PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning mesh on shoes?

teleguy57
09-09-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm able to keep the white leather on my Fizik's looking great with a Mr. Clean magic eraser, but the mesh is getting pretty grungy looking. Any tips you've found that work well for cleaning mesh?

45K10
09-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Supposedly you can put them in the dishwasher.

However, I have never done this. I can't stand clean, new looking cycling shoes. I think they look much better with some dirt on them.

teleguy57
09-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Supposedly you can put them in the dishwasher.

However, I have never done this. I can't stand clean, new looking cycling shoes. I think they look much better with some dirt on them.

No way I'm doing this with kangaroo leather shoes. As for looks, some dirt showing that you ride, I'm with you. Mine are starting to look crappy, so I do want to clean them up somewhat.

Mikej
09-09-2014, 02:08 PM
I just dunk my Sidi's in a bucket of bleach water for a few hours- mainly to rid smell, but they look really clean

wallymann
09-09-2014, 02:23 PM
I just dunk my Sidi's in a bucket of bleach water for a few hours- mainly to rid smell, but they look really clean

this works, no need to soak too long. sudsy hot water and not too much bleach, brush vigorously...allow to air-dry...VOILA!

i do my helmets this way, too.

cdn_bacon
09-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Try white liquid shoe polish.

Stuff the offending shoe with an old sock or shirt and paint away. Let it dry for 24 hours and star riding. It hasn't leaked on me.

vqdriver
09-09-2014, 02:27 PM
i would try a hot soapy water and toothbrush. maybe hit it with a dilute bleach solution next.

lhuerta
09-09-2014, 02:32 PM
409 and toothbrush

berserk87
09-09-2014, 03:09 PM
So far I have only used a small brush and just warm water and Dawn dish detergent. It doesn't get my Sidi's perfect, but it gets them pretty clean looking. I figure as long as I'm not wearing them to the prom, I should be OK.

nooneline
09-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Oxy Clean and a toothbrush.

Don't use that toothbrush on your teeth.

berserk87
09-09-2014, 08:43 PM

Oxy Clean is good stuff. Hadn't thought about that for my shoes. I just used some to bring a white Castelli jersey back to life this past week.

teleguy57
09-09-2014, 09:13 PM

Got it on the toothbrush. Is the Oxy Clean ok as a dentifrice? :)

Louis
09-09-2014, 09:19 PM
An alternative perspective: I spend way more time keeping my cleats clean than I do the uppers. They're shoes, they're supposed to get dirty. A quick wipe with damp paper towel and I'm good to go.

rustychisel
09-09-2014, 09:40 PM
A quick wipe with damp paper towel and I'm good to go.

Words to live by, at least that's what I tell myself in the morning when I wake up late and hungover. :hello:

tiretrax
09-09-2014, 09:42 PM
I bought a pair of white Sidi's a few years back. I think it was the second time that I rode with them that I was caught in a "pop up" thundershower. Needless to say, they were grotty after the ride. I put them in the washing machine, but then, they're made with aritificial leather. So, I suggest stuffing them with paper, covering the leather, turning them upside down, and spraying them with dilute bleach, brushing vigorously with water to scrub off the dirt and rinse them.

Louis
09-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Words to live by, at least that's what I tell myself in the morning when I wake up late and hungover. :hello:

Like this?

http://www.autostraddle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/party-hangover.jpg

rustychisel
09-09-2014, 10:41 PM
sort of, but the NSFW version... ;)

Llewellyn
09-10-2014, 01:09 AM
Like this?

http://www.autostraddle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/party-hangover.jpg

Aaaaaahhh, that last party at Rustychisel's place was a cracker :banana:

wildboar
09-10-2014, 05:40 PM
I bought a pair of white Sidi's a few years back. I think it was the second time that I rode with them that I was caught in a "pop up" thundershower. Needless to say, they were grotty after the ride. I put them in the washing machine, but then, they're made with aritificial leather. So, I suggest stuffing them with paper, covering the leather, turning them upside down, and spraying them with dilute bleach, brushing vigorously with water to scrub off the dirt and rinse them.

Wow. I got some blindingly white ergo 3's and then experienced the exact same thing.

I think I read, somewhere on the internet, that a guy has had success washing cycling shoes in a bucket of warm water and shampoo. I haven't tried this yet, but I may soon. Maybe remove the cleats and cover the slots in the soles with waterproof tape first? Seems like it would be less chemically reactive than bleach or anything solvent-like.

soulspinner
09-11-2014, 05:45 AM

On a weird note, my shoes don't smell but the gloves? Yeow.....:p

Louis
09-11-2014, 08:21 AM
On a weird note, my shoes don't smell but the gloves? Yeow.....:p

One simple/easy thing that helps with gloves is to have several pairs and rotate through them so they have more time to dry out between rides. In my case that doesn't prevent 100% of the stink , but it does help quite a bit.

Hindmost
09-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks to this thread I got up my courage and yesterday I sank my several-years-old, white SIDI's in a bucket of dilute Oxiclean and brushed them clean. Why didn't I do this sooner?!