PDA

View Full Version : Legend Ti Build ?

Kingfisher
09-07-2014, 07:40 AM
Finally got around to building up my wife's "new" bike last night. Early 90's Colorado Legend Ti with 6800 group and just have a couple of questions to those familiar with this setup.

First off, all components went on perfectly...put in rear wheel to dropouts (shimano ultegra 6800 wheels with Vredestein 23mm fortezza tri comps) and was amazed at the clearance or lack of between chainstays. Wheel went in perfectly but clearance on either side of tire is only 2-3mm. Does this sound right? I'm just used to more clearance with my csi and caad 10 frames. It's no big deal, just tight.

Secondly, on 6800 front derailleurs, i can't seem to get it adjusted properly, ie chain rub in big ring, trimming isn't working correctly, etc. i read something about a converter??, a way of routing the cabling dependent on your frame and cable coming up from bb.

any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

oldpotatoe
09-07-2014, 07:57 AM
Finally got around to building up my wife's "new" bike last night. Early 90's Colorado Legend Ti with 6800 group and just have a couple of questions to those familiar with this setup.

First off, all components went on perfectly...put in rear wheel to dropouts (shimano ultegra 6800 wheels with Vredestein 23mm fortezza tri comps) and was amazed at the clearance or lack of between chainstays. Wheel went in perfectly but clearance on either side of tire is only 2-3mm. Does this sound right? I'm just used to more clearance with my csi and caad 10 frames. It's no big deal, just tight.

Secondly, on 6800 front derailleurs, i can't seem to get it adjusted properly, ie chain rub in big ring, trimming isn't working correctly, etc. i read something about a converter??, a way of routing the cabling dependent on your frame and cable coming up from bb.

any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Did ya get this thingy?

Essential...and the front der will work. Where to pit that plate, and how the cable goes thru it and around the little posts..

Kingfisher
09-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Nope, i would have noticed, didn't arrive with the grouppo..hmmmm, now i wonder why the seller didn't have components in oem boxes.

Kingfisher
09-07-2014, 08:09 AM
so it essentially is cable routing two different ways either using the little post or not??

oldpotatoe
09-07-2014, 08:13 AM
so it essentially is cable routing two different ways either using the little post or not??

That is correct, depends on how the cable goes to the front der from the BB shell..either around the little tab or not, and it depends on how to position the wee plate behind the fixing bolt..gotta take that off, put in plastic tool, and then replace accordingly..see if yer LBS has one..

I see the 6800 one is different(thanks shimano)

6800/9000 fder adjust can be a challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOzcoYV1Zcg

Joachim
09-07-2014, 08:15 AM
I thought 6800 had only one position while 9000 has two. But maybe I'm wrong on that one since I use a 9000 fd with 6800. But yes that guide thing is needed.

cmg
09-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Do you really need the thingy? couldn't you try both settings and see which one shifts betrer?

Kingfisher
09-07-2014, 01:54 PM
yep, don't need the thingie, tried the opposite way and viola!!! it works.

thanks guys for the input...i was up til 1200 last night trying to figure out!!!