexpected to me but good for Apple stock and dividends I s'pose. Carry on.

jpw
09-19-2014, 12:54 PM
The words "sometimes I don't understand human behavior" are running through my brain, though I can't put my finger on the movie or show it comes from (and it's not Star Trek classic or TNG). Unexpected to me but good for Apple stock and dividends I s'pose. Carry on.

sounds like Spock, but could be C3PO.

MadRocketSci
09-19-2014, 01:15 PM
sounds like Spock, but could be C3PO.

C3PO! I knew it was in a british accent...it was when Luke was outside the base on Hoth and Han chewed out 3PO for interrupting him, and it was succeeded by "between you and me, I think Master Luke is in considerable danger"

i'm such a NERD

p nut
09-19-2014, 01:20 PM

Haven't tried it as I'm at work now, but will see when I get home. But I usually put the phone in my TT bag, which I hope will fit without issues.

do you find the reachability function helpful?

At this point, I'm not sure. I think it's more novelty than anything else, like the Galaxy eye detection feature. Just using my other hand seems easier than the double tap.

Using two hands is taking me back to the Blackberry days. Good memories.

Netdewt
09-19-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm wondering... how long until Apple gets rid of the distinction between iPhone/iPad/iPod? Why not just offer devices in all sizes desired, different capacities, and wifi only or with data connection? For as large as the new phones are, maybe there's someone out there who'd like to use the full-size iPad as a phone?

saab2000
09-19-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm wondering... how long until Apple gets rid of the distinction between iPhone/iPad/iPod? Why not just offer devices in all sizes desired, different capacities, and wifi only or with data connection? For as large as the new phones are, maybe there's someone out there who'd like to use the full-size iPad as a phone?

This is an interesting idea. I've always wondered about the viability of the iPod Touch with the iPhone. But my sister-in-law loves her iPod Touch. She has a flip phone (reluctantly I think) and likes the functionality of the iPod Touch that does everything but make calls. No plan, but does essentially everything else.

If I could get an iPod Touch with a data plan but no voice, it's what I'd do, even if I couldn't make calls from it. I'd just get a regular phone.

Anyway, you've hit the nail here. The lines are getting blurry between these products.

gone
09-19-2014, 02:02 PM
1000+ people

I wouldn't wait in line that long for a kidney, much less a cell phone.

p nut
09-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Agreed that's the way it's heading. The watches available now are getting texts/emails/phone calls (tethered to the phone). All devices will be fully tethered to each other, so you can answer calls on any i-device.

About a year ago, I almost cancelled my cell service to buy an iPad mini with data service. I could use Google Voice as my cell/text, along with facetime. The huge screen was just a pleasure to use. But taking it for bike rides was out of the question, as I'd need a frame bag to carry it around. This is why I bought the 6+, since I thought it would be a good middle ground between the two devices.

djg
09-19-2014, 02:36 PM

Well . . . yeah, it seems a little nuts, but it could just mean that lots of people have plenty of leisure time and cash and REALLY, REALLY, like getting new phones. I mean, I wouldn't do it -- wouldn't pay the money even if they'd bring the thing right to my house, like they'd do in a few weeks or so anyway -- but it's not obviously worse than lining up for Taylor Swift tickets.

Let's hope most of the folks in line are not unemployed (or if they are, that they are flipping the phones to people who really, really have money to throw at new phones -- I saw a news feed from Asia where the pre-orders were being flipped for up to a couple of grand).

1centaur
09-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Isn't it worse than lining up for Taylor Swift tickets? Miss those tickets and miss her show at a (more) reasonable cost. Miss the iPhone line-up and wait a few days to get it.

But hey, they're having fun, being social, and playing with a new toy early so they can tell their other friends about it. Not so bad in the scheme of things.

93legendti
09-19-2014, 03:06 PM
See what new iPhone 6's are selling for on eBay. When the Nexus 5 was announced, people were selling them on ebay for $100 more, promising to drop ship when the phones arrived...hundreds of auctions like that before the phone showed in stores...

EDS
09-19-2014, 03:08 PM
This is an interesting idea. I've always wondered about the viability of the iPod Touch with the iPhone. But my sister-in-law loves her iPod Touch. She has a flip phone (reluctantly I think) and likes the functionality of the iPod Touch that does everything but make calls. No plan, but does essentially everything else.

If I could get an iPod Touch with a data plan but no voice, it's what I'd do, even if I couldn't make calls from it. I'd just get a regular phone.

Anyway, you've hit the nail here. The lines are getting blurry between these products.

There are apps you can use to make VOIP calls on an ipad, iphone or itouch.

MadRocketSci
09-19-2014, 03:22 PM
delaying of gratification is really not our strong suit, is it....

1centaur
09-19-2014, 03:25 PM
But for a bike phone you might not be in wifi range. I wonder if they could separate the wireless module from the computing module so you could snap the wireless module on to whatever computing device form you prefer when you need it. The wireless module would have to be very small so as not to have an intrusive combined form factor.

93legendti
09-19-2014, 03:35 PM
http://gawker.com/first-iphone-6-buyer-lives-nightmare-immediately-drop-1636747679?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The thrill of a new phone...it practically jumps out of the box...

bcgav
09-19-2014, 04:42 PM
They nailed it. I was a little apprehensive about the size of the 6 before seeing it in person and handling it. FedEx dropped it of this morning.

Impressions: Rounded edges, curved and organic like worn river rock. Glass goes edge to edge, bends and blends with edge. Super thin and light. Love the size already, bigger but weight and thinness make it feel great in hand.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n576/TAG_Balllistic/Mobile%20Uploads/F8CD5C0B-8261-4C45-9252-194904E5EDD9_zpsbcnvceb3.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/TAG_Balllistic/media/Mobile%20Uploads/F8CD5C0B-8261-4C45-9252-194904E5EDD9_zpsbcnvceb3.jpg.html)

saab2000
09-19-2014, 04:46 PM
This forum cannot allow speculation, conjecture and innuendo to be distorted by people who actually have the device in question! The outrage! :D

MadRocketSci
09-19-2014, 04:46 PM
That's funny... I'm looking at a picture of a guy holding his phone in his left hand on my 4.7" phone which I'm holding in my left hand..

pdmtong
09-19-2014, 05:48 PM
But hey, they're having fun, being social, and playing with a new toy early so they can tell their other friends about it. Not so bad in the scheme of things.

the get it first mentality is cult of apple. then again the early birds got selfies with tim cook.

bcgav
09-19-2014, 05:53 PM
the get it first mentality is cult of apple. then again the early birds got selfies with tim cook.

Supply and demand...

93legendti
09-19-2014, 06:00 PM
People used to wait in line for new Windows operating systems. I remember radio shack having waiting lists for Zip Zaps. Beanie Babies mania? Better than waiting in line for toilet paper in the old USSR...

Anarchist
09-19-2014, 06:32 PM
There are apps you can use to make VOIP calls on an ipad, iphone or itouch.

I can do FaceTime on my iPod Touch.

shovelhd
09-19-2014, 06:48 PM
I like the screen size and the heft. Getting the right case is going to be challenging.

professerr
09-19-2014, 07:33 PM
I played with both the 6 and 6+ at the store today. Best thing to me was the screens on both were really excellent. It isn't a shock and awe effect, but it is the closest to paper I've seen on any electronic device. Partly it is the resolution and contrast, but also the fact the the image seems to almost be on the surface of the glass. And it doesn't seem to glow as much -- less like a TV screen and more like a paper magazine. I wonder if I could actually read a book on one of these. Compared to my 5 and the in-store iPads, the phone screens seemed much more pleasant to read on.

The whole look and feel of both are smooth and even more seamless than the 5 which now, amazingly, feels a bit crude in comparison.

Not sure about the size of these things, especially the +. Even the 6 takes up more pocket room than I'd like.

LJohnny
09-19-2014, 07:50 PM
After checking the actual phones "on hand" as well. I have canceled the 6+ and I am going to the back of the line for the 6.

I am glad had the chance to check them in person.

bcgav
09-19-2014, 07:56 PM
People used to wait in line for new Windows operating systems. I remember radio shack having waiting lists for Zip Zaps. Beanie Babies mania? Better than waiting in line for toilet paper in the old USSR...

Playstations and XBoxes as well.

Louis
09-19-2014, 08:24 PM
That's funny... I'm looking at a picture of a guy holding his phone in his left hand on my 4.7" phone which I'm holding in my left hand..

When I was a little kid this used to blow my mind:

http://www.renaud-bray.com/ImagesEditeurs/PG/1331/1331256-gf.jpg

MadRocketSci
09-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Little known fact that IBM had to print the little laughing cows at the atomic scale on ALL packaging... Not satisfied they sponsored a large research project to print them subatomically that led to the discovery of the higgs boson.... I just put it on the internet so it's true ;)

Louis
09-19-2014, 09:14 PM
If you look closely you can also see this:

http://cdnph.upi.com/sv/b/i/UPI-3131367419187/2013/1/13674243595356/VIDEO-Worlds-smallest-movie-A-Boy-and-His-Atom.jpg

moodster
09-20-2014, 12:41 AM
Got my plus today. It's big but I like it. Easy on my aging eyes. The six probably would of been fine but I'm happy.

pdmtong
09-20-2014, 04:23 AM
Got my plus today. It's big but I like it. Easy on my aging eyes. The six probably would of been fine but I'm happy.

Does the plus fit into a jersey pocket?

93legendti
09-20-2014, 08:19 AM
6 and 6 plus are set to land any minute...looking forward to comparing them...

Update, arrived and setup...wife and daughter are very happy...I told them the "experts" say they are wrong....they gave me a look...;)

moodster
09-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Just slipped it into one. Appears fine.

MePaleo
09-20-2014, 10:04 AM
Received my 6 last night. Great design/ look and the keyboard text suggestions are a pretty cool iOS feature. The size really reminds me of my dad's Galaxy. Reaching the upper left icon with the phone in the right hand is quite a stretch. It is definitely going to need a case to protect it. The camera lens sticks out a bit in the back and the phone is smooth/ slick with little grip. I can see it slipping out of my hand easily, so I am going to proceed with caution until I get it properly clothed.

p nut
09-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Yes, seems to be fine in the jersey pocket. Again, I'll be carrying mine up in my handlebar bag.

Day 2 of ownership, it still feels pretty big, but getting used to it more. It's nice not to have to go landscape to read websites. Battery usage is still up in the air. Definitely leaps ahead of the 5, but I do remember all phones had excellent battery life at least for the first 2 weeks, then some went downhill. I'm at 79% battery life with 6 hrs of standby and ~4hrs of usage.

Climb01742
09-20-2014, 10:12 AM
6 and 6 plus are set to land any minute...looking forward to comparing them...

Update, arrived and setup...wife and daughter are very happy...I told them the "experts" say they are wrong....they gave me a look...;)

Adam, once you and family get some 'miles' on phones, please update us, ok? Would appreciate your real world thoughts. Thx!

jr59
09-20-2014, 10:26 AM
adam, once you and family get some 'miles' on phones, please update us, ok? Would appreciate your real world thoughts. Thx!

+1

p nut
09-20-2014, 12:25 PM
I'm really liking the battery usage % meters they put on iOS8. Helpful to see where most of the usage is.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz208/201C/4B8E5740-E80A-4C4A-BF16-513F6C401F92_zpsayudwx2h.png

shovelhd
09-20-2014, 05:33 PM
So I get my six yesterday, activate it, and I can't use it. The Sprint back end systems think it hasn't shipped yet. Back on the 5.

hokoman
09-20-2014, 05:40 PM
So I get my six yesterday, activate it, and I can't use it. The Sprint back end systems think it hasn't shipped yet. Back on the 5.

I was able to set up my wife's phone on sprint last night.

shovelhd
09-20-2014, 06:06 PM
So was I. Then it went away. NBD. Back on the 5.

Saguaro
09-20-2014, 06:15 PM
I'm really liking the battery usage % meters they put on iOS8. Helpful to see where most of the usage is.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz208/201C/4B8E5740-E80A-4C4A-BF16-513F6C401F92_zpsayudwx2h.png

Thanks for pointing out that feature, I didn't know it was there.

Tony T
09-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Ars Technica iOS 8, thoroughly reviewed (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/ios-8-thoroughly-reviewed/)

93legendti
09-22-2014, 08:56 AM
Adam, once you and family get some 'miles' on phones, please update us, ok? Would appreciate your real world thoughts. Thx!

Will do. So far, they are very happy. I used to be an apple guy, but I need a big screen, so I have a Galaxy S4 and Note 3. The 6 has me thinking...

I was shocked my wife wanted the bigger phone, but she loves hers.

No complaints, they set up from backups of their iPhone 5s's and they were off running.

The phone are thinner than the 5 and have really nice curves...

Neither my wife nor my daughter carry their phone in their pockets, so the size doesn't affect their usage...

I will ask them for some more feedback when they get back in the afternoon and report back...

5s vs 6 plus:
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/521fc40e244277ee526391a88e8e5841_zps2b687446.jpg

5s vs 6:

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/84e3c8610943adbd080525d0c213a8db_zps639ce18a.jpg

dawgie
09-22-2014, 09:21 AM
I've been using an iPhone 4 for about 4 years and definitely in the market for a new one. Initially I thought I would upgrade to the 5S once the 6 came out and prices dropped. However, I stopped at the AT&T store to look at the 6 over the weekend, and I was impressed by its thinness and light weight. Although much larger than my 4, it weighs a lot less. So now trying to decided whether to spend an extra $150 on the 6.

One issue that I don't like about the 6 is that it's only available in 16/64 GB, with no 32s. I can get the 5S in a 32, which is all the GB I need, for $150. The 6 in 64 GB is $300. Perhaps if I wait six months Apple will introduce a 32 GB version of the 6 but 'm not sure if my current phone will last that long.

thirdgenbird
09-22-2014, 09:32 AM
They always used to release a 16 for $200, 32 for $300 and a 64 for $400. Given the 64 came out at $300, i am skeptical a 32 will come out. I could see the 6s starting at 32, but not before then.

Rada
09-22-2014, 09:47 AM
I've been using an iPhone 4 for about 4 years and definitely in the market for a new one. Initially I thought I would upgrade to the 5S once the 6 came out and prices dropped. However, I stopped at the AT&T store to look at the 6 over the weekend, and I was impressed by its thinness and light weight. Although much larger than my 4, it weighs a lot less. So now trying to decided whether to spend an extra $150 on the 6.

One issue that I don't like about the 6 is that it's only available in 16/64 GB, with no 32s. I can get the 5S in a 32, which is all the GB I need, for $150. The 6 in 64 GB is $300. Perhaps if I wait six months Apple will introduce a 32 GB version of the 6 but 'm not sure if my current phone will last that long.

You had better read your contract really closely on what those prices might really be.

http://www.zdnet.com/how-much-does-an-iphone-6-really-cost-hint-its-way-more-than-199-7000033801/

p nut
09-22-2014, 09:49 AM

Just think of it as getting an extra 32gb for free. Also remember that the camera is higher resolution which will take up more memory. There are getting to be more and more apps that we "need" that also eat up memory. I'd say the extra $$ for a 64gb i6 is worth it.

One other note about the i5s--when I went from i4 to i5, the battery life got worse. I used to be able to go from 9-5pm on one charge with moderate use. With the 5, I had to recharge at noon or it'd be dead by 2-3pm. i6 should have much better battery life.

jlwdm
09-22-2014, 02:05 PM

One other note about the i5s--when I went from i4 to i5, the battery life got worse. I used to be able to go from 9-5pm on one charge with moderate use. With the 5, I had to recharge at noon or it'd be dead by 2-3pm. i6 should have much better battery life.

I use my 5s all day long (no games and not many videos) and just need to charge it at night.

Jeff

thirdgenbird
09-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Yeah, my 5s easily makes it from 7am to 11pm. I often make it 7 to about 2pm the following day.

p nut
09-22-2014, 02:10 PM
Maybe the 5s's are better than the 5. I don't know. I went in 4 times to the store to meet with a "genius" and swapped the phone 3 times and no better results with battery life.

jtakeda
09-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Maybe the 5s's are better than the 5. I don't know. I went in 4 times to the store to meet with a "genius" and swapped the phone 3 times and no better results with battery life.

I had the same issue with my 5.

Turns out it was a faulty battery. I paid nearly $100 to get it replaced but apple refunded me the money a couple weeks ago and sent me some bonus goodies because they acknowledged the battery issue.

Netdewt
09-22-2014, 02:28 PM
I held an actual 6 "small" today, and I felt it was very big. I really don't want to carry or use that. It's too big to use one-handed with any finesse.

redir
09-22-2014, 03:09 PM
I need a new phone too my four year old one is on the fritz. I don't think I will make the jump from Android to iOS so I'm looking at the HTC One and the Galaxy S5 at the moment.

bruin11
09-22-2014, 03:44 PM
You had better read your contract really closely on what those prices might really be.

http://www.zdnet.com/how-much-does-an-iphone-6-really-cost-hint-its-way-more-than-199-7000033801/

Actually the contract price is $50 cheaper for me if I price contract or no contract out for 24 months on ATT. Granted I only have one phone and 1GB of data.

No Contract Next 18 plan

Phone $37.50 x 20 = $750
Data and phone line $43.75 x 24 = $1050
Total $1800

Contract

Phone $300
data and phone line $58.75 x 24 = $1410
activation fee $40

Total $1750

R3awak3n
09-22-2014, 03:59 PM
I checked both phones today. I actually really like the 6 plus but its definitely too big for everyday use for me. I am sure it would come in handy sometimes but I do not need that. The normal 6 actually fits really well in my hand. I can see how it wouldnt on people with smaller hands but its a getting used to thing, in a year everyone will have the normal 6 and no one will be complaining, actually they will say I cant go back to anything smaller.

I hate the way the rounded corners look but it fits so well in the hand I am not mad at it.

bluesea
09-22-2014, 04:33 PM
I held an actual 6 "small" today, and I felt it was very big. I really don't want to carry or use that. It's too big to use one-handed with any finesse.

I'm still betting enough other smart phone users feel the same way, to where a 5s sized A8 ver. will be offered within 6-8 mo. This after production of the 6 becomes stabilized, and probably in off-date upgrade.

93legendti
09-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Apple sold 10 million iphone 6 phones this weekend.

My wife's 6 plus fits in her "yoga pants" pocket, even with a case on. She is happy with the size, would order it again and has zero regrets. She says the phone isn't earth shatteringly different - just bigger, but again, she is happy.

EDS
09-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Apple sold 10 million iphone 6 phones this weekend.

My wife's 6 plus fits in her "yoga pants" pocket, even with a case on. She is happy with the size, would order it again and has zero regrets. She says the phone isn't earth shatteringly different - just bigger, but again, she is happy.

Pockets on yoga pants?

p nut
09-22-2014, 05:03 PM
First glitch noticed. The phone doesn't auto rotate the view sometimes. Noticed it yesterday when after taking a few pictures and videos, they all came out in portrait when I know I was holding it in landscape. Sure enough, view rotate wasn't functioning at all. Reset the phone and now it works. Has happened two times. I wonder if this is a software issue or hardware (gyroscope)?

scho74
09-22-2014, 05:05 PM
These things are made outta butter. Dropped mine on the 2nd day of ownership. WTH. I never drop my phones.

PQJ
09-22-2014, 06:05 PM
First glitch noticed. The phone doesn't auto rotate the view sometimes. Noticed it yesterday when after taking a few pictures and videos, they all came out in portrait when I know I was holding it in landscape. Sure enough, view rotate wasn't functioning at all. Reset the phone and now it works. Has happened two times. I wonder if this is a software issue or hardware (gyroscope)?

Software. Happens on my 5s and miPad.

p nut
09-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Software. Happens on my 5s and miPad.

iOS8, then? Never had issues with the 5 or previous iPhones.

jimoots
09-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Ok so I got my iPhone 6 (128gb) in the mail yesterday.

First impression was "whoa, this thing is nice".

It's slightly bigger but much slimmer, and a little lighter than the iPhone 5/5s. The build quality is what you expect from Apple - really, really good.

I booted this one up as a 'new' iPhone as my previous profile had been across two generations of iPhones and four iOS upgrades... it was getting a bit long in the tooth and I had a niggling feeling that it had corrupted itself (or was going to corrupt itself).

I've initially noticed that when using the phone one handed, particularly when lying down, it's kinda hard to hold cause it's that tiny bit bigger and I've dropped it a few times. Fortunately when I lie down, I lie on soft things like couches or beds or pillows, so it hasn't been catastrophic. I think it's something you just get used to.

Battery life seems to be better than my 5, which makes me happy... my 5 was on it's last legs and would drain from 30% to 0% randomly.

And I know this is half a generation old, but anyone considering upgrading from a 5 (or previous)... the touch ID is really freakin cool. So much easier than tapping in a passcode everytime, and if you've got a corporate profile that requires a complicated passcode (letters, numbers + special character)... man... soooooooo much easier!

You can even setup multiple fingerprints, so you don't have to use the same thumb... or you can have index fingers too... or whatever.

The new iOS 8 messaging with predictive text seems nice, it seems to read my mind sometimes in terms of my answers to questions.

I haven't messed with the camera yet so can't comment.

Apart from that, I don't have much more to say, haven't delved too deep into things (only 24 hours in) but I can say if you're on the fence about upgrading... do it.

jimoots
09-22-2014, 06:25 PM
iOS8, then? Never had issues with the 5 or previous iPhones.

Try a fresh install of iOS8. Sometimes it gets corrupted during the upgrade.

cetreat
09-22-2014, 06:25 PM
I have been with Sprint and up until recently was so disenchanted with their service I was awaiting end of contract to jump ship. The package they are offering with iphone 6s seems interesting - wondering what others think?

93legendti
09-22-2014, 08:47 PM
I updated my iPad mini to ios8 and encountered many issues. Then I read that the upgrade isn't recommended for iPad 2's, ipad minis, or iPhone 4's. Luckily, I found an article that details how to downgrade to ios7...doing that now...

http://osxdaily.com/2014/09/21/downgrade-ios-8-back-to-ios-7-1-2/

oldpotatoe
09-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Ok so I got my iPhone 6 (128gb) in the mail yesterday.

First impression was "whoa, this thing is nice".

It's slightly bigger but much slimmer, and a little lighter than the iPhone 5/5s. The build quality is what you expect from Apple - really, really good.

I booted this one up as a 'new' iPhone as my previous profile had been across two generations of iPhones and four iOS upgrades... it was getting a bit long in the tooth and I had a niggling feeling that it had corrupted itself (or was going to corrupt itself).

I've initially noticed that when using the phone one handed, particularly when lying down, it's kinda hard to hold cause it's that tiny bit bigger and I've dropped it a few times. Fortunately when I lie down, I lie on soft things like couches or beds or pillows, so it hasn't been catastrophic. I think it's something you just get used to.

Battery life seems to be better than my 5, which makes me happy... my 5 was on it's last legs and would drain from 30% to 0% randomly.

And I know this is half a generation old, but anyone considering upgrading from a 5 (or previous)... the touch ID is really freakin cool. So much easier than tapping in a passcode everytime, and if you've got a corporate profile that requires a complicated passcode (letters, numbers + special character)... man... soooooooo much easier!

You can even setup multiple fingerprints, so you don't have to use the same thumb... or you can have index fingers too... or whatever.

The new iOS 8 messaging with predictive text seems nice, it seems to read my mind sometimes in terms of my answers to questions.

I haven't messed with the camera yet so can't comment.

Apart from that, I don't have much more to say, haven't delved too deep into things (only 24 hours in) but I can say if you're on the fence about upgrading... do it.

Have ya, ya know, tried calling anybody on it?

shovelhd
09-23-2014, 07:16 AM
I have been with Sprint and up until recently was so disenchanted with their service I was awaiting end of contract to jump ship. The package they are offering with iphone 6s seems interesting - wondering what others think?

I've been with Sprint a long time on an employee plan. There's still nothing out there that compares to it. The network continues to improve with LTE at home and work. They fixed my 6 activation issue quickly yesterday. It's kind of like owning a Volkswagen. Little nagging issues but overall the experience is good.

p nut
09-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Try a fresh install of iOS8. Sometimes it gets corrupted during the upgrade.

Reading the community board on Apple's site and looks like a prevalent issue. They'll probably send out a fix (hopefully) soon.

Meanwhile, I'm still really liking the 6 plus. For me, it comes down to 1-hand/2-hand operation. If you don't mind 2-handed, the size is something you get used to, so go with the 6 plus. If you're a one handed person, stick with the 5s or 6.

Uncle Jam's Army
09-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Reading the community board on Apple's site and looks like a prevalent issue. They'll probably send out a fix (hopefully) soon.

Meanwhile, I'm still really liking the 6 plus. For me, it comes down to 1-hand/2-hand operation. If you don't mind 2-handed, the size is something you get used to, so go with the 6 plus. If you're a one handed person, stick with the 5s or 6.

Will the 6 plus fit in a jersey pocket with a slim protective case (e.g., Lifeproof)? I think I read in the thread someone said a 6 will fit, but I haven't seen any word on a 6 plus.