PDA

View Full Version : no more alloy spd-sl?

AngryScientist
09-09-2014, 10:38 AM
this is depressing. looks like the new crop of shimano spd-sl pedals are all carbon 5800, 6800 and 9000.

Dear Shimano, bring back the 7810: Best. Pedal. Ever.

ceolwulf
09-09-2014, 10:50 AM
The entry level ones I think are still alloy. They look almost exactly like 105s a couple generations ago.

Keith A
09-09-2014, 11:08 AM
this is depressing. looks like the new crop of shimano spd-sl pedals are all carbon 5800, 6800 and 9000.

Dear Shimano, bring back the 7810: Best. Pedal. Ever.Amen brother.

juanj
09-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Are there specific issues with the carbon bodies? Less durable than alloy?

guido
09-09-2014, 11:21 AM
I love my 7810s too. I'm about to try a pair of 7900 carbon in my current project... Be interesting to see the difference...

AngryScientist
09-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Are there specific issues with the carbon bodies? Less durable than alloy?

they just dont look as good IMO.

juanj
09-09-2014, 11:45 AM
they just dont look as good IMO.

Ah, I see. On the other hand, my pewter grey Ultegra alloy peddles are looking really scuffed and ratty these days, and I rarely set the bike on its side. I'm in the market for new pedals, and will probably go with whatever is available at the Ultegra or Dura Ace level.

pdmtong
09-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Metal bike = 7810

Carbon bike = 7900/9000

Glad I stocked up!

odin99
09-09-2014, 12:03 PM

Dear Shimano, bring back the 7810: Best. Pedal. Ever.

in your opinion are they the best because of looks or function? (haven't tried em)

flydhest
09-09-2014, 01:52 PM
I can't see my pedals when I am riding.

AngryScientist
09-09-2014, 01:57 PM
in your opinion are they the best because of looks or function? (haven't tried em)

both. smoothest bearings ever and they take tons of abuse. love them.

bluesea
09-09-2014, 06:06 PM
^ For some reason my 7900 developed a bunch of rust in the axle openings, unlike my 7810 which has seen much more mileage. Should have picked up a spare 7810 when I had the chance.

Louis
09-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Glad I stocked up!

You should see my collection of BNIB Look Delta cleat pedals! And a handful of used ones too...

A while back I bought some used DA SPDs (not sure what model #) to try them out, but haven't gotten around to do it yet.

red7
09-09-2014, 06:21 PM
I think function is as good as if not better than looks on this pedal: large platform, decent weight, durable. So happy I switched from Speedplays. I haven't tried the carbon models, but given Shimano doesn't sell models that aren't fully consumer ready, I'd expect the same high standard of service and performance. But if you like the looks of the old pedal, carbon will not do.

Cicli
09-09-2014, 06:41 PM
I think function is as good as if not better than looks on this pedal: large platform, decent weight, durable. So happy I switched from Speedplays. I haven't tried the carbon models, but given Shimano doesn't sell models that aren't fully consumer ready, I'd expect the same high standard of service and performance. But if you like the looks of the old pedal, carbon will not do.

I just traded a set of Speedplay Zeros with four rides for a set of 6800's. That guy got screwed. I was on carbon Looks for a while. They were nice but not as nice as the Shimanos.

Dead Man
09-09-2014, 06:55 PM
I have 7800s on my road bike... they're totally fine for non-traffic riding, but SPDSLs just plain suck for traffic and traffic control interface. Versus double-sided clipless.... they take SOOO long to get moving fast again. Not to mention the fun of thinking you're centered on the pedal and putting your weight down, only to slip off and crash back down on your saddle, as you pathetically wobble around through a 8-lane intersection with dozens of bike-haters burning bike hatred through your jersey.

I swap peddles out if I need walkable shoes, but there are times when I don't need/want walkable shoes, but will need to do some traffic riding.... hoping speedplays will be the answer.

Look for my 7800 pedals in the classifieds hopefully soon

BTW.... is there a difference between the 7800 and 7810?

ceolwulf
09-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Not exactly on topic but, Time Xpresso vs. Shimano, what's your guys' views? I had SPD-SL, now have only Time ATACs, but will be needing a new pair of road pedals shortly.

tbike4
09-09-2014, 09:35 PM
To The B- the answer is yes there is a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDBDoxGH3t8

regularguy412
09-09-2014, 09:50 PM
I have 2 pairs of DA 7401's from over 15 yrs ago. Both still going strong. One right pedal does have one of the 2 internal springs broken, but it still works well enough to use on the trainer bike. Other pair is currently on my backup bike-- which I ride 2-3 times a week.

With triple bearings, I'm not sure I'll ever wear them out. And I've only had to adjust the free play on the spindle once on one pair in all these years.

Pretty amazing. But that's why i went with the DA Carbons on the CSI. Not necessarily for the look or for the bling factor, but the bearings and the spindle/body interface are bullet proof. Plus the cleats are much easier to walk around in.

Mike in AR:beer:

rustychisel
09-09-2014, 09:56 PM
I have 7800s on my road bike... they're totally fine for non-traffic riding, but SPDSLs just plain suck for traffic and traffic control interface. Versus double-sided clipless.... they take SOOO long to get moving fast again. Not to mention the fun of thinking you're centered on the pedal and putting your weight down, only to slip off and crash back down on your saddle, as you pathetically wobble around through a 8-lane intersection with dozens of bike-haters burning bike hatred through your jersey.

I swap peddles out if I need walkable shoes, but there are times when I don't need/want walkable shoes, but will need to do some traffic riding.... hoping speedplays will be the answer.

Look for my 7800 pedals in the classifieds hopefully soon

BTW.... is there a difference between the 7800 and 7810?

You make your point forcefully, but you probably need to work on your style and develop some clipping in drills to practise.

CunegoFan
09-09-2014, 10:13 PM
I have 2 pairs of DA 7401's from over 15 yrs ago. Both still going strong. One right pedal does have one of the 2 internal springs broken, but it still works well enough to use on the trainer bike. Other pair is currently on my backup bike-- which I ride 2-3 times a week.

LOL. I have a pair of 7401s on one bike. The paint was chewed up from crashing and general wear, so I sanded all the paint off. Now they are bare aluminum. I have never serviced them. They won't die.

09-09-2014, 11:42 PM
The 7810's were the last and best of the all-alloy SPD-SL's. They have the wider platform and the stainless rub plate rather than the black plastic hourglass shaped one on the 7750's and so on.

However, I've used both on both road and track and I'm just fine with the 9000's. The width of the bearing surface is identical. They are every bit as durable. The outboard bearing is still well-inboard on the 7810's. I think the outboard bearing is farther out on the 9000's, though I haven't actually taken them apart to see. And the carbon surface seems to have less clicking and squeaking and mate a little better with the plastic cleat than the metal pedals did.

Would I bother to change from 9000's to 7810's? Only for cosmetic reasons if I was so moved. Would I bother to go from 7810's to 9000's? I'd be happy to. And I have.

On the track I find I can do more games with toe straps with the 9000's, by the way. And I've certainly seen enough 9000's crashed that I don't worry about durability. They are everything the 7810's are.