PDA

View Full Version : Direct mount fd w/compact crank help

bikenut
09-09-2014, 11:40 AM
My direct mount ultegra fd will not adjust low enough to accommodate my ultegra compact crank. I see that Sram makes an adapter. Will it work with Shimano also?

ultraman6970
09-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Some steel colnagos had that problem, the solution for many was just use a dremel or a file and remove like 5 mm off the tab so the FD could be set lower.

No idea about the adapter you are talking about.

bikser
09-09-2014, 12:19 PM
Direct Mount? or Braze-On? Direct mount I've only seen in the mountain bike world where it bolts direclty into a hole in the frame. Braze-on you can do what Ultraman suggests. Some derailleurs come with two mounting holes two to lower them.

ultraman6970
09-09-2014, 12:27 PM
He said ultegra so I'm assuming braze on. Never seen road stuff that is direct mount eventohught campagnolo and some frame manufacturers came with such a thing back in the day.

vqdriver
09-09-2014, 02:19 PM
could also use a sram force front der from a couple years ago. they have two mounting holes for this reason

marciero
09-09-2014, 04:25 PM
I had this issue with my steel colnago w/braze-on. Since it was a temporary compact crank installation, i figured it would be good enough to simply adjust the limit screw to overshift into the big ring, thinking i could trim it back after the shift. It ended up working surprisingly well-trim was not even necessary