PDA

View Full Version : Stop the Insanity – Campy Crank Bolts $30 at my LBS !!!

Louis
03-07-2006, 09:55 PM
This business model just won’t work. I know most of the usual excuses:

1) Campy is the best (yeah right – I refuse to drink that Cool-Aid)
2) Campy has to make a profit
3) The dollar is down vs the euro
4) The Quality Bicycle Products wholesaler has to make a profit
5) The truck company that delivered the parts has to make a profit
6) The bike shop has to make a profit

However, this is nuts. Just two stinking bolts! They aren't even high-strength or close tolerance bolts. No industry, no matter how dedicated or well heeled its customers may be, can survive long term with this sort of pricing structure. This is an accurate number. I just checked the price on the Harris site (Harris QPB link (http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?PageID=49&action=list&searchtype=search&keywords=bolt&Brand=60&gobutnsearch=Search&startRow=26) ) and they listed the bolts at $36. $30 at the LBS is a steal!

I just can’t believe this.

By the way, seriously, are you interested in a brand new, never installed, pair of 170 mm Campy Racing T crank arms? They’re too short for me. No rings (I’m keeping them as spares, no crank attach bolts (surprise surprise), but yes the chainring bolts are included (at the Harris site the double chainring bolts are $19 each, at that price just the right arm is worth well over $150 bucks for the bolts alone, since there are five of the bolt-nut combo and five bolts for the small ring!!!). Make an offer if interested. I have no idea what to ask.

Louis

Samster
03-07-2006, 11:04 PM
hey... if ya wanna play, ya gotta pay...

campy panache can be had for a little cheaper at some european web dealers (like xxcycle.com). however, shipping is the great equalizer.

let's ride sometime.

bfd
03-07-2006, 11:16 PM
A couple of options:

1. AE Bike gives 20% off the QBP catalog, so Campy crank bolts are $26 a set:

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=CR9822

2. your other choice is ebay....

gdw
03-08-2006, 01:36 AM
You're right. The industry is out of control. Forget the LBS and buy from the "bottom feeders" on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CAMPAGNOLO-CAMPY-VELOCE-CRANKSET-10-SPEED-53-39-170_W0QQitemZ7224626166QQcategoryZ56195QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

You can probably buy a Veloce crankset for $39.99 plus $8.00 for shipping if you want to place a bid and wait or you can use buy it know and purchase it outright for $57.99 shipped. For that huge investment you'll recieve the bolts you need and an extra set of 53/39t rings, five pairs of chainring bolts, and some 170mm crankarms to use as you please. See if your LBS can match that deal. :banana:

Too Tall
03-08-2006, 06:19 AM
Buy something else. There are other mfg.s crank bolts that fit 100% perfect and don't cost nearly that much.

catulle
03-08-2006, 06:37 AM
A Campagnolo chain whip goes for $100 and it is a plain slab of sheet metal with a piece of chain attached to it. I guess the stamped Campagnolo logo brings the price from $1.25 to $100. I think it is sad because this type of thing turns people off and before we know it Campagnolo will be a thing of the past. Meanwhile, Shimano and others are rubbing their hands. There is a thing called elasticity of demand.

Too Tall
03-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Elasticity? Cool, is that the same thing as SRAM entering the market ;)

bostondrunk
03-08-2006, 07:58 AM
You're right. The industry is out of control. Forget the LBS and buy from the "bottom feeders" on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CAMPAGNOLO-CAMPY-VELOCE-CRANKSET-10-SPEED-53-39-170_W0QQitemZ7224626166QQcategoryZ56195QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

You can probably buy a Veloce crankset for $39.99 plus $8.00 for shipping if you want to place a bid and wait or you can use buy it know and purchase it outright for $57.99 shipped. For that huge investment you'll recieve the bolts you need and an extra set of 53/39t rings, five pairs of chainring bolts, and some 170mm crankarms to use as you please. See if your LBS can match that deal. :banana:

Bottom feeders......same term I use for my LBS who ****s me over every time I buy something or need something done for my bike. If there is any way possible for them to grossly overcharge me, or mess up the work on my bike, they do it.

bigman
03-08-2006, 02:56 PM
How about the $26 each I just laid out for Campy record Front hub cones - my LBS said they felt bad and did not even apply their standard mark up.
Worst of all the wheels did not even have 2k on them - but rear is CAMPY smooth. Naturally also replaced bearings for for another 13 bucks - can buy a new hub on line for about eighty bucks - go figure!

Nuts - but I bought them.

FYI Shimano would have been around 6 bucks for both!

stevep
03-08-2006, 03:12 PM
dont complain about the poor lbs. he told you how much they would be, right? you cried but you said get them...i need them...
believe me its nothing but a headache for him to listen to someone with a $7,500 bike cry about a pr of bolts that the dealer makes a few bucks on after special ordering, shipping, stocking, paying the guy who took the order, paying the guy who ordered it, paying the guy who went back and got it for you when it came in and paying the guy who tried to be nice as you howled about getting ripped off..." how much? how much?" etc, etc
blame campagnolo.
ps be careful with the bolts...they are expensive to replace.

Argos
03-08-2006, 03:15 PM
ps be careful with the bolts...they are expensive to replace.

Hahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahha.... That's great!

The Spider
03-11-2006, 02:19 AM
$18 ($aus = 13 $us) for the plastic bracket which holds the ergobrain to the handlebar. It doesn't even say Campagnolo and it's not made in Italy! that is fairly expensive for a piece of black plastic.

Spin those cranks a few times down a beautiful road and you'll forget the price though!

Kevin
03-11-2006, 06:05 AM
In the current world economy you can either pay $30 for a bolt, or you can buy it for far less and have it made by an eight year old child who does not go to school and works 12 hour days to help feed her family.

Kevin

catulle
03-11-2006, 06:57 AM
Elasticity? Cool, is that the same thing as SRAM entering the market ;)

Exactly.

William
03-11-2006, 08:43 AM
http://www.kilbot.com.au/wp-content/shop/crazyinsanity.gif

Buy Shimano (or SRAM). ;)

William

bfd
03-11-2006, 12:03 PM
bigman wrote:

<How about the $26 each I just laid out for Campy record Front hub cones - my LBS said they felt bad and did not even apply their standard mark up.
Worst of all the wheels did not even have 2k on them - but rear is CAMPY smooth. Naturally also replaced bearings for for another 13 bucks - can buy a new hub on line for about eighty bucks - go figure!>

You had less than 2K on your "Campy record Front hub," how old was the hub? Doesn't Campy have a 3 year warranty on Record parts? If your hub was 3 years old or less, did you ask your LBS about warranting the cones? Also, you paid $13 for new bearings? I hope they were Campy bearings because Grade 25 - Campy quality equivalent are like $0.05 or $0.10, at the most, each. Sounds like you need a new LBS....

Serotta PETE
03-11-2006, 05:53 PM
http://www.kilbot.com.au/wp-content/shop/crazyinsanity.gif

Buy Shimano (or SRAM). ;)

William

Dura Ace is playing catch up with CAMPY on $$s. Difference with CAMPY is that you can get the parts.

I had to pay $19 for a touch up tube of paint for my wife's car. THis was cheap for the guy next to me eas paying over a hundred $$s for a key.

I cringe on the price of things - but maybe this is a sign that I have not had enough red wine today. Speaking of wine, I can no longer find many of those <$10 bottles...

Pete

gary135r
03-11-2006, 09:55 PM
In the current world economy you can either pay $30 for a bolt, or you can buy it for far less and have it made by an eight year old child who does not go to school and works 12 hour days to help feed her family.

Kevin
word