PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a campagnolo rear shifter with a SRAM derailleur and Campag cogs?

pavel
09-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Is it possible to use campagnolo 10 rear shifting and cassette with a SRAM derailleur?

I have read that Campag 10 rear shifter works perfectly with SRAM/Shimano 10 cassette and SRAM derailleur.

The reason for all this nonsense is because I want to use the SRAM CX1 derailleur and CX1 crank on my cross bike. However, all of my bikes are campagnolo. My CX set up is 2x10 centaur, which in my experience is not doing very well with bumpy courses in terms of chain drop and chain suck.

The simple solution here would be to ditch the front shifting entirely and just do campag 1x10 with a narrow-wide chainring. However, there are two issues: chainline in a big gear with the ring in the low position, as well as finding the right gearing. I currently have 12-27 and 46-36, which i think works very well for me. With a single chainring, I would want an 11 (which still gives less than 90 gear inches with a 36) but here again i am limited by campagnolo cassettes because the only solution is an 11-25, which i think doesnt go low enough. I suppose i could cobble together an 11-27 out of stuff that i have, but this forces me to give up gears i like.

The entire solution to do a complete 1x11 switch is:

SRAM 900 left brake
Rival shifter
CX1 crank
CX1 derailleur
Sram/shim cassette
sram/shim chain.
On top of that, I have to switch freehub bodies and redish 2 wheelsets. However, a sram 11 speed 11-28 is attractive because it has a nice low end and an 11-17 corncob. Which is awesome.

That said, I am trying to figure out if it is somehow possible to work the CX1 derailleur into my system without having to go through an expensive switch, not to mention be stuck with double tap shifting.

I will have to come back and edit this later because i think i'm forgetting a few things, but suggestions are welcome.

thegunner
09-08-2014, 07:08 PM
if it works perfectly for shimano/sram cassettes (it very nearly does), then logically it will not work for campag.

pavel
09-08-2014, 07:11 PM
What about with a shiftmate type deal?

pbarry
09-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Jtek Shiftmate #3 might work for this. http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.php

carpediemracing
09-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Regarding the Shimano 10s cassette, SRAM rear der, and Campy 10s Ergo.

I tried it after reading that Leonard Zinn used such a set up with no modifications etc. My goal was to use Shimano cassettes. At the time I had 4 bikes with Campy 10s Ergolevers, I don't like the SRAM or Shimano shift ergonomics, so I figured that if this worked I could use Shimano freehubs (on various wheels) and cassettes.

It worked fine.

However by that time I'd committed to three pairs of HED wheels with Campy freehub bodies. Therefore I bought three more Campy cassettes and called it a day.

I still have the brand new SRAM rear der and a 10s Shimano cassette. I figure one day I'll use them for something.

pbarry
09-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Why the need for the new crank? Edit: Got it. 1X drivetrain.