PDA

View Full Version : Way OT-coffee maker recs

oldpotatoe
09-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Ok, so I drink coffee in the AM..just a couple o' cups of coffee..Not a coffee(or beer) snob, just a cup of coffee..I don't grind it, I buy the stuff at the grocery that you choose and then grind..Peet's generally, just coffee.

My coffee maker is leaking..an old Krupps..time to replace.

so
-10-12 cups
-drip coffee maker
-metal carafe(not a burner that keeps it warm)
-self timer not required
-if in the process, you can still take the carafe out and pour w/o coffee going all over the place
-no leaking, Chernobyls, no mess..just a good, basic coffee maker
-metal basket, no throw-away paper filters...

I wanna get up, the coffee is made(set it up the night before), get a cup, read the paper before I go mannying..

Also would like to look for and buy local.

so.....thanks in advance.

AngryScientist
09-07-2014, 08:34 AM
i have an older BUNN unit that works just great. we only use it when we have parties or something, since i'm the only coffee drinker in the house, and i use a single cup maker. if i were buying a new one, the Bonavita consistently gets great reviews though, and is when i would buy if mine ever goes south.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61k06qnShML._SL1500_.jpg

DRZRM
09-07-2014, 08:35 AM
I like the Capresso MT600. Everything you list. Brews a nice cup of coffee, though I'd recommend a nice burr grinder to fresh grind your coffee.

bcgav
09-07-2014, 08:38 AM
+1 to what AngryScientist recommended, the Bonavita. I currently have a Technivorm Moccamaster and the Bonavita is at the top of my list if/when it needs replacement. I don't recommend setting it up the night before, freshly grind your beans immediately before brewing. Letting the ground coffee sit in the basket will oxidize it and you'll miss out on getting the best flavor.

Here's a good brewing guide for the Bonavita (http://www.georgehowellcoffee.com/brew-guide/bonavita/).

josephr
09-07-2014, 08:38 AM
we use a coffee press....pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. I don't think any particular brand is that much better/worse than any other. The Publix took out the in-store coffee grinder so we bought one of those burr grinders which isn't too fussy. now we buy Aldi coffee. Its decent enough and cheap!
Joe

malcolm
09-07-2014, 08:41 AM
http://coffee-makers-review.toptenreviews.com/

Here spud some light reading over your morning coffee

jr59
09-07-2014, 08:49 AM
yep, I use this one;

http://coffee-makers-review.toptenreviews.com/cuisinart-coffee-maker-review.html

oldpotatoe
09-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks all..great info..and I'm gonna get the Bonavita..like it's simplicity..like friction shifters...

dogdriver
09-07-2014, 09:02 AM
+1 the Technivorm. Mine is about 15 years old and still makes drip coffee as good as any I've had at any coffee house. My machine has been responsible for about 10 friends/family buying their own after they drink coffee out of ours. That said, I'm always searching for a replacement and will look into the BonaVita. Drip coffee isn't rocket science-- its just about water temperature and pour rate-- whatever maker you get, make sure that the first glug of water is hot enough to make good coffee. With the "cheap" machines, the water starts out pretty lukewarm, then gradually heats up as the process goes. That's why a whole pot tastes pretty good, but a "small batch" brew doesn't. The Techivorm has a massive heating element, which makes for a 2 cup brew tasting as good as 10 cups.

Edit-- If you choose to geek out, here's Sweet Maria's page on coffee makers:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/brewing/coffee-brewers/electric-brewers.html

They like the Bonavita-- high praise from serious coffee snobs geekdom!

Road Fan
09-07-2014, 09:12 AM
We have a Braun 10-cup with a metal carafe that just has an on/off switch. It uses the Melitta paper or metal basket, has no electronics, and no water path in the lid. You can use a filter for the water, but we pour it from a filtered pitcher, so we don't need extra filters.

We do what you did - fill the coffeemaker the night before, wake up, push the button. The carafe keeps it warm about 2 hours. In Colorado it would probably cool a little faster, it always seemed to me that food cooled faster when I lived in Denver than in the Midwest.

You shouldn't need a specialty store to find one - here we see them at department stores, household stores, and big-boxes. Boulder has a few of those! If I recall, McGuckin's Hardware if it's still there has a pretty big home and kitchen section.

malcolm
09-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Thanks all..great info..and I'm gonna get the Bonavita..like it's simplicity..like friction shifters...

Just be careful, I seem to remember back in the friction days being really tired and shifting a little further across the cassette than I wanted to. Don't know how that translates to a coffee pot but it could be a disaster.

Road Fan
09-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Just be careful, I seem to remember back in the friction days being really tired and shifting a little further across the cassette than I wanted to. Don't know how that translates to a coffee pot but it could be a disaster.

Even without coffee, should not be a problem if your limit screws are set right!

Moral: be sure you have your coffee before messing with the limit screws!

carpediemracing
09-07-2014, 10:45 AM
You said that you're getting a Bonavita but I figured I'd pipe for for future reference.

We have a Cuisinart 10 cup thing. I just looked at it, apparently it has a charcoal filter. We use a paper filter in the metal basket thing. Carafe. Coffee still steams, if the carafe is totally full, about 8 hours later. If the carafe is not totally full it cools down quicker.

Def not a coffee snob as our current coffee was such that some barista guy literally gagged on some of its competitors. We got one that he thinks is actually passable (although the aroma is one that he describes as "burnt hair")
https://www.yahoo.com/food/we-got-a-champion-barista-to-rank-the-sub-par-coffee-87315012866.html

pdmtong
09-07-2014, 10:46 AM

When our previous Braun died we splurged and got the bonavita. Amazon.
It works great

Easy to use

However the change from glass carafe on a heat pad causes a behavior change. These are not negatives but duh. Life is now different

- when the coffee is done you need to bring the pot and filter basket over to the sink and take the filter off and put the insulated top on

- have only used paper filter. When done goes into our compost No idea if metal filter works

- nice you can now put carafe directly on a table or counter

- carafe has to be hand washed A sponge head on a wand is included
No more glass carafe in dishwasher

- coffee will stay warm for about an hour or two in there. I know when there is say half a cup left in there in a few hours it's room temp and not hot. But that's low volume and the end so might not be the right test. So don't view this like a Nissan double wall steel all day hot thermos We've never had a need for a full pot that lasts for a couple hours so don't really know. It certainly keeps it hot over our drinking timeframe though

- we grind with a capresso burr grinder before use

- best deal on peets is 2 pound of major at costco

- yup peets here too. Recently had some stumptown hair bender and found it nice but we still prefer darker roasts. Our house blend is half French half Costa Rica Blue Bottle is great too

Ken C
09-07-2014, 10:57 AM

I have the Bonavita and it works great. Pretty simple, but does the things right that it should. Namely brew temp, grind saturation and brew time. Carafe keeps the coffee hot for a while. Brewing Market carries them, that is where I purchased mine. They also have the metal filters as the maker does not come with one.

Steve in SLO
09-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Friction shifters?
In our house we are even more retro grouchy, kind of like gravel roads and flip-flop hubs in the Tour de France.
We have a Farberware Superfast model 122 percolator that makes 12 cups of good strong coffee in about 10 minutes. I think I paid around $15 for it landed from eBay. We have had it for over 10 years and it is still going strong. The key is by an old one made in New York, not any of the new Chinese junk ones.

Ken Robb
09-07-2014, 11:26 AM
I like good coffee but I'm no snob. I buy good beans at COSTCO and grind them just before brewing in the inexpensive burr grinder that is also from COSTCO. The beans I buy are from various parts of the world where good coffee grows. My current supply is from Costa Rica but I have also enjoyed beans from Guatemala, Sumatra,etc. as the available supply changes. All of them have been fairly dark roasts. $15-18 for 3 pounds. :)

zmudshark
09-07-2014, 11:36 AM
I have a Technivorm as well. The Moccamaster model. It's not auto, but the best coffee you ever made at home, and brews real darn fast.

It's the Campagnolo Super Record of coffee makers.

merlincustom1
09-07-2014, 12:01 PM
I've had a Technivorm for 8 years with no issues. The Bonavita is touted to be as good. It hasn't been around as long, so there's no longevity data. Technivorm has a 5 year warranty, Bonavita 2, FWIW. I'd say those are the two best drip brewers out there, based on personal experience and what I've read about the Bonavita.

Now that you're no longer chained to the shop, OP, you could try wrapping your head around a Siphon. Now that's a cup of coffee.

rugbysecondrow
09-07-2014, 12:26 PM
I went from a Bunn to this, and it is a great coffee maker. The stainless carafe is nice and keeps coffee hot all day long.

Also, as much as I wanted to keep supporting BUNN, made in my hometown, the wasted energy in having the reservoir hot all the time was just not justifiable.

Anyway, I really enjoy this coffee maker.

i have an older BUNN unit that works just great. we only use it when we have parties or something, since i'm the only coffee drinker in the house, and i use a single cup maker. if i were buying a new one, the Bonavita consistently gets great reviews though, and is when i would buy if mine ever goes south.

raygunner
09-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Great post...I was just wandering the aisles of Target last night trying to figure out what coffee maker was best.

Highpowernut
09-07-2014, 12:39 PM
I use a breville and it grinds the beans then makes the pot. Works great little pita to clean but worth it to me. I just buy bulk beans from samsclub .

oldpotatoe
09-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Got one, Bonavita, none locally(hey, I tried).....I'll report back. Thanks again for the OT info.

bcgav
09-07-2014, 02:49 PM

Use this (http://amzn.com/B000FDDV8A) with hot water, rinse with warm water to keep the carafe clean. I have an Amazon subscription 1 bottle every 3 months. A little goes a long way.

If you want to ditch paper filters, you can use any #4 gold filter, clean with same stuff as above.

Due to the relatively low brewing capacity, if you need to entertain and make a 2nd pot, I highly recommend Zojirushi Thermal Carafes (http://amzn.com/B0016S4TJS) to transfer your 1st pot and keep it piping hot while making a 2nd pot..

wgp
09-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Late to the party, but another enthusiastic thumbs up for the Bonavita! Had it for 4 months now and it makes superb coffee without any added-on perks (timers, etc).

pdmtong
09-07-2014, 03:06 PM
FWIW, I previously worked at a place that had one of those $4000 Jura grinder/brewer all in one with an outboard milk chiller.

push a button, bam...coffee, espresso, latte.

this thing was cranking coffee out all day long for 75 people. It made a fantastic cup of coffee,

zap
09-07-2014, 03:30 PM
I have a Technivorm as well. The Moccamaster model. It's not auto, but the best coffee you ever made at home, and brews real darn fast.

It's the Campagnolo Super Record of coffee makers.

Agree.

Could not have written better myself.

nicrump
09-07-2014, 03:35 PM
nothing screams fiction shifting like a bodum french press...

Walter
09-07-2014, 04:13 PM
I have had great luck with the Capresso. Simple, thermal metal carafe, no hot plate, timer...and most of all, very simple to use

JAGI410
09-07-2014, 10:44 PM
I have this one: https://www.cuisinart.com/products/coffee_makers/chw-12.html

Bonus is the hot water dispenser on the side, perfect for tea, oatmeal, or using my Aeropress coffee maker when I want rocket fuel/snob coffee.

Ken Robb
09-08-2014, 10:55 AM
I use a Cuisineart 6 cup drip/#2 paper filter which is a good size for Les and me. It really make 3 mugs of coffee and that's plenty because we only drink it in the morning so our old 12 cup machine was bigger than we needed.

The smaller machine makes a better load of 6 cups coffee than our 12 cup machine did when I only made 6 cups in it. This MIGHT be because the path of hot water through a "stack" of ground coffee in the basket/filter is critical to developing good flavor. Thinking a bit more: # 2 filters are cone-shaped and the is a bigger filter with the same shape (#4?) and they might work the same when brewing only 6 cups but my 12 cup machine used the round flat-bottomed filters so when I made a six-cup load the hot water flowed through a shallower spread out "stack" of grounds and that may have had a deleterious effect on my java.

What do our experts think? Should we avoid makers that are bigger than we normally need?

shamsixnine
09-08-2014, 01:00 PM
This is what I've been using. For me, a priority is HOT coffee. And this delivers perfect Hot coffee every time. Easy to use, reusable basket, and thermal carafe.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-2900-Thermal-Programmable-Coffeemaker/dp/B006UKKLAI/ref=sr_1_13?s=kitchen&srs=2587949011&ie=UTF8&qid=1410199090&sr=1-13&keywords=cuisinart+coffee+maker

bcgav
09-20-2014, 06:35 AM
OP: Any updates?

oldpotatoe
09-20-2014, 06:51 AM
OP: Any updates?

Have the Bonavita..works well, makes great coffee, it's simple and to the point..very happy.

US company, but 'hecho in China'..guess I shouldn't be surprised..

Cicli
09-20-2014, 06:53 AM
Good choice. My Bonavita is the best coffee maker I have ever owned. Simple and to the point.

bcgav
09-20-2014, 07:03 AM
Have the Bonavita..works well, makes great coffee, it's simple and to the point..very happy.

US company, but 'hecho in China'..guess I shouldn't be surprised..

Awesome, thanks for the update. It's at the top of my short list when my current maker needs replacement (Technivorm Moccama$ter). It's already been serviced once for a defective float switch.

Onno
09-20-2014, 08:11 AM
I have the Technivorm and the Bonavita, and can confirm that the latter is better. Just as hot and fast, but simpler and actually, somehow makes better coffee.

saab2000
09-20-2014, 08:23 AM
I just bought a Keurig. I'm not a coffee drinker and am a huge soda addict. But today is now day two of trying to be soda free. Made it through yesterday.

This is an experiment for me and I know the Keurig is not everyone's favorite but it was right there at Target and I don't really need to know a thing about how to use it.

Very simple to use.

The main thing is to get off the soda. I hope that is successful. I've been hooked for decades, literally.

malcolm
09-20-2014, 08:28 AM
I just bought a Keurig. I'm not a coffee drinker and am a huge soda addict. But today is now day two of trying to be soda free. Made it through yesterday.

This is an experiment for me and I know the Keurig is not everyone's favorite but it was right there at Target and I don't really need to know a thing about how to use it.

Very simple to use.

The main thing is to get off the soda. I hope that is successful. I've been hooked for decades, literally.

I've gone from one extreme to the other. I used to roast my own beans and French press everything. I now use the keurig almost exclusively. Is it the best coffee you'll ever drink, no. It's marginally acceptable but it's quick and satisfies the caffeine need. It took a week or so to get used to and now I love it.

bcgav
09-20-2014, 08:30 AM

Very simple to use.

Congrats and good luck. The evidence about the negative health effects of soda, both sweetened with HFCS and artificial sweeteners is pretty much indisputable at this point. http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/09/artificial-sweeteners-may-leave-their-users-glucose-intolerant/

SodaStream for seltzer? They make some excellent all-natural/unsweetened flavors.

Seramount
09-20-2014, 08:40 AM
...bodum french press...

my choice too...

saab2000
09-20-2014, 08:42 AM
Congrats and good luck. The evidence about the negative health effects of soda, both sweetened with HFCS and artificial sweeteners is pretty much indisputable at this point. http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/09/artificial-sweeteners-may-leave-their-users-glucose-intolerant/

SodaStream for seltzer? They make some excellent all-natural/unsweetened flavors.

I hope any negative things I may have incurred are reversible. My late father tried for years to get me off the stuff, and I've always known he was right, but like any addiction, it's easier said than done. Smokers, smokeless tobacco, etc. are highly addictive and I'm positive the soda companies have known addictive substances in their product beyond the caffeine.

We'll see. Made it through yesterday. :)

The hardest place is going to be at work, where I have access to unlimited amounts of free soda. I'll try to substitute water during flights and coffee on the ground.

Sorry for the tangent but I'd rather drink coffee than diet soda and this thread caught my eye.

oldpotatoe
09-20-2014, 08:43 AM
my choice too...

When I'm at my son's mannying his grand daughters, I have a really nice, metal french press for some morning coffee while wrangling in the grandkid rodeo...so how do you grind the coffee? Course? Fine? Something else?

dogdriver
09-20-2014, 09:29 AM
When I'm at my son's mannying his grand daughters, I have a really nice, metal french press for some morning coffee while wrangling in the grandkid rodeo...so how do you grind the coffee? Course? Fine? Something else?

Experiment to your liking, but start "coarse" for the French Press. I, liking soupy, sludgy, generally nasty strong brew, will grind a little fine from the coarse end of things in order to achieve a little suspended sediment in the cup, but I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point. Start with the "coarse" setting if you have a burr grinder, or think 1/16" pebbles if you are using a blade grinder. Adjust to taste. Enjoy the grandkids.

bcroslin
09-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Hario V60 pour-over coffee dripper - $18. Best cup of coffee you'll ever make and super simple. I've spent thousands on coffee paraphernalia and the espresso machine, nepresso machine, vacuum pot, aeropress, etc are all stored away under the counter. You'll need a decent burr grinder and kettle as well but you may have both already.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/hario-coffee-dripper-v60-white-ceramic

Elefantino
02-14-2016, 10:56 AM
Just got the 8-cup Bonavita and it's easily the best we've ever had. We had a real high-zoom KitchenAid before and it was good but the difference is remarkable.

adhumston
02-14-2016, 11:27 AM
Just got the 8-cup Bonavita and it's easily the best we've ever had. We had a real high-zoom KitchenAid before and it was good but the difference is remarkable.

I also purchased the same, and am extremely satisfied with it. Add in a decent grinder and some relatively freshly roasted beans of your choice = a great cup of coffee.

SoCalSteve
02-14-2016, 03:43 PM
Or take it up a notch:

Bunn Trifecta drip coffee machine

Baratza Vario - W grinder

Klatch Roasting beans

Makes single cup only, but it is by far the best cup of drip coffee you can get from a machine. Pour over is probably a bit better, but really time consuming and fussy.

93legendti
02-14-2016, 04:01 PM
Sounds like OP is all set, but for the sake of argument, a stove top moka pot seems friction shifter like to me. Great tasting coffee. They come in all sizes. This one is 4 cups.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KG9F4SS?psc=1

Lovetoclimb
02-14-2016, 04:06 PM
Technivorm Moccamaster

Exonerv
02-14-2016, 04:39 PM
Technivorm Moccamaster

This...if my Technivorm KBT-741 died tomorrow, I'd go right out and buy another one despite the apparent high price. Makes great coffee if you're willing to take a little extra time and learn how to get the most out of it.

SlackMan
02-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Technivorm Moccamaster

A friend at work has the Technivorm and I have the Bonavita. After taste testing both, I prefer the Bonavita (as did other coworkers). And the Bonavita is much cheaper too.

bcroslin
02-14-2016, 05:48 PM
8 cup Bonavita makes great coffee period. We own one and it does exactly what it says on the tin. It's also easy to clean and doesn't look like a science experiment like the Technivorm.

velomonkey
02-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Serious question for the technivorm lovers (of which I am one). Seems we are having calcium build up - I've cleaned it and the water comes out in a spray as opposed to a single stream, but after 3 uses we are back to a single stream - if I hang around and move the bar that puts out the water I get all the beans soaked and a much better cup: if I don't we get a weaker cup cause only the center beans are soaked.

Anyone else have this issue: it somewhat negates the point of a drip maker.

eak12
02-14-2016, 05:59 PM
(never mind- accidental reply)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

jvp
02-14-2016, 06:57 PM
I went to pour over last year, tired of maintaining machines. Not much more prep required, but I did buy a nice Japanese kettle to make the pouring easy.

Llewellyn
02-14-2016, 07:27 PM
An Italian friend of mine who knows coffee saw my stove top pot and said "that's all you need". Good enough recommendation for me.

AJosiahK
02-15-2016, 06:29 AM
Yao

Bonavita makes a good home brew machine, highly reccomend that.

If your more into aesthetics... check this out. called the Ratio... google search ratio coffee

Higher quality brew process in a cool looking package, not sure Id drop that much doe for one though... still its neato

For me, I use a Baratza Virtuoso grinder, and either an Aeropress, chemex, or Kalita wave as maker!

tumbler
02-15-2016, 11:02 PM
if i were buying a new one, the Bonavita consistently gets great reviews though, and is when i would buy if mine ever goes south.

I bought this one several months ago and would recommend it. It's simple to use and makes a great cup.

benjamine74
02-16-2016, 01:19 AM
If a mokka pot is the equivalent of friction shifters than the Atomic is the
c-record of coffee machines.
http://www.atomiccoffeemachines.com.au
So pretty you wouldn't care if it didn't make coffee at all. But it makes great espresso and cappuccino.

holliscx
02-16-2016, 01:40 AM
Moccamaster is the best in class

http://www.moccamaster.com/se/brewers/

veloduffer
02-16-2016, 12:24 PM
We had our Bonavita for a year now and very happy after various Braun, Krups and Mr Coffee. Simple, easy to clean - darn good coffee. We also like the stainless carafe instead of a hot plate.

William
02-16-2016, 02:13 PM
If a mokka pot is the equivalent of friction shifters than the Atomic is the
c-record of coffee machines.
http://www.atomiccoffeemachines.com.au
So pretty you wouldn't care if it didn't make coffee at all. But it makes great espresso and cappuccino.

Not in the market...but I have to say, that is very cool.:cool:

On that side line, anyone try the ROK yet? http://www.rokkitchentools.com

William