PDA

View Full Version : OT: DC Bureaucracy at its finest

tuxbailey
09-08-2014, 08:44 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/in-dc-a-12-year-old-piano-prodigy-is-treated-as-a-truant-instead-of-a-star-student/2014/09/08/58962746-3727-11e4-bdfb-de4104544a37_story.html?hpid=z1

tiretrax
09-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Most public schools are broken.

cfox
09-08-2014, 09:29 PM
It is very common for elite youth athletes to be home schooled so they can train like professionals. I don't think this story would exist if you substituted figure skating for playing piano. It tugs more emotionally because playing the piano seems "smarter". Your not going to garner much sympathy for a skater or gymnast.

That said, it sounds like there are provisions in the code that would allow for some leeway for this girl, but some bonehead is too lazy to see it through.

ultraman6970
09-08-2014, 09:40 PM
The system has its rules, and I agree with you, the girl is something else and she deserves to get off the hook but as i said before, rules are rules.

Her parents should have figured it out long time ago about moving to another state or maybe find her a school in another country willing to give her what she deserves as a gifted child. Probably they already have been offered something already, who knows.

bcroslin
09-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Rules, schmules. I bet she'll receive offers from a few local private schools and she'll receive the financial aid to attend by the end of the week.

That's simply a small-minded person being a pain-in-the-ass for no good reason.

palincss
09-09-2014, 06:39 AM
Not the only example of DC bureaucracy gone mad. From Tuesday 9 Sept Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/withering-inspector-general-report-criticizes-dc-parking-and-traffic-ticketing/2014/09/08/da6ae324-3781-11e4-8601-97ba88884ffd_story.html?hpid=z2

"In Washington, D.C., where issuing traffic citations is a $179 million-a-year business, drivers get speeding tickets for violations they don’t commit and for vehicles they’ve never owned.

"Those are among the findings in a 115-page audit of the three city agencies that issued nearly 2.5 million parking and traffic tickets in fiscal 2013, according to a withering report issued Monday by the D.C. inspector general.

"The report portrays the District as the Wild West of traffic enforcement when compared with neighboring jurisdictions and the states, with a shortage of regulations, a legion of ticket writers often confused about the rules, “arbitrary” decision-making about who gets some speed-camera tickets and parking-meter monitors who get called on the carpet if they don’t write enough tickets. "

akelman
09-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Most public schools are broken.

If what you meant to say was, "The overwhelming majority of public schools are somewhere between meh and really terrific, but unfortunately we spend all of our time as a society wringing our collective hands about the minority that are broken. And when we spend that time wringing our hands, we ignore the root causes of the problem -- especially poverty -- and focus instead on sideshows like unions." then I totally agree with you. In fact, great post!

verticaldoug
09-09-2014, 07:01 AM
as part of the WaPo lovefest, an article on police profiling for funding:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/09/08/they-fought-the-law-who-won/?hpid=z1

Part 3 of a series

tuxbailey
09-09-2014, 07:06 AM
The system has its rules, and I agree with you, the girl is something else and she deserves to get off the hook but as i said before, rules are rules.

Her parents should have figured it out long time ago about moving to another state or maybe find her a school in another country willing to give her what she deserves as a gifted child. Probably they already have been offered something already, who knows.

I know rules are rules. I think the article points out that the rules are not applied fairly. It seems like they care about attendance records only in the schools in the "better" neighborhood in the city.

It is the city's loss to have lost a talented straight A student who were very happy attending public school. And the negative PR is not going to be good. The fact that no one is owning up the decision speaks volume. The fact that the rules allow exception to be made on a case by case basis doesn't speak well.

And I agree that she will probably be attending a DC private school with financial aid or scholarship in no time.

SamIAm
09-09-2014, 07:30 AM
What a gifted young girl!

flydhest
09-09-2014, 09:15 AM
There are definitely lot of problems but the amazing strides that DC public schools have made over the past decade or so are rather impressive. I hope the trend continues.

Aaron O
09-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Processes without a sensible and accessible escalation procedure are worthless.

tuxbailey
09-09-2014, 12:02 PM
DCPS Response:

http://dcps.dc.gov/DCPS/About+DCPS/Press+Releases+and+Announcements/Press+Releases/Statement+from+Chancellor+Henderson+Regarding+Inac curacies+in+Petula+Dvorak+Washington+Post+Column

Hmmm, the plot thickens.

vav
09-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Nothing like Sir Ken to describe it: She really needs to be educated out of her creativity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY&feature=youtu.be

cfox
09-09-2014, 12:20 PM
DCPS Response:

http://dcps.dc.gov/DCPS/About+DCPS/Press+Releases+and+Announcements/Press+Releases/Statement+from+Chancellor+Henderson+Regarding+Inac curacies+in+Petula+Dvorak+Washington+Post+Column

Hmmm, the plot thickens.

Thickens? It sounds like a completely different plot altogether. Unless one side is lying completely, there is no way to reconcile both sides of that story.

tiretrax
09-09-2014, 12:44 PM
If what you meant to say was, "The overwhelming majority of public schools are somewhere between meh and really terrific, but unfortunately we spend all of our time as a society wringing our collective hands about the minority that are broken. And when we spend that time wringing our hands, we ignore the root causes of the problem -- especially poverty -- and focus instead on sideshows like unions." then I totally agree with you. In fact, great post!

Well, I speak from talking with many public school teachers to whom I am related or friends. They all have told me how they have to spend too much time on administrivia, have class sizes that are too large, disruptive/poorly prepared students, and teaching what's on standardized tests rather than trying to make a breakthrough with each student. The worst part is that even though we have so many standardized tests, our students (with one of the highest per capita expenditures) perform poorly in relation to their peers worldwide. I'd call that a broken system. Yes, there are lots of good schools, teachers, students, and programs to highlight. The corallary is true as well. The system as a whole is not preparing students well, especially in large, urban systems.

flydhest
09-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Corollary?

akelman
09-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Well, I speak from talking with many public school teachers to whom I am related or friends. They all have told me how they have to spend too much time on administrivia, have class sizes that are too large, disruptive/poorly prepared students, and teaching what's on standardized tests rather than trying to make a breakthrough with each student. The worst part is that even though we have so many standardized tests, our students (with one of the highest per capita expenditures) perform poorly in relation to their peers worldwide. I'd call that a broken system. Yes, there are lots of good schools, teachers, students, and programs to highlight. The corallary is true as well. The system as a whole is not preparing students well, especially in large, urban systems.

Control for poverty, and American schools are doing just fine. Eradicate poverty, and American schools would be in great shape.

That said, we agree that standardized testing has become the tale that wags the dog in many districts, that class sizes could stand to be smaller (though the data suggests that there isn't much correlation between class size and learning outcomes, I think smaller classes are better for teacher morale), and that teachers are pulled in too many different directions (administrivia, in your words).

Still, I'm not even remotely persuaded that "the system as a whole is not preparing students well." Well for what? Seriously, do we even know what we want our public schools to do at this point? As for your point about schools in urban areas, please see above re. poverty.

tiretrax
09-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Control for poverty, and American schools are doing just fine. Eradicate poverty, and American schools would be in great shape.

That said, we agree that standardized testing has become the tale that wags the dog in many districts, that class sizes could stand to be smaller (though the data suggests that there isn't much correlation between class size and learning outcomes, I think smaller classes are better for teacher morale), and that teachers are pulled in too many different directions (administrivia, in your words).

Still, I'm not even remotely persuaded that "the system as a whole is not preparing students well." Well for what? Seriously, do we even know what we want our public schools to do at this point? As for your point about schools in urban areas, please see above re. poverty.

Your last paragraph is my point - students aren't learning the facts and theories that they should. They aren't prepared for college. Every year, I read articles about how good colleges and universities have to provide remedial english for freshmen - teaching them grammar and how to research and write. Students aren't being taught to think critically - just to perform on the standardized test. It's a problem in wealthy suburbran schools, too. Not just inner city areas.

By the way, not all urban school system schools are blighted, at least in big Texas cities. Yes, performance declines in relation to income, but that's not to say the students in less impoverished areas are performing that well. I know that's the case in Dallas, Houston, and Austin.

djg
09-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Corollary?

Prolly a tigh-peaux. So lemma ask you this . . .

fuzzalow
09-10-2014, 08:26 AM
The worst part is that even though we have so many standardized tests, our students (with one of the highest per capita expenditures) perform poorly in relation to their peers worldwide.

The school day is too short, the number of actual days where school is in session has been reduced and whittled away. This is consequence of teacher & their union special interests that coerce or shape the agenda for what the school year should look like or comprise. Likewise the inflation of per capita expenditures, to the school districts that are able as far as wealth, which conflates and manipulates parents/taxpayers desire for quality education with paying more for "the best". The best however defined by special interests as salary, benefits and a bloated superintendent structure and not some magical coveyance of teacher dedication and quality via performance incentives and concomitant financial reward.

Pie in the sky posturing. Not remotely achieveable even here in the USA with the greatest wealth of any nation state and similarly with development of the greatest income disparity. American schools are a resource pool for a largely unaccountable and closed market of the teaching profession.

As a parent, I have experienced first hand the self interests of some teachers and their union interests. "Some teachers" because the ones that were good at what they did kept quiet and did not make waves against their union breathren. But the parents knew who the good ones were as much as who the entrenched incompetents were. Sure, not a scientific study on my part but as true to life as one could ever hope to be. And what I saw was disgusting. It was a money grab. For example: During bargaining season for a new school budget with substantial pay raises, most of the faculty would take shifts picketing for the increased budget waving placards and black arm bands in front of the main entrance.

This experience in one of the wealthiest school districts in Nassau County which as a county is easily in the top 50 wealthiest counties in the USA. Some of those teachers didn't have to try and they knew it. There was enough attained education in the parents and enough wealth in the households that the parents would be forced, and had the desire & the means, to compensate by other resources for the indifference or incompetence set forth by some of the faculty and under the purview of the official school curriculum/academic year.

Tell me again about the attrition rate for teachers union-wide. Tell me again about the "rubber room" inside the NYC school system. Tell me again about the 30+ school superintendents in Nassau County that earn in excess of $250k. Wrap the inability to achieve results in a cloth encompassing all societal ills as the reason the fault lies in no part to the teaching profession and their union interests.

Vientomas
09-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Put your kids in private school.

djg
09-10-2014, 10:00 AM

I'd have concerns about public schools in DC too, but flydhest is right -- they have made some real improvements overall and some more striking improvements in pockets here and there.

Plus . . . well, I don't know how much you know about the DC private school scene, but the preferred schools are pretty darn costly, and that's before you get into the networking/grooming/application nightmare. And for folks who like what prosperous suburban schools have to offer, there are plenty just over the DC line in Arlington, Fairfax, and Montgomery counties.

Ahneida Ride
09-10-2014, 10:41 AM
When it comes to standardized Math testing, USA comes in dead last,
of all the "first" world nations. Even Solvenia beats out USA.

Despite the untold Trillions upon Trillions spend.

The Solution .... as always, spend more Trillions of frns.

93legendti
09-10-2014, 11:04 AM
One without a union...

When they got rid of the union at my kids' private school, enrollment tripled and teacher morale soared. The teachers who cared had been demoralized by the dead weight teachers who were doing a disservice to the school and the students.

Now the school has union public school teachers applying every year to teach at our school-for less money!

Vientomas
09-10-2014, 02:27 PM
As DEVO said:

A victim of collision on the open sea
Nobody ever said that life was free
Sank, swam, go down with the ship
But use your freedom of choice

I'll say it again in the land of the free
Use your freedom of choice
Your freedom of choice...

Don't like the public school system? Opt out. Is that not what is great about our country? No one telling you that your children have to participate in the public school system. Private school, home school, no unions, no administration - nothing but you making decisions on how to best educate your children. Can't afford to opt out? Why not opt in and spend some time in a classroom, help your children with their education or get elected to the school board. Or, you could just complain about it.

Freedom of choice.

As for the demonization of teacher unions:

http://nepc.colorado.edu/files/Chapter10-Carini-Final.pdf

While only 17 prominent studies have looked at the teacher union-achievement link, the evidence suggests that unionism raises achievement modestly for most students in public schools. These favorable patterns on unionism include higher math and verbal standardized test scores, and very possibly, an increased likelihood of high school graduation. Although most
studies were conducted on high-school students, favorable union effects were also found at the elementary level. At the same time, a union presence was harmful for the very lowest- and highest-achieving students. Research to date is only suggestive as to why unions may improve achievement for most students. Two promising explanations include the possibility that unions
standardize programs, instruction, and curricula in a way that benefits middle-range (most) students, and that unions “shock” schools into restructuring for greater effectiveness by improving connections and communication among district administrators, principals and teachers.

yngpunk
09-10-2014, 03:06 PM
As DEVO said:

A victim of collision on the open sea
Nobody ever said that life was free
Sank, swam, go down with the ship
But use your freedom of choice

I'll say it again in the land of the free
Use your freedom of choice
Your freedom of choice...

Don't like the public school system? Opt out. Is that not what is great about our country? No one telling you that your children have to participate in the public school system. Private school, home school, no unions, no administration - nothing but you making decisions on how to best educate your children. Can't afford to opt out? Why not opt in and spend some time in a classroom, help your children with their education or get elected to the school board. Or, you could just complain about it.

Freedom of choice.

While only 17 prominent studies have looked at the teacher union-achievement link, the evidence suggests that unionism raises achievement modestly for most students in public schools. These favorable patterns on unionism include higher math and verbal standardized test scores, and very possibly, an increased likelihood of high school graduation. Although most
studies were conducted on high-school students, favorable union effects were also found at the elementary level. At the same time, a union presence was harmful for the very lowest- and highest-achieving students. Research to date is only suggestive as to why unions may improve achievement for most students. Two promising explanations include the possibility that unions
standardize programs, instruction, and curricula in a way that benefits middle-range (most) students, and that unions “shock” schools into restructuring for greater effectiveness by improving connections and communication among district administrators, principals and teachers.

"unions standardize programs, instruction, and curricula in a way that benefits middle-range (most) students,"

Interesting...wonder why all the push back against the common core? I thought the argument against common core was so that teachers could "customize" their curricula to meet the needs to their students.

"unions “shock” schools into restructuring for greater effectiveness by improving connections and communication among district administrators, principals and teachers"

Isn't this what charter schools are about?

93legendti
09-10-2014, 03:24 PM

... At the same time, a union presence was harmful for the very lowest- and highest-achieving students. ...

I'd say teacher unions, with their results, demonize themselves just fine...

Ralph
09-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Your last paragraph is my point - students aren't learning the facts and theories that they should. They aren't prepared for college. Every year, I read articles about how good colleges and universities have to provide remedial english for freshmen - teaching them grammar and how to research and write. Students aren't being taught to think critically - just to perform on the standardized test. It's a problem in wealthy suburbran schools, too. Not just inner city areas.

By the way, not all urban school system schools are blighted, at least in big Texas cities. Yes, performance declines in relation to income, but that's not to say the students in less impoverished areas are performing that well. I know that's the case in Dallas, Houston, and Austin.

For many years, I would compare SAT scores from local public high schools VS local expensive private high schools in our area, and some not so expensive private high schools (usually church related). The BEST and WORST scores came from the affluent area public high schools. Admittedly these were public high schools in affluent areas (though some had kids bused in from not so affluent areas). The public high schools had to accept whatever came thru the door, the private schools did not. So the average scores of the public HS's was less than the private schools. However....the smartest highest achieving best prepared for college kids came from the public high schools. Sadly.....the public schools had more than their share of time wasters also. I can see why teachers involved with bottom of the class students (for whatever reason) w/b frustrated. Just meaning the headlines you hear don't always tell the whole story.

fuzzalow
09-10-2014, 06:57 PM

Yes, in the sense of attending private university. My direct involvement with the K-12 morass ended years ago. That I no longer rely on some of that infrastructure does not diminish my concern about the failure and shortcomings of public education.

I would never get directly involved as adversary to the K-12 status quo while my offspring are enrolled. To do that would expose them to retribution from faculty for a conflagration that, as students, they need not be pulled into and frankly, is not their battle to fight. This conflict is between adult special interest groups of faculty/union and parents. Not all of which are on the same side and want the same thing.

Freedom of choice.

As a taxpayer, I do not have the option to opt out. The school budget is part of the overall taxation structure and I must pay it whether I utilize its resources or not. And I do not object to paying as public education, in theory although not always in practice, is a valued resource to the advancement and prosperity of our nation. I do however object and have issue with its misuse. I choose to remain engaged because there are some in the system that do not have the capability to do as I did and sometimes its not right to turn away and leave them to the wolves.

"Opt in" in your example of joining school boards is a cop out. That triviality is just tuppence and window dressing to a structure that is fundamentally dysfunctional and corrupt. Teachers unions have featherbedded the profession to the point of stagnation prioritizing tenure over accountability, capability and performance. This will drive talented teachers away and undermines the value of the institution. It is all about the money.

I don't think it is necessary to reference dubious studies and position papers espousing either side in this debate. The fact remains that this nation's school aged citizenry is poorly served. And their burden in falling behind as inferior human capital relative to the rest of the world is borne all Americans.

cfox
09-10-2014, 07:10 PM
My wife and I are products of public education and both children of public school teachers. I am a believer in the system, but also recognize that I came from a household that demanded a certain level of achievement. I don't think my schools were particularly wonderful, but the fact that my parents had expectations made a huge difference.

The teacher's union thing is too hot button for me. I do know my dad, as a department head, went through a two year ordeal, including court hearings, in order to release an elderly teacher that couldn't function at the most basic level.

My two kids have had a wonderful time so far in public school (7th and 5th grade). That said, they live in a bubble of prosperity and have it easy.

The problem in my world isn't unmotivated teachers, its annoying parents that insist on micromanaging every possible iota of their kids school experience. Hand picking teachers, insisting on certain kids in their own kid's class, "why isn't Johnny in the advanced group!!!"...it goes on and on. There comes a time when your kid needs to figure some crap out for him/herself. They waste a lot of teachers' time. If I had a problem in school, my parents made me deal with it.

I remember a couple of years ago a meeting for parents of students entering middle school. It was announced that there was no honors math program for the 5th grade. An angry murmur filled the room, followed by outraged parents standing up to demand an explanation. A quick count resulted in more than half the parents thinking their own kids belonged in honors math. Well, guess what, if more than half of the parents think their kids belong in honors, it ceases to be honors. Do the math. Duh.

tuxbailey
09-11-2014, 08:12 AM
In case anyone cares for the follow up:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/petula-dvorak-no-misrepresentation-of-piano-prodigys-treatment-by-dc-schools/2014/09/09/8d19659e-385f-11e4-8601-97ba88884ffd_story.html

To me it seems like the school finally responded bowing to public pressure.