PDA

View Full Version : OT: Harry's

rounder
09-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Just wondering. Has anyone tried Harry's razors and blades. I read about them and (of course) they were rated excellent. I have been using Gillette forever without problems but they have gotten really expensive...over $20 for 10 blades. I like Gillette, but not in love with them. Saw Harry's and thought they might be on to something. Just because they are different does not mean they are good. Thoughts?

SlackMan
09-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Get an old Gillette safety razor off of eBay or an estate sale. Or buy a new safety razor. Then buy 50 very high quality replacement blades for about $20 when you need them. That $20 of blades is probably way more than a year's worth.

I was fortunate that my father had some old safety razors he was not using. It's fun for me to shave with a razor from the 1960s, but with 2014-era blades.

Google for more details or post questions if interested.

Don49
09-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Wow, there's a coincidence, just shaved for the 2nd time with a Harry's blade and handle. Love it so far, not a fan of more blades are better, but the Harry's is so far as good as Gilette Mach 3. Harry's four blades are not quite as maneuverable as the Mach 3 around the nose and chin but pretty close. The real test is longevity, the Mach 3's seem to last forever, not yet sure about Harry's. The handle (mine is orange) is very very nice, makes the stock Mach 3 handle feel like a toy. Oh, that reminds me that Katie from Harry's emailed me today and wants to be my personal assistant, so there's that. No word from Gilette.

Regarding safety razors, I really tried to like them, several of them, have an Edwin Jagger now with an assortment of high-end blades, but cut myself every time out. Maybe they are less expensive and shave closer than the cartridges but I can't stand the sight of blood in the shower.

unterhausen
09-10-2014, 10:16 PM
these secondary brands have a really hard time competing with Gillette or Schick on a technological level. Those two companies monitor all the available brands, their top of the line products are way ahead of anything else available. I assure you they are only worried about each other.

Gsinill
09-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Have been using Harry's now for 2 years. So far, so good.
Is there a slight difference in the quality of the blades compared to the big guys? Yes, but definitely not to a degree that justifies the huge price difference.

Not a big fan of their shaving cream though, smells funny (not bad, just weird) and can't compare to lathering up soap on your skin with a nice shaving brush every morning. Zen moment...

Nooch
09-11-2014, 07:06 AM
my old man sent me a code for a free harry's razor, so I'll see how it is when it comes in -- although for the most part, I'm not shaving my face (I use a clippers and take my head and face to the same length weekly). But, I've been thinking about bic'ing again, so this may be the test.

He loves it, though, and says it's the best he's used in a long time..

oldpotatoe
09-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Just wondering. Has anyone tried Harry's razors and blades. I read about them and (of course) they were rated excellent. I have been using Gillette forever without problems but they have gotten really expensive...over $20 for 10 blades. I like Gillette, but not in love with them. Saw Harry's and thought they might be on to something. Just because they are different does not mean they are good. Thoughts?

Only if ya use them on your legs...

dogdriver
09-11-2014, 07:34 AM
FWIW, I've been using Dollar Shave Club (another web-based shaving subscription deal) for about a year now. On the "4 blades every two months for $5.00" plan and they seem to work fine. I'm no shaving connoisseur, just happy if the shaver shaves, doesn't cut anything but the beard and doesn't hurt. The blades last about 5-6 shaves before I replace.

ColnagoFan
09-11-2014, 07:38 AM
these secondary brands have a really hard time competing with Gillette or Schick on a technological level. Those two companies monitor all the available brands, their top of the line products are way ahead of anything else available. I assure you they are only worried about each other.

I think that while the product isn't up to the standards of the "Big 2," they have to be worried about the delivery system. It's super-easy for me to sign up for Harry's or Dollar Shave Club, and get stuff mailed out to me, vs the hassle of remembering to pick up razors at the store, worrying about sales, etc.

To the OP: I was in this same boat recently. A longtime Gillette guy, I had been sent a coupon to try the new Schick one with 5 blades, Hydro or some BS. I really really liked it, worked great, all that. But the blades, man they're expensive. Like overly so for my budget. I tried going back to a Mach 3, but didn't feel the same level of comfort I'd been used to.
So I checked out DLC and Harry's, went back & forth a whole bunch, and finally decided to try out Dollar Shave Club. I got the nicer, 5-blade one. First shave went great, I loved the feel, etc. I don't feel like the razors start as sharp for as long as say my Schick stuff, but I'm not an every day shaver.
I probably use one blade per week, whereas with the Schick I might go two weeks. That probably cuts into the overall value of the package, but the convenience is worth it for me. Plus, paying $20+ for a pack of 4 razors at Target, or waiting until they're on sale, etc, that's a hassle. This is easy, mindless, and so far I'm happy with their product.

DLC actually uses rebranded Dorco blades, so if you were so inclined you could get the same features from that brand from say Amazon or something.

Man, this is a lot to write about razors...sheesh.

TL;DR: I like the Dollar Shave Club, but replace the blades more often than with my Schick.

ColnagoFan
09-11-2014, 07:44 AM
This is the Dorco stuff: http://www.dorcousa.com/razors-men/

bluesea
09-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Mach 3 blades work out to $2 ea at Sam's club or Costco. My '95 handle is still shiny clean and in great shape.

eippo1
09-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Get an old Gillette safety razor off of eBay or an estate sale. Or buy a new safety razor. Then buy 50 very high quality replacement blades for about $20 when you need them. That $20 of blades is probably way more than a year's worth.

I was fortunate that my father had some old safety razors he was not using. It's fun for me to shave with a razor from the 1960s, but with 2014-era blades.

This is pretty much what I do. I alternate between a Merkur and a Norelco electric. The nice thing about the safety razor is that once you get the hang of it, the blades are so cheap and sharp that I get a nice, clean shave every time.

The other thing is that the single sharper blade is much more gentle on my face than the 3-5 blades being dragged across my face like with Gillette. I have rosacea and the ones from the big companies caused flare ups every time.

Also, lathering up with Taylor of Old Bond's Avocado cream with a good badger brush is one of the best things ever.

rounder
09-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Thanks all. I just ordered from Harry's. See ya Gillette.

tumbler
09-11-2014, 08:57 AM
I tried revamping my entire routine a few years ago. I did some research and started using a double edge safety razor (http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Classic-Safety-Razor-Straight/dp/B002A8JO48), badger brush, the whole shebang for a while. There were definite pros and cons. You can buy very high quality blades for very cheap (I used Feather blades made in Japan and got them for something like 15 cent each). The single blade cuts pretty well and caused less irritation, but I was never able to comfortably shave against the grain. As a result, my skin felt great, but shaves were generally subpar. The whole process also required more time than I generally have in the morning.

I think success depends partially on your skill with the razor and partially on your skin and face type. I have now relegated the safety razor to "brush clearing" duty. It's actually a brilliant tool after a long weekend of not shaving when my normal cartridge razor will get stuck or yank the longer hairs out rather than cutting them. I do a quick pass with the grain using the safety razor, and do a cleanup against the grain with the Schick Hydro.

Ken Robb
09-11-2014, 10:46 AM
I don't mean to offend the purists (masochists?) but I gave up blades for Norelco electric shavers years ago. If you haven't tried a good electric recently you may be missing something good. BTW, different types of electrics work better on some faces than they do on others. I think Norlco still offers a free 30 day love it or return it trial period so that would be a good one to try first.

ColnagoFan
09-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Also, this is the best shaving cream I've used, bar none: www.bravesoldier.com/brave-shave/

No need to spend the $$ on the fancy Rapha/Assos/etc stuff, this is fantastic stuff, without the name/hype/cost.

Netdewt
09-11-2014, 11:01 AM
My favorite so far has been Gillette Mach 3. Very curious to try Harry's though.

Likes2ridefar
09-11-2014, 11:01 AM
I tried revamping my entire routine a few years ago. I did some research and started using a double edge safety razor (http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Classic-Safety-Razor-Straight/dp/B002A8JO48), badger brush, the whole shebang for a while. There were definite pros and cons. You can buy very high quality blades for very cheap (I used Feather blades made in Japan and got them for something like 15 cent each). The single blade cuts pretty well and caused less irritation, but I was never able to comfortably shave against the grain. As a result, my skin felt great, but shaves were generally subpar. The whole process also required more time than I generally have in the morning.

I think success depends partially on your skill with the razor and partially on your skin and face type. I have now relegated the safety razor to "brush clearing" duty. It's actually a brilliant tool after a long weekend of not shaving when my normal cartridge razor will get stuck or yank the longer hairs out rather than cutting them. I do a quick pass with the grain using the safety razor, and do a cleanup against the grain with the Schick Hydro.

this site convinced me last year to do the same and i regret not doing it much much earlier. i still have the same pack of blades I bought last year for less than $10, not sure how many are left, but it's SO MUCH cheaper than any other solution I've seen.

cheaper, better shave, works even with serious growth with much less resistance and pulling...

when/how did men get tricked into buying the crap gilette and other options on the market?

batman1425
09-11-2014, 11:48 AM
The same reason people buy pre-made, easy to use/assembly, big box, anything. Most people would rather pay for convenience, speed, and disposable product than take the time to learn a skill that will ultimately save them money and deliver an as good or superior result.

How many people by the same disposable crap over and over instead of buying a quality item once? Probably the majority of US consumers.

I suspect the folks here that are into safety razors are also into quality over convenience in many other aspects of their lives. Cameras, coffee presses, custom bikes ;)

Netdewt
09-11-2014, 11:57 AM
when/how did men get tricked into buying the crap gilette and other options on the market?

It's available, works fine, didn't know there was anything else. I switched from electric, which is what my dad always used.

SlackMan
09-11-2014, 12:03 PM
I don't mean to offend the purists (masochists?) but I gave up blades for Norelco electric shavers years ago. If you haven't tried a good electric recently you may be missing something good. BTW, different types of electrics work better on some faces than they do on others. I think Norlco still offers a free 30 day love it or return it trial period so that would be a good one to try first.

I alternate between a double-edged safety razor from the 1960s and a Panasonic Electric shaver that you can use wet. For those choosing electric shavers, if you haven't tried using one with shaving cream, you don't know what you're missing.

William
11-28-2014, 11:30 AM
I decided to try Harry's a while back (I can't tell you how I found out about them :) ) and things went well for a while. I shave my head every other day, and my face daily. A couple of weeks in I was shaving the back of my head as usual and all of a sudden I got bit. The razor cut a nickel sized piece of skin off the back of my head. ···, how the heck could that even happen? It was a fresh razor so??? Never had that happen with a Mach 3.

Anyway, I really wanted to like them and get away from the ridiculous pricing of Gillette. Now I use the Harry's just for my face and continue to use the Mach 3 for my head. Still searching....

William

dsimon
11-28-2014, 03:20 PM
I have been using for about two months and I really appreciate the savings. I really don't see that big of a diffidence between harry s and Gillette except the money Im saving

OtayBW
11-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Don't mean to quibble, but this is really more my idea of a purist:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/zelmo_2006/4925335d-7935-412c-936d-a531c37dcfc9.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/zelmo_2006/media/4925335d-7935-412c-936d-a531c37dcfc9.jpg.html)
Takes a little more time, but the best result that I've ever had....

rounder
11-28-2014, 07:15 PM
I have been using Harry's for about two months now. The razor and blades feel quality, but to me it requires a little different technique. I like the way both Gillette and Harry's work, but the last time I saw Gillette sensors they were in the $30s for 10 blades. They were in the $20s when I switched over to Harry's. So far, Harry's provides better value and like the fact that I now have a personal assistant.

JMacII
01-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Anyone have an update on their Harry's experience?

dsimon
01-03-2016, 07:34 PM
Still using only one negative is the blade seemed to rust quickly maybe just a bad batch I emailed them it's the first time it's happened so I'm still happy

rounder
01-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Still happy with Harry's. I am changing my blades once a month just to see how long they last. Personal greetings correspondence with them has been great. I lost my shaving kit during the last air flite to Providence. I requested a green one...the sent me an orange one. I told them that I previously had an orange one...so they sent me a green one at no additional charge. I know they are in business to make money. So far customer service has been great. I am happy and aint gonna change. Good luck Harry's.

wc1934
01-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Give them a try - 15 bucks will get you the handle, 3 blades, and some cream - free shipping and money back if you don't like them.
They do take some getting used to - the angle of the blade is not like my mach 3 (it almost has to lie flat to my face to get a smooth shave). I shave every weekday and i got about a month out of 1 razor. On the last 2, the plastic broke so it told me was time to replace the blades. They are good, but more flexible than the mach 3. Personally I like a heavier, more stable, firmer razor.

JMacII
01-03-2016, 08:27 PM
Thanks boys. I'm in.

EPOJoe
01-03-2016, 08:34 PM
Like Otay said, stop screwing around and shave like a man. :D

Here's a basic primer I shot a while back, with my brother using an oldie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxVBR4aGqas

makoti
01-03-2016, 08:35 PM

I concur. This is the best, long-term shave-for-cheap way to do it.

Mikej
01-03-2016, 09:04 PM
I prefer the GIllette Fusion. I buy a huge pack of 15 cartridges at Wal MArt for $44. My face just doesn't agree with a lot of shaving due to my curly type hair. I don't mind that they're not a Japanese forged straight razor.

572cv
01-03-2016, 09:34 PM
My great grandfather was an attorney. Family lore has it that he helped this guy named King Gillette get a patent. :beer: this was back when guys were inventing things like zippers.....

Louis
01-03-2016, 09:46 PM
All this talk about being a "purist." See below for what is really the only way to do that.

More seriously, I've had a beard for about 30 years. I just trim the edges and my throat area once a week with an electric, give the whole thing a trimming every two or three weeks, and I'm good to go.

Keeps me warmer in the winter and it's a big time saver.

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/a3e0f5952d82a98a71b43f4a127ee4e2a2f20fb3_m.jpg

Mikej
01-03-2016, 10:09 PM
All this talk about being a "purist." See below for what is really the only way to do that.

More seriously, I've had a beard for about 30 years. I just trim the edges and my throat area once a week with an electric, give the whole thing a trimming every two or three weeks, and I'm good to go.

Keeps me warmer in the winter and it's a big time saver.

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/a3e0f5952d82a98a71b43f4a127ee4e2a2f20fb3_m.jpg

Where did you score that hat?

Louis
01-03-2016, 10:18 PM
Where did you score that hat?

Surely you've heard of the movie "The Revenant" ;)

yakstone
01-04-2016, 07:07 AM
I switched to Harry's two months ago and so far so good.
The blades and shaving style are different than the Gillette Fusion that I used to use but the blades are much more reasonably priced.
The trial goes on.

JMacII
01-04-2016, 07:21 AM
Like Otay said, stop screwing around and shave like a man. :D

Here's a basic primer I shot a while back, with my brother using an oldie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxVBR4aGqas

Nice video. I don't have the time for that every day, but it looks like a pleasant way to shave.

AJM100
01-04-2016, 07:30 AM
+1 on safety razor, wet shave . . . bought 100 stainless blazes a while ago for like $20 bucks or less . . .

get better, closer shave for a lot less. Go old school . . .

I think Chris King makes a line of safety razors and mugs . . . :beer:

DreaminJohn
01-04-2016, 11:40 AM
Do any of you guys that have made the switch have Gillette baseline for comparison? As in, I got 2 weeks of daily use from a Mach 3 Turbo blade (my usage) and I get xx from a Harry's blade.

Thanks.

drewellison
01-04-2016, 11:54 AM
I've been on Harry's for about a year now. I get 2-3 weeks from their blades, easy.

Still looking for a good shave soap to use with my boar bristle brush. Any recommendations?

Seramount
01-04-2016, 12:02 PM
the best thing for shaving is to do it in the shower.

for me, it makes a notable difference in closeness.

azrider
01-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Subscribing to this.

I tried Dollar Shave Club and no matter what blade they sent.....Twin, Executive, etc. All knicked and cut my face so badly I quit after three months.

I reluctantly went back to Costco this past weekend and got the multi-pack.

Guessing I should give Harry's a go.....

wc1934
01-04-2016, 02:35 PM
Do any of you guys that have made the switch have Gillette baseline for comparison? As in, I got 2 weeks of daily use from a Mach 3 Turbo blade (my usage) and I get xx from a Harry's blade.

Thanks.
Preface - I am cheap and try to get the most mileage/bang for my buck as possible.

First day I shaved with Gillette, 2nd day with Harry's, 3rd with G, 4th with H's etc. etc. After 3 weeks no real discernible difference, but the edge (no pun intended) went to Gillette.

livingminimal
01-04-2016, 02:39 PM
I'm a DSC guy. I like it, but don't love it...might try Harrys..the problem is I have so many damn blades left from DSC...I cut down my shipments to the bare minimum. Don't even recall what that is.

I typically shave face once or twice a week (face, sink, shaving cream) and once a week with my legs (shower, trader joe's soap)

Not much in the way of knicks or cuts but sometimes I feel a lot of pulling, especially on upper lip...

wc1934
01-04-2016, 02:40 PM
I've been on Harry's for about a year now. I get 2-3 weeks from their blades, easy.

Still looking for a good shave soap to use with my boar bristle brush. Any recommendations?

I use Art of Shaving's pre-shave oil - 20 bucks for a little bottle - works well but does tend to clog the razor.
For soap, Pears Glycerine Soap is excellent - really don't even need the oil.

dcama5
01-04-2016, 05:53 PM
I have been using Harry's for about a year now and everything has been great. I use the gel, not the shave cream, which seemed to me to be thick and not easy to spread. The blades last for ever - I can get about two weeks easily out of one blade (keep in mind that there are 4 blades in each one). I just ordered more this morning - free shipping.

MikeD
01-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Harry's is great and the blades last long. The only thing the Gillette Fusion has that's better is the under the nose trimmer when you flip the blade over. Too bad Gillette got greedy and priced themselves too high being an almost monopoly. Hope they lose market share big time.

Ronsonic
01-04-2016, 08:37 PM
Haven't read past the first page but put my vote in for Harry's. I've been very happy with them for almost a year.

daker13
01-04-2016, 09:28 PM

Thanks.

I went from Gilette sensor to Harrys a couple years ago. I actually think the sensors gave a slightly better shave, but the price was ridiculous. Also think Harrys last a couple shaves longer.

oldpotatoe
01-05-2016, 07:50 AM
I'm a DSC guy. I like it, but don't love it...might try Harrys..the problem is I have so many damn blades left from DSC...I cut down my shipments to the bare minimum. Don't even recall what that is.

I typically shave face once or twice a week (face, sink, shaving cream) and once a week with my legs (shower, trader joe's soap)

Not much in the way of knicks or cuts but sometimes I feel a lot of pulling, especially on upper lip...

If ya can, ya ought to:D. Nice to be retired..

I don't shave unless my grand daughters complain about me being 'fuzzy', plus since it's all grey, I look homeless. I shave maybe once a week..anything works, lasts a long time.