PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a Serotta part

cd_davis
09-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Hello all - I own a 1998 Serotta Legend Ti fitted with a titanium Serotta quill stem. The fork is 1 inch threaded.

The quill stem "cap" with an engraved Serotta S on top and rubber O ring bounced out of the stem while riding on a bumpy road. So I am looking for a replacement.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on where to source one. The stem is now "stoppered" with a cork from a bottle of vintage port. Does the job but has no aesthetics.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Bruce K
09-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Normally, this would be a no-no as a first post as it should be in the Classifieds and require a minimum post count

But we can sympathize on this one....

BK

RedRider
09-08-2014, 02:38 PM
I think the vintage port cork adds a nice touch... I've used similar for bar end plugs on my cross bike.

pbarry
09-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Use a soldering iron to burn an S into the cork. A a few coats of shellac and the stem will be featured on the Rivendell site. ;)

Black Dog
09-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Normally, this would be a no-no as a first post as it should be in the Classifieds and require a minimum post count

But we can sympathize on this one....

BK

Hey Bruce, I think he is asking where he might buy one not asking to buy one from the classifieds here.

That said, it will be impossible to source one commercially from anywhere and not from Serotta since they are out of business. Your best bet is to hang out here until you meet the requirements for posting in the classifieds and post a want to buy. There is no larger collection of serotta owners anywhere. If you are into bikes this is the most civil and knowledgable place on the web. Great people here and we all play well together, the vast majority of the time and have super moderators like Bruce who look after everything.

Your next option is to have a machine shop make one for you.

Louis
09-08-2014, 08:27 PM
a few coats of shellac and the stem will be featured on the Rivendell site. ;)

Only if he can also find a way to use hemp twine in the repair.

staggerwing
09-08-2014, 08:40 PM
It will not have an emblazoned "S" but if you have the proper ID and OD, I can spin up a softly rounded aluminum stopper, with an O-ring for a keeper. Could also do black acetal, if you think that look would be better.

pbarry
09-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Only if he can also find a way to use hemp twine in the repair.

Dang, Louis, thought I had everything covered, then you brought up the hemp twine. :help: Back to my R-Readers to study up.

It will not have an emblazoned "S" but if you have the proper ID and OD, I can spin up a softly rounded aluminum stopper, with an O-ring for a keeper. Could also do black acetal, if you think that look would be better.

Nothing to add. Go forth and prosper. :hello:

David Kirk
09-08-2014, 08:51 PM
There is a slim chance I have one.......I'll take a look at post back.

dave

----------------------

5 minutes later.......sorry - no dice. I recalled seeing something with the serotta S engraved and thought it could be a cap but it was a CNC'd rear brake hanger for MTB's and cross bikes.

Good luck!

Dave

cd_davis
09-08-2014, 08:55 PM
To all - thanks for the replies, I am laughing about the originality and humor in the responses. I was so overwhelmed, I had to open another bottle of the port to ensure I'll have another cork if I lose this one.

pbarry
09-08-2014, 09:02 PM
If staggerwing can do the job, I've got an original for a pattern to loan.

dave thompson
09-08-2014, 10:29 PM
To all - thanks for the replies, I am laughing about the originality and humor in the responses. I was so overwhelmed, I had to open another bottle of the port to ensure I'll have another cork if I lose this one.

30 year old Tawney of course!