PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk OS training

veggieburger
09-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Today I saw my first tree with brown leaves, which means winter is rapidly approaching. I had a good season, I feel lean and fit, and I don't want to lose it. I used to play racquetball, spin and do weights in the off season, but I think it's time to try something different.

Been thinking boxing or crossfit, but I'm not sure.

You doing anything different this winter?

ceolwulf
09-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Kettle bells and XC skiing, for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rnhood
09-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Swimming for me. Love it. Almost as much as cycling.

I used to play racquetball too. Love that sport also, just that it's not so popular now and courts can be a challenge to find.

veggieburger
09-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Kettle bells and XC skiing, for me.

Kettle bells interest me. XC skiing is neat, but too much work to get to the trails.

I played squash & racquetball for years and years. I think those are still my favorite sports, they are just too punishing on the knees and feet.

shovelhd
09-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Intervals on the road and trainer. Snowboarding when I can.

teleguy57
09-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Had good results with kettlebells last winter, and am transitioning into them again. Love the turkish get up and what it does for me, as well as single and two-handed swings.

Love nordic skiing as well. While most folks recommend skating as working well for cyclists, my knees don't like it (which is good for me since I suck at it) and my old xc racing days were all classic, so I focus on the CV benefits of long days on skis as well as hillwork intervals.

Also looking forward (!) to more deliberate time on the rollers (with resistance) and Sufferfest vids.

stephenmarklay
09-08-2014, 09:18 PM
As above Sufferfest vids will be the staple with some endurance thrown in.

One way to "mimic" longer rides is to do some high intensity training like sufferfest vids or whatever and then do some endurance but without any food intake.

One good way is to do the high intensity in the evening and then not eaten much or any carbohydrates at night. Then train some endurance in the morning. This will do what longer rides do and get your body burning fat.

I will do some winter hikes also.

JAGI410
09-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Buying a new fatbike so I don't have to think about such atrocities as trainers and workout videos.

schwa86
09-09-2014, 05:32 AM
Not sure where you are geography-wise, but I upped this last winter and really liked it. Golf courses are your friend for nearby options, but I found that 20 minute drives were getting me to really nice state parks, conservation land etc -- which was a great way to explore new place (I am just outside Boston).

Concept II rower in the LR otherwise... there was a whole thread on that a couple of weeks ago. The things last forever -- I picked up one used closed to 20 years ago and its still going strong.

soulspinner
09-09-2014, 05:52 AM
Buying a new fatbike so I don't have to think about such atrocities as trainers and workout videos.

Thinking of this myself........

AJosiahK
09-09-2014, 06:37 AM
xc skiing for sure. Fun and great for cross training.

snow shoes are pretty fun too, cheaper than a full setup of xc skis.

Ive also invested in a set of awesome 29er studded tires, full fenders etc for my salsa fargo. Its the perfect winter rig

rugbysecondrow
09-09-2014, 07:33 AM
Kettlebells are great. Find an RKC instructor in your area and learn the proper movements. I find that the more KB work I do, the stronger my sholders and core become.

I also love doing Crossfit, but that is year round.

Me, I am taking up longboarding so I have been practicing few minutes each day trying to just get comfortable with it. I have never been a skateboarder, but I did do windsurfing some and I have pretty good balance, so I am trying to learn this.

I am going to MTB much more this fall too.

Cheers!

Ralph
09-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Just more cycling. Won't sweat as much now. But even us folks with year around riding have difficulty maintaining at peak for 12 months. If I get into one of those spells, weather below 45-50 or so in AM, I'll just do some hiking.

oldpotatoe
09-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Today I saw my first tree with brown leaves, which means winter is rapidly approaching. I had a good season, I feel lean and fit, and I don't want to lose it. I used to play racquetball, spin and do weights in the off season, but I think it's time to try something different.

Been thinking boxing or crossfit, but I'm not sure.

You doing anything different this winter?

Where are ya..as in previous thread..go get a cross bike, continue to ride and maybe race...or if ya want, build a fixie, continue to ride.

christian
09-09-2014, 08:54 AM
#cropfit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Ew0Zl0hGA

RedRider
09-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Yoga. Regardless of your age or current level of fitness yoga can improve your flexibility, range of motion and body alignment. A great way to improve in the off season and you'll probably stick with it through the following summer.

witcombusa
09-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Alpine skiing from December through to mid April :banana:

I love the 8/4 split in seasons, keeps both activities fresh for me.

torquer
09-09-2014, 09:58 AM
My wife (not an avid cyclist, mind you) took up roller skiing this summer. Depending on where you live, XC skiing (which is her primary winter sport) ofter requires a schlep to find trails, so I expect she'll be on the roller skis much of this winter as well.

Likes2ridefar
09-09-2014, 12:16 PM
basic DIY Yoga @ home and mountaineering.

Lewis Moon
09-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Where are ya..as in previous thread..go get a cross bike, continue to ride and maybe race...or if ya want, build a fixie, continue to ride.

What's up with all this winter training angst? I mean, is it so abhorrent to put knee warmers on and wear a Duofold long sleeve under your jersey? Sheesh.

http://topofusion.com/images/diary/azt%20057.jpg

veggieburger
09-10-2014, 11:13 AM

I'm in Canada. Last winter was one of the most vicious I can remember. Usually I stay outside on the MTB, but it was next to impossible. Gotta start planning ahead!

93legendti
09-10-2014, 11:18 AM
I'm in Canada. Last winter was one of the most vicious I can remember. Usually I stay outside on the MTB, but it was next to impossible. Gotta start planning ahead!

Not to mention the biggest pot holes I ever saw that cropped up last winter...no desire to ride on streets with snow covered bike and bike rider eating holes...

ceolwulf
09-10-2014, 11:38 AM

This winter is supposed to be the same :help:

OldCrank
09-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Cyclocross season is just starting! Should take you to the end of the year or so. DO IT DO IT DO IT

Am I really the first to mention this?? Or did I miss something...?

commonguy001
09-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Mountain biking, trail running and some time in the weight room.
When the snow flies XC skiing and fat biking with some snow shoeing if it gets real deep.
That along with healthy doses of Ranger IPA are my training plan until I start putting in trainer time in early 2015.

climbgdh
09-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Weight room stuff, yoga hopefully, skiing uphill (backcountry skiing), Nordic skiing and probably some time on trainer. I can also basically ride outside here in Vancouver year round but skiing takes precedence in the winter. :) :)

xia_ke
09-11-2014, 09:36 PM
This winter is supposed to be the same :help:

That's what I heard too. Not looking forward to a repeat of last winter :( I've got my cross country skis, snowshoes, and Salomon Spikecross shoes all ready to go. Hopefully, if funds allow, I'll also be able to pick up a set of rollers by the time the snow starts flying.