PDA

View Full Version : Rides within 200/300 miles of Asheville NC

Ginger
03-07-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm going to be in the greater Asheville North Carolina area from this Saturday afternoon 'til the following Sunday morning. A spring training/riding vacation.
Are there any "must do" road rides in that area? We'll be doing a part of the Assault on Mt. Mitchell (if anyone has a route sheet that's better than the one on the web site I'd greatly appreciate a copy!) but other than that...any ideas?
I'll be taking my mtb, but that might be mostly for decoration...I *may* do some riding down in Dupont, but this is mostly a road trip for me...

So...have road bike, will travel. Where should I go?

PeterW
03-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Call or drop by Liberty Bikes (close to the Parkway). They have a book of rides in the area, I think.

When I go, I ride from town, up the Parkway, to Mt. Mitchell. What an 'effen ride! World class. This ride is worth a repeat. The other big ride (as I remember) is rolling hills near Cane Creek HQ. Nice, but some industrial traffic during the week.

Route sheet for Mt. Mitchell?! The good part is up the Parkway, left up Mt. Mitchell. The flat part with turns is just getting there from South Carolina. You don't need a route sheet.

I don't ride a mountain bike (and I haven't seen Brokeback Mt.). BUT there are rides around Asheville that are among the best anywhere. I would certainly do some Pisgah rides. My mountain bike friends (mostly hillbillies) rave about the place. They throw their bikes in the back of a beaten-up pick-up, drive to the top, yeehaw all the way down.

Enjoy yourself. It is a great place to ride.

Ginger
03-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah, past years I've done the mtb thing; pisgah, tsali, dupont, but I've been recovering from an ACL replacement so I haven't been on the mtb enough to do NC...beautiful trails though, going both ways (up and down).

Johnnyg
03-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Yeah, past years I've done the mtb thing; pisgah, tsali, dupont, but I've been recovering from an ACL replacement so I haven't been on the mtb enough to do NC...beautiful trails though, going both ways (up and down).
Ginger as someone mentioned stop at Liberty Bike, very friendly, great store, and they have all the maps. Mitchell and Pisgah are a must if the weather is good. The parkway will not be open so no traffic but watch out for stuff in the road from the winter. The "Ox Creek Loop" is another epic ride. I love that town and the riding is world class. Have a great time and ride safe. JohnnyG

Tailwinds
03-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Ginger, the riding around there is awesome! Just watch out for dogs (see my concusson post in Shino's thread :crap: ). Look for Hwy. 80 (not really a highway, but a small switchback-y road) that leads up to where you take a left onto the parkway... it seemed damn steep at the time I rode it, but now I live in CO... so maybe it wouldn't seem as bad as when I lived in FL.

There is also the classic Tour Dupont "Lance" climb in Boone. There is a cool little bike shop there in downtown... Magic Cycles, I think.

BRP to Linville Falls is a great route. Lake Lure is a nice place to ride... a nice recovery day. Roane Mountain (on the border of TN/NC) looks like a fantastic ride, but I only saw it from the car.

There are so many... have fun!!

LegendRider
03-08-2006, 08:21 AM
When I go, I ride from town, up the Parkway, to Mt. Mitchell. What an 'effen ride! World class. This ride is worth a repeat. The other big ride (as I remember) is rolling hills near Cane Creek HQ. Nice, but some industrial traffic during the week.

Agreed. I do that ride every year and it's fantastic. You can also drive out on the Parkway to do an out-and-back. Be careful going south on the Parkway from Asheville - there are lots of tunnels that very scary without lights. Northbound has tunnels as well, but they are fewer and shorter. Enjoy.

kestrel
03-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Ginger, the riding around there is awesome! Just watch out for dogs (see my concusson post in Shino's thread :crap: ). Look for Hwy. 80 (not really a highway, but a small switchback-y road) that leads up to where you take a left onto the parkway... it seemed damn steep at the time I rode it, but now I live in CO... so maybe it wouldn't seem as bad as when I lived in FL.

There is also the classic Tour Dupont "Lance" climb in Boone. There is a cool little bike shop there in downtown... Magic Cycles, I think.

BRP to Linville Falls is a great route. Lake Lure is a nice place to ride... a nice recovery day. Roane Mountain (on the border of TN/NC) looks like a fantastic ride, but I only saw it from the car.

There are so many... have fun!!

If Ginger is coming from the Asheville side, she won't climb route 80. Leaving from Liberty bikes is a good idea, it's close to the Parkway, and you don't have to worry about directions. Just get on the Parkway going North. Stop and visit Craggy Gardens, then on up to Mt. Mitchell. Do the climb, or don't do the climb, then have a blast on the way back down to Asheville.

The route 80 climb would be from the Marion side of Mt. Mitchell. Up 80, then left on the Parkway, and over to Mitchell. 60+/- mile round trip, 30 miles up, and 30 miles back down with a few rollers in between.

Jeffie
03-08-2006, 11:16 AM
If you want to drive ~1hr south, there is a GOOD training ride on Saturday. See info here: http://www.freewheelers.info/series/

60miles with lots of climbing. Stops at a nice little bakery in Saluda.

*Edit*, In re-reading your post, I see you may not get in until Saturday afternoon. BUT - you still have the cue sheet to do the ride. I believe the bakery is only open wed-sun...

Looks like rain in the area Thursday night/Friday so the trails may be wet.

djg
03-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I don't know the area as well as others, but my wife's family has a place at Balsam, NC (near Waynesville) and there's some nice riding around there. There's a good sustained climb on the parkway from Balsam (at about 3,000 feet) to Waterrock Knob (over 6,000 feet) with good pavement, some great views, and (in my experience) limited traffic. This is all about 40 miles or so from Asheville.

Dr. Doofus
03-08-2006, 01:10 PM
rock hill is within 200 miles of asheville

of course,

why would one want to come here?

Ginger
03-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Hey, I'll go anywhere I can get free crash space and entertainment.

...you racing this weekend?

:)

Dr. Doofus
03-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Hey, I'll go anywhere I can get free crash space and entertainment.

...you racing this weekend?

:)

yup

but not next weekend