PDA

View Full Version : DT ProLock Nip's -- Which wrench?

Nooch
09-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Through a ton of googling, I can't seem to find the correct size for a brass dt swiss pro lock nipple. I've previously used the black park tool wrench (3.23mm / .127"), but just bought the 4-sided version of the same wrench and it just doesn't fit. The next size up (in 4-sided spokes, Red) spoke wrench is 3.45 mm / .136", but the normal 3-sided one I have seems way too big. The green one, also, at 3.30/.130", seems too big.

Any thoughts, or is this just a matter of my first DT wrench being well broken in? (or, is it that black nips are inherently a hair larger because of whatever the black coating (paint/powder etc) is?)

guido
09-09-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm about to build my first set of wheels with DT Pro Lock nipples over the weekend, so I confirmed with Excel Cycles (who I got my materials from). They say the Park Black is fine as there is no external dimension change with the DT Pro Lock vs their DT standard nipple...

oldpotatoe
09-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Through a ton of googling, I can't seem to find the correct size for a brass dt swiss pro lock nipple. I've previously used the black park tool wrench (3.23mm / .127"), but just bought the 4-sided version of the same wrench and it just doesn't fit. The next size up (in 4-sided spokes, Red) spoke wrench is 3.45 mm / .136", but the normal 3-sided one I have seems way too big. The green one, also, at 3.30/.130", seems too big.

Any thoughts, or is this just a matter of my first DT wrench being well broken in? (or, is it that black nips are inherently a hair larger because of whatever the black coating (paint/powder etc) is?)

Black park wrench size. I've built many with these nipps and have used the black Park wrench.

Nooch
09-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Black park wrench size. I've built many with these nipps and have used the black Park wrench.

really strange that the black 4-sided isn't fitting.. wondering if it's a manufacturing issue...

oldpotatoe
09-09-2014, 02:39 PM
really strange that the black 4-sided isn't fitting.. wondering if it's a manufacturing issue...

Is it not fitting or just really tight? I got a Spokey to try and it is really tight, hard to get off once on. Same for the 4 sided Pedro's.
My favorite is the Park or a newish DT, the old style not the new one.

ergott
09-09-2014, 02:51 PM
I have the old DT (pre Spokey) and the current one. The fit is fine with those. I would check the Park wrench you have. The DT nipple you have should be the same as any other common DT nipple you would get. Have you tried that wrench with other nipples?

Nooch
09-09-2014, 03:07 PM
I have the old DT (pre Spokey) and the current one. The fit is fine with those. I would check the Park wrench you have. The DT nipple you have should be the same as any other common DT nipple you would get. Have you tried that wrench with other nipples?

Tried it on the 'stock' nipples that come in a box of dt spokes -- was tight, but went on.. on the black prolock's that are on the wheel right now, it feels like it would be forcing it to get it on, and taking off a chunk of the black on the way...

whereas again, the normal 3-sided park wrench fits fine.

ergott
09-09-2014, 03:25 PM
I bet it's the wrench.

ultraman6970
09-09-2014, 03:52 PM
I have use those and I used the usual wrench.