PDA

View Full Version : Safe Travels Little Guys...

onekgguy
09-07-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm gonna miss these little guys when they soon fly south for the winter...

Video (https://vimeo.com/105496468)

Kevin g

josephr
09-07-2014, 04:47 PM
yours?? interesting use of a gopro! thanks!

weisan
09-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Magical!

dave thompson
09-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Hummingbirds are pretty cool. Fun to watch. They migrate thousands of miles every spring and fall, often flying 20 hours non-stop at 25mph! They're always welcome at my house.

onekgguy
09-07-2014, 05:28 PM
yours?? interesting use of a gopro! thanks!

Well, not mine but welcome to use my feeder any time!

After trying to attract them all summer long with very little success I finally started noticing them about two weeks ago. I changed up the water/sugar mixture to a 4:1 ratio and that seems to work. Prior to that I was using some bottled stuff I bought at the store and I never once saw them go near it.

Kevin g

nighthawk
09-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Thanks for sharing, that was awesome, especially the third angle. I've got a feeder up at my house, too. 4:1 ratio is the way to go. My girlfriend insists on getting them organic sugar. We have the whole foods of humming bird feeders.

SlackMan
09-07-2014, 05:38 PM
This reminds me: There is a poor hummingbird in our garage that I still need to get out without harming it. One of the awesome side effects of my wife's flower garden is being able to watch hummingbirds from my study and from our breakfast table. One of the unfortunate problems is that occasionally one gets trapped in our garage when we leave it open.

onekgguy
09-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Thanks for sharing, that was awesome, especially the third angle. I've got a feeder up at my house, too. 4:1 ratio is the way to go. My girlfriend insists on getting them organic sugar. We have the whole foods of humming bird feeders.

Thanks!

I had a friend from Australia tell me: "We used to feed the parrots using bread and sugar/water mix but stopped after reading how birds can become lazy and only seek out feeders thus becoming sick from a lack of a balanced diet. Which when you think about it, where would birds get cane sugar from in their natural environment. We do still feed them using a mixed parrot seed diet....being mindful that a couple of hundred wild parrots all feeding on your veranda = a lot of noise and bird poop."

He makes a good point. I dunno...maybe I'll try a couple feeders next year; one with the bottled stuff you buy in the store and the other a water/sugar mixture of my own. Perhaps the store-bought stuff is actually better for them.

Kevin g

guido
09-07-2014, 05:43 PM
That red liquid they sell doesn't work well at all. Simple sugar water is best. We get them from early June to mid September each year. We keep two feeders going all the time...

josephr
09-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Well, not mine but welcome to use my feeder any time!

After trying to attract them all summer long with very little success I finally started noticing them about two weeks ago. I changed up the water/sugar mixture to a 4:1 ratio and that seems to work. Prior to that I was using some bottled stuff I bought at the store and I never once saw them go near it.

Kevin g

the store bought stuff sucks as the birds don't care for it --- they'll even try to over-sell by saying it has vitamins and minerals, etc. Put it up early next year and clean/refill every 2-3 days with simple sugar water, 4:1 ratio is like crack cocaine to hummingbirds.