PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dog owners in Santa Fe & Albuquerque

summilux
09-11-2014, 09:05 AM
My wife and I are taking our dog on cross country road trip this fall and are going to stop in NM specifically to see some Anasazi sites. National Monument rules prevent us from taking our dog onto the trails so we will need to kennel the dog for a few days in and around Alburquerque and Santa Fe. Any suggestions on a good kennel?

Also, we would be interested in a good day hike where the pup is permitted to go leash free.

Thankd

staggerwing
09-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Can't help with the pups, but consider putting Chaco Canyon (http://www.nps.gov/chcu/index.htm) on the list, if not already. It can be done as a day trip, but an overnight makes for a richer experience. Accommodations are camping only, but a small tent and a couple of medium weight bags would be fine for fall.

Never considered it at the time, but it looks like they encourage cycling around the main, paved, 9-mile loop. While to main loop is paved, park access is only by a selection of dirt roads, with the shortest being 13 miles. A normal mid-size car is fine, but watch the weather, and call for conditions.

Bring binoculars, quality more important than power, to enjoy the night skies. It gets wonderfully dark out there.

Also, if going to Bandelier, the detached remote section, Tsankawi, is worth a visit.

Enjoy. This is one of our most fondly remembered family trips.

brendonk
09-11-2014, 08:23 PM
I boarded my anti-social schnauzer at Pet Suites in Santa Fe and was thrilled to pull in after 5 days to find him running with the pack in the large outdoor exercise area. The staff was great and I was encouraged to call and check in anytime. I wouldn't hesitate to board my dog there again.

wtex
09-11-2014, 10:52 PM
We've had our critters at New Mexican Kennels in ABQ, they liked it (I assume).

Ken Robb
09-11-2014, 11:10 PM
is "anti-social schnauzer" redundant? Nah, I like "frisky, spirited dogs". :banana:

summilux
09-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Thanks SW. I have been to Chaco and we'll be going back there. I won't be bringing the bikes sadly. SWMBO isn't a biker....

Thanks for the kennel recs. We have a VERY social Whoodle (Wheaton terrier and poodle mix). I wish the National Monumnet were a bit more pet firendly, but I assume they had issues in the past with irresponsible owners... We've had no trouble with taking ours on day, long off leash hikes in the Adirondaks.