PDA

View Full Version : leaking lezyne

MadRocketSci
09-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Hey all, need some info to figure out a pump issue. I have a one year old Lezyne alloy drive floor pump that has sprung a small leak. The leak is happening at the part that allows the flip-chuck to rotate - it's not at the chuck itself, but the silver piece that the chuck threads into, and at the bottom where it interfaces with the hose adaptor. Basically that part started leaking oil, which also contains some kind of fine black powder. The part also spins a lot more freely now. When it first started leaking it was leaking pretty badly...i unthreaded the chuck, and noticed there is an o-ring at the top of the interface, but nothing at the bottom. At the bottom, it's currently just a thread-on-thread interface with no seal, so after tightening as much as possible by hand, it's useable and leaking at about 1 psi per minute. I'm thinking that there was some kind of seal down there, maybe a tiny plastic piece or some kind of sealant....Can anyone who's familiar with these Lezyne flip-chuck interfaces let me know if I need a replacement piece or have to apply something to get it to seal? Thanks.

jtolive
09-09-2014, 01:52 PM
I had one older than that the was leaking and Lezyne sent a new updatred hose/chuck for free. Try contacting their customer service - they are really take care of their customers.

Or ditch the chuck and get a Hirame...

ultraman6970
09-09-2014, 01:55 PM
+1 change the chuck.

There's no bad pump, even the crappy cheap ones work fine if the chuck is descent. I have a 30 bucks pump with a silca chuck for over 6 years and all is just fine.

Cheap pump + silca or hirame chuck is the way to go.

alioup
09-09-2014, 02:16 PM
They recently redesigned their replacement hoses to address the problem. Funny thing is the cheaper model (steel floor drive) comes with a far superior plastic connector between the chuck and hose, and doesn't break like the alloy ones.

martinez
09-09-2014, 05:02 PM
That's what recently happened with my lezyne mini pump...which got me pretty frustrated so I just bought a topeak road morph which worked out to be a way more convenient design and could pump my tires better than the lezyne pump could. Pretty bummed about the lezyne pump after reading so many good reviews about it online

Hank Scorpio
09-09-2014, 07:15 PM
I dumped the stock head because it would occasionally unscrew the cores. I have had bad luck with their gauges. The original stopped reading anything and the replacement that they sent bounces all over the place. I have just been going by feel lately.

oldpotatoe
09-10-2014, 08:42 AM
I had one older than that the was leaking and Lezyne sent a new updatred hose/chuck for free. Try contacting their customer service - they are really take care of their customers.

Or ditch the chuck and get a Hirame...

Ot Tanaka..ala Hirame for less $

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/tanaka-qr-presta-pump-head-modeled-on-the?gclid=CP34473j1sACFeg7MgodOCcAJA