PDA

View Full Version : Flying Machine Bikes—3D printing Titanium

echelon_john
09-09-2014, 09:36 AM
I hadn't heard of these guys before. Anybody Aussies here have any inside info?

http://www.flyingmachine.com.au

Fascinating story and technology. 3D printing has more than proven itself for efficient prototyping and product design; here's a relatively complex material challenge and the shift to production.

Would you buy a 3D printed bike, or one assembled to include 3D printed frame components today? Assuming the durability is proven over time, would you?

echelon_john
09-09-2014, 09:38 AM
A good summary article:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/2014/08/future-3d-print-own-titanium-bicycle/

Llewellyn
09-09-2014, 04:20 PM
I've driven past their "studio" a few times and it's always been closed. To be honest I didn't realise they were still in business.

I think the business has gone through several incarnations - IIRC they started out making typical frames, then went to making belt drive bikes, and now 3D printing by the looks of it.

Dead Man
09-09-2014, 04:43 PM
I've driven past their "studio" a few times and it's always been closed. To be honest I didn't realise they were still in business.

I think the business has gone through several incarnations - IIRC they started out making typical frames, then went to making belt drive bikes, and now 3D printing by the looks of it.

Sounds like gambling men. They'd rather roll the dice on a potentially higher margin niche item than have to put in the hours cranking out traditional frames.

I can relate..... I definitely prefer to make more and work less than make less and work more. Just usually doesn't work.

jamesau
09-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Would you buy a 3D printed bike, or one assembled to include 3D printed frame components today?

I'll pass for the foreseeable future.

Compared with traditional metals, it would seem you'd sacrifice all present-day alloying and grain structure advantages. (Unless there's some serious post treatment doping and heat treatments going on).

Not sure how to compare to composites except to say there wouldn't be a comparison.

Someone convince me otherwise.

wallymann
09-09-2014, 07:29 PM
structurally, NASA/DARPA are testing 3D printed metal parts in rocket engines now. should be OK for my lilliputian power-levels.

"Early data from the test, conducted at pressures up to 1,400 pounds per square inch absolute and at almost 6,000 degrees Fahrenheit, indicate the injector worked flawlessly."

aesthetically, those lugs could use some serious finish work -- they look like sand-cast pot metal!

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/3d-printed-rocket-injector.html

Mark McM
09-10-2014, 09:05 AM
structurally, NASA/DARPA are testing 3D printed metal parts in rocket engines now. should be OK for my lilliputian power-levels.

"Early data from the test, conducted at pressures up to 1,400 pounds per square inch absolute and at almost 6,000 degrees Fahrenheit, indicate the injector worked flawlessly."

aesthetically, those lugs could use some serious finish work -- they look like sand-cast pot metal!

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/3d-printed-rocket-injector.html

Maybe NASA/DARPA is looking for 3D printing to replace cast parts.

Metallurgically, 3D printed metals aren't much different from cast metals. While casting can produce quite strong and usable parts for some applications, it isn't suited for all applications. Casting works fine for engine blocks, but would be a poor application for an automobile chassis. Likewise, casing works fine for frame lugs, but is a poor choice for frame tubes.

I think 3D printing can be applied quite well to some bike parts, but I don't think it is optimal for producing an entire frame.

wallymann
09-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Maybe NASA/DARPA is looking for 3D printing to replace cast parts...[snip]...I think 3D printing can be applied quite well to some bike parts, but I don't think it is optimal for producing an entire frame.

they're replacing machined parts that are traditionally welded into complex assemblies (the injector in the rocket engine) with a single 3D structure using very tough nickel-based alloys (maybe something like inconel?).

for these bikes in this thread, i think these guy's 3D stuff is just for lugs and dropouts, a reasonable place since they're traditionally cast anyways.