PDA

View Full Version : FAT CHANCE BIKES is back yo.

seanile
09-09-2014, 09:47 AM
a "rmplum" posted up on vsalon, and i wanted to get the news over here.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/attachments/f46/72036d1410267320-wake-up-call-vintage-mtb-riders-chance.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/fatchancebicycles

sandyrs
09-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Whoa!

R3awak3n
09-09-2014, 09:57 AM
awesome. Still want to find a slim chance frame.

berserk87
09-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Sweet news! They had some really cool model names back in the day.

tele
09-09-2014, 10:13 AM
I hoping for a new Chris Cross! :banana:

thirdgenbird
09-09-2014, 10:14 AM
650b rigid with thier traditional paint please

radsmd
09-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Great! Remember running into him at China Camp last year (while I was riding my Bontrager Race Lite BTW), and talking to him about his comeback. Glad he is getting back into the game. I wish him well and hope to add a modern Fat to my stable, to join my retro friction shift Wicked.

echelon_john
09-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Potentially fantastic. I seem to recall some chirping that Kirk Pacenti might get involved with this.

I want one of these, in this color scheme:

merlinmurph
09-09-2014, 11:07 AM
They never really went away, they just morphed into IF....

firerescuefin
09-09-2014, 11:09 AM
I always wonder with stuff like this....is the passion renewed...or the need to make some money is drawing him back in. You'd hope that the former is a large component in the decision.

John H.
09-09-2014, 11:11 AM
I see him at the grocery store in my town.
He is a rolfer- has an office across the street.

Highgear
09-09-2014, 11:18 AM
This is fantastic news. I have been hoping all along that this day would come!

DRZRM
09-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Wow, I still have my Wicked! Rigid 29er?

edward12
09-09-2014, 11:24 AM
I am sooooooo going to get one...! :)

the bottle ride
09-09-2014, 11:41 AM
I love the idea of a rebirth of the brand.

odin99
09-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Potentially fantastic. I seem to recall some chirping that Kirk Pacenti might get involved with this.

you'll have to wear clown shoes with that bike!:banana:

weaponsgrade
09-09-2014, 12:02 PM
excited to see what comes out. I wonder if they're going to do something like Ibis, ie carbon, full suspension. Or stick with steel, but have new 27.5, 29er wheel sizes. When ibis relaunched I was disappointed that it wasn't with a rigid 29er. But the new mojos grew on me and I quickly found myself wanting one. My brother recently picked up a Ripley and he raves about it. A yo eddy was one of the bikes I drooled over BITD. Although I'd love to get one, I think the days of me riding a fully rigid bike has passed except for on mellow trails.

Keith A
09-09-2014, 12:19 PM
They never really went away, they just morphed into IF....Which has since morphed as well.

Dave B
09-09-2014, 12:35 PM
www.fatchancebicycles.com

Cool stuff to come.

buddybikes
09-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Fantastic. I met Chris in 1981, he painted a frame that I made. I tried one of his proto mountain bikes and a friend had custom road bike that was completely beautiful. Actually build my first bike frame in the shop that he took over from Tanguy cycles in Sommerville. Currently ride a Fat Chance ti.

Wish I needed another bike, if I got one I would lose a wife.

Jnnybrns
09-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Over on twitter as well under @fatchancebikes1697886509

DRZRM
09-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Picked this frame up from the Somerville factory in 1992 or 93 (just before the move to NY) and met Chris in person. Still have it, it has gears again but is pretty period correct.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/drzrm/P1010536-1.jpg

Who else still has a Fat?

buddybikes
09-09-2014, 01:56 PM
email subscription for Fat Chance came back:

357 Sausalito Blvd.
Sausalito, CA

Another builder out there?

RedRider
09-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Over the last few years there were a few attempts to start rebuilding the Fat Chance/City brand. A few different builders were involved but I haven't heard anything lately until today. I don't know who is building the frames but I do know that in all previous discussions, Chris Chance required control over the design and spec so that the quality and authenticity remained.

DonH
09-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Best wishes to Chris Chance for the re-launch!

This is the 19" Wicked that I bought in 90 or 91. I love this bike.
It was my 1st really nice mountain bike.
Its been repainted once and has not been ridden in quite some time, but I tried to keep it built with parts from the same era.

Ryun
09-09-2014, 02:57 PM
I love my Chance road bike that Ive had for the last 20 years. May be the only bike I would never sell.

It will be interesting to see what direction he goes with the relaunch.
In lots of ways, the impact of Fat City over the long term has at least as much to do with the sucess of his progeny (IF, Firefly, ANT, etc) than yo eddys.
Where in the midst of those other offspring Chance chooses to plant his flag will be at least as interesting as the product itself.

Ryun

HenryA
09-09-2014, 03:14 PM
This is great news!

Signed,

Former Fat owner X2

Corso
09-09-2014, 03:39 PM
I’m so glad for Chris. Just wish he was back on the “right” coast…
Mine: 86 FAT Chance.

blilrat
09-09-2014, 04:02 PM
A couple of years old, but maybe a clue as to what he'll build. He talks like he would build them himself.

http://youtu.be/o-MIbc54Yck?t=6m26s

cnighbor1
09-09-2014, 05:17 PM
How about some chance Photos Fat or slim
Charles
and thanks ahead of your posting

jlwdm
09-09-2014, 05:45 PM
I love my Chance road bike that Ive had for the last 20 years. May be the only bike I would never sell.

It will be interesting to see what direction he goes with the relaunch.
In lots of ways, the impact of Fat City over the long term has at least as much to do with the sucess of his progeny (IF, Firefly, ANT, etc) than yo eddys.
Where in the midst of those other offspring Chance chooses to plant his flag will be at least as interesting as the product itself.

Ryun

Do you really expect anyone to believe that you have kept a bike for 20 years?

Jeff

pbarry
09-09-2014, 05:50 PM
As a former employee, sending my best wishes to the new Fat. Best scenario would be for Chris to design the line, and contract out the building. :beer:

red7
09-09-2014, 06:17 PM
It will be exciting to see how the FAT ethos translates to modern designs and componentry. A lot has changed in mountain bikes since the original FAT mountain bikes and I am curious how FAT 2.0 will adapt to those changes-disc brakes, OS tubing, dropper posts, 29er/650b wheels, not to mention non-ferrous materials.

echelon_john
09-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Here are my predictions, which are worth exactly what you paid for them:

- Front suspension steel 29er. This will be based on traditional Fat quick-steering geometry, as a direct counterpoint to the trend of slacker and slacker head tube angles. Disc brakes. It will be called the Wicked BigWheel, and available in Grello, purple or black.

- Full rigid steel 650B. This will have a segmented (awesome) fork with sufficiently heavy/funky blades so as to be durable with the larger wheel. Still steep angles, but slightly less aggressive than the Wicked BigWheel. It will be called the Wicked MidWheel. Team fade paint job.

- Front suspension Ti 29er. This will be the WickedSmaht. Same as the steel 29er in terms of geometry. Shotpeen Ti finish with Grello decals or panels.

- Ti Road bike. WickedSkinny. Tig welded double butted Ti, rim/disc brake options, 130/135 spacing option. ENVE fork.

- Ti Cross bike. WickedFilthy. Tig welded db ti, canti/disc brake options. Segmented steel fork.

I'm REALLY excited about this project. Whatever Chris Chance's strengths or weaknesses as a businessman might be, he was a visionary guy who did some innovative stuff, and who helped shape the market in many ways.

What do you think he'll make? Who do you think will help him? How do you think he'll sell them?

nighthawk
09-09-2014, 07:12 PM
This has been on my local CL lately... wouldn't spend the $$ on it.. but it sure is RAD!

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/bik/4653384909.html

http://images.craigslist.org/00s0s_lBAcfg6NGye_600x450.jpg

Buzz Killington
09-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Wasn't the original name Fat City Cycles? Why not use that name? Maybe someone still owns that name?
I lusted over their MTBs when I was younger, but the only bike they could make id be interested in is steel frame with segmented steel fork, with modern steel and updates. Slim chance but that's what I'd sign on the dotted line for.

DRZRM
09-09-2014, 08:26 PM
From you mouth to god's, or Chris's, ears. I'd want one of each. Throw in a snow bike for good measure.

- Front suspension steel 29er. This will be based on traditional Fat quick-steering geometry, as a direct counterpoint to the trend of slacker and slacker head tube angles. Disc brakes. It will be called the Wicked BigWheel, and available in Grello, purple or black.

- Full rigid steel 650B. This will have a segmented (awesome) fork with sufficiently heavy/funky blades so as to be durable with the larger wheel. Still steep angles, but slightly less aggressive than the Wicked BigWheel. It will be called the Wicked MidWheel. Team fade paint job.

- Front suspension Ti 29er. This will be the WickedSmaht. Same as the steel 29er in terms of geometry. Shotpeen Ti finish with Grello decals or panels.

- Ti Road bike. WickedSkinny. Tig welded double butted Ti, rim/disc brake options, 130/135 spacing option. ENVE fork.

- Ti Cross bike. WickedFilthy. Tig welded db ti, canti/disc brake options. Segmented steel fork.

I'm REALLY excited about this project. Whatever Chris Chance's strengths or weaknesses as a businessman might be, he was a visionary guy who did some innovative stuff, and who helped shape the market in many ways.

What do you think he'll make? Who do you think will help him? How do you think he'll sell them?

thirdgenbird
09-09-2014, 08:37 PM

Exactly what I want.cant decide if I would want rim brake, disc, or both options. Either way, it would be Paul.

CunegoFan
09-09-2014, 08:46 PM

How could you leave out the opportunity to capitalize on the name by making a fat bike?

pbarry
09-09-2014, 08:49 PM

Excellent line up, but the names will be changed. Too much wicked there. ;)

Yes, CC is a visionary, a great builder, and a good man. I really hope he delegates the business end to a CFO/partner with a successful business resume.

pdonk
09-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Don't forget the black cherry colour.

echelon_john
09-09-2014, 08:59 PM
And hopefully that person won't have a name that rhymes with jen perotta. or farchifald fox, for that matter.

Excellent line up, but the names will be changed. Too much wicked there. ;)

Yes, CC is a visionary, a great builder, and a good man. I really hope he delegates the business end to a CFO/partner with a successful business resume.

pbarry
09-09-2014, 09:06 PM
And hopefully that person won't have a name that rhymes with jen perotta. or farchifald fox, for that matter.

Right! Like I said: "A successful business resume".. Your fervor for the new venture is appreciated.

I Want Sachs?
09-09-2014, 09:28 PM

With some modification, could be a google company bike. :)

Ryun
09-09-2014, 10:38 PM
QUOTE=jlwdm;1618835]Do you really expect anyone to believe that you have kept a bike for 20 years?

Jeff[/QUOTE]

well haters gonna hate

but here she is.. grouppo is still original as are most of the parts..
https://flic.kr/p/p9tNYK[

RedRider
09-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Here's my speculation/suggestion.
- Chris Chance creates a replica Yo Eddy. Produce a couple hundred high quality steel frames celebrating his most famous and collectable model.
- Start small, cater to the current fan base and build the business from success.
- The reality is that few young mountain bikers know his name and even if they do why would they buy a full suspension bike from him rather than the multitude of other manufacturers?
- A new Yo Eddy that gets the buzz and positive reviews could launch many other models.

John H.
09-10-2014, 09:58 AM
They are going to do a rigid 650b with a segmented fork.
That will likely be the homage bike.

echelon_john
09-10-2014, 10:24 AM
fact or opinion?

John H.
09-10-2014, 10:41 AM
I hesitate to say fact because I don't work for him or anything.
I did read it somewhere- If I can re-find the text I will post it.
But it said the line up would be:
650b fully rigid with segmented fork
Front suspension butted ti 29er
Butted ti road with Enve fork
Steel suspension 29er
Steel road with Enve fork

fact or opinion?

echelon_john
09-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Wasn't this, was it? http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1618858&postcount=34

Steel suspension 29er

John H.
09-10-2014, 10:52 AM
I don't recall reading about cross bikes.
Chris is local to me- I am trying to contact him direct to find out more.

buddybikes
09-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Assume he will be doing design then outsourcing everything? Or could he actually be touching a torch again?

Mikej
09-10-2014, 02:37 PM
All Chinese carbon with old school stickers...Just kidding -

HenryA
09-10-2014, 05:06 PM

"Six Fifty Shades of Wicked"

p nut
09-10-2014, 06:20 PM
29 rigid SS, please.

BryanE
09-10-2014, 06:45 PM
I would think he could carve a nice niche market in the fat bike segment.
But it isn't 1993 and I don't see him bringing anything new to the table.
Not hating but I have no desire for a steel mtn bike and wonder how many people do. Besides the 15 people here.
This should be a popular post......

pbarry
09-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Here's my speculation/suggestion.
- Chris Chance creates a replica Yo Eddy. Produce a couple hundred high quality steel frames celebrating his most famous and collectable model.
- Start small, cater to the current fan base and build the business from success.
- The reality is that few young mountain bikers know his name and even if they do why would they buy a full suspension bike from him rather than the multitude of other manufacturers?
- A new Yo Eddy that gets the buzz and positive reviews could launch many other models.

This is right on. Keep it simple.

FWIW, The Slim Chance was the most arduous product development for a basic design I've ever seen.

Perfect for the market right now.

Steel suspension 29er

Too broad of a range with a market absence of 20 years. I doubt CC is tooling up for this. My guess is that the frames will be fabricated in Washington or NY State.

I would think he could carve a nice niche market in the fat bike segment.
But it isn't 1993 and I don't see him bringing anything new to the table.
Not hating but I have no desire for a steel mtn bike and wonder how many people do. Besides the 15 people here.
This should be a popular post......

Fat bikes are a natural. Good thinking.

Chris has always had unique ideas, so there may be some interesting tweaks to the offerings.

There's a market for steel hardtail/SS bikes, imo. This is not the forum to gage interest in mtbs. From other posts: The rumor mill is suggesting Ti models too..

The decision that ultimately doomed FC was not starting Ti production in '87 or '88 when Hellfrich and Augsberger produced the first prototype at FC. CC did not want to go forward with Ti. Gary and Mike got backing from Gwynn Jones, moved to a building across the parking lot, and the rest is history. Not sure if FC or Merlin ever made a profit for more than 2-3 years..

I enjoy seeing the success of FC's descendants, direct or indirect, (a few named earlier). Seven should be included.

RedRider
09-11-2014, 07:56 AM
And this just in...

Yo, Fat Chance fans: how about a new Yo Eddy?

LAS VEGAS (BRAIN) — After a nearly 15-year hiatus from the bike industry, framebuilder Chris Chance is resurrecting his namesake brand, Fat Chance Bicycles. Chance, one of the pioneers of mountain bikes, founded Fat City Cycles/Fat Chance in 1982 in Somerville, Massachusetts.

Chance said plans are underway to bring back the Yo Eddy, one of his most popular models. The Yo Eddy was also one of the most iconic and collectable mountain bikes of the 1980s and 1990s and continues to have a cult-like following.

He has launched a website—www.fatchancebicycles.com—to solicit fan input on the design of a limited run of Fat Chance Yo Eddy frames, asking fans about whether to build it in steel, titanium, aluminum or carbon fiber, and whether it should have 26-inch, 27.5-inch or 29-inch wheels. Fans can cast their vote for their dream Yo Eddy.

Chance is also walking the show to get feedback, and plans to attend upcoming handmade bike shows and other cycling events.
"I'm at Interbike this week spreading the news that I'm reviving Fat Chance Bicycles," he said in an email.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/product-tech/2014/09/11/yo-fat-chance-fans-how-about-new-yo-eddy?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook#.VBGbkPldUoM

thirdgenbird
09-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Voted.

Here is my opinion:
Xc
Steel
650b
Rigid
Sliding dropouts (ss or geared)
Rim brake or post mount disc

p nut
09-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Ai. Maybe a fat bike is natural fit, name wise, but hopefully they don't. Don't really care about yet another fat bike on the market. 29+ could be interesting, though.

Ti Designs
09-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Take a look at the history of reborn names in the bike industry and you might get a clearer picture. Take for example Schwinn - the most recognized name in bikes before the name was sold. Names in the cycling industry only go so far. Chris got his foothold in the market with welded mountain bikes when everyone else was doing lugged construction. He had something that everybody wanted before anyone else, and Fat City started. The Yo Eddy! followed the Wicked as the next generation of northeast singletrack bikes. There was demand and Fat City always had a backlog, right up to the day they moved out of their factory in Olive square. The new and larger factory should have shown them that there's a limit to their market share, the move to New York was a disaster. Chris has his name and nothing else. He may very well sell a few new frames based on that name, I don't see it going very far. Perhaps he'll lend his name to one of the bigger, well established names. Perhaps some of Ben's investors are still looking to get into the bike market...

The bike market isn't like the high tech market. Bikes still have two wheels, the cranks still turn the back wheel, the gears are still on the right side... The market doesn't reinvent itself, changes by comparison are slow. Once in a while someone is ahead of the curve and they make a name for themselves. Lots of people have made a small fortune in the bike industry by starting with a large one. Thinking that Chris can just jump back in where he left off is along the same lines.

Highgear
09-12-2014, 01:56 PM
http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike-chris-chance-to-revive-fat-city-cycles

likebikes
03-07-2015, 11:11 AM
not much of a comeback:

http://theradavist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2015-NAHBS-Fat_Chance_Yo_Eddy-1-1335x890.jpg

p nut
03-07-2015, 11:17 AM
Yet another steel bike with typical geo. Yawn.

http://www.fatchancebicycles.com/29er-sizing-chart/

bicycletricycle
03-07-2015, 11:31 AM
reminds me of the IBIS comeback, cool but could have been a lot cooler.

Why no vintage remake model?

seems like a no brainer

FlashUNC
03-07-2015, 11:47 AM
Holy No Tire Clearance Batman.

Peter P.
03-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Help me out, all you Fat Chance naysayers-what is it you find so "boring" about the comeback frames? What were you expecting?

FlashUNC
03-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Help me out, all you Fat Chance naysayers-what is it you find so "boring" about the comeback frames? What were you expecting?

Adequate tire clearance would be a good start.

Pastashop
03-07-2015, 12:27 PM
Adequate tire clearance would be a good start.

Amen! What's with all the bikes that have rear wheels so close to the seat tube that they'd get jammed by a penny? On a mountain bike especially...

bicycletricycle
03-07-2015, 01:24 PM
I guess a more integrated rigid option would be nice, that huge headtube down to long *** skinny fork look always looks like ****

I realize that they are stuck in a tough position, they used to make high tech top end frames, now they have a vintage MTB reputation. When restarting do they try to continue as a top end cutting edge frame manufacturer or as a vintage reproduction brand trapped in the past.

i think it would be nice if they made both, a reproduction and a fresh new frame.

it might also be nice if they incorporated some of the details from the original frames on the new ones, like the pointy bullet ends on the stays or some nice gussets.

The new frame looks nice i think i wish it was more fat chancy.

Also, those huge head tubes are never going to look right on small steel or titanium tubes.

except for maybe on this bike-
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=164506
this bike is awesome

p nut
03-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Amen! What's with all the bikes that have rear wheels so close to the seat tube that they'd get jammed by a penny? On a mountain bike especially...

I'm not sure why he wouldn't have curved that ST a little. I mean, that's a measly 2.25" back there. For a "Trail" hardtail, it seems short-sighted to not leave room for something much bigger.

p nut
03-07-2015, 09:09 PM
I guess a more integrated rigid option would be nice, that huge headtube down to long *** skinny fork look always looks like ****

I agree there. Would have loved an old school look to it. I'm guessing most of those interested may be looking for the same as well, as they fondly remember the old days. I sure wouldn't be buying for anything else that bike has to offer.

Idris Icabod
03-07-2015, 10:24 PM
It kinda looks like the front derailleur cable would rub the tire should you want to run one. My Ti frame is close but this one looks impossible.

Javaman
03-07-2015, 11:17 PM
Is Chris Chance building the frames himself?

FlashUNC
03-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Is Chris Chance building the frames himself?

I remember reading it was Zinn Fabrication building these, no?

bluesea
03-08-2015, 07:41 AM
not much of a comeback:

http://theradavist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2015-NAHBS-Fat_Chance_Yo_Eddy-1-1335x890.jpp

Aesthetically, I like it. A lot. Decals are still very cool. Now if he had followed the Black Mountain Cycles business model, that would have be even cooler.

pbarry
03-08-2015, 07:57 AM
I remember reading it was Zinn Fabrication building these, no?

AFAIK, he's tooling up to do small runs. I mentioned in the Kickstarter thread that having Zen Fabrication build FC bikes would be a better business model.

velomonkey
03-08-2015, 08:35 AM
Nonplussed.

You know, about ten years ago Guns and Roses made a comeback. I was excited by the prospect and let down by the reality.

DRZRM
03-08-2015, 09:07 AM
Looks like Chris's head. (https://instagram.com/p/z5wnV7mnHi/?modal=true)

Radavist on that bike (http://theradavist.com/2015/03/2015-nahbs-fat-chance-yo-eddy-hardtail-29r/#1)

Says that chainstays are for the 27.5 and that the 29er chainstays will be longer. Showing it that way is doing himself a disservice.

avalonracing
03-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Showing it that way is doing himself a disservice.

VERY true.

pbarry
03-08-2015, 10:09 AM
According to the Radavist post comments, Ventana will be making the frames until CC gets his shop running.

eBAUMANN
03-08-2015, 10:31 AM
I really can't believe the whole "we didn't have any 29er chainstays" excuse...REALLY?! Not a single chainstay long enough in your whole factory?!

This is the debut frame for your highly hyped re-launch at NAHBS...and you're gonna let a too-short set of chainstays sour it?

Also, since when do chainstays come in "29er" and "650b" length? They don't, you cut them. Cut them too short and well...see pic.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

echelon_john
03-08-2015, 10:36 AM
This whole thing is just disappointing and sad.

I was thrilled when the initial announcement came, less thrilled when the terms of the kickstarted were announced, and this just seems like a cluster.

I really can't believe the whole "we didn't have any 29er chainstays" excuse...REALLY?! Not a single chainstay long enough in your whole factory?!

This is the debut frame for your highly hyped re-launch at NAHBS...and you're gonna let a set of chainstays sour it?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

p nut
03-08-2015, 11:06 AM
According to the Radavist post comments, Ventana will be making the frames until CC gets his shop running.

Didn't know Ventana did steel. Thught they were aluminum only.

BTW, I don't buy the no 29er stays excuse. 27.5 and some 26 bikes use 17" stays. Not like they're impossible to find. At least photoshop that mess before posting...

xjahx
03-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Kickstarter:
No business plan.
No investors to appease.
No accountability.
No rules, and in this case no clearance.

sandyrs
03-09-2015, 01:57 PM
Just for the record, the 27.5" version does have a segmented fork and reasonable tire clearance.

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Fat-Chance-Yo-Eddy-2015-hardtail-steel-mountain-bike01-600x400.jpg

I agree that the 29er was weak. The BikeRumor article also directly contradicts the Radavist article and claims that the two wheel size versions will share the same chainstay length.

John H.
03-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Yeah, but the suspension corrected segmented fork does not look nearly as nice as the old bike 1"-

Just for the record, the 27.5" version does have a segmented fork and reasonable tire clearance.

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Fat-Chance-Yo-Eddy-2015-hardtail-steel-mountain-bike01-600x400.jpg

I agree that the 29er was weak. The BikeRumor article also directly contradicts the Radavist article and claims that the two wheel size versions will share the same chainstay length.

sandyrs
03-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Yeah, but the suspension corrected segmented fork does not look nearly as nice as the old bike 1"-

Agreed, and to clarify my last post Fat Chance posted on the Radavist article that the chainstay lengths will be different. Just seemed like the whole picture wasn't present on this thread. I've seen better comebacks, but also worse.

DRZRM
03-09-2015, 02:12 PM
I would totally ride that. I think that his market is a rigid steel bike. I want (another) one. Awesome!! I hope he makes this work.

seanile
03-09-2015, 02:15 PM
I think that his market is a rigid steel bike.if that's the case, his price-point needs to be adjusted.

xjahx
03-09-2015, 02:58 PM
My take: The kickstarter specs in regard to who was building and frame specifications were vague. NAHBS reports in regard to who will be doing final building and frame specifications remain mixed and contradictory. This vagueness reflects uncertainty in design and craftsmanship, unfamiliarity with basic design concepts that we have discussed ad nauseam since 29ers really started to hit in 2000, since 650b emerged, and since longer travel front suspension rigs took hold, and a lack of a true plan. The bikes that they presented reflected all of the above and an "evolving" make it up as you go.

Stick with what you know: 1" or even the modern 1 1/8" HT, fully rigid, non-suspension corrected, yo-eddy forked MTB. Recognize that you have nastalgia from 25+ years ago, use the old decals, the old colors, the improved tubesets, make them in the US, and sell complete framesets for $1200-$1600. Rigid bikes have resurfaced with a loyal following.

Do what you know, because you were seeking enlightenment whilst, for instance, Lenz was seeking a 17.3" chainstay, 7" travel, park bike for 29er and 650b with clearance for 2.5" tires.

Time will tell, and as a taxpayer in the 02145, please pay back Somerville as soon as you are profitable.

p nut
03-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Stick with what you know: 1" or even the modern 1 1/8" HT, fully rigid, non-suspension corrected, yo-eddy forked MTB. Recognize that you have nastalgia from 25+ years ago, use the old decals, the old colors, the improved tubesets, make them in the US, and sell complete framesets for $1200-$1600. Rigid bikes have resurfaced with a loyal following.

That would definitely make more sense, especially for the limited "I'm back" framesets. Had he gone that route, with some better geo figures (shorter CS/WB, for instance), I'd be pretty tempted, as an owner of 3 rigid MTB's.

pbarry
03-09-2015, 05:49 PM
My take: The kickstarter specs in regard to who was building and frame specifications were vague. NAHBS reports in regard to who will be doing final building and frame specifications remain mixed and contradictory. This vagueness reflects uncertainty in design and craftsmanship, unfamiliarity with basic design concepts that we have discussed ad nauseam since 29ers really started to hit in 2000, since 650b emerged, and since longer travel front suspension rigs took hold, and a lack of a true plan. The bikes that they presented reflected all of the above and an "evolving" make it up as you go.

Do what you know, because you were seeking enlightenment whilst, for instance, Lenz was seeking a 17.3" chainstay, 7" travel, park bike for 29er and 650b with clearance for 2.5" tires.

Time will tell, and as a taxpayer in the 02145, please pay back Somerville as soon as you are profitable.

Well said, but the profitable part won't happen. No hate, just the facts as seen over a thirty year timeframe.